“do not book here till improved” 1 of 5 stars

Las Casas de la Juderia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Santa Maria la Blanca, 5, 41004 Seville, Spain   |
Ranked #44 of 173 Hotels in Seville
Vancouver, British Columbia
“do not book here till improved”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I am enclosing a letter I send to the general manager of this hotel. The reason why this review is so late is 1/ waiting for a reply from the hotel
2/presented the problem to booking.com whom we booked with
3/consulted a top lawyer in Madrid

Dear Mr Rojas

I should really title this letter with the name of one of the best television series in England “Faulty Towers”.
When we parted company, after I had explained to you my frustrations and unhappiness which you had listened to and agreed with, I managed with a guide without a hitch (8 minutes) to our room. We left for a walk at around 7pm and on the way we stopped in “our part of the hotel reception” to report that there is a leak in our bathroom through the ceiling. The receptionist there informed us that it is in hand (that it was reported before)so we expected on our return to find it rectified. We actually came back early around 9.45pm; nothing was done about the leak and the floor at the front part of the bathroom had at least 5 mm of water. The idea of coming back early was to go to sleep early as the night before we did not have a good sleep as I fell when the light in our entrance room was not working and in the pitch dark I did not anticipate a small step. We also had had an early start with a pre-booked visit to the Real Alcazar the next day and with the difficulty of getting out from our room...
We returned to find water dripping still from the bathroom ceiling and covered the floor with towels so we could use the toilet and consequently had to switch off the airconditioning as perhaps that was the cause. The constant dripping was preventing us from going to sleep and also we were not certain if any electric circuit might be affected. Now we had a choice either to open the door to the outside and have a noisy night or to sleep in a room with no air. We had just about gone to sleep when the telephone rang. It was Reception to tell us we could have a free breakfast. It was 10.20pm.
Our experience in our next 4 star hotel was as follows. We arrived at around 1pm to our hotel in Rota and our room was not quite ready. We were given another room for the time being to make us comfortable after our bus journey from Seville. When we entered our permanent room there was waiting for us a bottle of sherry and a letter to apologise from the Management for our room not being ready.
I understand that a hotel must provide reasonable care for its guests. Indeed things can go wrong but I would argue that we did not qualify into this category!
1. Your porter broke my suitcase and we had to spend 2 hours buying a replacement. Surely a better time in Seville is to use the time to explore the magnificent town
2. The map provided for finding our room was a joke - not though, according to Reception. That was the best that could be provided. We wasted another couple of hours to get out of our room or finding it. We were not the only ones. We met lots of your guests in the same position. Maybe some guests come to Seville for this reason? Others expect to get to their room or out of it as easy and quickly as possible. After all, as I said before, I came to Seville to admire the magnificent city and not to try to find our room in a 4 star hotel or the difficulty indeed to get out of the room to see Seville.
3. To be told by one of the porters, that he showed us before (insinuating that we were just stupid) at 11.30pm, after we got lost for 35minutes in the hotel was not “a pleasant experience” for a retired, professional couple
4. To be disturbed at 10.20pm by a call from Reception does not show a great deal of respect to a guest to let us know we can have a free breakfast.
5. To be flooded is certainly not pleasant, but then to be denied the use of the air conditioning was very unpleasant indeed and it did certainly not give us an opportunity to get a good sleep.
6. That the light in the entrance room did not work and caused me a fall does not bide well for the respect of a guest. I was not injured but I was certainly badly shaken and did not have a good night’s sleep. It was indicated in front of you that it was our fault and we should have left our room card in the room. I always thought that the whole idea of this system was to save electricity! Indeed a 3rd card was issued to overcome this faulty wiring problem.
I did pay the bill as I was contracted to do so but I now await for your view on what you had been contracted to provide for us for the price I paid.

Yours sincerely
Dan
I still do not have an answer from the hotel.
Booking.com achieved 10% refund of the price of the suitcase and no apology.
The lawyer advised us that law in Spain is different from UK and only action possible to take is via the local authority by filling a form. His advise was not to proceed as the local hotel and the local authority........

Room Tip: do not book any room until improved
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Recommended by friends as simply amazing, we had to stay and booked almost the last room over a busy fiesta weekend, so we were lucky to get in. Lucky that the traffic was almost zero too, as finding the hotel through the narrow streets was challenging.

The porter on the door told us to pull into the taxi rank a little past the main entrance to unload and then find parking. While he was kindly, the female receptionist is in the wrong job. Poker faced, no customer service skills, not a welcome or smile, just " voucher and passports and our car park is full". We extracted parking options from her male colleague who was more user friendly and another jolly porter too us and our luggage to our room.

