“Nice room - until it leaked” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Reina Cristina Hotel

You added Reina Cristina Hotel to your Saves list
Reina Cristina Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Tablas numero 4, 18002 Granada, Spain (Centro - Sagrario)   |
Ranked #98 of 127 Hotels in Granada
Chicago IL area
“Nice room - until it leaked”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We spent 2 nights here in October, 2013. The overall hotel was clean and quiet. Its location is only a 5 minute walk to the cathedral. Our room was OK, but the beds were rock hard (as were 4 out of 5 hotels we stayed at in Spain.) The people at the front desk were very helpful and cheery. The breakfast was very good with a large selection of food and drink. Free (slow) WiFi in the lobby.

Our only complaint was that on our last night, a pipe in the bathroom ceiling started to leak slowly. At about 4:00, we woke up to a Drip-Drip-Drip. We had to mop up some water on the bathroom floor with the towels and move a garbage can to catch the dripping water. I went the front desk person who verified there was no water on the floor above us. He gave us a large bucket to catch the drips. Even with a towel in the bucket, we had to suffer with the dripping sound for the rest of the night. At check-out, we asked for a discount to compensate for our disrupted night and were denied. I don't think we should have had to pay full price for a partial nights sleep.

Ignoring the issue above, I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: There is a nice little bakery across from the hotel that has good baked goods and pre-made sandwiche...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Korean first
Palm Springs, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We spent three nights at the Hotel Reina Cristina on our recent trip to Spain. The price was definitely right for a junior suite on the side of the building, and the room was quiet (side of the building faces an alley/narrow street). Not much of a view (except for occasional glimpses of the Granada moon, which can be spectacular) but that was fine since we wanted a quiet room and Granada is definitely a very loud city. Hotel is in central part of city -- good location and you can walk most places.

Hotel and room were immaculate, and staff were friendly and service good except for a few things. There is an extra charge (2 Euros per day) for use of the in-room safe, but no one told us that when we checked in and there was nothing about it on the safe itself, which just had instructions on how to program it. So I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to use the safe before going down to reception to enquire, where the clerk told me that I had to pay and she would then program my key card to use the safe. No apologies and didn't think this was unusual at all. This shouldn't be an issue.

Wireless reception in our room was terrible - don't waste your time or money.

Wouldn't recommend breakfast, either, which didn't compare to other hotels we stayed in. Cheaper, yes, but not as good a selection of items and instant (yes, instant) coffee from a Nescafe machine. Generally the coffee in Spain is excellent, but this was terrible, and as coffee drinkers, not what we like to have at breakfast.

Room Tip: Our room was a "junior suite" on the side of the building facing the alley (narrow street...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Just returned from Spain, and we very much enjoyed our stay at the Reina Cristina. The room was squeaky clean and large by EU standards. The decor in the hotel proper was a combination of rustic and elegant. We were on a special senior rate which was appreciated. The breakfast was delicious, especially the bread pudding. The location is top notch, so much is within easy walking distance. All in all, an excellent value.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
stratford upon avon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Chose hotel because of its location. Most places of interest in Granada are of walking distance, anything further, all buses can be caught near the cathedral...a 4 minute walk.
Hotel was easy to find...used Google maps the day before, to show us the way from bus stop at cathedral.
On entering, we was met by a calming water feature and a life size cut out of a famous Spanish poet, who used to live there?? (Federico Garcia Lorca). Receptionist welcomed us, even when we got there at 7am..5 hours before we could check in (we only wanted to leave our bags), but a double room was free, so she checked us in there and then.
The hotel has charming decorations...with 3 floors, so not massive, with small tasteful decorations around the corridors/stairs.
The room we had was a modern extension,opened with key card, the 'older' rooms still used old fashioned keys. On entering, our room was very spacious, with a warm interior.
The faults we found on the first day were....Toilets seat was loose and a brass curtain wall fitting kept coming out the wall when we went to close curtains at night.
On later days, the 'free' tioletries was never replaced, good job we took our own. We turned air conditioning down, as we was sweating at night. Finally, the top blankets were evil on the twin beds..rough, not smooth and strokable.
Extra charges we found out were:Safe (had a daily charge of 3euro), Wi-Fi (also a 2euro charge)
Breakfasts in the morning, was at times sparse. The restaurant was looked after by only one member of staff, doing everything. Many times we had to ask for cups,plates and more milk etc. The buffet could have had more variety, bread was only of one sort, never a square loaf, for 'typical' toast. Only ever scrambled eggs, bacon, a selection of cakes, a couple of fruits ready cut and only one cereal. Not really worth the extra money in our eyes...You can do better by getting breakfast somewhere else, there were loads of places very close you could go.
Finally, the best bit, Mari Luz?? the female receptionist....Very, very helpful, when we asked her sometimes strange things, she was happy to help, printing out info for us and giving us clear advise. The male receptionists were no way near as good as she was.
All in all then, this hotel as a typical 3 star hotel, with the added bonus of a place that made you feel happy to enter its door with its charm and beauty.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed in the Hotel Reina Cristina for 3 nights while I was working in the city. I couldn't fault the prices of the room and the excellent location, but I very very much wished that I had booked a double room for myself instead of a single, and I had a few problems with my stay. Let's start with the positives:

