“was spanish turkey and tinsel weekend but was very pleasent” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Picasso
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pz De la independencia s/n, 29620 Torremolinos, Spain   |
Ranked #59 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
“was spanish turkey and tinsel weekend but was very pleasent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

We were booked into this hotel by the travel agent last march for a long weekend as it was the only place we could get into due to room availablity with children (15 & 11 yr old). It was more Malaga than Torremolinos. 5 mins taxi ride from airport.
Firstly, the hotel was a little old fashioned and run down, but was very very clean. It said it was a 3 star but id say it was more a 2 star by british standards. We wanted only one room so we were not having to pay for an extra room as money was tight. I was pleased with what we got, hubby wasnt as impressed. The staff made our `basic` room very neat and tidy and suitable for all four of us. The rooms were cleaned everyday, which made it feel a little special for us ladies. I couldnt fault the cleaners at all. Also all of the hotel staff were friendly but i noticed couldnt speak a word of english. This is were sign language and plenty of nodding & smiling worked well. Most of the other guests, who were all on a turkey and tinsel weekend, were very friendly indeed. The old ladies loved my little man and i even got invited to a dance in the upstairs ballrooom by an elderly gentleman. That made my son laugh. lol. The pleasent nature of the other guests and locals made it a delight to just be there.
We decided to pay half board. The breakfast was absoloutly devine but we tried the dinner once then decided to pass for the rest of the stay. We just stuck to the breakfasts. This is when it cost us a fortune by eating out for lunch and dinner. Never again shall we fall into this trap. And It wasnt until we were on our last day, that i realised the oldies were making packed lunches, and we were not!
The area were the hotel was situated was very friendly, had a homely feeling due to the carnival and felt very old fashioned but in a nice way. Our view was not too great...no view of beach, town or hills...just flats or rooftops. But every time i looked out of the large doors/windows, i was reminded that i was definately in spain. It was very rustic with cafes and icecream shops. But due to the bad weather, which we were not impresed with as we had only gone for the weekend, we watched plenty of telly...but it was only in spanish. We seemed to have been placed in the real spanish area of Toro, not the tourist end, which caused a little problem with the language barrier.
But overall i thought the stay was very pleasent and made me feel at ease. It was a nice relaxing weekend. But i would not take children back here as i think kids should have a beach or pool nearby. But for adults it was just a lovely environment. I would go back here if i really wanted too but personally, i dont like the costa del sol but the hotel was just nice. Also, it said there was a pool but were abouts it was was a mystery.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

Stayed at the hotel at the end of the season and got a great deal, you do get what you pay for.

This is a very very basic hotel, you have to leave a deposit for a remote control - not that I did! I had no problems with the staff or the hotel, breakfast like the rest of the hotel is basic, I mainly ate at the local cafe's which offered a lot better standard food. It is a great location 10 minutes from the beach and only minutes from the shops and bars.

Rooms are cleaned daily - beds old and could do with a refurb.

I never got to the pool, to many people!!!

I would check out other hotels if going to Torrie but if you purely what a bed in a room which is safe Picasso is for you.

Room Tip: Ask to stay at the fron of the hotel away from the church!!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Aberdeen, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

I agree with all the reviewers who commented on the hotel pool. This could be a nice area although small if some renovation could be done to it. There were only two broken sunloungers and the area was very uninviting when we went to have a look outside. The beach could potentially be quite a distance away for some people and there is no pool area as such for those who do not want to go to the beach. It wouldnt take much to make the area around the pool a nice alternative to visiting the beach.

Room Tip: The rooms we had looked over the square and we could watch the entertaining at the weekend from the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011 via mobile

Compared to other three star hotels in the area, the Picasso is very poor. The location is good for the shops, the beach is a bit of a walk.
The rooms are very basic and dated although the bed sheets were clean and the beds were made up every day. The tv screen was cracked but did work. The breakfast was not good - hot things were cold and cold things warm! To pay the full listed price for this hotel is scandalous!

• Stayed September 2011
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

In Torremolinos you have a little dilemma: either you stay on a beach or prefer the night life and book a hotel in the centre of town. The stairs in between are really a task in a heat.

This time I wanted to find me low-budget hotel in centre of city and Hotel Picasso turn out to be a pleasant surprise. The location is good, by the small square, no access by car in the front, but it only means: a quiet hotel. The only noise came on Sunday from church bells (10m away from my window!) but bells rang on 11 o´clock, so no harm done there.

Room was big and clean. Air condition did work, Would be nice to have a small refrigerator, but it was a hotel, not a apartimentos. Breakfast was included and it was better than in many hotels, but with less than 10 Euros you get better coffee, juice and toast or baguette in many Cafe´s around city.

Stuff at the desk where helpful , even I met only one who could speak English. I would recommend Hotel Picasso for all travellers who prefer spending they money to something else than luxury hotel room, after all: How many hours awake you spend per day in your room? and while you are sleeping, only thing witch matters is a good bed!! ...Well if you are tall, you are in trouble in Spain ; )

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

I will never book with expedia again. i have just got bk from spain, i booked 2 wks in the hotel picasso,supposedly 3 star, turns out this is an hostel, and somebody has scratched a star of the hotel wall, it was disgusting, dirty, after eating breakfast the first day, i later felt odd, ended up in bed for 3 days with gastro enteritis, Later found out they had put out of date yogurt out for breakfast which i ate, and fruit was rotting and the noise was unreal, fights and arguments going on till 6 in the morning on both wkends.
There is TWO broken sunbeds for the whole hotel, and the area where they are there is a airduct blowing waste kitchen air over you, it wasnt cheap either, £650.00 for 2 wks, plus i had to pay £50.00 for my luggage at the airport, which is in their small print but so very misleading, am waiting on their reply, will let you know

Room Tip: book with an abta travel agent
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

Stayed at Hotel Picasso end of August 2010, for the price it was cheap and fantastic as it included a evening meal and breakfast plus a double for sole en suite bedded room. The service was 1st class on arrival as I was sat down for my meal 1 minute before the Restaurant closed and had my 3 course meal in a rather dated and messy 2 star restaurant. I slept fine and had no problem with room..it was nice!.. After my basic breakfast in a rather depressing restaurant, I checked out and walked 30 minutes to a beach, on my way I realised I left some rings in the bathroom. As I was far from the hotel, I went back after my day at the Beach, hoping to retrieve my rings and the management told me that they were in Housekeeping and that they had all gone home. Surely jewellery should be kept in a safe in a management office? The Duty Manager said the hotel would contact me the next day, it is now 5 months gone and they do not seem to answer my e-mails, they have told me that they will send the rings..still not received them. Please do not leave valuables at this hotel as they never contact you, the management have made things upsetting as one ring was valuable. The hotel admitted that they had found the rings, the frustrating thing is that the service was awful and pathetic, not even thinking about my feelings or any consideration, I am frustrated and still annoyed and I do not know what to do, but just to give up and pretend it never happenend.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Picasso? Share your experiences!