“Good location down the beach away from town” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 73 hotels in Torremolinos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Good location down the beach away from town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Nice hotel, loads of pools to choose from, nice gardens, nice restaurant, good service, actually a very nice hotel all round.
Shame we got a smoking room though only for one night it was ok.
Food both breakfast and dinner was well worth paying for.

Not to far to walk a 5/10 minutes down the road to a few bars or restaurants and the beach to paddle or sun bath.

Didn't take too much to the entertainment but it didn't bother you as the hotel is that big you can be as close or as far to it as you want.

Not a fan on torremolinos to be honest and glad it was only a one night stop. Would not have bothered going into town if was staying there for a week, rather stay down by the hotel and the beach, as much nicer.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear RobertScott14,
Thank you for reviewing the Don Marco despite only staying for one night.
I am sorry that you got a smoking room - we still have 20% of the rooms available for smokers although, in general they so not tend to smell. I apologise that you were affected. Note that we are usually able to change guests to a room better suited to their needs but for one night I understand that it may not have seemed worth your while.
I am glad that you liked the hotel in general and appreciate you letting others know. You point out one of the advantages that we are able to offer at the Sol Don Hotels complex which is that guests are able to join in with the fun and games or nor - as they prefer. If they would rather a quiet time, the entertainment is in a different area of the complex and can be ignored.
Thanks again for you review.

444 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Derry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

The Sol Don Marco offers great choices; choice of pools, restaurants, entertainments. Our room overlooked a lovely quiet pool/jaccuzzi area, where we spent most days. We found the lift to city center.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Dear Turb0gran,
Thank you so much for your review. I am really happy that we were able to offer you such a satisfactory stay and I hope that we see you again in the future.
I note that you only give us 3 stars for sleep quality and would like to point out that, if you find the firm mattress too hard, we have a softer option that we can substitute it with.
Yeovil, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Had a five night break at sol don Marco 29th September. Sea view room was clean , small balcony, with great sea view. We were on half board basis, food was ok. Plenty of sunbeds, around pools or on sun terraces. Entertainment team put on very good shows every night.A good hotel for a short break.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear 605chris,
Thank you for your review. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope that we see you for another short break in the future.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed at the marco for 3 nights at the start of August. Was a nice big hotel with clean rooms. We had a part sea view pool view room . Plenty of sun loungers at all the pools in the 3 complexes. Can use all facilities in each hotel. Very central location. Across road from beach shops and bars restaurants are just outside hotel and a 10min walk to center of torremolinos.
We stayed half board and food was ok always something to eat. Very busy restaurant but could always find a clean table. Don't forget to take your slip down to restaurant with you the staff at doors can be a bit rude if you forget and once not letting us in without it! That was our only negative thing about hotel. Tall dark haired man at reception is very kind and helpful. Forgot his name

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room or pool view room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Steadyon123,
I am really sorry to hear about your treatment in the restaurant. It is true taht we require guests to provide their dining card as we have three hotels and different dining privileges in each. However all our staff are meant to show a little common sense and sensitivity and one would normally simply ask the guests to ensure that they provided the dining card at the next meal.
I am glad to see that this didn't spoil your holiday and that you made the most of the facilities in the Sol Don Hotels complex and our great location.
Thank you for letting us know about your stay. All information is useful to us as it helps is to keep improving.
I hope that we see you back one day.
Delson, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

This is a clean and quiet hotel. Most of the people are retired. The location is great. Get a full sea view room , it is worth the extra money.
The food is average ,but there are plenty of restaurants near by.
Take a few excursions while there. We did Granada with the Alhambra , Ronda and Marbella. Shopping, go to San Miguel st .in Torremolinos and
you will find something. Leather goods are good buys.

Oh do not forget to eat Tapas and Paella, the local food.

