“Good” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 73 Hotels in Torremolinos
Łódź, Lodz, Poland
“Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Nice hotel. Staff nice and friendly. We had HB option, food ok.
The location is excellent, right on the beech beside the promenade surrounded by cafes and restaurants. We had lovely weather so didn't spent to much time in the room There was a lot of kind running arround the place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We arrived at Hotel La Barracuda and were very happy to be given a very nice modern room on the sunny side of the hotel - pool and sea view. My husband and I have stayed at this hotel twice in the last few years. We enjoyed it very much. Half board was good value. The buffet salad was good but I think the hot food was limited and sometimes it was cold. We have stayed in a few different hotels in Benalmadena/Torremolinos and I think Hotel La Barracuda is definately the best location. We had clean towels every day and the beds were changed a few times while we were there. The staff were very helpful. The view from the balcony was terrific and we would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Walsall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Arrived Sunday 2nd December 2012 . 7 days Half board
Room 219 2nd floor, overlooking the street where the main entrance is situated. Residents call this “the dark side” because it gets very little sun on the balcony this side of the building. The room was quite spacious. Very clean, and nicely furnished.
The Hotel is well situated being right on the beach promenade, only a couple of minutes walk to the sea.
The hotel gardens are kept clean and tidy with a reasonably large swimming pool
Maid service every day and clean towels daily. Staff very helpful and friendly, throughout our stay.
Food lacks a little variety but was wholesome and you could make up a meal from what was available (although most things were Spanish style). Which, doesn't bother us. (We were in Spain after all) The menu was a reduced one because there seemed to be a lack of guests. It's a large hotel and the dining hall was only about one third full at most. If you're looking for English food at every meal this Hotel might not suit you. Breakfast still had Bacon- eggs – sausage and beans. Cereals (a choice of two) and the usual cakes croissants and pressed meats and cheese, bread rolls, toast, tea and coffee, fruit juice. As you would expect!
Evening meals consisted of a choice of two meat dishes and a fish dish, always seemed to have Spanish omelet, both at breakfast and dinner. There were pressed meats cheese and salad also a pasta dish, with plenty of fresh fruit available.
This Hotel is more used to having Spanish clientèle. During our stay we saw Germans Swiss and Spanish as well as a good number of British guests. Which we were expecting as we had read some previous reviews and this had been pointed out.
On the downside, a safe deposit box costs 14 euros with 5 euros deposit. The box is not in your room, it's in a small side room next to the reception. The box being quite small there's only room for passports and money, purses or wallets.
The bar/lounge, where entertainment takes place on occasions, is accessed by a quite long steep staircase. Which is OK for able bodied people, but my wife has mobility problems and could not descend or climb the stairs (no lift to the Bar/Lounge..below ground level). So we weren't able to use that lounge. Entertainment consisted mainly of a keyboard player and dancing which attracted local Spanish people who came just for the dancing. Sometimes the keyboard player played in the restaurant during meal times, which I thought was a nice touch. They had Flamenco dancers one night of the week, but we didn't get to see them (because of the stairs as previously mentioned).
However we did enjoy our stay at the Barracuda, made more so by the extremely friendly and helpful staff, both on the reception and the restaurant. Nothing was too much trouble and they were always pleasant and smiling.
The holiday was booked through Sun-master Holidays and was a real bargain. Yes we would use this hotel again, despite a few shortcomings. The welcome from the staff made all the difference
Regards Mick

Room Tip: Poolside views get the sun on the balcony
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is the 3rd time I have stayed at the Barracuda in the last 3 and a half years. The Hotel has very friendly staff and the food is above average, especially for what they charge. Some decoration has been done in the last year and this has brightened the Hotel up, especially the reception area. The bedrooms are very good, comfortable beds and constant hot water with an excellant shower.
Many of the staff have been with the Hotel for over 15 years, which I feel speaks for it's self.
I will be going back this year and my wife and I will be taking our daughter and grandson.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the Hotel do give a limited sea view but don't attract a great deal of...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed her during October 2012 half term with my mum and two children (aged 3 and 5) and also my sister and her two children (aged 10 and 14) in a different room.

