“Pleasantly surprised By Spain.” 5 of 5 stars

Join us & get 500 Points
Ranked #10 of 73 Hotels in Torremolinos
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lurgan, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly surprised By Spain.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My friend and I booked 2 double standard rooms in this hotel for a week all inclusive with our 4 teenagers. My husband and I had never holidayed in Spain so I didn't know what to expect (having watched the TV series Benidorm!) I could not have been more pleased with our choice. The staff are incredibly helpful and knowledgable. The rooms were of an excellent standard of cleanliness and there was a separate lounge area with an extra bed set up beside the sofa (which was also a double bed if needed). The food served in the restaurant is of high quality and there is a wide range of foods to suit every palate ( even our fussy teenagers!) Plenty of sun beds around the pool and a pool side bar with an area where you can help yourself to tea/coffee, cold drinks and beers. My only down side would be that the pool is quite small so in high season it might be crowded. Other than that, I cannot fault this hotel at all and with a hairdressers and beauty salon on site (where Natalia gave me the most relaxing massage) this is definitely one hotel I will be returning to.

Room Tip: After reading trip advisor we requested rooms on the 4th floor between 401-421. These have an excell...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Polish first
Hamilton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Just had a one week stay and have to heap praises on this great hotel. We were greeted at reception with a glass of champagne (or cava) and it was all uphill from then . Our room was on the ground floor overlooking the seating area and self service bar (could be a problem if you are an early bedder ) ,Everything in the hotel was less than a minute away .Dining room is very strictly supervised and staff are under the watchful eye of a stern looking but very friendly manager (superfluous as the staff were friendly and funny ) Food was better than most hotels we have stayed in and choice was superb , there was a carvery every night with salmon , beef , pork , lamb etc. . Town centre was 20-30 minute walk but bus stop and taxi rank were right outside . Train station about 20 min s. everywhere was 4 Euros return and trains were regular spacious and had A/c .Town and shops were really good and tapas bars were very reasonable.
Try going by the stairs to town if you are fit shops and bars all the way to stop and ehm rest.

All in all this was great hotel with good food ,great staff and good location we are already looking to book again next year.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
northern ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a week at this hotel and have absolutely no complaints wotsever ..Food fantastic clean rooms, friendly staff and gr8 location... Wot more could u ask for :-D Hopefully going back next year .....

• Stayed June 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Just realised that I have not written a review of this fantastic Hotel we stayed in back in January. The food is the best we have enjoyed in any Hotel in Europe. The service is excellent, and the staff so helpful.
The Manager is always walking around talking to guests ensuring guests are happy and no complaints. I just wish other Hotels in Europe had the same attention to detail

Room Tip: Go for a room with living room, as it overlooks the pool and gets more sun
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This hotel has so much going for it.
Greeted at reception with the friendliest of staff, great rooms with plenty of space.

The best thing this hotel has is the staff. From the team in the bar (Mario, Partillo, Hose- Anotonio, Maria). What an amazing job they do. Loved them to bits, so professional, this would be my dream team!)

The food is fabulous with something for everyone (if you would like something made for you specially, just ask, nothing is too much trouble) and Havier will make you smile everyday.

The entertainment team are simply fantastic. If you have children then the mini disco will be the highlight of your day! Brian and Maria take time out day and night to get to know you and make you feel welcome. They will know you by name within a matter of days, so friendly. There is lots of fun for adults as well as the children with competitions and challenges day and night.

For the ladies, if you don't want to take part in the aqua-aerobics, get a cocktail by the pool and simply watch. Brian knows how to move his hips!!

