“Great value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I booked this holiday two weeks before departure, it was my first ever flight and package holiday. We arrived at the hotel and were greeted with a drink whilst we booked in. We had booked in knowing it was the "winter months" . We were pleasantly surprised, the hotel was very clean and the staff were very helpful and attentive. We had a family room which included a separate living area with a pull out sofa bed and a single bed. My husbands birthday was whilst we were away, I had not informed the staff, however on the day when we went to dinner there was a bottle of Cava on ice and a candle lit which was a nice touch. As we were in the winter season the snacks menu was limited, so the food was three meals a day, however, there was a lot of variety and it was not "recycled" food. I am also vegetarian and this was not an issue with the menu. I have read previous comments about smoking (I do not smoke) but I did not find this a problem. The entertainment was a little cheesy but as I say its the winter months and geared for the older generation. Its in a good location to go exploring and the staff are very helpful when you ask for guidance. Do go to San Migel street for shopping!!!!!!! its better than the markets. All in all, I loved my holiday, the sun was shining, the staff were more than pleasant and the only thing that would have made it a five star is to have tea and coffee making facilities in the room (although I am told this is a British thing). Would I go back? yes I would, without a shadow of a doubt.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Polish first
Torquay, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Would love to review this hotel but did not get the option as our booking made via the internet on the Riu site last May for a stay in February this year was cancelled by them one week prior to our arrival. We received an e-mail which stated our credit card had been declined and if when they re-presented it in three days time it was declined again our booking would be cancelled. I e-mailed reservations immediately, telephoned them on numerous occasions and also e-mailed the hotel direct three times and got no response. Only one person in reservations offered to contact the hotel who said my room had now been cancelled and re sold. I checked with my credit card company and they assured me no request for payment had been made by Riu. After days of been messed about I booked elsewhere and friends we were meeting at the hotel also cancelled their booking. We are Riu class members, have stayed at many Riu hotels and never received such atrocious service, to date we still have not received any apology. Interestingly we noted when we looked back on line that the hotel for our dates was fully booked, in fact in my opinion overbooked, hence our problem.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

10/02/2013 winter sun break.

There are smokers next to every single exterior door which is usually open so the smell is inside every corridor or lobby next to these doors. This could so easily be fixed by the hotel.

As has been stated by others the sun terrace is just full of smokers and it's such a sheltered, lovely, still, sun trap that the fumes go nowhere. A simple line down the middle with no smoking signs would solve this issue but I guess the hotel doesn't think it is an issue? If you don't like smoking please complain to reception or they will never know.

It's not quite as bad next to the pool because the pool is not as sheltered so the fumes disperse more. But it still stinks!

It's a lovely hotel, it's spotless, the rooms are a very nice size, the staff are very friendly and helpful, the food on the whole is very nice. As long as you like fish, as some nights there is a fair amount of fish. Our last meal (16/02/2013) had 7 meat options, only 2 were not fish, my wife doesn't like fish! D'oh.

In February next to the pool it's lovely and sheltered most of the time so you can catch the sun. If you can't catch the sun by the pool then you can on the sun terrace, Providing you can put up with the smoke.

The hotel is ideally positioned for train, bus and beach. Short walk to the train station and approximately €1.60 for the train to Malaga. Bus into Torremolinos stops literally outside.

If it wasn't for the smoking I would have rated it 5. I'd go back but I would highlight the smoking more the next time!

Room Tip: Corner room 222 is the other side of a thin wall to the maids store room! So if you want to be woken...
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

After a short bus ride from the airport we arrived at the hotel. Although check in was a bit chaotic we were given a glass of cava whilst we waited. Our room wasnt ready so we left our cases and went off to explore.
Torremolinos is spotless and very child friendly with play parks everywhere, even on the beach...our kids were in heaven!
Our room was 323, a family room overlooking the terrace and pool. The room was dated but we couldnt fault our cleaner who left shaped towels for the kids who thought it was brilliant.
All the staff at the hotel were friendly and very helpful, the food was great with lots of choice, again cant fault it.
The only downfall with going in the winter was that we couldnt really use the pool as it was far too cold. We asked if we could use the neighbouring Riu hotels indoor pool but were told no. Cristina our thomson rep was very helpful drawing maps so we could find places!! Would recommend visiting the battery park and the crocodile park.

Would def stay again, we went half term week so our kids had other kids to play with. Entertainment was low key although we didnt really watch it as our son wanted to run around the hotel instead.

Hull
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed overnight in this busy hotel with fully inclusive board at special rates. The welcome was good and the staff were friendly, cooperative and extremely efficient. Tremendous value

The room was spacious and clean as was the bathroom. The shower was combined with the bath and could cause problems for the aged and infirm.
The standard of the meals was high and much of the cooking was done in full view of the guests. Breakfast, dinner and evening meals were all in buffet form in a very large but pleasant dining room. The standard of food was good, the variety was excellent as we're the salad selections. The cheese board was uninspiring. All meals were in one sitting except for supper which had two sittings The efficiency of the staff was amazing.
The bar was pleasant and drinks were plentiful and free.
Wifi was available at quite a price, just a little disappointing as most hotels offer a free service these days. However this did not detract from an excellent overnight stay for me and a well long stay for the family.
Slimmers and abstainers beware , you could become fat or drunk quite easily here, or both
This hotel for a Winter visit is highly recommended.

J

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Have just returned from a week with my wife, 2 sons (7 and 11) and my wife's parents. It has been a first class experience and would happily recommend to anyone looking for cleanliness, good food, excellent service and very good value for money. The hotel is ideally positioned for train, bus and beach and the seafront was a very pleasant surprise. The hotel's really strong point is the sun terrace which is protected on three sides and provides a perfect spot for sitting out even on a chilly day in February (we measured the temp at 29c when 'outside' it was 13). This terrace is also the Hotel's downside as it seems to attract a lot of (radical) smokers, they were mostly German so perhaps it is a cultural thing and we Brits have got used to not seeing smoking in public so much. Our room was 117 which directly looks out on to the sunterrace fantastic for the less mobile members of our party but not for my asthmatic son who had to sit in the room with the doors closed because a group of elderly women insisted on sitting by and leaning on our balcony while smoking. When asked to stop one laughed and immediately lit another!
I know this was also a point of contention for our neighbours who thought that the invasion by these less than sensitive individuals had spoiled their visit and are going to leave similar reviews in French and Danish. The management could easily solve this problem by making part of the terrace smoke free (the area by the rooms) or by putting planters by balconies to provide a small barrier. This should get 5 stars but this one area really did spoil some of our days.

Room Tip: Don't accept first floor rooms if privacy is important to you
Heywood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

First thing I would say is to save you all some money when looking for trips, go out of the hotel and walk down towards the sea to the Riu Bel Playa, cross over the road and there is a trip excursion place there. I went with my daughter and saved around £70 for the trips I booked to Gibraltar and Seville you would save more if it was 2 adults booking places. - Hope that helps

As per any other Riu hotel the staff are fantastic from managers to gardeners, smiling, courteous, always great you and not ignorant. The rooms are large and cleaned daily The food was nice and always a great choice, witnessed the Restaurant manager telling a man with a walking stick to sit back down and he asked what he would like to drink and went to get it himself, not sending one of his staff.

Would recommend a Riu hotel to anybody this is the 5th in the chain around the world and always had the same perfect experience

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Riu Costa Lago? Share your experiences!