“A great place in Santa Cruz” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hosteria del Laurel

You added Hosteria del Laurel to your Saves list
Hosteria del Laurel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Plaza de los Venerables 5, 41004 Seville, Spain (Casco Antiguo)   |
Ranked #63 of 174 Hotels in Seville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
“A great place in Santa Cruz”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Just a moment away from Sevillas most popular sights this is a great Hosteria offering clean rooms, friendly and helpful staff and reasonable price. You stay literally a block away from El Alcazar among other sights. Recommend this for great value.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel is within walking distance to most of Seville's sights. Take care where the taxi drops you off as cars can't enter the street where the hotel is based. Follow the signs for the Hospital de los Venerables which is is well worth a visit. The hotel is diagonally opposite. Taxi from railway station is about E6 but take care as the meter can be "bumbed" when you are not looking.
There is a bus C2 (I think) to Carlos V and then a 10 minute walk towards Murillo gardens and in by Plz.Cruz or take a tram to cathedral and walk round to Plz Virgin de los Reyes.

Hotel staff were very helpful, the room was clean and very comfortable. The shower was amazing after reading the instructions a couple of times and there was nice big bath towels.

The breakfast choices were reasonably varied, bread, toast cereal etc. Can't fault the place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
washington dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Four fine nights in mid-May. I echo those who found it hard to find. The Santa Cruz area is a great one for walking, but it takes a day or two to get oriented. If you are tired after a long trip, take a cab, they aren't expensive. Re the 'shower' discussions, we found them easy to use, and kind of fun. Re the restaurant, we ate there once and the food and service were very good. The hotel itself is on a pleasant traffic-free square that seems to attract tour groups during the day and is empty at night. Favorite restaurant -- Meson Serranito, near the bullring.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tenerife, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Well it's not 5 stars. But for a not so pricy hotel it's wonderful. It's situated in the center of old town in the maze of old street (remember to take a map to find it for the first time), 5 minutes walk to palace and cathedral. The house is very old and typically spanish - medieval I think - with small patio inside but the rooms are quite clean, not shabby, with modern bathroom and TV. There is air-conditioning unit in the room which is most important because Seville is hot at summer. At the ground floor there is a restaurant where tourist groups usually have dinner, so we ate at other places, though it might be not a bad idea to have breakfast there. We had a room with windows into a peaceful inner garden so it was quiet at night.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We had a hard time finding this hotel as we had to walk from the bus (from the airport). The street names in the santa cruz area didn't really help much as it was like a maze (at first).

I would recommend asking for the santa cruz area and when you get to the area, ask for the hotel name. The location was excellent as its very close to everything. The only thing against the location, other than its hard to find at first, was that the park closes at night. The park was one of the entry points to santa cruz so we ended up walking all way to the other side.

As for the hotel itself, it was clean, roomy, the shower was excellent. We had asked for double bed but got two singles. We just ended up pushing them together. The wifi on our floor was a bit weak and had to stand near the door to get a decent signal. The staff was quite helpful and spoke some english. We didn't eat at the restaurant so can't comment on that.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I rode the bus from Granada to Seville getting off in a what-seemed a giant bus station after a three-hour trip through sweltering, 120 degree, Spain. I got a taxi to my pension, a small establishment located in the Santa Cruz district of Seville. The driver let me off several blocks away so I had to walk down a few small lanes to get to my destination. Dazed and confused, I asked a couple of friendly shopkeepers for directions who were more than helpful to point me on my way.

It was siesta time. The streets were lazy and quiet ... and hot. I rolled and bumped my small, carry-on size Osprey bag over cobblestones to my hotel (the only way to travel solo) checking in with a man who spoke just enough English to get by. He showed me to my room on the 2nd floor with windows overlooking a narrow alleyway. No view ... but it had AC.

The room was neat and clean with simple furnishings, two twin beds, a desk and a clean bathroom. I don't remember if there was a TV but it was all I needed. It did get a little noisy at night especially the midnight hour -- so if you are a light sleeper -- bring your ear plugs!

The hotel restaurant didn't seem to serve any type of breakfast while I was there even though I remember reading somewhere that it did. Maybe it was just the season ... or somehow I missed it??? I never ate dinner there so couldn't tell you about the food.

Seville itself, at least the part, where the main tourism is, was really easy to navigate on foot -- even the small narrow streets of the Santa Cruz. I loved rambling along taking pictures -- stopping here for gelato, there for tapas and later on, sitting in a sweltering courtyard to watch an authentic, simple flamenco by Casa de la Memoia. I got lost once or twice but just as quickly found my way.

I enjoyed Seville, walking everywhere and seeing all the main tourist areas, including the majestic Alacazar but I felt lonely as a solo traveler ... maybe it was because my pension (and Seville, in general) really didn't lend itself to meeting other single (or other) travelers easily. Everyone seemed to be with someone else -- couples, families, groups of friends. Maybe it was because I didn't speak Spanish. Maybe I was in the right place at just the wrong time. I don't know but, regardless, the Hosteria Del Laurel was a simple and relaxing place to stay.

Room Tip: My room was noisy...may ask for one in the back of the hotel???
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Jerusalem, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have nothing very novel to add. We got a good price (booked thru an on line company), found the service good, the room clean and the shower rather challenging but that is the excitement of travel! Location very near excellent tapas bars, cathedral and we walked everywhere. The hotel is not new but has character, I would recommend it and suggest people be more aggressive in checking rooms if noise is an issue. There is no noise from inside the hotel. Breakfasts in hotels seem to be overpriced and unnecessary as bars serve standard coffee and toast/croissant for very little money

Room Tip: Rooms in small indentation above the square were noisy. We did not ask to be moved so perhaps could...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hosteria del Laurel? Share your experiences!