“Friendly and helpful staff, good location, comfort & cleanliness and value for money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Castil

You added Castil to your Saves list
Castil
Calle Darrillo De La Magdalena 1 Derecha, 18002 Granada, Spain   |
Ranked #10 of 93 Granada B&B and Inns
Figueres, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

For me had all the things that I look for in a hotel of this grading – friendly and helpful staff, good location, comfort & cleanliness and value for money. The owner Eva (as other reviews have stated) is quite a character, she is very eager to help and has an infectious smile. We stayed during Semana Santa and we unbeknown to us we were delighted to find we had booked a room on the main procession route. We grabbed some beers and watched it out our window. Eva saw us doing this and invited us into her apartment to watch it on her balcony. She gave us food and tea, and introduced us to her lovely family and her wonderful little daughter Maria who has that same smile as her!

The location was great and very central, and there are a number of nice little squares nearby and all the main sights walking distance. It is in the pedestrianized city centre so there is no loud main road to keep you up at night. The beds/ pillows aren’t the best in the world, but I slept well the two nights of my stay. The hostel is nicely decorated and very clean.

This place is not going to be for everyone – there is no en-suite/ TV in the room, also there is a climb up steps to the second floor, but if the things I listed at the beginning are important to you – come and stay! You won’t regret it!

Room Tip: If you come during Semana Santa ask for a room facing the main street so you can get a good view of...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

St. George, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have come to stay at the Pension Castil through a workaway program for 1 and a half weeks. I get to work with Eva (the landlord) every day (painting and refreshing other apartments.) I have to say that this has been one of the greatest experiences I've had. I spend a lot of time in the Hostel. My bed is comfortable and I sleep well at night (even though it is hot here in Granada in the summer... there is a nice breeze that comes through the windows making it very pleasant.) I share a 3 bed room and find it to be basic but spacious enough. We have a sink in room and a shared bathroom. Everything is very clean (Eva makes sure to keep it that way.)
It is the PERFECT location in Granada. You are a very easy walk away from most everything in the city. It is very easy to leave to explore the city and come back and rest. Even though it is in the center of the city... there is not as much noise as you would expect (although by habit I do sleep with earplugs.)
Eva is one of the greatest people I've ever met. She holds the line, but is also very giving and generous. She has helped me out immensely!
If you are looking for a budget place to stay without all the bells and whistles, but within the heart of downtown Granada... this is the place for you. I would HIGHLY recommend it! I will be coming back for sure!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stayed in a shared bed room and it was so enjoyable. the owner is very nice and funny. She is a memorable lively person. The hostel is small, quiet, and clean and just about as central as can be. Sometimes in the afternoon an accordion player would play beneath us. I made quick friends with my roommates and had a fantastic time which is not usually the case in a crowded very busy hostel It was a good reprieve and I highly recommend ths place.

• Stayed July 2013
merzouga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hostel is a great choice. In the heart of the historical Granada, I could visit the most important places of Granada only by walking. Besides, the owner, Eva is a great persone and she does her best to satisfy her guests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed at Pensión Castil for two nights in mid-April while visiting Granada, and I would happily stay there again!
The lady who owns the pensión was warm, friendly and informative. When I arrived she gave me a map and showed me everything I needed to see during my stay in Granada. The pensión is also located right in the center of the city, so everything was within walking distance! The common area, bathrooms, and bedroom were all impeccably clean and prettily decorated--it was obvious to me that the pensión was run with great care and attention to detail.
The rooms don't have central heating (which I believe is common in southern Europe), but the room's closet was loaded with thick blankets, so I slept wonderfully in a warm and comfortable bed. The showers were also hot and had good pressure, and despite the fact that the bathrooms were shared, they were always sparkingly clean! A small breakfast of toasted bread and a hot beverage was served each morning, and there was free Wi-Fi throughout the pensión.
Pensión Castil is neither a fancy four-star hotel nor a social youth hostel, but it IS a friendly, clean, quiet, affordable, and relaxing place to stay while exploring a beautiful city. I would highly recommend staying at Pensión Castil if you are visiting Granada!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Gainesville VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

The people who run the place are very nice and the price, 15 euro per bed, make this a great alternative to a hostel.

The rooms, however, are below basic. The beds are little more than cots. There is no heat or AC, a problem when it's in the mid-30's (f) in mid-April (I don't normally expect AC in budget accomodations). The in-room sinks have only a cold water line, as do the bathroom sinks, the only hot water was in the shower and the only heaters are above the mirrors in the bathrooms (and only one bathroom had a working heater).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank bdjtbenson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Hostal castil is a One Star hotel. No more - no less.
You get no breakfast, no flatscreen tv, no spacious private bathroom. But you get an easy, cosy, cheap and clean place to sleep. If this is what you want, hostal castil is what you need.
The Location is great (4 minutes from the cathedral, parking nearby, Bus to alhambra 3 minutes), the Staff friendly (and fluent in english), the rooms and bathrooms very (!) clean and with wifi...!

• Stayed July 2011