“Spectacular and Unique.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alfonso XIII Hotel

You added Alfonso XIII Hotel to your Saves list
Alfonso XIII Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle San Fernando 2, 41004 Seville, Spain (Casco Antiguo)   |
Ranked #7 of 174 Hotels in Seville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rochester, New York
“Spectacular and Unique.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Hotel Alfonse XIII is a rare combination of a luxury hotel, slendid architecture and cozy charm. The lobby and common areas have exquisite tile work, arched windows, stained glass, splendid flower arrangements and just wonderful architecture. Breakfast, lunch and dinner is served in a large, central open air atrium. A garden and swimming pool behind the hotel provide a quiet oasis in the bustling city of Sevilla. The rooms are large and the facilities are state of the art.

Add to this a wonderful and friendly staff rendering assistance with walking tours, flamenco performance reservations and whatever else you may need as well as impeccable service - and you have a hotel stay as luxurious and pleasant as anywhere in the world. And, oh yes, the location in the Old City is perfect.

If you want to splurge and if any hotel is worth the cost, this is where you will walk away satisfied and feeling that you have received your money's worth.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Korean first
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at the Alfonso for six nights in early September. We felt we got a really good rate for a King room including breakfast for 2 guests. We also felt that location of the Alfonso was the best in Seville, making it walking distance to pretty much anything. There is no doubt; the hotel and property are just stunning. When we arrived, we definitely knew we were in a 5 star hotel. But, even 5 star hotels come with service issues. Some of them have been widely addressed by other fellow TA’s, and I feel are pretty consistent with our experience. Let’s start with the positives.
We arrived in the early afternoon by Taxi from the Train Station. Fare was approx. 12 Euros. There is no ramp to wheel your suitcases, so unless you’re willing to carry them, the bellman is more than happy to assist you and have delivered to your room. Check in was proficient, no long queues. We were provided an overview of the Restaurants/Hours of operation and services available during our stay. We were informed that we were located in a quiet area of the hotel. I inquired if it was possible to move to a room with a balcony. It was possible, but we decided to stay where we were as the receptionist said it would be too noisy. I also inquired about the 5 pm Tour of the hotel/property. I was informed that it wasn’t happening that evening, but someone would get back to me when it was available – NOTE- I never received a follow up on the tour, and saw many taking the 5pm tour on other nights.
Off to room 291 – on the third floor. The lobby is just stunning. Everywhere you turn there are lovely flower arrangements, amazing tiles, crown molding, and pictures of famous people who’ve stayed at the property. Elevators are old school. You open a door to enter the elevator, and a little on the small side. You can also take the stairs, which we opted to do most days. The room was lovely, a little on the small side, but more than adequate. The crown molding/plaster work was amazing. I really took to the Moorish theme. The standard room set up, but the wardrobes were not big enough to store our suitcases, so we had to leave them out in a corner. I like the fact that the window has an automatic black out shutter at the flip of a switch. This is especially helpful on those hot days. Robes and slippers for both, nightly turn down service with 2 bottles of water left every night. Bathroom was nice, standard bath/shower set up which is a little hard to figure out at first. Toiletries were nice, and replaced daily for both of us. The vanity area lacked storage space, but there is a shelf under the vanity. Housekeeping was never an issue. Our room was always spotless. Hotel Management had a lovely bottle of Cava and note delivered to our room to recognize a special occasion. We really appreciated the kind gesture.
Pool: We enjoyed the pool a few times, usually at the end of the day, and days are longer in Seville. It bothers me that guests just leave towels on the chairs in the prime area, but the chair sits vacant. I think the attendants can do a better job removing towels of un-occupied chairs. The pool area is lovely. The temperature of the water is a little cooler, but when it’s 98 degrees out, it’s refreshing. The loungers are very comfortable, with cushions on the chairs. Towels are plentiful. I will comment on poolside service when I address the negatives.
Restaurants: We had dinner one evening in the open courtyard. The dinner was fabulous. It was refreshing to have a nice sit down meal vs. tapas. I expect a certain amount of snobbery in a hotel like Alfonso, but I found the Maitre’D to be boarder line rude with his snobbery. For example – making a face of disgust when we suggested we would share an appetizer. Snobbery aside, the meal was absolutely delicious and reasonable price point. After asking the Maitre’D for our check and sitting there for almost 30 minutes, we had to ask again. There was no apology on his part for the long wait. I received a 15% discount offer for SPG members. I checked with front desk if I needed to show the offer to the restaurant or would it be automatically applied to my bill. They said it would be applied automatically and no action was required on my part. It was not applied despite my proactive efforts. This was settled on check-out. I highly recommend getting the club sandwich for lunch. It was one of the best clubs I’ve ever had. Again, the experience was tainted by having to ask repeatedly for our check. Simply no excuse. Meanwhile,
American Bar/Terrace Bar:
The American Bar makes some great drinks. There are drink menus are you can simply view the drink menu on an ipad. Quality is not in question. Only the finest ingredients are used and that was evident. Terrace Bar is lovely. It was never busy. That’s probably because you had to wait forever to get served that people gave up. We really enjoyed relaxing there before and after dinner. The furniture is very comfortable and cigars are welcome.
Breakfast:
Breakfast was included in our room rate. If you wish to purchase, I believe it was 24 Euros. While the breakfast is good, it wasn’t exceptional. Yes, there are plenty of fruits, breads, hot items to choose from. But how much can one really eat? We also found to be lacking quality. Items took a while to be replenished. The coffee is terrible. Do yourself a favor and ask for a cappuccino. They’re more than happy to make any espresso drink for you. There is an omelet station or you can have eggs cooked to order. Salt and pepper was not on the tables, and I always had to ask or seek out myself. You can eat outside in the courtyard, or inside. Despite other comments about service at breakfast, we actually found the opposite of our experiences. Service was never an issue for us.
Wi-Fi: Complimentary in the lobby area. If you have dinner in the courtyard, they will also give you a Wi-Fi code for the faster connection. We really didn’t use that often as we bought SIM cards for our iPhone, but when we did use it, it was pretty fast.
Negatives:
Even luxury has some issues! The NOISE in the room WAS UNBEARABLE. Absolutely no soundproofing. I want to echo what another reviewer stated, it sounds like someone is dragging heavy furniture on the floor above you. Every day it was an issue. We walked around the entire floor trying to find the source and debated moving to another room. Honestly, I don’t think it matters where you’re at in the hotel (unless the top floor). There was noise everywhere. I had the white noise app on my ipad on every night. Housekeeping also does their share of contributing to the problem in the am. They start very early and are very loud with their carts and conversations.
SERVICE: By far the biggest negative for us. We actually implemented a 15 minute rule, which quickly became the 30 minute rule. You want something………..it will be 15 minutes. You order a drink at the pool, arrives at least 15 minutes later (late afternoon when not busy). American Bar – Want a drink, wait 15 minutes for the bartender to come over………wait another 15 minutes for the drink…………..and wait another 15 minutes for the check (when asking once we received our drinks).
Inconsistent rules: One night, towels are cleared at the pool at 6 pm, bar shut, music off. Another night at 7:30pm, music on, bar open, no rush to vacate. Outside courtyard in the afternoon, people having cocktails at 5:30pm, smoking. We come another evening at 5:30ish for a cocktail and told we can’t go out there, they’re setting up for dinner and there is no service. Really! Right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is doing. One night the terrace bar was open at this time, anther night it was closed at that time.
Summary: We really enjoyed our stay at the Alfonso. There are some serious service issues management needs to address. I’ve seen management respond to several posts on TA, yet the same service issues come up in subsequent reviews, months later. We’re mixed if we would return to the Alfonso. I will follow future posts to see if noted improvements to service

