“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 74 hotels in Torremolinos
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We have just returned from a 7 day stay at the Don Marco. We had a lovely room on the top floor, as requested, large bathroom with bath and separate shower cubical. There was a large terrace with 2 sunbeds, a table and 4 chairs which caught the sun every afternoon, it was kept clean by a very attentive chambermaid. The hotel is very well furnished and kept scrupulously clean by the staff. The gardens and pool area are kept to the same standard. One gripe about the outside, there is black mold around the edge of the round swimming pool which could be removed quite easily, but no one bothered. The staff at reception were very polite and helpful. The bar staff were ok but we did not use the bar as the drinks were in my opinion too expensive, 5 euros for a pint of tap beer and over 6 for a vodka and tonic. The house wine was good value and very palatable at 9 euros. My main complaint was the food and the dinning area, the breakfast food was ok with a good selection of fruit, cold meats etc the bacon was always streaky and left in a tray full of oil, the poached eggs were left in a bowel of hot water so they were always hard. There are not enough tea and coffee making facilities, the rotary toasters took three attempts before the toast was brown which meant queues and people pushing and shoving, the place resembled a zoo at peak times. There never seemed to be enough staff on hand to tidy up and clear the tables on most shifts I counted four, if you consider the restaurant for the Don Marco also serves guests from the adjoining hotel the Don Pedro it is totally inadequate in size. As for the dinner don't even bother, the salad bar was lacking in choice, the meats and fish for the main course were precooked and left in a tray to dry out or covered in a sauce and left to simmer . There was little choice of vegetables, the jacket potatoes were left under a lamp and were cold, the desserts looked like the sort of fair you would put on for a children's party jelly, blancmange and the odd gateaux, by the time they had been pushed and prodded around by previous dinners totally unappetizing. My last point on the dinning area, at previous hotels we have stayed at there was a hand sanitizer at the entrance, considering this is a buffet eating area with people using the same serving spoons and tongs it might be an idea to install one thus cutting down the chance of infection. All three of the Don hotels are nice and in a good position right on the beach and 15 minutes from the airport, in my opinion the only thing that lets them down is the food and dinning area, the hotels are 4 star the dinning experience is definitely not. A bit of investment some chefs and smiley waiting staff could make this hotel one of the best. I would use the hotel again but on a room only basis.

391 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Nice hotel but was spoilt by loud music in the afternoon around the pool. It was very surprising the volume. Not sure that I want to lie in the sun and my ears be blasted out! Left the hotel the afternoons that they had the music on.
Sunbeds and umbrellas all past their sell by date. Most uncomfortable. Sunbed blocking in the morning a real problem. All beds booked and not a person on any of them.
Food was luke warm and very repetative. On two occasions I picked up the show cooked chicken pieces. They looked cooked on the outside but were complete raw and still bloody on the inside. This is not acceptable.
Gave this review 3 stars as the hotel is clean and generally well run. Bedrooms adequate and bathroom clean.
Happy hour was the only time that we drank in the hotel as it was too expensive.
Some of the entertainment at night was Ok.
Found the reception staff to be very helpful but not very smiley! Think that this is their way.
Would return again but might choose B&B only.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

We have just stayed at this hotel for a week. The actual hotel is of a good standard. Staff on reception very polite and helpful, so could not fault them. Rooms were cleaned daily and housekeeping therefore of a good standard. Free wifi in reception which had good connection and speed for a Spanish hotel. This hotel I believe is the smaller of the three hotels within the complex and therefore in the quieter area. We asked for a high room which we were given as requested.
Dining / meal times: be warned, the hotel provides tongs to use for food however I must say I found myself on tong patrol and found myself asking people to use the tongs, some just looked at you blankly, others did pick the tongs up and then use. When queuing for your food, you would find people couldn't possible wait, they would have to push past you to get to what they wanted to eat! No manners seemed to be a general problem! There is the same problem at breakfast where you que for hot drinks / juice, again people cannot wait or have the manners to do so. In other hotels you are served hot coffee / water with jugs at your table, this would solve the problem here. I would also like to be taken to my table for my evening meal, as other hotels do however as this is such a large complex I don't think it would be possible.
There is generally a large selection of foods at both breakfast and evening meal so should think there is something to suit most tastes.
There is a nice terrace area where you can eat your meals, however you would find smokers diving out for a smoke and if your were in the area they were smoking they would crowd you - not a pleasurable dining experience!
Although the dress code clearly states long trousers and shirts with sleeves for men on numerous occasions men in shirts and sleeveless shirts - I personally feel the staff should have addressed this and have seen this addressed by staff in other hotels not to far away!
I have to say the staff that waited on you in the dining area worked extremely hard and were also polite and friendly.
For me personally the dining experience became a bit of a negative battle each morning and evening which would put me off returning to this hotel purely for this reason, it was a bit like feeding time for animals at the zoo!
There is a fridge in your room and you can hire a safe for a small daily charge, the safe is of a good size and you can easily fit in iPads etc.
There are plenty of pools to chose from and plenty of sun loungers of you like to sunbathe, however people do reserve them early morning with their towels.
There is nightly entertainment, not our thing however I'm sure it will suit others.
We have been coming to Spain for many years now and I actually feel the town of Torremolinos is now run down as you are on the beach front here you can keep away this area, I am unsure what is like at night.
For the price we paid for the hotel it was a good deal, as stated above I wouldn't rush back due to the meal times which is a shame due to the standard of the hotel, most comments I made do not reflect the actual hotel more the standards of the other guests that were staying there when we did!

