“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Oniria

You added Villa Oniria to your Saves list
Villa Oniria
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   calle San Anton 28, 18005 Granada, Spain (Realejo - San Matias)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #33 of 127 Hotels in Granada
Certificate of Excellence 2014
zurich
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

This is one of those hotels you look back and it somehow dissappears in a fog because you just can not believe having ever been in such a great hotel. Really I have travelled to some spots on this planet, but this is an oase of piece, harmony and mental refreshing located in the heart of granada. The hotel smelled lovely (they have somekind of rose smell there all day from candles located all over the villa), the spa was great to refresh after a long day walking through the city and the best....the rooms were just perfect. If I ever was unsure how a small flat should be designed than I would simply copy this. The shower was a all stone/marmor and the bed was probably one of the best ones I have ever slept in. I don't no what more I could say other than that I should learn spanish to thank the staff of this hotel in their mother tongue for this fantastic creation....it is worth every dollar/euro.....

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

Our family booked four rooms over Christmas at Villa Oniria. The design of the place is stunning, as was the food at the restaurant where we had a very special Christmas Eve dinner. It's a five minute walk into the main squares, so it's close to the action. I had booked it on behalf of the family (my in-laws), and they were all bowled over - I felt pretty chuffed that I'd lucked upon such an amazing place.

And of course Granada is a perfect backdrop.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2008

We booked a room at Villa Oniria in order to be in the same hotel as a friend who was getting married. We absolutely loved it! Our room was fantastic, and the personnel were very very kind! I was trying to use my poor Spanish and they were trying hard to understand without offending me!!! We also used the spa and were very impressed and we absolutely recommend breakfast, it was a feast! We loved the chorizo, the cheese, the fresh bread rolls, everything!!
The hotel is ideally located, 5 minutes walk from the cathedral, close to the main squares where all the tapas and cafes are, and also offers parking (I think the charge was 12 euros). In the August heat, when Granada is burning, just returning to the hotel from a day's sightseeing and having an afternoon drink in the hotel patio, felt like heaven. It is expensive but we thought it was a nice treat to ourselves on the start of our trip around Andalusia. I think our excellent impression of Granada also has to do with the fact that we were so pleased with the hotel...
In Greek the word "oniro" means dream, so the hotel has definitely lived up to its name!!!

• Liked — the whole setting
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Knoxville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2008

To begin with, Granada is beautiful, rich in history and character. We loved Granada. It is an excellent choice when deciding where to go in Spain. However, the hotel was a different story. I will say the bed was comfortable and the fixtures and common areas were very nice. Otherwise, a bad experience. I’ll just quickly list need to know details. Our confirmation sheet, which we brought with us and showed to the hotel personnel, had us listed in a room with a balcony and a sitting area. The room that we were given was tiny with no windows. When I say tiny, the only other room I remember staying in that was smaller was in NY City with a room rate of $90. We were simply told “I’m sorry” and given back our confirmation sheet. However, when looking around the hotel, we noticed that there were many larger rooms with balconies and seating areas as described on our reservation and it didn’t appear that the hotel was full during the late November off-season.

The room did have skylights in the slanted roof, which we ended up needing. The HVAC was broken or turned off and the heat was unbearable to the point that sleep was impossible, despite the fact that it was near freezing outside. We were able to crack the skylights, which helped some. However, the outside street noise was then the problem with people on the street until 5 a.m. There was no shower curtain and rod. Only a tub, which was unique in some sense, but a bit awkward when washing your hair, etc. Plus, my husband could observe all of this awkwardness because there was a glass window separating the shower from the bedroom. I guess fine for close couples, but probably uncomfortable for those less familiar. Furthermore, the bathroom had a glass door, which did not separate the bathroom smell from the room. There were no TV channels in English; although in Spain for the sites, it is nice to come back to relax at night (I was hoping for a CNN in English, which is available in most Spanish hotels). I do not recall any payperview either. Also, we phoned the front desk for a wake up call. After the line rang for about a minute, someone who was watching the big soccer match (what we assume as it was loudly playing in the background) took the info. We did received the call, but were a bit anxious through the night. The hotel does have a gym, but you must pay 8 euros to use. It has one treadmill and a handful of weight machines. Furthermore, the gym, which is completely unattended and not in a locked room, had operating hours. I was stopped by hotel personnel in the lobby and told to wait 20 minutes because the “gym” had not opened yet. Opening time was at 10:00 a.m. After waiting outside the door for 20 minutes, I walked into the gym where no one noticed I was there. When asking about spa services, the hotel told me that no appointments were available and did not offer to find any appointments elsewhere. Our reservation, as listed on the confirmation slip that we presented to the hotel, also included free breakfast. When we were checking out, the hotel, I guess noticed that we had breakfast, and tried to charge us. It was awkward as we again asked for something that we were supposed to have included. Weird again, no one came outside to move the movable railing so that we could drive our car out. In the rain, I was moving this hotel railing so that my husband could drive the car out. Finally, later on in the day after checking our receipt we noticed that we had been charged tax on our stay, despite the fact that our reservation said that tax was included in our rate.

