“Chocka Block !!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 73 Hotels in Torremolinos
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Chocka Block !!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Arrived home yesterday after a week in the Griego... Hotel Staff work extremely hard to keep hotel clean & to provide good service. Good Wi-fi service throughout - which for my kids was a bonus. The trouble with this hotel is there are too many rooms for the size of the hotel facilities - pool area is tiny - everybody is sunbathing on top of each other - no space for many sun-beds - (then you have to be up early to get one).. pool bar very busy - queues out the door - & it was early season.. food was plentiful and ok.. you have to go early for mealtimes though as restaurant gets busy. We found we by/passed our lunch, and went to the beach every day & hired sun beds there - just to escape the chaos of people.. noise unbeliveable at times - especially at night - people have no concern for other guests.. We never sampled the evening entertainment - as everything indoors - we like to sit out on a evening - so we drank in local bars before returning back to the hotel for the last hour of our all-inclusive. We did enjoy our holiday - we made the best of it - but I would not recommend this hotel or come back, as I have stayed in better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the pool and also a higher level than 3 - if you want to sleep.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Hungarian first
Derry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

ARRIVAL
We arrived at the hotel on the evening of 20 May 2015 and were greeted at reception. The receptionist was busy but still polite.

We were told of meal times and the hotel’s WIFI password and we were each given a room key-card and directed towards the elevators. On first impression, the hotel foyer was bright, clean and welcoming and a few people were lounging about in the various seating areas.

ROOM
We arrived at our room on the 4th floor and were pleased to find that it had a balcony overlooking the pool area. The rooms weren’t huge but were adequate and were clean and functional. There was a flat screen TV too with English language channels, these included BBC1, 2 ITV & Channel 4. It was handy for catching up on the news back home but we didn’t watch too much TV. We were on Holiday. The bedroom also had a balcony, it was small but perfect for sitting having a nice drink and surveying the other guests having fun by the pool. The room also had its own bathroom which was equipped with a bath, shower, sink, toilet and bidet. There was also a shaving charger port and a hairdryer in the bathroom. Air conditioning was also installed in the room but the temperature of this seemed to be fixed to 22 Degrees C. We could change the fan speed but not the temperature setting, this would be my only complaint about the room as I like it a little cooler when I sleep. There is also a safe which can be hired for a small fee.

The maid service for the rooms was excellent, our room was serviced everyday and if necessary clean towels were also provided. Complementary toiletries were provided in the bathroom and I made use of the free premium shaving gel provided, however it only lasted for 2 shaves and I would’ve liked another 1 or 2, I’m sure the hotel would have provide them but I was too embarrassed to ask.

FOOD & DRINK
We then went down to try out the food as we arrived just in time for dinner and were pleasantly surprised by the large selection on offer, there really is something for everyone. There was a selection of salads, cold cuts, breads, vegetables, pizzas and a nice selection of desserts. The food was of a really good quality and really well presented. There was also a gluten free option so the hotel seemed to have all dietary requirements covered. I had the chicken with green beans and potatoes for my first meal, which was quite tasty. I also had chocolate cake for dessert which again was delicious. After dinner the snack bar opens until midnight and if you’re still a bit hungry, hotdogs, burgers and other snack foods are available. Everyday there were different meats etc on offer so be sure to check out the grill at dinner time or for freshly made pizza at lunch time. The pizzas were also top notch and I think I had them about 4 times. Usually on holiday my appetite wanes while I get used to the heat etc, but the restaurants really had something for everyone and you will not be disappointed with the food. During our stay we were able to book in La Giaconda for one of our evening meals and we had a fantastic barbeque evening with as much meat as you liked cooked to order by the grill chef. I may have overdone it on the chops but they just too tasty.

Breakfast too had a good selection, you could have continental style, hot or both if you preferred. A good selection of breads also on offer most morning I had the boiled eggs and a cheese and bread selection with toast and freshly brewed coffee.
The all inclusive drinks included Amstel Beer and selections of local wines and spirits, the bar staff were very friendly and even very forgiving of my poor Spanish when I tried to order my drinks, but I got my drinks served as I asked for them and any mistakes I made when ordering were corrected.