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Clara, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I made a reservation for this hotel at the last minute and got a great deal booking directly through the hotel. I have traveled a lot around the world and I have to say this is probably one of the top three nicest rooms I've ever stayed in (and the other two are in Asia, where the hotel experience is extremely competitive). I would have loved to stay another night but they were full, with a long waiting list, so I had to move to another hotel. I had booked a small room, but it was outfitted and designed so perfectly, I didn't want to leave the room. It looked out over the beautiful courtyard, where people were enjoying tea or a meal. On the hour, the cathedral bells rang, so peaceful. The location is fantastic, less than 5 min on foot from the cathedral. I ordered room service for breakfast, the Andalucian breakfast, and it was delicious. The bathroom amenities are unique and smell so good, I took them home! If I would have planned better, I could have stayed here my entire trip in Seville and would have been in heaven.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed at this majestic Hotel for 3 days and being a gold member of Starwood Preferred Guest, we were upgraded to a better room upon checking in. Absolutely loved our stay and is strategically located to most of the sightseeing places. The staffs were super courteous and friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

hotel is difficult to get to as they have made it one way and the satalite on a 2013 car did not know . but staff bent over backwards to help make our stay
Seville is stunning so much to see and do . Food at the hotel was great and the pool area had the fans that sprinkled water to bring the temperature down

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Maroochydore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed two nights at this charming hotel. The room was beautifully decorated, spacious and with good amenities. Pillows were too soft for me. Location was good and there were plenty of eateries and shops in walking distance. The tram stops in front of the hotel and it only costs $1.40 if you need it. Buffet breakfast was disappointing especially for the hot food selection. Service was only ok, not great. Dinner was a la carte and was great in general. I think the ambience of the place gave it a big plus. The courtyard restaurant was very romantic and atmospheric..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Doha, Qa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Am writing this review while leaving to the airport. It is the type of hotel which you feel you want to stay for life. A well-known palace in Seville turned to be SPG. Beside the luxuries specious rooms, the hotel is well attended. Very warm staff, like family. Very kind staff and happy feeling would welcome you as soon as you enter.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Alfonso XIII Hotel? Share your experiences!