“Didn't Feel Comfortable” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #83 of 128 hotels in Granada
The Sticks
“Didn't Feel Comfortable”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed a couple of nights at this place and decided to check out early-leaving Granada after only one full day. As a woman traveling alone, I didn't feel comfortable with this hostal's location. I noticed that the other reviews failed to mention this but this hostal is located on a dark alley lined with graffiti. I didn't have a good feeling walking back to my room at night. In the daytime, I felt safer but the alley way is hideous. I was skeptical as the taxi driver dropped me and my luggage off...thinking that I should just have gotten back in and had him take me somewhere else. I decided to give it a chance especially because I had checked with other places within financial reason and they were all booked.

The building is very old and the staff friendly enough but a bit cool and reserved. One of the staff speaks English but everyone else only speaks Spanish so if your Spanish isn't great-try to learn a few phrases so that you can communicate if necessary. I had a private room with a private bath. The twin bed was very comfortable to my surprise but the room was cold even when the "heat" was on...the bathroom was decent enough but the shower curtain was moldy. I was taken aback that that shower head didn't hang on the wall of the shower stall but it provided relaxing, hot showers.

If I ever visit Granada again, I would not stay at this place. While it is very close to Gran Via and all the shops, I just did not feel at ease with the location of the hostal itself. Next time, I will give myself more time to plan and book another place as I saw many other hotels and hostals in better locations for the same price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

20 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
  • Polish first
Turku, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

The hostel is located conveniently within a walking distance from all the attractions while still on a quiet side street. The Cathedral and the shopping streets are about 10 mins away and although it's possible to take a bus to Alhambra the walk isn't too long either (and you get to see the city at the same time). The double room was moderate with a double bed, desk and a wardrobe (plus a tv that we couldn't get to work) and it had it's own bathroom. It was clean but there was no hand soap. The room was rather cold at night as we weren't aware of any heating system. Our room was facing a small courtyard so there was no noise at all. Actually, the hostel itself was really quiet. They have wifi, but for some reason it wasn't working well. There's no kitchen and no breakfast, but there are some cafes and a mini market (Opencor) closeby. There's also no common room so it's hard to get to know any other people who are staying there. Not too impressed by the staff, we were just handed the key and shown to the room, without much talking. There are no brochures about any attractions and no free maps. They did't ask if we needed any help, advice or tips about the city... which has been normal in other hostels. All in all the hostel is good value for your money if you're looking for a calm place just to sleep.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

It was located on a quiet back street which was about 10 minutes walk from main centre.

There were quite a few stairs to climb to our room.Our double room and en suite were very spacious and clean. The air con would only work during set times, but generally this wasn't a problem.

The staff were polite. Very little English was spoken, but then our Spanish wasn't great either, and we got by.

Good value for money.

5) Great bakery on the street from main road
6) NO Breakfast

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

Highly recommend! Family friendly. Four of us and walking distance of major attractions and what a beautiful city. Love it.

• Stayed June 2011
Veneto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

Arroyo is like a small hotel, simple but nice. There is 24 hours reception and it is located in the center, near the Cathedral. I did not see any common-social area. Double room was nice, and bathroom big. Everything was extremly clean. Our room had TV and air conditioning, though we did not use it. I would raccomend this Hostel, good quality at a cheap price!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Munster, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Cheap, clean, very friendly!!!! I would love to come over again...

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hostal Arroyo? Share your experiences!