Having read the previous reviews i was ready to be disappointed by the holiday - we booked it late and got the hotel, flight and full board for a really good price.

The reality was a really good hotel, good food and great location.

As we'd booked a cheap holiday we were put in rooms that backed on to the lifts and right nest to the stairs, we were room 425 and my sister had 725. I thought that this would be really noisy but we didn't notice any noise from either at all. Having said this, i would imagine during the summer it could be noisy. The rooms were really spacious. We had 4 single beds in our room and there was still plenty of room to let the children wander about while getting ready to go out etc. There was a funny smell in our room when we arrived - as others have said previously it smelt like stale smoke but i honestly don't think it was. We kept the room well aired during our stay and it was fine. The room itself was clean and tidy. The maids did a great job of cleaning up after us and our towels were changed regularly - i would say they were changed every other day which to me is fine as it's not a 5* hotel so i wouldn't expect any more than that.

The meals were really good. We were full board so had all meals in the hotel. There was plenty of choice. My son certainly at more than his monies worth. Even my daughter who is a bit of a nightmare had plenty of choice and ate a good amount. It did get a bit repetitive but at the end of the day it is mass produced food and therefore it's bound to be a bit like that. My main gripe with the food was that they didn't put paella on enough for my liking. Also the fruit was a bit sparse but i would assume that was because they generally use food that is in season.

There were plenty of places to take the children if the weather was a bit dodgy - which it was. The lounge downstairs was brilliant. We were able to have a drink while the children let off a bit of steam but without annoying other people as there was plenty of room.

The swimming pool was great - a bit cold but then i would imagine you'd only be going in it in the autumn/winter if you are a bit mad!

Generally the people staying at the hotel were spanish or french so if you prefer to holiday with a load of British people then stay away. We prefer to holiday with locals so it suited it totally.

The local was amazing. Right by the beach and a 5 min walk into some lovely shops. I was also amazed to find that we were a 10 min walk from Benalmedena marina which is a really nice area.

All in all it was a great holiday in a great location and i really don't have any complaints about it.

Room Tip: During high season request a room away from the lifts/stairs.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
midlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed there for a week in December, half board. The room was adequate and clean the food was terrible! We paid extra12 euros per night to get a room on the pool side and glad we did because the people who were on the other side said their rooms were so cold.The best thing about this hotel is the location!

Room Tip: Pay extra 12 euros per night to get on the pool side!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Winsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I've stayed here a few times now, Its aprox €29 per night for a single room Half Board so the price is ok, The rooms are basic but clean and a good size, Bathroom again basic, old shower head but it works, The biggest let down for me always is the food, 'its not good' but for the price you have paid (same as most self catering places) atleast you have the option to eat in or eat out. Plenty of eating places close by. I eat in on 3 of my 5 nights. On one occasion I was the only person in the restaurant the hotel is that quiet.
One complaint i do have is that, on the evening before my checkoot day i asked reception if i could keep my room on til 6PM as i had a late flight home, i was advised that would be ok as the hotel was pretty empty but to confirm it with the reception on the morning of my departure.
So in the morning on my way down to breakfast i advised the reception what i was told the evening before and they agreed but said it would be an extra €29 euros ??? I asked why they wanted to charge me an extra nights half board when i actually only want 6 hours they said thats the rate even though my room would not be getting cleaned til the following day either as the maids had all finished early cause they had so little number of rooms to clean.
So i agreed and went for breakfast,
On check-out i was asked why i was checking out so late and i advised them i had reserved my room for the extra 6 hours and thay said ok hope you enjoyed your stay so i left without 'being asked' for the extra charge.
Other than that its alright for a short stay but not longer.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel La Barracuda? Share your experiences!