“Very clean, not ideal if you have babies” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 74 hotels in Torremolinos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Great Dunmow, United Kingdom
“Very clean, not ideal if you have babies”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed at this Hotel for 10 nights with my 2 children, 2 babies and my father.

I found the Hotel very clean and tidy. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. There was a daily maid service, these ladies work very hard and always had smiles on their face and hummed whilst cleaning :)

My children enjoyed the kids club and evenings activities, lots of which was spoken in Spanish.

If you get to see the eagle show, be prepared to pay 15€ to have a photo taken, this isn't advertised anywhere and you only find out when you get to the front of a very long queue! The man taking the money is also extremely rude!!

We stayed half board and were able to eat in this hotel one of the others in the complex. I will say the food in the other Hotel was nicer - not that I liked much of what was on offer. Self catering would have been better for us.

Downsides if travelling with babies... There are no baby changing facilities around the Hotel, many toilets but not changing tables. Didn't think it was right to do it on a sunbed so had to keep going back to our room.

The nearest pool to us had a bar but wasn't actually open/used. Would have been nice to have that. The pools were salt water. Not always pleasant.

Be prepared to pay silly money for drinks, 2.45 for a small glass of Coca Cola

Los of steps to access other pools, nightmare with 2 buggies

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear S4rz,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Sol Don Marco. I am glad that you enjoyed your holiday, although I note that you have some comments regarding the restaurants and children.
I'm sorry that you did not enjoy the food on offer. In general we have good feed-back regarding the buffets but I do understand that, although we have a lot of variety, it is not possible to cater for all tastes. Sometimes it is most difficult to please the children. We have an italian corner in each of the restaurants with pizzas and pastas, which usually goes down well with kids.
With regards to children in the Don Marco, we have three hotels in the complex of which the Don Pedro and Don Pablo are recommended for children, whilst the Don Marco is suited more to couples and adults. We do not have a pool bar at the pools closest to the Marco in order to help to maintain a quiet atmosphere so that guests without children can relax. It is also for this reason that we do not offer discounts for children in the Don Marco. I think that on a future visit you would be much more comfortable in either Pablo or Pedro. I hope that you come again.
I am glad that in general you liked the hotel and thank you again for the time taken in writing to Trip Advisor.
jaime Floyer.

433 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Just back from a last minute 4 night break at this hotel. Emailed hotel direct before arrival to ask for a late dinner and high floor room. Both of which they said they would do their best to accomodate. We did get dinner on arrival and a room on the 3rd floor which was adequate. For me the meals in the hotel were slightly disappointing for a 4star hotel and considering the reviews (we stayed half board). Entertainment team were excellent and we enjoyed everything they put on. Perfect location, just a stroll across the road to the beach. Lots of pools to lie at including an adult only one which unfortunately had children in it every day we were there. I have grown up children but sometimes it is nice on holiday to have a child free zone.
For reference please note that on our last day lying at the pool my hat went missing when we were away for lunch and the couple next to us had a book taken! Seemed strange but I thought hotel should know they had someone taking things. I was disappointed that they really didn't seem interested or bothered. I would definately return to this hotel on a bed and breakfast deal and perhaps stay in the Don Pablo.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear mrsscottie,
Thanks for taking the time to review the Sol Don Marco. I am glad that in general you really liked the hotel. I do take note of your comments however.
I am sorry to hear about your hat. It had not heard about the incident and it seems rather upsetting. As you will have been aware, we take great care with security and are very keen that our guests should feel secure in the grounds of the complex.
I apologise if you were not happy with the restaurant. As you mention, we tend to get positive reviews about the food both online and through our internal quality controls and I would love to know if there was something in particular that we could improve on.
The adult-only pool should be policed by the life guard and this obviously has not been happening. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention and will take care to enforce this in future.
I do hope that we see you back in the Sol Don Hotels complex in the future.
CANADA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Again, we are just back from a two week stay in Sol Don Marco. This year the weather was very good and the shows are excellent, thanks to the entertainment team (I will not mention any names because they are allllllllll verry good). We have been going to this hotel for the last 10 years in the summer and the winter, and thanks to the Management and the employees the standard of this hotel keeps going up and should be 5 star hotel. I feel confortable when I see the same people working year after year specially Sr. Jaime Floyer who makes you feel like a family member. That is why I like this hotel and will keep going to it summer and winter.
The reception: Fast and efficient, they will give you the best available room but if you need a special room you just have to ask for it, (We requested a room .....and for our luck it was ready and available, Thanks ........).
The room was cleaned every day on the time we requested to be cleaned (don,t forget to tip).
The show: big improvement, mamamia, lion king, and the best flamingo dacing show on Fridays.
We have many choices of pools, but we love the beach in the summer.
Restaurants: in the summer we eat in Don Marco and in the winter we eat in Don Pablo, both are excellent and we always find what we like, but don't miss the friday buffet, you will know it,s the special day when they give the ladies a flower and a special drink when enterring the restaurant.
I noticed this time the good choices of cheeses, and the good hot bread. The fried fish, the calamary, was exceptionally good. The freshly cooked chicken in front of you was so tender and tasty. The only complaint I have is the beef it was tough. Pork, Veal, Lamb and Rabbit was good.
The desert and the fruits were plenty and good. You have to try their wine, some good and some bad, The best wine we loved was the "Marquis de Caseres, Rioja" the red and the rose.
This hotel is in the best location close to all activities, San Miguel, Carhuela, the bus the train......
We don't take anymore excursions but we go ourselves by train to any place we want and it is easy, just ask the smart people at the reception, they will explain to you exacly how to get there.
You should go out and see the cities around you. first start by going to Malaga by train and spend the day, another day go to Mijas by bus, go to Fuegirola (the market is on Tuesday) by train or bus. and Marbella by bus. You can also take a tour to Gibralta, Granada, we enjoyed all this time and time.
Thanks again to all the people working in Sol Don Hotels for the wonderful time we had and we hope to see you all in the winter 2014.
I am sure you will all enjoy a stay at this hotel like us.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice and you have many choices depends on you preference, Just ask for a good room and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thanks for your really complete review bolbol. It so great to see people going out and really enjoying the hotels and the area. There is so much to see here in Andalucía and I think that everything is so accessible that anyone can get around on their own. There are some great excursions too: everyone should go to Granada and Córdoba and I wouldn't recommend Tangier without a guided tour!
I really look forward to seeing you again soon.
Jaime Floyer.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband & I stayed at the Don Marco for 1 week from 25th July to 1st August. When we arrived we were amazed by the entrance to the hotel & the beautiful lobby at the hotel reception, which was great first impressions. We were greeted by a very friendly member of staff who sorted us with our room. The staff at reception are brilliant and were willing to help with any query we had. We had a sea view room which was perfect overlooking the sea well worth paying extra for. The rooms were beautiful and were a perfect size as well as the en-suite. Our room was cleaned everyday to an extremely high standard and all towels were changed every day. The breakfast buffet was impressive. Plenty of choice and it was all delicious. But don't leave it to late for breakfast as it got very busy around 10 o'clock and people had to wait until a table became available. There is 9 pools at the complex and plenty of sun beds so it was always easy to get a bed at any time of the day. The hotel is located in front of the beach, a few steps away and a short walk to the main shopping streets via the lift (which only costs 50 cent each) which is perfect! I will definitely without a doubt be returning to this outstanding hotel in the future!

