“Perfect location in old town with authentic feeling.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pension Mendez I y II

You added Pension Mendez I y II to your Saves list
Pension Mendez I y II
Calle Santa Maria / Andramari Kalea, N 13, 48005 Bilbao, Spain (Bilbo Zaharra)   |
Ranked #12 of 22 Bilbao B&B and Inns
Nijmegen
“Perfect location in old town with authentic feeling.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Friendly owner with very little english ability. Set in an old building in the heart of old town. Beautiful, somewhat unrestored staircase to the first floor setting. Simple, clean rooms with balconies on the street side and yet quiet when the doors were closed. We looked at one room in the back but it smelled a little musty. No frills or breakfast (you must just walk out the front door and we certainly didn't go hungry in Bilbao) but a good value in the right location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

London England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

There are two levels of accommodation at this address. I stayed in the more basic in 2006 and even though it was acceptable, I decided on this visit to say in the slightly more expensive pension on the first floor. (I think they are owned by the same people) This time the man who showed me to my room, did the cleaning and was the only member of staff I saw during the entire 5 days I was there. He was perfectly pleasant. It's in a marvellous location surrounded by all the bars, so there's a certain amount of street activity, but, hey, we're in Spain. I would certainly stay there again, but noted that the place is up for sale. Breakfast isn't available, but who needs that when cafes are everywhere.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

Although I had booked a single room, and was quoted a rate of 25 euros at the time of reservation, the staff insisted on charging me 30 euros on my arrival because the only remaining room had two beds (though I was traveling alone). As it was the evening of a holiday weekend, I had no choice but to stay.

Staff also were wholly disinterested in addressing the issue of extremely noisy guests, and generally seemed to treat guests with a combination of neglect and suspicion.

The hostal's rooms with shared bathroom are on the fourth floor of a walk-up-only building. The walls are paper-thin. The windows have no effect in blocking the substantial street noise. Threadbare sheets cover the beds, and the furniture and floors are scarred and neglected.

A powerful stale cooking smell permeates the halls and rooms of the hostal.

The sheets and towels did appear to be clean.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Chester, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2004

Booked by mistake and too much trouble to change once I was there, nevertheless, this basic hostal was excellent value for money. No breakfast but the beds were very comfortable (and I, a slipped disc sufferer!), and the whole place was spotless. Cash only I'm afraid-too unsophistocated for credit cards.Fantastic position in the centre of the old quarter. Fall out into bars and cafes too numerous to mention. I have stayed in hotels all around the world and would stay here next time I come. My daughter lives just around the corner!!, and although I repeat, it has very basic rooms-the ones at the front have a balcony looking out onto the old streets (which can be noisy) but was no problem to me in October. 36 Euro per night !!!
Kathy.

Been to Pension Mendez I y II? Share your experiences!