“Outdoor parking” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Holiday Inn Bilbao

You added Hotel Holiday Inn Bilbao to your Saves list
Hotel Holiday Inn Bilbao
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Zumalacarregui, 40, 48006 Bilbao, Spain (Formerly Hotel Avenida)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #20 of 42 Hotels in Bilbao
Bilbao
“Outdoor parking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Outdoor parking should be free, apart from this, everything was really nice and perfect; the gave us a superior room instead the one we have booked, but take care not to get with the car till the main door because you will have to pay for it !, so I believe that outside parking should be free of charge !!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Javier G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Holiday Inn Bilbao, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear guest:
Thank you for taking the time to write your review about the Holiday Inn Bilbao. We are happy to know you liked our NEW hotel. The outside parking is a private and secured area so it has a daily rate as per the rest of hotel services. But, we take into consideration your suggestion. The feedback we receive from our guests is our best resource for improving guest services.
Holiday Inn Bilbao

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
Porto, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Some major construction work still going on. The main hall looked a bit dusty. The parking place in front of the hotel had debris from the construction site. It seems they are building a gym right in front of the hotel.

There is no free parking provided by the hotel. I left my car outside (in the hotel park) and I had to be really lucky to find a spot where I could park the car and safely drop my entire luggage. The cost of the parking (outdoors) is abusive (about 15€ per day).

The room was average but I was expecting more from a holiday inn hotel. It was a bit small and with nothing “extra”. Not even a minibar. The mattress of one of the beds in the twin room was crooked. That was a bit upsetting.

The location is nothing special. Not in the heart of the city centre, about a 15/20 min walks from there.

They were not functioning at 100% when I was there.

Overall it was a nice overnight stay for someone that was exhausted from 8 hours driving while in a road trip. Nonetheless, the hotel has some temporary problems, and other ones not so temporary.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest:
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Bilbao hotel and leaving such a detailed review. We are deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. Indoor renovations have been finished this month, and now in front of the hotel there is a construction site that we hope not to disturb our guests. The feedback we receive from our guest enables us to targe problem areas. We welcome any opportunitu to improve.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Really a new/ modern design hotel, with amazing lobby and public areas. Staff extremely helpful. The hotel is not very close to Bilbao touristic areas but the tube station (Santutxu) just a few minutes walk from there.
We will repeat the experience this summer; I was told that the summer is a great time to walk around and discover Bilbao. I cannot imagine a best place to stay than this hotel to do it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Javier G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Holiday Inn Bilbao, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your time to share your review about our hotel Holiday Inn Bilbao. It is wonderful to learn that you liked our renovated style hotel. We are grateful for our guests patience and understanding while we were hard at work completing renovations to our hotel. Certainly it was worth waiting for it. It will be a pleasure to serve you again this summer. Best Regards.
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights, I cancelled the 3rd, this will be a nice property, apart from the bathrooms which are a bit of a joke, when it is finished. I am a Platinum Ambassador with the IHG group so I have stayed in a few Holiday Inn's in my time. The building work is still going on both in the hotel and in front of the hotel. You can actually taste the dust, and there is grit all over the 1st floor. They should at gthe very least put a notice on the website.

Breakfast is very average for Spain. Bacon and chistorra swimming in a lake of fat, fruit was nice though.

The Bathrooms are not rooms, just an open space with a toilet stall and a shower,stall beside a sink unit, but there is no room. I dont really mind but some women will hate it, my wife did.

Parking is almost impossible, I tried to re-park in the space I had left 15 mins before to be told by reception the car park was full, despite the empty space fully visable through the glass wall....at Reception !!!!!!

Why did somebody fit every new pendant light downstairs with what looks like 2 meters of cable which was then tied up and held by tape, looks awful and makes no sense.

No welcome as being part of Priority Club and no request for my opinion or satisfaction from the duty manager on check out.

I won't be back I am sorry to say.

Room Tip: Wait till all the building work has stopped.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Javier G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Holiday Inn Bilbao, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear guest:
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Bilbao and share your experience online. We want our guests to have a relaxing, carefree stay ant to enjoy our accommodations and hotel services. We are disappointed to learn that this is not what you experienced. Our staff works to provide attentive and prompt service, so we regret if there was a delay at any time during your stay. We are finishing to update our guest rooms and public areas so that we can continue to provide high quality accomodations to our guests. We regret that your room type and park service did not meet your expectations. Most of our rooms have a separate bathroom. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.
San Diego, CA, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed here in early March for two nights. The hotel was smack in the middle of its restoration and the "lobby" (if you can call it that) certainly reflected that fact. Whirring, buzzing, banging, pounding, screeching, with workers carrying supplies and equipment here and there! Are you kidding me?!? Did I reserve a room at a hotel or at a construction site??? Even our room (which had been partially renovated) reflected the ongoing nature of the work. There was a1'x5' sheet of glass just resting against one of the walls, and a refrigerator without any case to it next to the bed's headboard. What total chaos, inside and out!

The owners of the hotel and/or Holiday Inn made a conscious decision" to put their (monetary) concerns far above the concerns of their guests. The peaceful stays of their guests was not their concern AT ALL. The owners should have just closed down this hotel in order to make alterations of this magnitude. There's no other way to put it.

On the plus side, all of the employees were courteous and professional, trying their best in a very difficult circumstance. On the negative side, I did not care for the location of the hotel, way above the center of Bilbao. If you stay here, plan on a lot of huffing and puffing going from this hotel to the touristic areas.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Javier G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Holiday Inn Bilbao, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear guest:
Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. We would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced. We are grateful for your patience and understanding while we are hard at work completing renovations and upgrades to our hotel. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed at this Holiday Inn for a couple of weeks while my boyfriend and I explored Bilbao. Lovely city but it seems that they are not very fond of English speakers. I, being fluent in Spanish, albeit not "Spain" Spanish tried to make communication easier for everyone by speaking in their language. At the hotel, this was looked down upon. They apparently never understood me and made me feel very awkward. My spanish might not be with the same dialect but have never had a problem in other parts of Spain. I gave up and just tried speaking English with them. No help there either. The restaurant was very basic. Nothing to write home about. The room service (while non-existant really, they had a few tapas to choose from when they felt like being open) was alright. The location is not too far from the airport but you do need to take transportation to get into "downtown" Bilbao. We ended up cutting our reservation short and opted to stay closer to the Guggenheim.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Javier G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Holiday Inn Bilbao, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear guest:
Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. We appreciated your patience and we regret any inconvenience you experienced when speaking in spanish with our front desk staff. All the staff are fluent in spanish and english.
We were disappointed to read that you did not find our restaurant in to your tastes.
We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here and loved the room I got with a really nice jacuzzi-like tub!!! I had a nice view overlooking a historical building! I got to see a well known art museum with the most unique of any art I've seen anywhere in the world!!! The service was very good too for this hotel, and this being the only Holiday Inn that gave me more than I expected!! I learned that Bilbao is part of the Basque region of Spain, I did not know anything about until I visited this area! I was on a tour and learned quite a bit about this part I never knew anything about before!! I recommend this hotel and it is close to the museum.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Javier G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Holiday Inn Bilbao, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear guest:
Thank you for your time to share your review about our hotel Holiday Inn Bilbao. We are happy to know you liked our convenient location and we provided you with attentive service.
We appreciate very much your recommendation and hope to serve you again in your next trip to Bilbao.
Holiday Inn Bilbao

Been to Hotel Holiday Inn Bilbao? Share your experiences!