“New Year trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Nautilus

You added Hotel Riu Nautilus to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Nautilus
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Salvador Allende 39 | Torremolinos - Malaga, 29620 Torremolinos, Spain   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Black Fri-Cyber Mon SALE
Ranked #3 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
Epworth
“New Year trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

Travelled on the 26th December to stay at the Riu Nautilus for a week along with my daughter and her partner. We had previously stayed at the Sol Aloha Puerta but as this was closed we decided to try the Nautilus. After booking I rang to ask for a sea view room and was told that I could not choose any particular room but after much discussion the person I spoke to said he would try. We booked with Travel Republic.

When we arrived we were told that the hotel was full. We were in the annexe and in the basement. My room was facing west with a very slight side sea view and also next to a side road. Take note:- room 40. The room itself was lovely, it was the location and there was also vehicle noise every night which woke me up, one sounded like a dustbin lorry every night about 2.30 - 3am. My daughter had room No.60 which was on the east side of the annexe and right in a corner. It must be the worst room in the hotel. She said that it was cold and thought it must be because there was not much light,even sitting on the balcony was depressing.

Now I know that there are better rooms than others in all hotels but you usually pay according to the location,but come on, we had paid a lot of money for this week and if the Hotel was full and they hadn't a suitable room then we should have been refunded or compensated in some way.

After complaining to various people on reception,(I was told at one point that there wouldn't be an available room until the 1st January) my daughter had word with the manager and suggested that if he lived in Madrid and he had come to stay in that hotel and been given the room which she had, that he wouldn't be very pleased and he agreed with her. The outcome was that on the third day she was moved onto the second floor on the same side as me, but a little further back. It wasn't the best location but much better than she'd had at first.

The reason we chose this Hotel, was that we had been to this area before and we love it. You just go out of the grounds of the hotel onto a lovely flat promenade that stretches for miles both ways and right next to the beach. There is the Marina a short walk to the right with boat trips etc and a small road train that can take you up to the cable car terminal which takes you up to a bird sanctuary, and the views are fantastic. Lots of things to do if you want and if not just relax in the hotel grounds or bars nearby. Ideal for people with disablities as there is so much on the flat.

THE FOOD

The first night we were late arrivals and there was a meal set for us in the dining room. It was salad with various meats which was O.K. and fresh fruit, well I say fresh, I would have thrown it in the dustbin as it looked so old and battered. The next morning I had a good look at the fruit again and it was no better. The head waiter had told us when we arrived that if we had any complaints we should tell him. So I mentioned to him about the fruit and that I would throw it out if I had such fruit at home. He said that he would mention this to the chef, but I didn't notice any improvement in the week we were there.

Generally there was always something you could find to eat, but we had read that the food was very good in this hotel and we were quite disappointed. The Sol Aloha Puerta nearby had better food. On New Years eve they excelled themselves with the evening meal, couldn't have been better.

The staff were quite friendly with the exception of one or two, very clean hotel, comfortable and I am going again in October with Thomson travel. Mainly because they do not have any rooms at the Sol Aloha Puerta for this time and they fly from Doncaster/sheffield which is only a half hour away. The girl I booked with has requested a room in the main block on the sunny side with sea view and overlooking the pool, Watch this space!!

Room Tip: Always ask for a room on the main block facing west if you want the sun that is. Suites are at the...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Kapellen, Antwerpen, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

Outstanding hotel, great service, very good staff and last but not least awesome food from breakfast trough diner ;)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Guildford, Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

We have visited this hotel 6 times in the last 6 years, we always made to feel special and valued and treated like old friends. The hotel restaurant is excellent for both breakfast and dinner and the quality and choice of food available would suit every taste. The rooms are clean and comfortable, The pool area is clean and well laid out with plenty of complimentary beds and mattresses, this leads onto the promenade and beach.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

My partner and I made our first 7 night half board stay at the Riu Nautilus in Torremolinos in Nov.11 2011.
I have to say that the Hotel certainly lived up to our expectations. Ideally located with respect to the promenade, beach and shops/cafe's etc. the beach being literally a few yards (mtrs) from the Hotel Gardens.

We arrived mid-morning and were checked-in and in our room within 15 mins. Our room was in the Annexe (which I would recommend) as the rooms are slightly larger than those in the main building, and as my partner uses a Mobility Scooter to get around, this proved very handy.
Housekeeping was a treasure, keeping everything spotless AND leaving us little ‘extras’ in the form of sweets and tissue flowers. A really lovely touch.

The room (and bathroom) was spacious, spotlessly clean and well appointed and had ‘Huge’ sliding wardrobes. There was also the usual extras, TV (which we hardly used), mini-bar (which we took advantage of as the contents, beer, wine, spirits, water & juice were very handy and all modestly priced as well as having some spare space for a carton of milk). As there are no tea/coffee making facilities in the room we normally carry a small travel kettle for the early morning ‘cuppa’ so the mini-bar was handy to store the milk.
The beds were very comfortable and the air-conditioning very efficient although we preferred to use the large ceiling fan to keep the room cool.