Remembering that this hotel is created from 27 old houses in narrow streets and linking patios, it wasn't a surprise to find the good sized room dark, but it could have been helped by better lighting. The decent bathroom had a hopeless shower with a big immovable head so you got soaked and two taps so you had to readjust the water temperature after each time of switching it off.

We found parking near the station in a guarded car park that was a fair price but had to walk for 15 minutes back to the hotel; on departure we took a taxi for €5. We complained about the receptionist to her colleague and he said she wasn't feeling very well and apologised.

The public rooms are very attractive and different and there is a spa if you are so inclined. The piano bar, tapas bar and restaurant are all enjoyable and fairly priced. Wifi is only available in the downstairs sitting room but is free.

The location is excellent for getting around the city. We booked room only as the breakfast cost is exorbitant and we had several restaurants/bars nearby that offered good breakfasts at a fraction of the cost.

Would we stay again; maybe if we could have a suite or room with better lighting and probably if we went by train to avoid the parking hassles and who knows, maybe the receptionist would be better.......

Room Tip: Book a suite and/or ask for a room facing into a courtyard and not an alley.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

An amazing, medieval building, or a couple of buildings connected to each other with tunnels and inner yards allow guests to explore the hotel's amenities like the spa, the solarium, the restaurant and a number of rest and sitting areas. The location couldn't be better and the rooms, rooftop views and everything else one would want from the hotel, could not be better either. The service is good, with a couple of exceptions. The ladies at the front desk are, not really friendly, to put it mildly. Won't go out of their way to help you, but the rest of the staff is great. The spa is fancy, but nothing to brag about. Rooms definitely have character - not your average hotel. Very good deal. Recommended.

Room Tip: You can rent bikes and ask the hotel to store them for you for the night. You gotta get there before...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Lenexa, KS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I promised this review the day we arrived. I knew parking was going to be an issue, and I pulled over about 100 meters from the hotel, as I heard even valet parking was challenging. I confirmed with the front desk that we would drive up and unload our bags on this one-way street, and the receptionist confirmed a valet driver would be waiting. We arrived two minutes later, with no driver to valet our car. In the front of this hotel there is absolutely no place to pull over, as it is a one-way road with 6 to 8 inch sharp rock curbs. The receptionist, an older woman, told me to quickly get back in the car to avoid traffic backups, and to drive up 50 meters and park in front of the pharmacy. I did this, but there was absolutely no place to pull over. I drove another 20-30 meters and pulled into and blocked a lightly-used one-way side road and parked there. I ran back to the hotel and they said I must move immediately and she gave me instructions to the public parking lot, even though I was begging for valet and had no idea where to go. You simply cannot drive around the block, as ‘blocks’ don’t exist, and street names change every other turn. I eventually found a different place to park, had to ask multiple people for assistance on how to pay for parking and finding my way back to the hotel, which took over an hour. Upon arrival, the receptionist was rude and said it was not her problem. Valet Pedro offered to walk us back to the car, as I had taken a picture of where the car was parked since I had no idea where I parked. The receptionist said she would not allow the valet to help, as it was just outside the area he was allowed to go, as this happens frequently. Pedro bent over backwards trying to help us out without disobeying. Thank you Pedro! We paid over $160 USD per night and it was overpriced. On top of that, we asked for ice and were charged another 3 euros. Finally, the front desk discussion about us in Spanish was understood! My recommendation to others is to not go to this hotel, but if you are still compelled and you experience what I did, to simply toss them your keys and tell them the valet parking IS their problem. I give them 3 stars for the facilities, less two stars for hospitality. Worst hotel experience ever; very unprofessional staff.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Lugano, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The "casa" is immense, unbelievably it must have more than 100 rooms, yet one won't feel it as the area is immense. We came back after one year and enjoyed it just as the first time. Helpful staff, wonderful roomy rooms, no noise at all.
No parking but the hotel will arrange this for you.

Room Tip: Roof-top ones have a fantastic view, the others almost no-view
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

it´s a hotel with local flavor and adventure. I stayed here in the end of Nov and I enjoyed it. My room was not big but it was clean. There are some beautiful courtyards. It is close to lots of cafes, restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We chose to stay here as the hotel has a great location and character. It did not disappoint on both these aspects. However, we found that the property maintenance is pathetic. There was no ventilation in the bathroom, the toilet area had a weird smell. Much to my horror , I found a huge cockroach crawling around. The horror deepened when I reported this to the front office, along with a couple of other issues . The lady started shouting back at me , saying it is impossible that a cockroach was found. I was appalled by her lack of courtesy and lack of acceptance of problems. The other disgusting point was the breakfast room walls were heavily covered with fungus / mould , it almost looked like a part of the decor. We loved Seville , but were happy to leave after a 2 night stay.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Been to Las Casas de la Juderia? Share your experiences!