We only stayed at the hotel 2 nights, and these are just the details I recall off the top of my head. Taking the improperly charged tax into consideration, this was the most expensive hotel we stayed at during our trip, but definitely the least enjoyable. We would like to view the experience with optimism, so we will just label the experience as weird with no bad intentions due to our lack of fluent Spanish or U.S. passports. However, that being said, we would never return, nor recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ottawa, Ontario,CANADA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2008

Villa Oniria is located in the city centre of Granada. right downtown, walking distance to everywhere you want to see. It provides a luxurious place to escape, a refuge from city noises,in a lovingly set traditional Andalusian palatial architecture, by renowned Madrid born architect Pascua Ortega. This is in effect a true deserving deluxe World Hotels Chain establishment. There are some 31 comfortable and welcoming rooms over two floors, so attractive we caught a professional photographer taking poses of his mate in the staircase. With the color scheme and studied ambiance, it is relaxing all over.There is an small and well appointed garden, bursting with aromatic plants leading onto a beautiful inner patio.that leads to an interior gastronomic restaurant ( at least , we tried the breakfasts), a well equipped fitness centre and inviting spa, wi-fi internet and valet parking. But more than anything, SERVICE, SERVICE AND SERVICE. Well worth a 5, all around.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

we have just returned from our honeymoon and we stayed there for 3 nights on our way to almeria. hotel was nice,clean and very relaxing,room was very modern with beautiful wetroom shower and nice bathroom.room was a bit small but airy with air con as it was september and very hot 40c, bed was divine really comfortable. our room over looked the street below but was not noisy.we choose a mid floor room as the attic rooms are very enclosed with no views and only have skylights.the service was not very good for example we had to go looking for someone if we wanted a drink, when we did find the receptionist she took ages to get a barman for us,this happened many times as it was annoying because we were on honeymoon. but if you want a relaxing stay with no noise and no kids and to stay in a lovely decor room with all mod cons this the perfect place due to the fact its in a city.

• Liked — the room
  • Disliked — the service
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nenagh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

6 of us stayed for two nights recently on the way to a family wedding, it was just a wonderful start to the holiday.
We all loved the hotel from the first moment we walked into it, the reception staff are so good and the smell of vanilla in the air was lovely. The rooms we had were large enough though be warned a lot of glass is used so be careful with whom you share. The rooms were quiet and dark at night so no complaints there, the location is good also and the car gets taken away and returned for you when you need it.
The only problem with this hotel is the restaurant, the food when you get it is excellent. But the service is just about the worst I have experienced in a long long time. It started with the wrong table been allocated to us we wanted to eat in the garden and they tried to push us inside. Perhaps this upset them as the we had to wait for about 30 minutes to get a menu in English then it was one poor photo copy to share between 6 people. A further 40 minutes passed before our order was taken and a bit of bread placed on our side plates. Then a further 40 minutes before the starters arrived - so nearly 2 hours from entering the restaurant before we had something to eat - this despite complaining on two seperate occassions. The food when it came was very good to be fair.
I would strongly recommend this hotel but dont use the restaurant it is just that bad.

• Liked — Rooms and front desk service
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Villa Oniria? Share your experiences!