“Terribly Noisy, Bad Security” 2 of 5 stars

You added Pension Castilla to your Saves list
Pension Castilla
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   C/ Manila, 3, 29620 Torremolinos, Spain   |
Perth, Western Australia
“Terribly Noisy, Bad Security”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2008

The rooms at Hostal Castilla are very tiny but they are ok, the usual kind of accomodation you expect in a hostal, nothing flash just functional. Our showers were nice and hot. The location is really excellent, right in between Plaza Mayor and Pueto Del Sol, and they had free wifi in the room, which was great.

HOWEVER.... this would have to be the nosiest place I have EVER stayed. We were there for several nights and had a room near reception and right up until about 4am every night you could hear the doorbell continually buzzing (loudly) for guests to be let in, cleaning going on, sheets being dragged inside by the staff from where they were hung right outside out windows at MIDNIGHT, people talking, banging, singing...all sorts. No-one cared about being quiet even after midnight, 2am, 3am etc and I’m not just talking about the guests. The floors are lino and the walls thin so every sound carries - it sounded like a zoo in there.

Also, we were not overly happy about the security. They ask you to leave your room key hanging up on shelf when you go out of the hostal. Your room numbers are clearly displayed above the keys and they are in reception, not even behind the desk, with full access to anyone who walks in. I refused to leave mine there and one of the ladies got very mad and I just walked out with it and ignored her. I explained several times that I wasn’t going to leave my key in full view and easy access to anyone and she showed me the security cameras which cover the reception and other rooms in the hostal, which supposedly someone is always watching. Well, they are not - we were in reception and the next to the office where the cameras are watched several times and there was no-one around so there was no way I was leaving my key out. It would be far too easy for someone to walk in, grab the key and be in one of the rooms within about 30 seconds. There is no security key required to get into the building during the day and the only requirement to get in at night is to buzz in and they open the door to whoever buzzes. So if you stay there, I would take your key with you. I wasnt too happy with a couple of the staff. Also beware that every time you open your room safe (even if its 5 minutes after you closed it) you need to pay another euro. One euro to open, one to close. Hmm.

The double beds also have one long shared pillow...whats with that??!

• Liked — Location and Wifi in room
  • Disliked — Noise, noise & noise. Poor Security. Couple of rude staff.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Tallinn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2008

I stayed there with my wife for 4 nights. Room price was low and staff was ok. But the hotel description was quite misguiding.

First I doubt anything in Hostal Castilla was "recently refurbished", unless 20-30 years is recent past. Second, I had a totally different understanding of clean, well equipped and comfortable rooms. The incredibly small room was equipped with 2 lamps both having a broken bulb, a bed, a small TV, a noisy fan and a cupboard.

Now the shared bathroom. The floor was wet and muddy. It was probably caused by the fact that most folks did not dare to close the shower door - it had a tendency to lock itself and You could not unlock it from inside. At least someone seemed to enjoy this bathroom - the worms.

Don't expect much from the continental breakfast - its muffins. You know - the ones You can buy from local supermarket 1eur=1kg.

And despite all these features above we liked our holidays in Torremolinos and hope to return soon - most likely in a different hotel.

Stayed August 2006
Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2006

The best thing: The hostal had internet access and free coffee and tea anytime of day. Of course, they had intermittent hot water in the showers, beds that felt like Chuck E. Cheese ball pits, filthy floors and drunken yelling at 5 am, but its a trade-off.

• Liked — Free coffee
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — Only stay here if you plan on spending your entire time drunk. that way none of the other stuff will bother you.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2006

I am at the moment staying in the hostal and have found it incredibly non-friendly. I was told yesterday by a member of staff that i was not allowed to take coffee cups to my room due to theft, which i thoroughly respect. So i went and bought my own cup and when I took my mug of coffee upstairs today I was told by another member of staff, that I was not allowed any drinkds. This didn,t upset me to much, the problem was that I was almost in the toilet at the time and was confronted then and there. When asked where the sign was to inform me of this i got a curt reply of "I don´t understand", and this carried on while I asked who the owner was and how I could contact them as I felt I was beign dealt with in a very unfriendly way. So not friendly, not very helpful and as for the "recently refurbished" bit.... I am yet to see it with my own eyes!

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Pension Castilla? Share your experiences!