“6 nights in the costa del sol” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel La Barracuda
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avda de Espana 1-3 y 5, 29620 Torremolinos, Spain   |
Ranked #56 of 73 Hotels in Torremolinos
Trim
“6 nights in the costa del sol”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We booked a last minute trip to the costa del sol for the June Bank Holiday weekend. The hotel was good value price wise. Great location right on the sea front with access directly onto the promanade and beach. The hotel was dated and the rooms need updating, no fridge in the bedroom but you could hire one which was located in a cupboard in the bedroom. We were there on half board basis. The breakfast was buffet with hot and cold options. There wasnt a great choice and no fresh fruit only tinned. The evening meal was similar. All in all price wise the hotel was good value with the location been perfect, staff friendly, and the rooms were cleaned every day. It would be nice if they had a fridge and hair dryer as standard for their guests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

I spent 6 days in July 2012 at La Barracuda with my best friend for some sun, relaxation and some girl time. We had a fantastic time.
The location is brilliant. It is basically on the beach! Just out of the back gate by the pool, cross the boardwalk and you're there. The long boardwalk runs right up to the Marina and has an erray of shops and restaurants to enjoy. Just around the corner is a great little "supermarket" selling plenty of snack type foods which is always very handy. A nice touch was that there is a couple of vending machines in the lobby selling a variety of crisps/chips and chocolate bars as well as bottles of chilled water. Very handy!
We stayed on a Full Board basis. Breakfast was good. I was a little disappointed by the fact that the only milk for cereal available seemed to be whole milk however this was not the end of the world and their churros far made up for it!!! The cooked breakfast was quite good. The eggs were a little hit and miss.
Lunch was, again, quite good. I'd say there was always at least something we liked.
Dinner was not so good. We only ate dinner once in the hotel. We were looking forward to a more Spanish style but it didn't have what we were looking for and found ourself eating in some of the many different tapas bars along the boardwalk overlooking the ocean. Overall I would say the food is completely fine, it is edible and the fact that we only payed a small amount for the full board meant we didn't really mind not enjoying dinner. What we really felt it lacked was choice. The choice that was there was great, just not enough options.
The staff were incredible. From the moment we arrived they were fantastic. They upgraded up to a sea-view room which was pleasing. The reception/concierge were very helpful with great English. Various members of staff told us we looked beautiful most nights when we came down dressed for the evening! It was very lovely and made us feel very special and welcome. Not at all crude or suggestive, just very sweet!
The rooms were very clean which is pretty much the most important thing to me. There was a fridge in their too which was great. Not a mini fridge but a proper waist height fridge. This was very helpful to store big bottles of water and juice. The bathroom was clean, the shower had great temperature controls and power, the hotels small amenities were lovely. The desk/dressing table with large mirror was perfect for doing make-up and hair, as was the large mirror in the bathroom, making it nice and easy for two 21year old women to get ready at the same time!!! Lots of space. My one complaint about the rooms was that the air conditioning was a bit noisy. Nothing that we were unable to cope with and I'm sure they would have done something had we asked. We mentioned it upon leaving and they were very apologetic.
Check-in and out nice and easy.
I would mention that I suffer from health problems reducing my mobility amongst other things. I didn't find I had any trouble getting around the hotel at all. The couple of steps into the dining hall were not too hard to manoeuvre and there is a wheelchair lift available. Given that I can not walk very far the fantastic location really made this holiday what it was. I recommend the bar just outside the hotel who open all day and night serving all sorts of drinks and during the day operate sun beds. You can pay a few euro for single beds but we chose to pay the €30 for one of the large four poster, mattress style sun loungers with a canopy you can pull over and the money includes a huge platter of fruit and a pitcher of sangria/beer or a soft drink as well as them bringing additional complimentary bits of fruit throughout the day. You can come and go as you please, the money keeps the bed for you for the whole day. 4 people could easily lay on it spaciously but some groups had 8+ on them. €30 may sound a lot but it is worth it with everything you get. Especially when you're splitting the money. It is also perfect for families, the kids will love it too!

All in all my only negative experience was the food and even that wasn't that bad.
We would most definitely return and will most likely do so. I recommend this hotel greatly.

Thank you to all the staff for their care and attention during our stay!!

