“Excellent holiday!” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avda de Espana 1-3 y 5, 29620 Torremolinos, Spain   |
Ranked #56 of 73 Hotels in Torremolinos
“Excellent holiday!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

I spent 1 week at this hotel in October 2012 with my parents. They have been here 4 times previously and love it. I haven't been on holiday with my parents in quite some time (I was 22 at the time) but, in spite of the mediocre reviews on here, I booked myself a room.

I'll be honest - before we left, I looked at these reviews on here and was expecting some kind of tacky 80s package holiday. My expectations were far from the truth.

The rooms are large, very clean and carpeted. Both our rooms look like they'd had a fresh coat of paint recently. The bed was comfortable and warm. The bathroom was small but perfectly adequate with a bathtub/shower which always had hot water. Two towels per person, complimentary toiletries and air con in the room. We were on the 8th floor, and I believe the higher floors receive a lot more sun light than those lower down which makes the higher rooms brighter. There are 10 floors in total - I would suggest requesting something above the 5th floor.

The pool area is large, with a huge deep pool, lots of sun loungers (no charge) and overlooks the beach, which is perfectly clean and also has ample sun loungers for rent (perhaps a little pricey at €9 for two per day, but on par with the rest of Europe).

Breakfast comprised both continental (hams, cheese, cereal, yogurt, fruit, croissants, bread, other cakes/pastries) and cooked (bacon, sausage, egg and various other bits). There are two toaster stations which minimises queueing, along with an area to make tea/coffee and a separate juice machine. For dinner there was a wide selection of salad, soup, plenty of rolls along with 2-3 choices of meat, vegetables, french fries and various other hot dishes. They even had a separate area with desserts - jelly, profiteroles, yogurt, cake, chocolate mousse, 6 types of ice cream and around 4-5 types of fresh fruit. I can't comment on the buffet lunch, as we were there on half board basis. Dinner gets maybe a little repetitive after a week, but if you're only there for a week it will be ok.

The majority of the guests were middle-aged, but I don't see why this would be a problem for anyone as it meant the pool was quiet and not full of rowdy school-leavers. If you are looking for a party, my perception is that Torremolinos won't be the area for you - however if you are looking for a quiet, relaxing holiday with a gorgeous beach and promenade then this is perfect. There weren't many children while we were there, so I am unsure how suitable this hotel would be for them - especially because there is no children's pool (this suits me perfectly).

For people looking to venture beyond the pool/beach, there is a crocodile park, Aqualand and The Battery Park a short taxi ride away. Within walking distance of the hotel there are regular boat trips departing from the gorgeous marina, a segway tour and Sealife Aquarium. There is also a bar made entirely of ice and a huge choice of restaurants/shops.

I have two issues with this hotel, but they are probably relatively minor. The first is the wifi. I have travelled extensively, and I do like to have wifi in my room. The wifi here only seems to work in the lobby and at a couple of tables in the restaurant. If they could extend their wifi to cover the rooms plus the pool area, I really feel this would make the hotel close to perfect. I realise this won't pose a problem to most people as holidays are for relaxing and not for checking emails. The second issue is that dinner didn't begin until 7.30 (until 10pm), which I feel is a little late - however I am well aware that this will not be a problem for most people, and I wouldn't say it was a 'problem' as such for myself, but a little earlier would be nice. (I did notice that for the school holidays (in October) they are changing the dinner time to begin at 7pm.)

Having travelled extensively, and having stayed in every kind of accommodation from 0-star to 5-star, I would say that this hotel is a good representation of a 3-star hotel.

No, it isn't 5-star, but it doesn't claim to be. You won't be waited on hand and foot, or have your luggage carried to your room - but you will have an excellent holiday with everything you could possibly need.

So to sum up, La Barracuda is a lovely, clean, spacious hotel with an excellent pool and a varied, tasty buffet for both breakfast and dinner. I would definitely not hesitate in returning.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

this hotel could be really great, just need a bit of a refurb especially the furniture around the pool, but would use again, great location, hotel really clean, friendly staff, comfortable beds, maids in everyday changing towels, food average.

Tampere, Finland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

We had a four night stay at Hotel La Barracuda. Location is good but everything else is awful. Hotel is generally in 1970`s condition and needs lots of renovation. Rooms was in very bad condition with old stinky fitted carpet floor. Air in room was very bad and corridor noise was annoying. Wifi was poor etc. I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone. Hotel really needs a huge renovation.

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

we have stayed at this hotel many times agree with others food not great dark side very cold and dark but a good value hotel if you don't mind the bad issues...................this is our last time at this hotel because of a embarrsing situation in the dinning room booked for 8 days we were always asked our room no in the dinning room on day 7 the waiter came to our table and said you pay for food I said were half board he then got another waiter the two of them said I must go to reception because they instisted we pay on checking reception confirmed we were half board they said sorry and had the cheek to say sorry love .........not good enough there are plenty of other accomadition we use we vist 4 times a year not to the barracuda again

Room Tip: room on the 10 floor 1007 street side cold dark shabby but best view on that side
Crosshaven, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

you get what you pay for but great location for marina and right on the beach which is clean and great sunbeds the pool area is very clean and fairly quiet and lots of sunbeds we went for the b&b option but to be honest it was not to my taste

Room Tip: Balcony's at the front of the building do not get any sunshine pay the extra for 1 overlooking t...
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

This last holiday (23 -30/3) was the 5th time I have stayed at this Hotel. I agree that the Hotel does need some modernising but some landings have been repainted and carpets replaced recently. I find the food more than acceptable and on the rare occasion that the cooked food is not as hot as you like then you can use the microwaves adjacant to the hot buffet. Most of the staff have not changed in the last 5 years and without exception are all friendly. The rooms are of a good size and all have balconies and sea views although you get more sun on the side overlooking the pool. The Hotel is in a very good location, about 200 yards from the promenade, a 10 minute walk to Benalmadena harbour and 25 minutes from Torremolinos. Along the prom you are spoilt for restaurants, many of which specialise in fish. Very reasonable to eat out and drink.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a pool view room, especially out of season.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I stayed in this hotel at christmas/new year 2013/2014. this hotel is stuck in a TIME WARP as it is so old fashioned it reminds me of the 1970's. There are curly carpet tiles in the corridors which are a health and safety issue as they are also unraveling. The food is disgusting, it is not only cold
but not cooked properly. one evening we had to wait 20mins for some chicken to be brought out when it did come it wasnt cooked. Only thing decent was the deserts. The entertainment was aimed at the Spanish people that were there for Christmas and if you asked for any other kind of music we were told to go away. The man in charge of the entertainment was extremely rude to us. Wont ever be going there again. had to suffer 3 weeks of this. LUCKILY 3RD WEEK ROOM ONLY.

Room Tip: dont go here go to the Nautilus instead
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel La Barracuda? Share your experiences!