“shadow” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Montreal, Canada
“shadow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

realy good place good variety of food personel great everything great l will return anytime hotel near of commodity long walk on passeo maritimo quiet secur a real paradise espanol great persons smiling

Room Tip: good choice personel and service great
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Whitchurch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Have just spent 1 week in the Don Marco. Had a top floor room with a big balcony with sun loungers and a table and chairs. The room was clean and tidy. The cleaners were very nice people and helpful. The air conditioning worked well and kept the room nice and cool.
We only ate in the Don Marco so can not comment on the other dining room.we got down to the dining room early and had no problem finding seats. There is a lot of choice for Breakfast.Pancakes were lovely. My only complaint was The sausages, they were horrible.
Dinner was ok, still lots of choice.Meat dishes, fish, salad. jacket potatoes,chips and pizza
Puddings were flavoured custards and a variety of cakes.
I found the lobby hot with no aircon so didn't spent much time in there.
The pools were clean and the grounds well tended. shame the indoor pool was not heated.
they played country and western music live in the afternoon. (not my cup of tea,so didnt enjoy it that much as it could be heard by the pool.)
Loved the hotel so will go back next year.

Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed there ten nights in Don Marco in march 2013. In room looking to inner pool. During our entire stay, Don Marco 's lobby . common areas , were very dimly lit if at all , not heated, foul , fishy odour.Absolutely intolerable. Don Marco restaurant not opened ' as confirmed, so we had to go at Don Pablo' s , overcrowded,quality very , very low, Is this a hospital ? Very disappointing. We tried to talk 3 times to the manager, while there. Got an answer 4 weeks later in Canada, through our travel agency.RESPONSE : Actually. yes. we ' ve encountered some heating and electrical problems ....Got a cash $$$ rebate for this but nevertheless, far from acceptable. Very disappointing.Quite surprising.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear atomas55,
I am so sorry that we let you down last winter. As we mentioned to you through your travel agent in Montreal, the management was not made aware of your request to speak to a manager during your stay and we never found out with whom you had made this request. The local guide for your agency was also unaware of your issue which is a shame as we coud easily have offered you a nice room in either of the other two hotels in the complex.
In any case we recognised the technical problem at the time as we recognise it now and made you an offer of financial compensation which we were given to believe you considered to be fair.
I do apologise again that your inconvenience.
Kind regards,
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We have just returned from a 7 day stay at the Don Marco. We had a lovely room on the top floor, as requested, large bathroom with bath and separate shower cubical. There was a large terrace with 2 sunbeds, a table and 4 chairs which caught the sun every afternoon, it was kept clean by a very attentive chambermaid. The hotel is very well furnished and kept scrupulously clean by the staff. The gardens and pool area are kept to the same standard. One gripe about the outside, there is black mold around the edge of the round swimming pool which could be removed quite easily, but no one bothered. The staff at reception were very polite and helpful. The bar staff were ok but we did not use the bar as the drinks were in my opinion too expensive, 5 euros for a pint of tap beer and over 6 for a vodka and tonic. The house wine was good value and very palatable at 9 euros. My main complaint was the food and the dinning area, the breakfast food was ok with a good selection of fruit, cold meats etc the bacon was always streaky and left in a tray full of oil, the poached eggs were left in a bowel of hot water so they were always hard. There are not enough tea and coffee making facilities, the rotary toasters took three attempts before the toast was brown which meant queues and people pushing and shoving, the place resembled a zoo at peak times. There never seemed to be enough staff on hand to tidy up and clear the tables on most shifts I counted four, if you consider the restaurant for the Don Marco also serves guests from the adjoining hotel the Don Pedro it is totally inadequate in size. As for the dinner don't even bother, the salad bar was lacking in choice, the meats and fish for the main course were precooked and left in a tray to dry out or covered in a sauce and left to simmer . There was little choice of vegetables, the jacket potatoes were left under a lamp and were cold, the desserts looked like the sort of fair you would put on for a children's party jelly, blancmange and the odd gateaux, by the time they had been pushed and prodded around by previous dinners totally unappetizing. My last point on the dinning area, at previous hotels we have stayed at there was a hand sanitizer at the entrance, considering this is a buffet eating area with people using the same serving spoons and tongs it might be an idea to install one thus cutting down the chance of infection. All three of the Don hotels are nice and in a good position right on the beach and 15 minutes from the airport, in my opinion the only thing that lets them down is the food and dinning area, the hotels are 4 star the dinning experience is definitely not. A bit of investment some chefs and smiley waiting staff could make this hotel one of the best. I would use the hotel again but on a room only basis.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Nice hotel but was spoilt by loud music in the afternoon around the pool. It was very surprising the volume. Not sure that I want to lie in the sun and my ears be blasted out! Left the hotel the afternoons that they had the music on.
Sunbeds and umbrellas all past their sell by date. Most uncomfortable. Sunbed blocking in the morning a real problem. All beds booked and not a person on any of them.
Food was luke warm and very repetative. On two occasions I picked up the show cooked chicken pieces. They looked cooked on the outside but were complete raw and still bloody on the inside. This is not acceptable.
Gave this review 3 stars as the hotel is clean and generally well run. Bedrooms adequate and bathroom clean.
Happy hour was the only time that we drank in the hotel as it was too expensive.
Some of the entertainment at night was Ok.
Found the reception staff to be very helpful but not very smiley! Think that this is their way.
Would return again but might choose B&B only.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