Room Tip: Sea view if possible.
Dear Bernie D,
Thanks for taking the time to review the Don Marco. I am so glad that you had a good trip. I am delighted to see that you got out and explored some of the wonders of historical Andalucía.
merseyside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at all the hotels in this complex,but I must say I prefer the marco out of them all,we stayed in room 2009 and would stay there again no problem,the room was very comfortably decorated bathroom was lovely bath with shower over and in the corner a separate shower cubicle,bathroom was spotless as was also the room,on arrival we were given another room which had no view at all so I spoke to the really helpful man on reception and he gave us 2009, the pool area is also very clean but is very quiet aswell,more going on around the other pool areas but found the round pool to be a bit dirty around the edges think it could do with a re tile!!!!,the position of the hotel is really good as you walk out and the beach is right facing you,and all the little cafes an shops are just outside aswell,the food is lovely my only problem is the lettuce it is a bit bland,but it's my personal preference I like a mixture of colourful lettuce with some rocket mixed in,I don't eat full English but my husband is always disappointed with the sausage but again this is a personal preference, these are minor things to fault this hotel,another good thing is its about 7 to 10 min from the airport 20 euro in a cab after a 2 hour 45 min flight what more can you ask for !!!!!!.

• Stayed September 2013
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear happyholsmerseyside,
Thank you for your review. I am so glad that you keep coming back to the Sol Dons and that you enjoyed the Marco so much this time. It is possibly the best hotel for couples as it is quieter than the Pedro and Pablo whilst still having access to all the same activities and facilities.
I have noted your comments. We plan to do significant work to the complex of round pools this winter. I hope that you will be back to let us know what you think!
Rotherham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Just returned from a week staying in the Don Marco (2nd Floor) overlooking the pool area. This is my second time to the Don Marco and nothing has changed, I would most definatly recommend this hotel to anyone and will certainly be returning hopefully sooner rather than later.

Rooms
The particular room i was in was overlooking the pool area and was of excellent size, the bathroom was rather large and included a shower and bath both seperate which was nice as hotels I have previously stayed in usually have a shower over the bath. The balcony was of an average size and the evening entertainment can be heard from the balcony. I would ask to be overlooking the pool and i would ask if possible to be on the 2 floor or higher on my next return.

Staff
We were greeted by a very friendly member of staff who sorted us with our room. The staff at reception are brilliant and more than happy to help with any query.
The cleaners do a great job and our room was cleaned everyday to a very high standard and all towels were changed daily.
The entertainment staff Johnny, Poli, Maria, Marco Danny and the rest of the team were excellent, the daytime activties were well planned out although it would have been nice for them to come across to the Don Marco pool area and invite people to join. The evening entertaint was fab and we always returned on an evening for the show.
The waiters were always quick to remove any finished plates and culltery although they did have a few minor breakages they were cleaned up almost as soon as they happened.
Security was always present and made the whole complex feel very safe and always spoke when leaving and returning to the complex.
Although I never used the spa, I did pop in and the staff again were very helpful and friendly.

The food is in a buffet sytle and always had an excellent variety of food - I was particulary impressed with the Italaian section on an evening. The breakfast buffet was again an excellent variety of food, although the sausage was not to my taste but everybody is different.
You can dine in the sister hotel although I personally never did so I can not comment on the food but if it was the same as the Don Marco it will have been impressive.

Pool area
There is a range of pools in the hotel complex and guests can use them all. All pool areas are kept clean and tidy, there is no need to get up ealy for a sunbed as if you came down at 2o'clock you would be able to get a sun bed. I suppose in the school holidays this would be a little bit different. Pool towels can be hired from the little pool shack located in the Sol Don Pedro pool area.

Area
The Don Marco is located on the beach front and within a 10 minute walking distance to the centre of Torrismolinos. There is a variety of shops and bars on the doorstep of the hotel and just a short walk from the hotel a little arcade area with mini golf facilities and for a mear 5 euros each it was well worth it.
Benalmadena is within a 20 minute walking distance from the Don Marco and is a lovely walk along the sea front although we walked there and got a taxi back to the hotel which cost 10 euros. The aiprot is within a 20 minute drive and if you did not have transport booked then a taxi would set you back 15 euros which is worth it as booking through a tour operator we had to wait over an 1 hour for our airport transfer.

Overall
I will certainly be returning to the don marco hotel and would recommend it to anybody. The hotel complex is in a fantastic location with very friendly staff and with excellent cleanliness throughout the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms over the pool are excellent,
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear xB1x,
Thank you for your really in-depth review. I am so glad that you like the hotel so much and I really hope that we see you again in the future.
A small comment regarding the entertainment: The Don Marco is the quieter of the three hotels in the complex so the entertainment crew deliberately don't invade the space. There is full information in the lobby about all the activities but Marco guests can easily opt out if they don't want to participate.
Jasime Floyer.

Been to Sol Don Marco? Share your experiences!