Looking to go back next year!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Oswestry
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Have just returned after a week and had to double check the reviews to make sure this was the same hotel. Staff were ok but nothing special and the rooms are very dated. We had a family room and the bedroom was more like a cell. A window which you could only see out of if you stood up and the other room stank of cigarettes. No smoke alarm in there but one in bedroom. At check in we informed girl on desk that we requested a high floor via e mail as suggested in previous reviews but was told that hotel was full. We were in room 150 which is 1st floor so we decided it was not worth trying to move because the room literally stank and managed to ask a cleaner to spray the room which worked for perhaps an hour. The food was among the best we've had anywhere but the meal times were chaos with people going all ways and no sort of order. You are given a table for evening and keep that for your stay. Sun beds were pretty much gone by 9am and many were towelled up by 7am and having woke early for the toilet once looked out of the window and saw towels down at 3am !!! The pool is so small for the size of hotel it is a joke. There are so many kids and inflatables it is easier to just paddle in the kids pool because they are all in the other one. A previous review says about the list of rules which include not putting towels down, no inflatables in the pool and not using pool after 19:00. Just rip it up when they give it to you as nobody gives a damn about them. We heard the pool attendant blowing a whistle at 20:00 trying in vain to empty pool so he could clean it but of no use for another hour. A message to the management that if you present guests with a rule book at least appoint a manager with big enough kahunas to back it up. One last point if you like to hear footballs being constantly bounced and kicked against the ground floor balconies, which may be yours, while you try to relax on a sunbed, assuming you can get one, this is the place for you and if you are really lucky none of the balls will hit you while you're sunbathing. There is no way we would return here

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Madeira, Portugal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We booked this after staying in a RIU in Hammamet, Tunisia, we didn't even wanted a holiday in Malaga specifically just an all inclusive RIU, however we were very disappointed. They don't even use electronic key cards for the room but instead the ancient normal keys, even the hotel I've stayed in Gran Canaria in 2000 had electronic key cards. I don't know where the fellow reviewers had been eating but you don't need to be a Master Chef to realize there's just not enough variety of food and it's not properly cooked. It always lacked salt too. Staff were mostly friendly but the two guys at reception at night weren't very helpful when I needed a second key to my room and the bar staff were quite surly for my taste, but obviously they were in high stress but it's their work after all.
I ended up leaving this hotel with an odd feeling because what I saw was obesity seekers (which already showed physically) but paying no attention to the quality of what they were eating, the motto would be if it's food it's ok. I was there for the open bar too but hated the atmosphere. The poor guy did his best but it was a depressing atmosphere after all. The pool area was particularly suffocating with lots of people when you consider the actual size of the place and the swimming pool is too small too with lots of children. I don't understand either how would you not go the beach instead, just in one minute walk, much more natural and healthier but watch out because it was very windy when I was there, I don't know if this is usual in Torremolinos but it seemed like.
Make sure you use the train, ask the reception staff for directions. It's 1.75 € or 2 €, depending on location, one way. I recommend you visit the picturesque villages of Fuengirola and Benalmadena and the main city, Malaga but instead on getting out on the last station in Malaga get out in Malaga, Maria Zambrona station, where you'll be at the center of the city and on a nice mall with a Massimo Dutti with great prices if you are in mood for shopping as I was.
The promenade is nice, I guess if you like walking in same place everyday you'll become a fan. I preferred to explore the places around by train.
I want to thanks ALICIA at the reception who was the most helpful, friendly and patient lady when I needed to print the boarding passes.
A big thanks for ELENA and some other(s) girl(s) for cleaning my room so perfectly.
The guests are the usual mixture of Spanish, German, British, French and Italians.
When booking I stated I wanted swimming pool / sea view rooms, however this was not attended not even mentioned though I was much happier with the rooms I got with a street view which were much more silent and private. You should know that if you are given a swimming pool view room you'll have a huge crowd sunbathing and children screaming view sometimes straight in front of your room's veranda. Be careful with that.
If you have stayed in a RIU hotel before you'll not be pampered as you're made used to in your previous stays at RIU hotels but I guess for first time RIU visitors you'll enjoy it.
I was told this hotel (Luca Costa Lago) was bought by RIU owners some time ago but I guess they made absolutely no improvements whatsoever and there are still some references about the previous hotel. The main RIU hotel is just in front of this one but you can't use their facilities, it's called RIU Belplaya. From the outside it seems much better.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Riu Costa Lago? Share your experiences!