The views from the balcony were hardly ‘awe inspiring’ BUT to be honest this is something that is way, way down on my list of ‘must haves’. Firstly, we hardly ever spend any time in a Hotel room and if we do use the balcony, it is only for the ‘early morning cuppa’, to have a smoke or to sit for awhile reading, so having some sun, yes, having a view, not really important.

Dining was an absolute pleasure. We opted for the ‘late’ sitting (7:45) evening meal, which suited our normal dining habits and were allocated a set table for the duration of our stay, which I thought was a definite plus. Although for breakfast, it was a ‘free for all’ regarding tables but we never had much of a problem finding a table.
The quantity, choice and quality of all the food (both for breakfast and evening meals) was superb so can’t fault anything, Chefs to be highly commended.

The evening entertainment varied from 'just OK' to excellent. The highlight for me was a guitarist 'Roque Casabona' who was not only a fantastic musician but was entertaining and amusing with it.

All of the staff we encountered were friendly, helpful and really made you feel welcome.

The only ‘downside’ I have with this Hotel, purely from a personal and mobility viewpoint, is that it can be quite inconvenient to reach some of the areas within and around the Hotel. The Hotel is on multiple levels and although lifts and ramps are in evidence, they can be awkward to negotiate. For example, access to the dining room (which is one level down from the main lobby) is via stairs. A small lift is provided which can ’just’ accommodate a small wheelchair and as the doors are at right angles to each other (entry & exit) it is awkward to say the least, no chance with a mobility scooter. No ramp from the pool bar to the pool area, also the ramp from the pool area to the prom is also quite narrow (with 180 degree turn) again, just manageable with a wheelchair but a real struggle with a scooter. We found that was easier to leave by the main entrance and go ‘round the block’ to get to the prom, likewise coming back. Access to the pool bar tables(outside), from the dining area is around 4-5 yards, BUT down steps. So, using scooter (or wheelchair) it is, back to the annexe, down the lift, 300-400 yards to the pool then back 100 yards to the pool bar tables. Like I said previously, no problem for able bodied, but a ‘little’ inconvenient for wheelchair, scooter users or those with mobility problems.

That said, an excellent Hotel, a most enjoyable stay and would definitely visit again.

Hautbellain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

My husband and I have just returned from this hotel and this is certainly one of the best hotels in the Torremolinos area. The location is excellent: only separated from beach and see by a promenade, lots of restaurants and cafes nearby, on walking distance from the shopping area in Torremolinos ( 2km ) and a stones throw away from the pittoresk Puerto Marina. Also a bus stop at 100M.The room with seaview was spacious and quiet, only a better and newer television would be better. Pool area lovely with enough sunbeds and heated pool (november).
Wifi avalable in the lobby for a reasonable price ( 10 EUR for 10 h.) Food in the nice restaurant is excellent and varied. We would definately go back! Tip: the hotel will be completely refurbished as from November next year.

cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Stayed in many hotels in Spain over the years and can honestly say this is one of the best. Meal times were hassle free with having own table for the duration of holiday, eliminating table saving problems. Food is nicely cooked with good variety. Rooms are a pleasure to stay in Also liked the payment tab at end of holiday with no money changing hands until last day.
Location is excellent with beach across walkway with many interesting shops and cafes in walking distance. Marina a stones throw away. Well placed for walking the length of promenade it goes on forever when walking towards Torremolinos.
Pool area is manned by lifeguard who also polices pool, making sure people from beach do not abuse facilities. Very quiet around the pool with very few children, if any, at time of our stay May/June Downside is the entertainment which we found very boring, prefering to go out at night rather than stay in hotel lounge.. Overhaul this is a good quality hotel and would definately go back.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking pool area as then you will get a sea view and sun at some point in the day...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Bolton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

My wife and I have just returned from the Riu Nautilus where we had hoped to have the same experience as when staying at the Riu Monica at Nerja only to be disappointed. We chose it because of it's high food rating. If it was the time of year or maybe the economy that effected the standard I don't know, but it suffered badly in a comparison with the Monica. We couldn't say we starved, but choosing what to eat was a chore, maybe a strip of 3mm thick steak over cooked or hardly cooked, or chicken leg bone, notice I say leg bone not chicken leg, under cooked potato slices, you had to read the naming card to know what you were looking at. If you were a lover of salad I would say you were well catered for. A couple we were allotted to sit with were in their 3rd week and said that the food was a little better previously.
I have to say the staff were excellent, and the room service could not have been better. We can only hope for the Hotels sake that the head Chef was off that week

Room Tip: If you like sun on your balcony ask for it because depending on the time of year it will differ.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Nautilus? Share your experiences!