“Excellent location in Granada, but with a few issues” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Reina Cristina Hotel

Save Saved
You added Reina Cristina Hotel to your Saves list
Reina Cristina Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Tablas numero 4, 18002 Granada, Spain (Centro - Sagrario)   |
Ranked #89 of 128 Hotels in Granada
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent location in Granada, but with a few issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed in the Hotel Reina Cristina for 3 nights while I was working in the city. I couldn't fault the prices of the room and the excellent location, but I very very much wished that I had booked a double room for myself instead of a single, and I had a few problems with my stay. Let's start with the positives:

The reception staff was incredibly helpful and friendly, as was the bar staff next door. I had dinner one day and lunch another in the restaurant next door, and the food/service was great. The hotel has a lovely entrance patio, and the location can't be beat. It's less than 5 minutes walk to the Cathedral and to loads of shops, restaurants and tapas bars in the area. Also, having paid only about £35 per night, it felt like a bargain for it being so centrally located.

Now on to the negatives: As I was traveling alone on business, I booked a single room thinking that it would be sufficient for me, but the bed was quite small and made terrible squeaking noises which woke me up every time I turned over trying to sleep.

The hotel was also HOT, and there didn't seem to be any form of air con in the room. In addition, the single room opened up to the interior patio, which wouldn't have been a problem except that with the windows open (because of the heat), you can hear EVERYTHING that happens downstairs. On my first night, it literally sounded like someone was moving furniture across the floor at 5:30am, so I was torn between being hot and having the windows closed because of the noise, or being kept awake by the noise, but with a slight breeze.

Also, I had loads of trouble with their internet connection. As I was working, I had to make Skype calls back to the UK, which were nearly impossible to do because of the slow connection. Also, when I tried to stream a TV show at night (because the TV only had 2 working channels), the connection would stop my stream after about 5 minutes, leaving me without TV all together.

Overall, I would say that this is a nice hotel, but I imagine that the double rooms are not only bigger, but they might allow for a bit of a breeze as well. I would not recommend coming here for a business trip unless you don't require the internet for work, but for a holiday in Granada I'd say it would be fine. Very close to all the sights!! I would also recommend paying more to have a bigger room (even if you are a single traveler) just so you can avoid any noisiness from the hotel lobby/patio.

Room Tip: I would avoid the single rooms if at all possible. Very hot and noisy!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This hotel is very deceiving from the outside. It's simple exterior hides a very tastefully decorated and fancy interior. The neighborhood is very lively with a short walk to the center of town, the Cathedral and many restaurants and shops. Can't beat this location.

The hotel is located on a narrow one-way street, so you cannot park in front to check in. What you need to do is pull in the side of the hotel on the left where there is an alleyway that you can park until you get instructions on where the parking lot is.

The woman running the front desk was super helpful and friendly. She seemed to be there day and night. The rooms are simple, with outdated but functional furniture. The TV is an old tube job and the bathroom is a bit small. The king size bed was comfortable if not a bit firm. The hotel lobby, hallways and public rooms were exceptional. While I was eating breakfast in the dining room, I almost felt like I was in one of the ballrooms at the Plaza hotel in NYC. It is that nice.
The breakfast also was very good with plenty of hot and cold choices. Overall, we enjoyed Granada and the Alhambra and felt this hotel was an excellent choice...especially for the money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We had two nights in the Reina Cristina - it is a great place to stay in the middle of Granada, right on Placa Trinidad (which is lovely in itself). All of the rooms are arranged around two inner courtyards with loads of hanging plants and a tinkling fountain - very moorish! I was shocked at how luxurious and comforable the room was, considering the price that we paid for it. It had a little lounge area (in the room) complete with sofa and chairs (and a fridge) - it is was more like a little flat really. Beds very comfy, a balcony to look out onto Granada's streetlife and a huge bathroom. The breakfast was of a very very high quality - lots of fresh orange juice and fruit, and a hot and cold options. It felt very luxurious and as thorugh we were being taken care of - I'm not used to this in a hotel and I have to say I loved it and will definitely be staying again next time I am in Granada. I can thorough recommend it!

Room Tip: We were on the first floor, and had a room on a corner (which may have made it bigger? - not sure).
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Frisco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I was able to get a small apartment separate from the hotel and next to and overlooking the Cathedral. Staff at the desk were very friendly and helpful as were the entire staff at the bar and restaurant. Be advised, English is not a very high priority language in the area, but the people here are muy simpatico and patient. The entire area by the hotel is absolutelymmarvelous. it is nearby a Granada bus tour stop as well, so easy cheap rides to Al Ahambra. This was far beyond my expectations. Don't let the gypsies by the Cathedral bother you.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We spent one night here in August this year, and whilst the location is superb the hotel is not, in our opinion worth 3 stars. The air conditioning appeared to be on a central control which went off during the night (in August when it is 40 degrees that is not acceptable). The staff were incredibly unhelpful and breakfast is not worth paying for. On the plus side the room/bathroom was very clean but I would not recommend this hotel unless you are on a very low budget.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Of all the places I stayed in my recent trip to Spain, this was the best. I was traveling alone at this point and they provided me with an elegant, comfortable single room which was ideally suited to my needs with all the required amenities. This is a beautiful small hotel in the center of Granada which is ideally located for visiting all the major tourist attractions and taking advantage of the many nice restaurants around. Granada is a lovely city and this hotel is a fine representation of the hospitality and kindness of the people. The lobby of the hotel is beautiful apportioned and decorated in classic style. I just felt at home in this hotel and very comfortable without any of the alienation that often comes with staying at any hotel. They offer a fine breakfast and the staff is very helpful. I would go back anytime with pleasure.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I stayed for one night, next time my stay will be longer. The staff were excellent and the location, once reached is fantastic. Great value for money, full of history. I would definately recommend staying here.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Reina Cristina Hotel? Share your experiences!