“Great choice” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Laval, Canada
“Great choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

The hotel staff is polite, patient and very helpful. The rooms are clean, spacious. Quiet hotel, not noisy. If they do not know the answer to your question, they look it up on the internet. They speak many languages, very impressive.
Beds are hard though...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Dear Sylvie J,
Thank you so much for choosing the Sol Don Marco hotel for your trip to Spain.
I appreciate your comments and I am really glad that the staff were able to help you with all your requirements.
I am sorry that you found the beds too hard. We have softer mattresses available for those who prefer them but unfortunately I see that you were not aware of this.
I hope that we might see you again should you visit the Costa del Sol in the future.
Jaime Floyer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I have just returned from a weeks stay at the Don Marco with my Mother. I made a request prior to travelling and can I say this was met in its entirety. We were given rooms 5001 & 5002 which were both immaculate with an outstandingly large balcony.

We arrived early at 10.30am and I fully expected having to wait for the rooms, however they were ready for us which allowed us to enjoy an excellent first day.

Food - We booked half board basis and both my Mum and I fully enjoyed the choice of meals. Fantastic fruit and salad bar along with many choices of other foods, the only thing I missed was Lamb! But plenty of fish, chicken, pork and Beef choices. Sometimes the grill food was a little rare but just ask and they would cook for longer. We had lunch instead of dinner most days but still excellent choice.

Staff - All staff we encountered were extremely polite, friendly and noticeably so respectful of each other which was nice to see and hear! Despite being English I could understand Spanish. There is a Management presence and this I feel assists customer satisfaction and staff morale. My Mum lost her mobile phone and within 15 minutes of contacting reception it was found and returned to her room, many thanks for this.

Rooms - As already stated I really do feel we got fantastic rooms these were however kept immaculately clean by our friendly cleaner. Adequate facilities in room with plenty of plugs, storage and mirrors. Furniture tiring a little but not an issue to me I loved the firm mattress.

Exterior - The pools and all outside areas were kept immaculate being cleaned down every day and the pool was lovely and warm to swim in. Just a suggestion we struggled to get a drink around the pool due to bar being closed so went out to shop for water and soft drinks, maybe a vending machine would be good as we prob spent 60 euro on soft drinks and water over the week.

All in all we had a fantastic Holiday and would definitely return again. I holiday 5 times a year most usually 5 star All inclusive but would certainly come here again with my Husband. My Mum really enjoyed all aspects of the hotel and wants to return again soon.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear del70,
I am so glad that you enjoyed the Sol Don Marco so much. Thank you for writing about your stay on TA and letting us all know.
I have taken note of your suggestion of a vending machine at the quiet pool. As you know there are 9 pools in total in the complex and we have two operating bars with lunch menus as well. The quiet pool by the Don Marco had a bar years ago but it was rarely used and it was felt better to leave the area calm and allow guests to head over the bridge to the Pablo pool bar or downstairs to the Romano bar if the wanted service. We had a vending machine for a year but guests didn't really make use of it. Perhaps we will try it again.
Thanks again for your detailed review. Please do come again.
Watford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Nice hotel just across the road from miles of beach. Clean rooms with good facilities and pleasant staff without exception. Lots of beds (not so many shades) and the pools and communal area were well tended.
Food more focused on quantity rather than quality and staff were stretched at meal times and therefore service was hit and miss.
Good value for money but disappointing half board means we would look elsewhere when we return.
Visit one of the local bars and get their wifi password as you can access these from the pool area, but give the cocktails a miss at the Los Corales beach across the road as these were the worst we had.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Paul021,
Many thanks for your review. I appreciate all your comments and we will use them to help us to improve in the future. We have added more shade for the pools as I realise that it gets very hot in the afternoon.
I am sorry that you didn't really like the dinner service. We have a wide variety of dishes on offer as we have a very international clientelle. We try to ensure that there is something for every taste but appreciate that this is not always possible. I am sorry.
Thanks again for your input and for choosing the Sol Don Marco.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Once again a most enjoyable stay at the Sol Don Marco. As always staff were friendly, helpful and a credit to the company and manager Jamie Floyer. Especial mention should go to Miguel and Ana who both went out of their way to assist us.

The restaurant service was vastly improved on previous years with tables cleared and set far faster than previously. The food as always was plentiful and something for everyone. It would be good to have a toaster that didn't require the bread putting through 4 times before it acquired even a hint of a tan!