• Stayed October 2013
Manchester, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Just back from the Don Marco...having stayed in all 3 of the hotels on the complex..this is certainly the best one.....modern hotel with good size rooms..... although the wardrobe was very very small and in a perculiar place.... right next to the bed...and god help you if your not so tall you would struggle......I am 5'5"....and I did! And no bedside drawers..again a little strange....very very quite at night which was lovley...
....as usual all Sol staff a credit to the company..from reception...cleaning staff to the gardeners..
Now my grumbles....hence my title!
MAS gold member...supposed to get....
Room choice.....did not get
Daily water...did not get...
The joint restaurant was so noisey and chaotic! no cutlery on the tables, you had to get your own
..not good for 4* hotel!
Luckily we could use the Don Pablo restaurant.....alot bigger but sooo much more organised..with lovley views of the gardens...
Happy hour in all hotels a great idea!! and the weather was lovley!
I still think this hotel complex has it all....and we will be back!!

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

After a 10 min taxis transfer from Malaga we arrived on 29/09/13 for our 4th visit, a 6 night half board stay at this fab hotel. We were swiftly checked into room 5002 by the lovely Maribel who was great - pleasant, helpful, efficient, friendly - just what we needed. We had a lovely sea view room on top floor which had a good sized bathroom (with a great shower & separate bath) & fab private sun terrace which had table, chairs, sun loungers & parasol. Top location, views were just perfect.

Every area of this hotel was spotless. Our room was kept each day like we had just arrived. Standards are very high & that's just what we have come to expect & love. Pool areas are no exception to this. Noticeably we have met the same staff year after year - happy in their work & this shows. Since our 1st visit the same manager (Jamie Floyer) has been in charge & although I haven't spoke with him, have often seen him around the hotel.

We ate in the large restaurant for our whole stay & thought the food excellent. It's very well organised (& extremely busy). Spacious & light with a great atmosphere. Staff couldn't be more helpful & practically running to ensure you have all you need.

Breakfast was a treat. Large selection of teas, coffee, juices, fruits, yogurt, breads, cakes, cereal, hams, cheeses, bacon, sausages, eggs boiled/scrambled/fried/poached/omelettes many choices available to order. On & on the choices were endless.

Night time was a delight. Brilliant variety every night with choices of soups, salads, meats, fish, pasta, pizza, veg, potatoes, paella, roast of the day every day (either turkey, roast beef, pork, whole salmon etc), fruits, cheeses, desserts, ice creams, WOW. Every night we were so impressed. Drink prices very reasonable. Staff 1st class.

Don Marco reception area is a lovely, relaxing, tranquil area, where we enjoyed the bar happy hour before dinner & made good use of free wifi!

We love the sea front location of this hotel. 5-10 minute walk up the lovely shop lined cobbled steps in to the main town area or a 5-10 minute walk along the promenade sea front towards Balenamadena Marina which is lined with shops, bars, cafe, restaurants.

Perhaps if we had really looked for problems, we may have found something but we didn't go on hols for that, we went to enjoy this lovely hotel, soak up some sun & have a well earned break. All in all we love this hotel, would have no hesitation in recommending it to friends & will definitely be returning. Keep up the good work & thank you again for giving us a fabulous holiday.

Room Tip: Top floor for terrace & views.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Carmagh,
Thanks for continuing to choose the Don Marco for your holidays. I am so happy that you keep finding the experience that you want and need.
I will pass on your kind comments to the receptionist. Next time you are here please come and talk to me. I always like to hear our guests' opinions (even bad ones!) and enjoy getting to know our loyal customers.
I look forward to your next visit.
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Nice hotel, loads of pools to choose from, nice gardens, nice restaurant, good service, actually a very nice hotel all round.
Shame we got a smoking room though only for one night it was ok.
Food both breakfast and dinner was well worth paying for.

Not to far to walk a 5/10 minutes down the road to a few bars or restaurants and the beach to paddle or sun bath.

Didn't take too much to the entertainment but it didn't bother you as the hotel is that big you can be as close or as far to it as you want.

Not a fan on torremolinos to be honest and glad it was only a one night stop. Would not have bothered going into town if was staying there for a week, rather stay down by the hotel and the beach, as much nicer.

Dear RobertScott14,
Thank you for reviewing the Don Marco despite only staying for one night.
I am sorry that you got a smoking room - we still have 20% of the rooms available for smokers although, in general they so not tend to smell. I apologise that you were affected. Note that we are usually able to change guests to a room better suited to their needs but for one night I understand that it may not have seemed worth your while.
I am glad that you liked the hotel in general and appreciate you letting others know. You point out one of the advantages that we are able to offer at the Sol Don Hotels complex which is that guests are able to join in with the fun and games or nor - as they prefer. If they would rather a quiet time, the entertainment is in a different area of the complex and can be ignored.
Thanks again for you review.
Derry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

The Sol Don Marco offers great choices; choice of pools, restaurants, entertainments. Our room overlooked a lovely quiet pool/jaccuzzi area, where we spent most days. We found the lift to city center.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Dear Turb0gran,
Thank you so much for your review. I am really happy that we were able to offer you such a satisfactory stay and I hope that we see you again in the future.
I note that you only give us 3 stars for sleep quality and would like to point out that, if you find the firm mattress too hard, we have a softer option that we can substitute it with.
Thanks again.
Jaime Floyer.

Been to Sol Don Marco? Share your experiences!