“Real Friendly Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 73 Hotels in Torremolinos
newmilns
“Real Friendly Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We had a lovely time here from 9th-16th oct..although when I booked this hotel my partner was not in a wheelchair , was by the time we travelled ..They were so helpful ..we had a room on first floor near elevator and reception ..On the third day another room neater reception had became vacant with wider doors for wheelchair and they moved us in there....There is a good choice of food ..only thing a would say a bit over the top on the fish...There is a pool bar which is open between 10-30-6...and saloon bar 6-30-12.00...Entertainment I would say was aimed more at the older generation but there was a lovely large patio to sit out with your drinks ..was always busy and you could get a good chat with other holiday makers..Beach 2 min walk ..only 3 euros each for sun beds...The German Paddy Pub 1 min from hotel ..The owner of the bar was lovely and helpful ..pushed wheelchair for me down some of the dodgy slopes...There is a bus stop straight across from hotel into resort ..The hotel staff so friendly and helpful..There was a good choice of A/C drinks and cocktails ..Rooms kept very clean. If it was not for the fact my partner in a wheelchair I would return ...Only less than 10 mins from airport by taxi..if like myself once you are at airport you just want to get to your hotel soon as.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Polish first
Ely, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

we stayed at the riu costa largo at the end of sept and I feel that this is not a family based hotel there was 2a2c. the rooms was not bad but not up to a 4 star rating by far I have stopped in better 3 star hotels. the maid was in every day bar one day the rooms was a little small to our likeing as was a family room . the food was great got to say lots to pick at but there not a lot to do at the riu unless you want to sit by the pool with the rest of the oap this hotel is based with more over the ages of 60 to 80 years olds and not for family's with kids at dinner we got told that a old couple had been says that kids should not be in there as it was to loud for them.we would not go back to this hotel on the grounds on not a lots for young kids

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Swansea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

First Impressions on Arrival – Excellent customer service by the Receptionist ( we arrived 30mins before lunch was due to end and she suggested we leave our luggage in the luggage room and go have some lunch prior to checking in so as not to miss a meal ). Slight confusion and room mix ups upon checking in after lunch, but this was quickly resolved. Food at Lunch and Dinner was lovely – lots of choice to satisfy even the fussiest of people, and a great mixture of hot and cold food and plenty of drinks options.

Entertainment that evening was Karaoke – and safe to say that our group ( 19 ladies, range of ages celebrating a Friend’s hen Do ) certainly added to the hotel’s entertainment – our group sang several songs, along with interacting with the other guests by singing, dancing and even including a young girl who danced with us – all in all a lovely evening, with a lot of guests complimenting us on our chat, banter and general ‘aura’ – we certainly were not loud, drunk ‘ladettes’ .. Upon the evening drawing to a close, we were unceremoniously requested to finish our drinks OUTSIDE the hotel – I found this rather odd, considering we were guests in a hotel, and there was no ‘residents area’ to finish our drinks or evening – I work in the hotel industry myself, so was rather baffled by this as we allow our residents exclusive use of the bar area once we close to the public, along with offering them the use of the lounge and reception for their comfort and pleasure.

Being an all-inclusive hotel, and a large party, several of our party were designated ‘get the drinks in’ to save us all queuing at the bar – so we were getting approx 3 or 4 drinks at a time to carry back to the group – and this did not appear to be a problem for our 1st two evenings at the hotel, however, following on from the 1st evening, we were served drinks up until 11.55pm on the second evening and then, rather rudely, we were requested to leave the hotel at 12 midnight – upon this request, we complied and lifted our drinks and again headed OUTSIDE the hotel to finish our drinks on the steps/street outside the hotel

Things soured on the 3rd day, when attempting to get refreshments, we encountered despicable treatment. In front of the other guests, we had the barman ( who’s name I cannot recall at present ) waving his finger in our faces telling us ‘ ONLY ONE DRINK, NO MORE, YOU FINISH ONE DRINK, THEN COME BACK FOR ANOTHER – ONE DRINK AT A TIME’ – other guests were being served multiple drinks, while we were clearly being discriminated against. The older guests we had befriended on the previous two evenings were gobsmacked at our treatment and couldn’t understand what the problem was. We requested to speak with the manager and this was refused – due to sheer embarrassment, we left the hotel and sought a new place to provide our business with

It only gets worse on the 4th day – after going out for a walk, myself and the 2 girls I was sharing a room with, returned to our hotel room, to discover the door unlocked and beds overturned – first impressions, we had been burgled. Approx 20 minutes later, a knock on our door revealed a maintenance man with ZERO English and ZERO manners, who barged into the room ( I was wearing only a towel) and he proceeded to pull one of the beds out of the room, knocking me against the wall in the process – it appears one of the beds was damaged, which I presume was discovered by the hotel chambermaids, but at no point were we informed anyone would be entering our room to carry out any repairs, so the shock at the state of our room being turned upside down left yet another bleak mark against the hotel’s treatment of us.
On our 4th and final evening, we suffered the humiliation of being asked our ROOM NUMBERS in order to be served drinks – again, no other guests at the hotel were being asked this information and we also found our group being refused WATER!!

To say I was happy to be leaving this hotel was an understatement. A lot of time and money went into preparing our trip to Torremolinos and the Riu Costa Lago, and while we were made aware of another large group of Girls having problems with the way they behaved/were treated, we did not deserve to be branded the same as them. We were a group of professional ladies ( Nurses, Civil Servants, Sales Professional, Travel Journalist) we behaved with nothing but respect for other guests and the hotel staff, and we were not afforded the same courtesy in return.