The reception staff was incredibly helpful and friendly, as was the bar staff next door. I had dinner one day and lunch another in the restaurant next door, and the food/service was great. The hotel has a lovely entrance patio, and the location can't be beat. It's less than 5 minutes walk to the Cathedral and to loads of shops, restaurants and tapas bars in the area. Also, having paid only about £35 per night, it felt like a bargain for it being so centrally located.

Now on to the negatives: As I was traveling alone on business, I booked a single room thinking that it would be sufficient for me, but the bed was quite small and made terrible squeaking noises which woke me up every time I turned over trying to sleep.

The hotel was also HOT, and there didn't seem to be any form of air con in the room. In addition, the single room opened up to the interior patio, which wouldn't have been a problem except that with the windows open (because of the heat), you can hear EVERYTHING that happens downstairs. On my first night, it literally sounded like someone was moving furniture across the floor at 5:30am, so I was torn between being hot and having the windows closed because of the noise, or being kept awake by the noise, but with a slight breeze.

Also, I had loads of trouble with their internet connection. As I was working, I had to make Skype calls back to the UK, which were nearly impossible to do because of the slow connection. Also, when I tried to stream a TV show at night (because the TV only had 2 working channels), the connection would stop my stream after about 5 minutes, leaving me without TV all together.

Overall, I would say that this is a nice hotel, but I imagine that the double rooms are not only bigger, but they might allow for a bit of a breeze as well. I would not recommend coming here for a business trip unless you don't require the internet for work, but for a holiday in Granada I'd say it would be fine. Very close to all the sights!! I would also recommend paying more to have a bigger room (even if you are a single traveler) just so you can avoid any noisiness from the hotel lobby/patio.

Room Tip: I would avoid the single rooms if at all possible. Very hot and noisy!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This hotel is very deceiving from the outside. It's simple exterior hides a very tastefully decorated and fancy interior. The neighborhood is very lively with a short walk to the center of town, the Cathedral and many restaurants and shops. Can't beat this location.

The hotel is located on a narrow one-way street, so you cannot park in front to check in. What you need to do is pull in the side of the hotel on the left where there is an alleyway that you can park until you get instructions on where the parking lot is.

The woman running the front desk was super helpful and friendly. She seemed to be there day and night. The rooms are simple, with outdated but functional furniture. The TV is an old tube job and the bathroom is a bit small. The king size bed was comfortable if not a bit firm. The hotel lobby, hallways and public rooms were exceptional. While I was eating breakfast in the dining room, I almost felt like I was in one of the ballrooms at the Plaza hotel in NYC. It is that nice.
The breakfast also was very good with plenty of hot and cold choices. Overall, we enjoyed Granada and the Alhambra and felt this hotel was an excellent choice...especially for the money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We had two nights in the Reina Cristina - it is a great place to stay in the middle of Granada, right on Placa Trinidad (which is lovely in itself). All of the rooms are arranged around two inner courtyards with loads of hanging plants and a tinkling fountain - very moorish! I was shocked at how luxurious and comforable the room was, considering the price that we paid for it. It had a little lounge area (in the room) complete with sofa and chairs (and a fridge) - it is was more like a little flat really. Beds very comfy, a balcony to look out onto Granada's streetlife and a huge bathroom. The breakfast was of a very very high quality - lots of fresh orange juice and fruit, and a hot and cold options. It felt very luxurious and as thorugh we were being taken care of - I'm not used to this in a hotel and I have to say I loved it and will definitely be staying again next time I am in Granada. I can thorough recommend it!

Room Tip: We were on the first floor, and had a room on a corner (which may have made it bigger? - not sure).
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Reina Cristina Hotel? Share your experiences!