“The jewel in the crown” 5 of 5 stars

Complimentary bottle of wine
Ranked #2 of 127 Hotels in Granada
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney
“The jewel in the crown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

This is a charming and beautiful hotel. A renovated villa with style and careful attention to detail. Our room did not look out on the Alhambra but was spacious, fantastic comfortable bed, and lovely bathroom with good quality products. Tea was served every afternoon in the library. As it was the celebration of the 3 Kings when we were there, we received a gift outside our door in the morning. Good breakfast and helpful staff. A real treat.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
erickzig
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

We recently got back from a 16 day trip through Spain. We stayed in 7 different hotels, all of which were in the top 10 rated by Tripadvisor. Of all the hotels, this was our favorite. It was a perfect location right in the old city of Granada. We parked in a lot not too far away and walked with our bags to the hotel. We had a beautiful room overlooking the Alhambra on the top floor. The room was very big and the bed was extremely comfortable! The service was great and everyone was very friendly. The breakfast was also really nice. Many different choices of pastries, meats, cheeses, tortilla espana, cereal, breads, and beverages.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Highland Park, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

I feel bad giving this hotel a negative review, because the hotel itself did nothing wrong, but here's the thing: it is insanely noisy on Carrera del Darro, and we got very little sleep.

The rooms are gorgeous, the hotel is gorgeous, and the front desk is friendly, but the location is so unbelievably loud. I never ever complain about noise, but I agree with the other reviewer who said that it was noisy all. night. long. Seriously, all night. Every time we woke up (which was frequent), there was someone making noise on the street - sometimes really loud, sometimes just a normal tone of voice, but it was carrying right into our room (even though the window was closed). When we woke up at 6:30 am to get out of bed, there was a drunk couple arguing about their relationship below our window. The trash pickup also came in the middle of the night.

Our room was not facing the street either - those are the premium rooms (with a view of the Alhambra)! I am certain even the rooms facing the back would be loud, but maybe less so.

So, while it seems like a good idea to book a room in this incredibly well located hotel, it's actually the location that is its biggest weakness. If we were to go back to Granada, I would stay in a totally different area.

On the other hand, maybe we just needed some (extra extra strength) ear plugs.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

I went to Granada summer 2008 with my best friend and stayed in El Eladron for 3 nights. It's not the cheapest, but there are more hotels nearby that charge more but less in quality. For me everything about the hotel is excellent. Starting from our arrival, excellent location - close to all the city's main attractions and the best bars and restaurants, easy check-in, spacious standard room (unfortunately has no view as that's the only room available at the time), clean bathroom with big shower, good breakfast in the basement from 7-10, great service with smile from all the staff - even the night shift guy who opened the door at 2am. The occasional concerts at the lobby is a nice surprise to our stay. In overall... i have nothing to complain.
Like any other hotels that occupied old building, they all have same problems, thin walls between rooms, floor to ceiling windows, so yes it could be noisy sometimes, that's why i always brought my earplugs, and it's not the hotel's fault. Especially if it's situated near bars/restaurant/city square. But again, i didn't encounter any of the problems.
I have stayed in many hotels in Asia and Europe, from basic hostel/apartments to the 5 stars and exclusive villas, and as an Indonesian, who is used to asian hospitality, where service with smile is a must, i have to say.. El Ladron d'Agua excells in every way.
Thanx to all the staff and keep up the good work.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Dundalk, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights in July and it was simply wonderful. The location is perfect. The hotel is very clean, beautifully decorated, great breakfast and very peaceful. Perfect place to stay if you are visiting Granada.