As always, very disappointed that so many think that shorts, T-shirts and flip flops are appropriate attire for dinner in a 4* hotel, but pleased to see so many more of the ladies making an effort.

Sorry not to see the bar open in the Marco at night, particularly as so many people are in reception using the WiFi. Last year when we stayed at the same time it was open and we had a couple of evening on the I-Pad with coffee and brandy which was good, this year we had to go out for the refreshments after trying the WiFi in the Pablo with a drink and realising that it was poor and very localised in comparison.

The changes to the Pablo pool are excellent! I have always enjoyed using the pool but have increasingly found it difficult to get out on the old steps, the new walk in - walk out steps have made such a difference.

All in all and excellent stay and we will be back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jennyag2001,
It is lovely to hear from regular guests as they can tell us how we managing to improve our service and where we might have let things slip.
I am sorry about the bar. It is currently open and furthermore we are replacing the WiFi distribution in the Pablo because the demand for WiFi has increased so dramatically in the past year.
Thank you for your positive comments about the new Pablo pool complex. We are very pleased with the result of the work and have had so many great comments.
Please come back soon.
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Excellent hotel, great service - the staff are extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Chamber maid even noticed I have stuff in the fridge and when they left after cleaning, they slot in a card for the room to ensure the power and the fridge is kept on so the food doesn't go bad. I had a late flight and the hotel was very kind to let me have a shower after check out - very thoughtful customer service considering the very hot weather.
Right next to the lovely beach. Lots sun decks around 5 pools even though they can get taken up very quickly.
Downside is the noisy entertainment in the evening in the open balcony area, and all the windows/balcony doors are not sound proof.
Food in the hotel is really awful for such a lovely hotel. I think anyone at home can do better. I had breakfast there every morning and one dinner buffet where no drinks were included. Dinner is worse - badly cooked meal with poor quality food. You can easily find better food costing less outside the hotel though.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better, and those rooms not facing the balcony or the entrance of the hotel is qui...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Pattie_WLondon,
Thank you for choosing the Don Marco for your holidays and for writing up your TA review. I very much appreciate all your comments and am glad that you were well looked after.
I have taken note of your comments about the entertainment and the dining room. I am sorry that you were not impressed. I am pleased to see that on balance however you enjoyed your holiday.
Thanks again.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Ok here's the real deal. Went over in June with the family. Facilities ,location, very good for what your paying however here's the catch. The Restaurant. OMG. Stuck in the seventies. The food is awful . If these guys in there are chefs then my names Alan Wicker. Easily the poorest I've been in in the area. It's about time the Sol chain took a long hard look at the standards operating in this restaurant. Poorly organised , poor decor and food that's asking for trouble. If you visit body swerve the grub it's just money wasted . We did half board but had to go out it was that bad. This hotel has great potential but is stuck in a time warp. SOL directors take note your asking for trouble. Best advice to the directors would be to send in the inspection team unannounced and see for yourselves. SUBSTANDARD

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear James F,
Thanks for your review. I am so sorry that you found the restaurant so disappointing. We work very hard to create a buffet that offers satisfaction for a large variety of nationalities and age groups and in general we have very good customer feedback. I see however that you were not at all happy. I would very much like to have a clearer idea of what was not to your liking as we are always aiming to improve. The buffet menus are designed for Sol brand hotels on a 14-day rotation with a certain amount of leeway for each hotel dependent on local specialities, different clientelles etc. We have regular Mystery Guest inspections from the chain to make sure that we are applying brand standards which, again, we comply with to a high degree.
I can only apologise that we failed you in this respect.
Thank you for your comments.
Ashford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Exellent hotel right next to the beach really good postion for shops and bar and resturants .
The check in at reception very eay with pleasant staff .the room was on the 4 th floor with views across the pool garden and sea ,room was spotless as was the bathroom. We were on bed and breakfast as the morning buffet for breakfast was exellent with good selection of food ,we did not need to eat until the evening .There are 5 pools on the complex ang getting a bed no problem .If you have a late return flight the provide a safe locked room for your luggage and a room to allow you to chage and shower all in all first class all ,round

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear AshfordBoy,
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay so much and have taken time to write about your experience. Thank you.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.