The food was lovely on all occasions of eating, so cannot fault that, however the treatment received by approx 4 or 5 members of staff was far more memorable than the good customer service we received from 1 or 2 of the staff. The rooms were distinctly average, with noise levels being unacceptable when you can hear the room above you and their bowel movements – not pleasant at all.

I would not be able to bring myself to recommend this hotel, due to the fact I work in the hotel industry myself, and if I treated the guests at my place of employment the way I was treated, I would find myself out of a job and quite frankly I would be disappointed in myself – unfortunately the few good points about this hotel is not enough to save it in my opinion

Room Tip: If travelling as a Group - request rooms together to avoid being seperated from your friends/family
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We have just returned from a lovely week with my family including our 18 month old grand daughter. Our rooms were facing the road and got the sun all afternoon/evening. They were immaculate. They were cleaned spotlessly every day. The most important part of this hotel is the staff. They are wonderful. The hotel is a little from the town but the bus stop is outside and 1.22 euro gets you into the heart of Torremolinos, which I must say is a rather lovely place. I did have my reservations before we went but would go back tomorrow. Back to the hotel, the only negative thing that I would say is that we had a group of stags in whilst we were there and they were very noisy. This really isn't a hotel for same sex groups. The management need to monitor this. I've been on girly breaks and understand that certain hotels cater for these groups. It's a shame if the costa Lago gets a bad reputation because of the management failings. On a big plus side the weather was fantastic!!!

Room Tip: Room 349 and 355. Both have lounge areas
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Eldwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I read with horror the stories of stag and hen parties staying at this hotel. Having really enjoyed staying here last year and looking forward to staying again soon, I am not looking forward to having to share my holiday with raucous large groups demanding large amounts of booze from the poor barmen, I remember them being very polite, efficient and pleasant when we last stayed at this hotel, if you treat them with respect they will do the same to you. I suggest these people should choose a hotel that they would enjoy better, where they can mix with other people who like to drink themselves into oblivion whilst making a racket, oblivious to what a nuisance they are, there are plenty of other places in Torremolinos and Benalmadena that cater for typical English idiots abroad, they would be much happier there.

This hotel does a good job for a very reasonable price, the staff are unfailingly helpful and polite, the food is excellent and there is a nice mix of different nationalities, everywhere is kept spotlessly clean.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the management puts a stop to allowing large groups of hen and stag parties to stay, or they will lose other guests and the hotel will go downmarket.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

My wife and I have just retuned from two weeeks at the Costa Lago and would like to say that
the staff were all fantastic and so friendy, the rooms were cleaned to a very high standard every day, at all meals there was a wide choice to choose from and you should be able to find something to please no matter how fussy you are, we are looking forward to returng at Christmas for our second xmas at this hotel, would like to give a special mention to Miguel in the dinning room who was so organised and how he coped with seating arrangements is amazing
this hotel is in an idel location in a quiet area, aonly five minutes from the beach and handy for transport, only five minutes from the airport by taxi which avoids all the waiting for bus transfers and hotel stops, and a very nice touch is a glass of Cava on arrival at reception thanks to all staff at Costa Lago

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Spalding, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Returned from our second visit to the Costa Lago on the 10th October 2013. My wife and I visited last year and enjoyed it so much we decided to try it again. I did e-mail the hotel requesting the same room but didn't get a reply. However when we turned up they had the e-mail and although we couldn't have the same room they gave us a better located one, again overlooking the pool and quiet at night which was a nice touch. Since our last visit the hotel has been taken over by the RIU group. The only changes we noticed to the hotel itself were new towels, new logos, new furniture on the bar terrace and re-modelling of part of the bar interior. We recognised all the staff from last year and they remained as welcoming and helpful as we remembered. Food was very good with a reasonable choice at all meals and hot meals piping hot. A new hotel manager was in the restaurant for many meals (Raphael?)and I have to say what a pleasure it was to meet him. Made us feel very welcome, always talking to the guests and staff and definitely a great asset. Pity all hotel managers aren't like this.

My only negative is that there are 2 sittings for the evening meal and you have to decide which sitting you want when you arrive. You are also allocated a table which you can't change. I would prefer to have more flexibility in the time I eat and where I sit. At breakfast and lunch you go in when you want and sit where you want.

.We noticed that there were many more German and French guests this year I presume the hotel is marketed in these countries since RIU took over. This was reflected in the menus as fish and other more unusual meats were more obvious than last year but this suited me, having said that there was always something for the more reserved British taste.
As we went out of season the hotel had mainly older couples rather than families so I presume it wasn't full. We never had a problem getting sunbeds (all new since last year and very comfortable).Towels for use at the pool were handed out free at reception although if not returned they would be charged which seemed fair enough to me. Also never had to wait more than a minute or two for drinks despite the bar being very busy in the evenings and no limits on the number of drinks being provided. I found the quality of drinks fine but they will be locally produced and not premium brands. For those wanting a change there are numerous pubs and bars within a few minutes of easy walking.

Weather for early October was very warm. it was 29 degrees at 9pm on one night.

To sum up: we had a great time, the hotel has changed but probably for the better since RIU took over. Will we go back? if going to Torremolinos, yes,why not? Its got everything we want, the price is right and the staff are great.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Riu Hotel Luca Costa Lago? Share your experiences!