• Liked — Location and luxury of the hotel
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

The experience we had in this hotel was literally unbelievable, undoubtedly the worst treatment I have ever received by a hotel anywhere in the world!
To begin with the "deluxe room with view of Al Hambra and Jacuzzi" as advertised was a joke. There was nothing deluxe about this room except for the price of €170. But that was OK as we were in Granada for a special occasion so we weren't too bothered. The problems began when we tried to sleep, the noise in the hotel especially in the early morning was intolerable. So much so that we decided to switch hotels and informed the girl behind the desk the next day. Her response was incredible! Not only were we overcharged for the room, and extras that we never used but she wanted to charge us another €170 for a 2nd night even though we were checking out because of the noise! I was looking for candid cameras as I was quite shocked at her behaviour! I have never in my life seen hotel staff scream and shout at guests while banging her fist on the desk! I thought OK time to call the police here, this is totally unacceptable!
Then the manager of the hotel arrives and calmly agrees that half of the €170 would be acceptable. I was surprised but we paid just to get out of the place and move our bags over to our new hotel, and get ready for the wedding that we were attending.
We arrive in our new hotel to find a message saying we left something behind in the old one. Unusual we thought as we never said where we were going. Anyway we head back and ask the manager what did we leave behind? Nothing he says, I just wanted to find out where you were and proceeded to verbally abuse my girlfriend right in front of me calling her a liar and badly educated! The irony is that she has actually has more Degrees and MBAs than anyone I know! I could not believe what I was hearing! We walked out in shock, went back to our 2nd hotel and got a legal complaint form from the desk, which we are sending to the Granada Tourism board and the Spanish hotels regulator. We would have gone to the police but we had a wedding that day and were leaving the next morning, and even though the second hotel was very nice and the staff very polite, we really just wanted to get out of Granada as fast as possible! ... a pity as it truly is a beautiful place to visit.
I warn any readers, stay away from El Ladron de Agua! This is not a professional hotel and I have no idea how they got three stars! Their treatment of us was a disgrace!

Stayed June 2008
eldarroGranada, Director at El Ladron de Agua, responded to this review, February 6, 2009
The only objective facts regarding this complaint are as follows: These clients had come to attend a wedding and were satisfied after taking their room. At 3pm the following day they told the receptionist that they were leaving the hotel on account of an emergency, that they had also had problems with noise and that “suddenly” they no longer liked the room either. This is a quiet room on the third floor of the hotel. It is very attractive, with good views of the Alhambra and a hydromassage bath. No one has ever complained about it in the past; on the contrary, we have been congratulated on it frequently. Furthermore, they did not say anything to reception during the course of the first night or on the following morning. They were told that, given the time and the hotel’s policy regarding cancellations, they would have to pay for that day. They were unhappy about this and wished to speak to me, the hotel director. Believing that, besides their sudden dislike of the room, there had really been some kind of emergency, I decided to offer them special consideration and only charge them 50% for the second day of their stay. However, by chance I subsequently saw them enter the neighbouring hotel (40 metres away) and I was upset because they had used false pretences, simply to move to another location where, it seems, the main wedding group were staying. This decision is legitimate in itself and does not concern me, but consequently they should have paid their day’s stay and not have taken advantage of my credulity and good will as they did. They also happened to leave a night garment in the room, and we had to call them so that they could come and collect it; when they did so I drew their attention to the inopportune nature of their behaviour… I also said that it was not fair to badmouth the hotel and our conduct, which was extremely polite at all times. These clients have made absurd official complaints at the Local Council and other bodies, which have, of course, all been registered and filed. For our part, we are now going to look at initiating legal proceedings for slander and damage to our reputation. We would encourage everyone to come and see for themselves what this hotel and the room in question are like. If you are not satisfied after your first night you will not be charged. Many thanks. The director, El ladrón de Agua.
australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

We stayed in this hotel on a friday and saturday night
We loved the hotel and while our room was at the back of the hotel it was extremely noisey all night and I mean all night
until 5 or 6 in the morning
The hotel is centrally situated close to restaurants and close to the bus to the alhambra
It is not easy to get to as you need a taxi to get there from the airport as well as the railway station

Stayed May 2008

Been to El Ladron de Agua? Share your experiences!