“Could do a LOT better” 2 of 5 stars

Plaza Gipuzkoa 2, 20004 San Sebastian - Donostia, Spain   |
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Could do a LOT better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

We stayed with Urban House as it was recommended by Busabout. We were first left and ignored because we weren't staying in a dorm room on our arrival but eventually were taken to the separate building we'd be staying in (after a short stop at a third building to get the key). The apartment itself was nice, but there were some problems while we were there. Initially we were told by others staying there, that there was no hot water for showers, altogether we stayed 3 nights and during that time (after someone complained) a plumber came in to fix the hot water problem... which he did (eventually, it took a full day - I think he went off for a siesta in the middle) but then the water was SO hot, and the handle of the shower kept flying off so we couldn't adjust the temperature, or switch the shower off completely, so it ran all night. We couldn't believe how little the staff seemed to care about how much water was being wasted.
The kitchen has breakfast food to help yourself with, but I saw a cockroach in amongst the bags of bread and cereal which put me off.
These problems weren't MAJOR but I think they could do a lot to improve the place.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011 via mobile

The only positive about this hostel is the location. I stayed in a 4 bed dorm in a building away from the main reception. The room was absolutely filthy, I don't think the floors had been cleaned ever and there were 2 used condoms next to the bed. The bathrooms were disgusting and not nearly enough of them for a whole floor of people. The kitchen was poorly stocked with not enough bowls or cups. Staff unprofessional and generally unhelpful. Far too expensive for what it is. Would definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011

Travelers are raving about these San Sebastian - Donostia hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011 via mobile

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at this hostel after seeing its website, however don't be fooled!

On our first night, we had a terrible nights sleep after having to listen to our roomate row with his girlfriend for over two hours, listening to him barging in and out and saying he was going to "kill everyone in this room"! Next morning, my girlfriend went to the reception to complain only to be greeted by a member of staff who just shrugged his sholders, hardly uttered a word apart from telling her to go and tell someone else about it. We felt that this was an appalling way to treat paying customers who had a valid complaint.

Our room seemed to be on an 'unfinished' floor with dated decor and in dire need of a coat of paint. There was a sort of double door to the room which didn't keep the faintest whisper out. The floors were really dirty and obviously hadn't been cleaned for weeks. On our last evening a new couple arrived at our room telling us that they had been moved to five different rooms in the space of a week.

The toilets and showers again were dirty. There were four toilet/showers on our floor - two had no locks and two had no lights.

The kitchen was also unclean, and could hardly justify the breakfast being called a breakfast.

The keys to our floor and room hadn't been cut properly which made gaining access really difficult, to the extent that some left their rooms unlocked - this problem seemed to be experienced by everyone.

The clientel wers mainly Australian backpackers. Apart from the first arguing couple we had, our roomates were friendly.

Good points are that rooms have a balcony overlooking the streets, the location is good and beer is available for 1euro a can. But, the negatives do outweigh the positives. We felt that the lack of cleanliness, lack of facilities, noisy rooms, hardly any security, and a few rude members of staff made the hostel a terrible 'value-for-money'.

If you are on holiday in Donostia and are looking for a comfortable and pleasant hostel/accomodation, then spend the extra 5euro to get a room that is value-for-money - we certainly regreted the decision to go for cheap before quality.

• Stayed September 2011
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011 via mobile

Not a bad backpackers overall, staff friendly and helpful though a little disorganised. Wifi was extremely slow and often dropped out for long periods of time but there are laptops to use. Mattresses were terrible! Left with such a sore back and found myself trying to position my body between the springs. They were really creaky and noisy too so you felt like you were waking the dorm by turning over. Good sized rooms but none of the powerpoints in the room worked which was a real nuisance.

• Stayed September 2011
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here 3 nights and on the first night got NO sleep as the walls here are so thin and we could hear everything coming from the party that some of the other guests decided to have in the kitchen down the hall. The hostel is set out in several buildings so you may not be in the same building as reception. We spent our first night in a room that had clearly only had the beds changed (the floor was filthy and unswept) and our door had no lock, you could only lock it on the outside which is useless and no lockers were provided. As a result nearly our entire floor got robbed in the early hours of the morning, as the culprit was able to move freely between rooms, we awoke to someone trying to get into my luggage!! We complained and were moved to another of the hostels buildings (they have a few scattered around the town) which was much nicer, cleaner and situated amongst the old town.

• Stayed August 2011
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

Stayed at this hostel not by choice during running of the bulls festival in July 2010. My friends and I were part of the busabout tour.

Ok so...

Good: location and staffs are friends. The hostel is very closed to restaurants, the beach, the shops. In short, it is well located.

Bad: The shower, where do I even begin. There are two showers for the whole floor. It was kinds small, old and not the cleaness shower. You have to push a small button to get the water going which lasts only a few seconds. Then you have to push it again. And again. And again.(This goes on until you finish showering),

The common room, small, messy, dark. You can hear whatever going on in the common room from all of the rooms. Which means lack of sleep at night.

The bed, not comfy, not sure if the sheets are clean.

Next time I go to San Sebastian I would definetely pay more. San Sebastian itself is a very very beautiful town. Go crazy with the pinxtos!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Prague
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I stayed at this hostel during 2 nights at the beginning of August. Since I have read some reviews I expected messy check-in because they have more buildings where the accommodation is offered. But you can't complain because they explain it in arrival info. I stayed in the building on the corner of Elcano and Bengoetxea street, 2 minutes walking distance from the main building on Boulevard.

First of all, I was surprised by attitude of the staff. They were all helpful and answered my questions with smiles on their faces. The second positive is definitely the location. My house was approx. 2 minutes walking far away from Playa Concha Beach.

I stayed in 4-beds dorm, which was clean, with terrace and lockers. Wifi access was free in the lobby as well as in my room (but not sure if in each of them). Showers and toilets were OK, could have been cleaner...

They also offer free breakfast but I didn't try it. 50 metres from the hostel you can find very nice cafe which offers great breakfast (coffee, croissant, fresh juice...). Kitchen with amenities is possible to use as well.
I recommend you to buy food at the big shopping mall "La Bretxa" at Boulevard street, where you can find supermarket, laundry service etc. Only a few steps further you can find Information center for tourists where you'll get all the essential information about what to do there. They speak also English and French.

To sum it up, San Sebastian is amazing (but expensive) city and Urban House is a great place to stay during your visit. But if you prefer quiet place to have a rest and sleep well, choose the other one.

Room Tip: Write an e-mail in advance in order to get a building (room) which meets your expectations.