• Stayed July 2012
Scotland UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We booked this hotel as it was very central to everything touristy being halfway between Torremolinos and Benalmadena. The port is only a short 5 minute stroll way.(We checked the area on google earth just to make sure). It is set front line beside the coastal walkway and is surrounded by smalll bars, resturants, and shops. The nearest row of bars is about 20 yards from the main door of the hotel and you cant get much closer than that!
Easy check in, followed by a very easy choice of 3 lifts to the rooms, so no hanging around for ages apart from at breakfast time.
The hotel itself is fine. its a grand old Lady which is ageing gently. Although the furniture in the rooms is a bit dated, they have more furniture than the basic rooms in other hotels in a similar price range. Nice wooden headboard, with a nice dressing table and a tv cabinet, as opposed to a bare wall and a plank of wood stuck on the wall. It also had nice bedside lamps, a dressing table lamp, and a free standing lamp, Did I mention a couple of comfy chairs? To be really honest, I loved the rooms!! And they were really clean, as was the bathroom. OHHHH. Did I mention BRAND NEW MATRESSES!!!! ( we were in a superior room)
The best bit though, was the capeting on the floor in both the hallways and the rooms. We did not have ANY disturbance from the rooms around us, above us, or from the corridor as the carpet deadened all the noise. BONUS!!
We found the staff to be courteous and pleasant,
As the hotel appears to be maily Spanish, we found this a rather pleasant experience. The Spanish guests were lovely and very courteous, saying hello and waving whenever we arrived in the dining room, and saying goodbye when we left. The guests were a reflection of the hotel itself:
Now, the food. Well, lets say it is more like school dinners and caters for Spanish taste rather than British. Tasty, but unimaginative I think is the best way to describe it. A bottle of house wine was e7.50. We had booked half board, and yes we found it was value for money, working out approx half the price shown in the hotel.
We did not use the outside area until the last day of our stay as we had other things to do, but although the hotel seemed to be almost full, there didnt appear to be a lot of sunbeds, but I wasnt to worried as I assumed they would have a stash of them somewhere. Well, pitches up poolside, not a free sunbed without a towel. There were quite a few towels/people stretched out on the grass. I couldnt do this as I have just had a major operation. So to reception I head, where the male receptionist was tryiing to cope with telephone calls, check ins etc. After a 10 min wait I asked if they had more sunbeds. He tried to contact "the man that did". 10 mins waiting by the pool, I go back and eventually he was free enough to say "sorry" they didnt have any more! I counted 50 sunbeds. As this was out last full day, I really didnt want the hastle of seeking the manager to complain.
So, we left and went across the walkway and rented sunbeds at 5e each, which included a free drink and fresh fruit kebabs! Lovely.
Overall, we found it to be the perfect location for us, and yes, we found the hotel to be very pleasant and really enjoyed our stay notwithstanding the shortage of sunbeds.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the pool. We booked through booking.com and sent a request directly to th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol,England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We arrived at the Barracuda hotel for a weekend break. It was 15 mins from the airport (taxi driver was in a hurry) The cost was 24 euros.
We checked into the hotel and was given a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool and the sea.
It is in a fantastic location and a 5 minute walk to the Marina in Benalmedena with lots of shops and bars. The main sea front is lovely and everywhere you walk you will enjoy lots of shops and bars.
We were very surprised at the cost of the drinks. We bought 2 pints of San Miquel and two large wines at the Bar Balu just outside the hotel on the beach. The price was 6.60 euros !!
All around the area it is very cheap.
We loved this break and will be going back to this hotel in the near future

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cork
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed for 2 days. I was in Spain for a Champions League match and decided to stay here. I try and book a different hotel every time I visit Torremolinos. Reception area was clean, white marble everywhere, gave the impression that it was a small hotel. Check- in was fine. Hotel is in a good location, next to the beach. Plenty of other hotels, bars, restaurants nearby. All rooms have a side sea view. Elevators are very small. Bedroom was OK, clean, bathroom was OK. Rooms could do with being modernized. The bedroom carpets and the hall carpets, while they were clean, are well past their sell by date.

Restaurant. To be fair - the half board deals were very cheap and excellent value. Breakfast both mornings was fine. Small choice, but edible. I had dinner on one evening, and it was OK.
Soup , salad bar, 3 hot choices of main course and desserts. Staff were nice. Wine at €8 was reasonable. The guests were all lovely people.

Had a beer in the downstairs bar, again, staff were efficient and pleasant.

If the owners invested now it would pay off, as the other nearby hotels ( Riu Nautilus & Sol Aloha Puerto) are beautiful.

Would I stay again, yes I would. Would I bring my wife here to this hotel, no. The surrounding hotels are far superior. Its clean, its great value, but needs TLC.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Newcastle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We went in late February early March for 6 days. Had read the reviews and was pleasantly surprised. Staff all helpful, room very clean and cleaned every day with towels changed every day. Food in restaurant adiquate, but not a great choice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Łódź, Lodz, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Nice hotel. Staff nice and friendly. We had HB option, food ok.
The location is excellent, right on the beech beside the promenade surrounded by cafes and restaurants. We had lovely weather so didn't spent to much time in the room There was a lot of kind running arround the place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel La Barracuda? Share your experiences!