“Great experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 29 Activities in Bilbao
More attraction details
Owner description: Come and join us for an unforgettable visit to Bilbao!Welcome to Eusko Greeters, a non-profit organization founded in 2011 that offers visitors a new form of alternative tourism and, in particular, a new welcoming policy based on voluntary participation. The main objective of this service is the cultural exchange, for the visitors and Greeters (locals). Eusko Greeters has already launched the Bilbao Greeters Program to provide the service, free of charge, in Bilbao and the surroundings. Donostia and Gasteiz programs will follow soon. Please register, via email, at least two weeks in advance of your arrival in Bilbao.
acapulco
4 attraction reviews
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I learned about it in Tripadvisor and thought it was a good opportunity to know Bilbao from a local point of view. I was not disappointed. On the contrary it was a superb experience to have José María take care of me one morning despite the rain and the cold.

We visited the new and old Bilbao and his enthusiasm about his "villa" was contagious. We ended up having a superb lunch at a small restaurant in the old town where he recommended truly good spanish plates.

I fell in love with Bilbao and his people and no doubt Bilbao greeters was a key part of it.

Hope to go back some time in the future.

Visited February 2013

Barcelona, Spain
20 attraction reviews
“The best way to visit Bilbao!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

It was an amazing experience. The people of Bilbao Greeters are truly devoted to their program.
I just found out about the program a day prior to my arrival to Bilbao, and I wrote to them, even thought it was short notice, they were able to include me in a visit with a History professor about the bridges in Bilbao. Which was really interesting. And then there was a volunteer available to show me the city.
The visit was great! He show me just the kind of thinks I was interested in visiting and we went to places I don't think I would have been able to see by myself It was a truly amazing experience, and I would love to do it again if I ever go back to Bilbao, or any other city that has the same greeters program.

London, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“The best thing to do in Bilbao!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

This is my second experience with Bilbao Greeters, and there are not words enough to express my gratitude and appreciation for this amazing organization. I went on a tour with Bilbao Greeters during the final days of my last visit, and they persuaded me that I needed to return to this amazing region and city. I am so glad that I did, and I am so glad that the first thing I did when planning this trip was to make arrangements with Bilbao Greeters.

During the five days that I spent in Bilbao, the Greeters assisted me every day, making suggestions about where to eat (even writing down menu items to help us avoid an allergy so all we had to do was present the slip of paper at the restaurant). sites to see, how to navigate the public transportation system, festivals to attend, and of course insights into the history and culture that make this city and region great.

Most of all, Bilbao Greeters is a wonderful way to meet sincerely warm and engaging people. I appreciated the time that I spent with the people that I was introduced to more than anything. Jaizki, Marivi, Marta, and Amaia all went to great pains to make my time in Bilbao the best kind of travel experience and they will treat you like an old friend. Time always flies by with a Bilbao Greeter, so be prepared to spend more time or want to spend more time that you would have thought.

A few suggestions. Book early and include any special interests you may have on your booking form. They are genuine about providing you with a guide who is a good match and time and information help them to do this. Leave a little bit of extra time for the guide to take you in unexpected directions – this is where the good food and the great memories are made. Don’t hesitate to ask a lot of questions. I didn’t want to “waste time” asking about practical things in the beginning, but found little things like buying the right kind of ticket for the bus and tram can really make a difference. Most of all, if you have a positive experience, please consider as generous a donation to Bilbao Greeters as you can afford. The service that they provide really can’t be bought, and the future of this amazing organization depends on people recognizing how worthwhile it is.

Bilbao Greeters makes Basque Country a guaranteed place to have an experience of a lifetime. If you are considering a trip to Bilbao, contact them and be prepared to want to keep coming back.

Bakersfield, California
“A great time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We were met by Ana the morning after arriving in Bilbao. Knowing that I was a fan of Athletic Bilbao, Ana brought my girlfriend and I two posters of the team.

From there we had a wonderful tour of Bilbao. Starting from our hotel (Ibis Centro) we went to the Alhondiga and started to make our way to see Athletic Bilbao's main office.

We then toured Casco Viejo before heading back to our Hotel.

Knowing that my girlfriend and I are soccer fans she took us to the birthplace of "Pichichi" as well as spend a good amount of time during our tour trying to secure tickets for us to the game.

We really had a wonderful time, learned a lot about Bilbao and got to see places that aren't necessarliy the visitor guides.

Thank you Bilbao Greeters!!

Atlanta, Georgia
“Trip Highlight!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Like some other reviewers, my partner and I also came in on a cruise ship and wanted to make the most of our short overnight stay. I cannot say enough about our tour guide Nuria. She is a truly special person and we wanted to take her home with us so we could hang out some more. Her knowledge and passion for everything Basque had us mesmerized. She was only able to meet us after work at 7pm which was not only impressive but perfect as we weren't sure what we were going to do in the evening. She spent three and a half hours with us and took us into buildings and showed us things we never would ever have known about and I’m sure were not on other tours (the public library, the opera house while a show was going on etc…). What she had to say about all the places we visited brought the city and it’s people even more alive than before. She answered all of the questions we had from walking around the city all day without even having to think about it. We sampled tapas and she explained what we were eating and the history behind the custom. All we can say is WOW!!!

Visited October 2012