“One to use” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Apartamentos Venecia

You added Apartamentos Venecia to your Saves list
Apartamentos Venecia
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Placeta de la Miga, 3, 18009 Granada, Spain   |
Ranked #15 of 92 Granada B&B and Inns
Birmingham
“One to use”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

An excellent stay with friendly and helpful staff. Breakast choice good and as everyone says everywhere is clean. Ideal for transfer from airport via metro and bus 19 that drops one 100 metres from hotel. Close to all the attractions some walkable. Advise buying a tourist transport card either online for 10% less or at helful Tourist offices. Enjoyed capuccino and cake at Grand capuccion cafe enar cathedral. Casa Roberta restaurant is place to eat though pricey.

Room Tip: 8B has balcony
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

Stayed here 1 night, didn't have reservations ahead of time. The owners were very friendly and helpful; they speak a little English but communication is most fruitful in Spanish or German. Rooms were clean and spacious. Our room had a sink; showers and toilets were down the hall. Fairly quiet location, and the hostal itself was quiet as well. Decor is very unique and fun.

The main entrance to the Alhambra is just up the road; lots of shops right nearby, and it's an easy walk to other sights, restaurant areas, etc.

No breakfast; not sure if WiFi was available. We were able to leave our luggage at the hostal the day we checked out, before catching a bus later in the day.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

I come back regurlaly to Hostal Venecia since 1996, as Granada is one of my favorite cities in the world. My friend recommended this small, wonderful gem to me all these years ago, as he stayed there for several weeks and loved it. I was pleasantly surprised how clean it was - for a very small price. I rememer to be woken up in the morning by beautiful lady, owner of the Guest House. She brought herbal tea with honey in my room!
Since then I vsited this lovely place many times, alone, and with my husband, and each time I am treated as a good friend - owners are charming and very kind. We speak German, as they know it very well. They work day and night very hard to make their guests feel comfortable, and I appreciate all their hard work - the place is spotless, and tastefully decorated. I alwasy take photos there, it is so full of charm.
The price per room for centre of Granada, near my beloved Alhambra palace with amazing Generalife Gardens, is very small. Just once when I visited Granada, Hostal Venecia was full, and a friend booked me and 2 of my girlfriends into a new build hotel on the outskirts of Granada. It is there in this faceless, heartess building I appreciated Hostal Venecia even more - it has a heart, and a soul. This April on my trip to Granada I felt again at home in Hostal Venecia. I definately will be returning again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

The first time I went to Granada, I was lucky enough to stay at Hostal Venecia (in 2008)--it was a wonderful experience then and each time I've been there since...I'm shocked at a lot of the negative reviews. I stayed in the single room then. It's small but charming. Most recently in October & early November, I stayed in the dorm--that got new bedding for the winter but other than that looks just like it did before: clean and simple. I love the fact that it hasn't changed much over the years... Senora Carmen is still bustling around, cleaning and making sure you get that ginger 'infusion' and Sergio is still the same sweet man (though can put out a surly vibe) he has always been.

I've stayed with them 4 times in the last couple years and I've always been well cared for. They keep the showers and rooms clean, there's an iron if you want to borrow it, books left behind/swapped out by travelers, heaters for the winter, and Carmen will always smile and call you guapa. I've never had any issue with fraudulent credit card charges... but yes, treat it as a cash only place. (It's less than 20 euros a night so it's not that big a deal to plan ahead for that).

Oh and the location is absolutely great--right at plaza nueva, close to the teterias and its a straight shot up the street to the Alhambra... there's an internet cafe a street (or two) over and the buses for sacremonte etc stop right at plaza nueva if you don't want to walk.

I really could go on and on, but I'll stop here. I hadn't reviewed them sooner since I don't tend to post reviews (and yes, I didn't really want the place to get too full and get bumped out of my spot next time ;) ) but, I couldn't really stand to see all the negative reviews...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
valencia, spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

My experience of Hostal Venecia is similar to other reviews - I rang ahead to reserve a room & the owner was most meticulous about taking my credit card number.....

During the course of my stay I happened to check my bank account & noticed a debit from Hostal Venecia ( a debit that had occurred without my consent & without any communication of doing so). On checking out I noticed that the amount already charged by Hostal Venecia was not deducted from my final bill. When I pointed this out Sergio (the owner) got very angry, very rude; he shouted at me, snatched my passport from me & slammed the money down on the counter. He told me that it was a bank charge for checking the authenticity of the credit card. However, I have travelled extensively across the world & NEVER encountered this charge before. Nor have I experienced such nastiness!

Sergio is clearly in the wrong job!

Don't stay here!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
new orleans
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

I made a reservation with this hostal because they were listed a few guidebooks. When I first made the reservation the hostal didn't even seem to care if they got my name down correctly and they insisted a confirmation number wasn't necessary.

A week or so later--but over a month before my scheduled arrival in Spain--I noticed I had a charge on my debit card from this hostal. I've done a fair bit of traveling, and I don't think there is ever any reason for a hotel or hostal to charge a card before the guest has arrived.

I called the hostal to get my money back but the man who answered the phone, Sergio, got quite belligerent in Spanish that was way beyond my fluency level. He promised to return the money (I think), but hung up the phone without taking down my name! I had to call him back and insist that he take down my name and give me the money back. I hope the reservation has been canceled and the money will be refunded, but it definitely seems unlikely that I'll see that $53 again.

Don't stay here!! Or if you do...don't make a reservation...just walk in and pay cash

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

We arrived in Granada without reservations and found this Hostel on the road leading to Alhambra. The owner was extremely pleasant and accommodating. When we asked for a double with a bathroom en suite, he took us on a 2 minute hike up the road to another building. The room he showed us was small but clean and nice....no bugs! No TV and no A/C but it was not needed. The room rate was an affordable 42 Euro per night. It is strategically located down the road from Alhambra very close to shopping, restaurants and everything else Granada has to offer. Yeah it was a little noisy at night but I have yet to find a place in Spain that is not noisy. Spaniards are up all night. That's just the way it is.

I am not sure why others had so many issues but we were treated very well and given a nice room for 2 nights without prior reservations. As far as the this building/that building thing goes, it is pretty obvious that if you want to stay in a non-private room, you will be in the main building. If you want a private room, you will be in the 2nd building. But honestly, who cares. It's not like it was a 30 minute hike to the 2nd building...it was like a 2 minute walk difference. I would also note that this is a Let's Go recommended hostel 7 years in a row. It's a perfectly fine place to stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Apartamentos Venecia? Share your experiences!