Dear Davinastuart09,
Thanks for your review. I really look forward to your next visit. It is true that in July and August most guests tend to come down to breakfast towards the end of the service and we can have a hold-up at the door whilst we assign tables. The wait is never too long though.
Come again soon!
jaime Floyer.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Once again stayed at the Don Marco complex. We go at least twice a year for a few nights R&R as we holiday in a very quiet village and it is nice to go there for a treat.
Had a lovely room overlooking the pool area and when we go in winter are given an upgrade without a request.
Food is excellent with plenty of choice and you can also eat in the sister hotel Don Pablo which has a lovely open conservatory and has a different buffet menu.
This complex is in an excellent position near beach and also a short distance from the main shopping area. There is a very handy lift to take you up to street level to shops.
Staff are extremely friendly and efficient and a special mention of Manager Jaime Floyer who welcomes you like an old friend and that is why so many like ourselves choose to go back to the Don Marco .

Room Tip: Usually request a room on higher floor as like to overlook pool areas and listen to cabaret.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks GlasgowCatLovers,
Come back soon.
Best regards,
jaime Floyer-
Redditch
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Don Marco for 9 nights from 24th July to 2nd August and enjoyed an excellent holiday. I was a little apprehensive due to this not being our usual type of holiday (we tend to go for the quiet less touristy kind of holidays). However it was fine, no problems at all anywhere and the beaches (15 mts from the hotel) are very well maintained with excellent facilities. The hotel was spotlessly clean throughout and our room was a good size with a fabulous shower, the television had a few English channels (BBC, Channel 4 & others). Each room has its own air conditioning unit which does not turn off when you take the key out so you have full control and with temperatures of up to 40 degrees it was a godsend. The restaurants offered a wide variety of choice and we always found something lovely to eat.This hotel is one of three in the complex and you can use all of the facilities and any of the 9 pools. These pools are salt water pools and were very clean. We always got a sunbed even though some sad people were putting towels out at 7 o'clock for example one family put towels on 8 or 9 beds every morning right next to the pool and would arrive late morning for an hour and disappear till 6 o'clock. My only gripe (probably an English thing) is the lack of tea/coffee making facilities in the room and that we asked for a sea front room and did not get one. My daughter was chatted up by three of the waiters all old enough to be her father LOL! Hilarious! We didn't make use of the entertainment but we could hear it and it sounded good, it tended to start at 10 pm every night, we feel it didn't need to be as loud as it was and maybe could be lowered a decibel or three. The staff and entertainment team members were all very friendly and enthusiastic. WiFi charges are ridiculous but plenty of the cafes and bars had free WiFi. I would recommend this hotel and this area of Torremolinos and will definitely return to the area, another bonus was the journey from Malaga airport took only 10 minutes.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room (for the views) and as far from the entertainment stage as possible.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear nannyloulou,
Thank you for your comprehensive review of your recent stay. I am so glad that you had a great holiday despite being a little apprehensive at the outset! The Sol Don Hotels complex is very big but I think that the success is largely due to there being 3 separate hotels on the grounds and lots of room within the complex for our guests to spread out and not be on top of eachother.
Please just let me make a small clarification; there is free WiFi in the bar and lobby areas of all three hotels in the complex. If guests wish to upgrade to be able to use the WiFi in the rooms then there is a charge.
Thanks again for your review and please come again.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Good hotel with a good location close to the beach. There are 3 hotels in the complex to share facilities. Good evening entertainment and food, which was buffet style with plenty of choice. Plenty of sunbeds around the many pools and easy to get one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sol Don Marco? Share your experiences!