We have just stayed at this hotel for a week. The actual hotel is of a good standard. Staff on reception very polite and helpful, so could not fault them. Rooms were cleaned daily and housekeeping therefore of a good standard. Free wifi in reception which had good connection and speed for a Spanish hotel. This hotel I believe is the smaller of the three hotels within the complex and therefore in the quieter area. We asked for a high room which we were given as requested.
Dining / meal times: be warned, the hotel provides tongs to use for food however I must say I found myself on tong patrol and found myself asking people to use the tongs, some just looked at you blankly, others did pick the tongs up and then use. When queuing for your food, you would find people couldn't possible wait, they would have to push past you to get to what they wanted to eat! No manners seemed to be a general problem! There is the same problem at breakfast where you que for hot drinks / juice, again people cannot wait or have the manners to do so. In other hotels you are served hot coffee / water with jugs at your table, this would solve the problem here. I would also like to be taken to my table for my evening meal, as other hotels do however as this is such a large complex I don't think it would be possible.
There is generally a large selection of foods at both breakfast and evening meal so should think there is something to suit most tastes.
There is a nice terrace area where you can eat your meals, however you would find smokers diving out for a smoke and if your were in the area they were smoking they would crowd you - not a pleasurable dining experience!
Although the dress code clearly states long trousers and shirts with sleeves for men on numerous occasions men in shirts and sleeveless shirts - I personally feel the staff should have addressed this and have seen this addressed by staff in other hotels not to far away!
I have to say the staff that waited on you in the dining area worked extremely hard and were also polite and friendly.
For me personally the dining experience became a bit of a negative battle each morning and evening which would put me off returning to this hotel purely for this reason, it was a bit like feeding time for animals at the zoo!
There is a fridge in your room and you can hire a safe for a small daily charge, the safe is of a good size and you can easily fit in iPads etc.
There are plenty of pools to chose from and plenty of sun loungers of you like to sunbathe, however people do reserve them early morning with their towels.
There is nightly entertainment, not our thing however I'm sure it will suit others.
We have been coming to Spain for many years now and I actually feel the town of Torremolinos is now run down as you are on the beach front here you can keep away this area, I am unsure what is like at night.
For the price we paid for the hotel it was a good deal, as stated above I wouldn't rush back due to the meal times which is a shame due to the standard of the hotel, most comments I made do not reflect the actual hotel more the standards of the other guests that were staying there when we did!

• Stayed October 2013
Manchester, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Just back from the Don Marco...having stayed in all 3 of the hotels on the complex..this is certainly the best one.....modern hotel with good size rooms..... although the wardrobe was very very small and in a perculiar place.... right next to the bed...and god help you if your not so tall you would struggle......I am 5'5"....and I did! And no bedside drawers..again a little strange....very very quite at night which was lovley...
....as usual all Sol staff a credit to the company..from reception...cleaning staff to the gardeners..
Now my grumbles....hence my title!
MAS gold member...supposed to get....
Room choice.....did not get
Daily water...did not get...
The joint restaurant was so noisey and chaotic! no cutlery on the tables, you had to get your own
..not good for 4* hotel!
Luckily we could use the Don Pablo restaurant.....alot bigger but sooo much more organised..with lovley views of the gardens...
Happy hour in all hotels a great idea!! and the weather was lovley!
I still think this hotel complex has it all....and we will be back!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sol Don Marco? Share your experiences!