ENTERTAINMENT
The hotel was very family friendly and there were a few other families with young children while we were there. They have the mini disco every evening for the little ones and there is a wide variety of other daily activities provided by the fantastic ‘Animacion’ team. They really were amazing with the kids and very patient with the big kids too. There was a raffle on one of the nights when guests were asked to complete a questionnaire, thinking no more of it, I completed my questionnaire and my name was drawn from the raffle, unfortunately we didn’t know you had to be in the Salon Bar at the time of the raffle and I missed out on a nice bottle of Champagne.
There were singers or some form of entertainment every night, or if you wanted a bit more, there is a disco and pool in Pepes Bar until 2am. I liked the singers and thought they were quite talented; they also try to accommodate requests for songs as best they could.

GENERAL
The hotel has a good mix of guests, from Ireland, England, Scotland, Spain and Germany and I’m sure from other countries too. Some reviewers complained previously about having Spanish guests in the hotel. However, I think it is a good sign when natives want to spend time in a hotel full of tourists and the Spanish guests I met were polite and pleasant. So I really don’t understand why people complain about having Spanish visitors in a Spanish hotel. In fact, on our first night there was a family I think from Manchester. I have never witnessed such ill mannered, rude, ignorant and downright bullying behaviour in all my time while on Holidays. They were ignorant and rude to other guests, to the hotel staff and to the Animacion team. They started rows with other guests and the security staff because they were asked to stop their kids from kicking footballs around the bar area. An area with people having drinks, in glasses on tables. Of course it is unsafe to be kicking around half a dozen footballs. I was also told by other guests that they verbally and physically abused one of the Entertainers by throwing drink over him. I had firsthand experience of their rudeness; I was also at reception being served and one of the family members cut in front of me and interrupted me and the receptionist rather than wait her turn in the queue and then they started shouting over us. I’m sure they wouldn’t get away with it in England so why do they think they can get away with it in Spain. I am just glad they left the day after we arrived. I’m sure the hotel management would’ve kicked them out sooner but only because they had kids they got away with being obnoxious and rude to staff and guests. I commend the hotel on their patience as not many other establishments would put up with that behaviour.

Overall we had a good time and although the weather could have been a wee bit nicer we still enjoyed ourselves. The staff were all excellent, the rooms were spotless and the food had plenty of variety. Thank you Marconfort Griego.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view!
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed here on 17th may 2015 with my family. The hotel had been refurbished since our lat visit 6 years ago to a very high standard. The rooms were cleaned daily with fresh towels every day. Our room had complimentary shaving kit, shampoo, dispenser soap and there was even a hair dryer in the bathroom!! Usually you have to pay to hire a hair dryer at hotels. The only hiccup were the key cards that were temperamental. The maid was really friendly as were all the staff, all smiles and very helpful. Meals were great, always a good variety of food and a choice of places to eat. A different theme for meal times each day. Lots of desserts to choose from, vegetarian selection kids selection were available too.
3 bars to choose from each evening, designed to cover all tastes, 1 is like a show bar for all the entertainment, 1 more like a nightclub and 1 more of a relaxing bar to drink and chat. The hotel is very clean. the pool area hosed down twice a day. what more could you ask for from a hotel. we shall certainly return as we think its exceptional value for money. Strawberry milkshake family. :-)

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
subdireccion_griego, Guest Relations Manager at Marconfort Griego Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Debbie, Thank you so much for your review of our Marconfort Griego Hotel. We are thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your recent holiday with us and noticed all the changes that we have made over the past six years since your last visit. The majority of our refurbishments have taken place over the past year and we will continue to improve facilities and services which we offer our guests. Our catering services are frequently commented upon and we are frequently priased on the quality and variety of foods which we offer in our two restaurants. Listening to our guests allow us to improve and to this end we now include cava and cider in our bars; cheese and biscuits in our restaurants; a complementary shaving kit in our bedrooms and staring on the 1st June a complementary bottle of water in the bedrooms on arrival. We are so pleased that you found our hotel provided exceptional value for money and we look very much forward to seeing you and your family again for another great holiday and more free flowing strawberry milkshakes LOL !
edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Just returned from a lovely week at this hotel, The hotel is lovely, food excellent and the staff are very friendly. I would definitely stay again. My only complaint would be the lack of sockets in our room, we only had one!

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Thank you very much Lucy for taking a few minutes of your time to share your opinion of our Marconfort Griego Hotel with other users of Trip Advisor. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your recent holiday with us and found our staff to be friendly and our food services excellent. We are in the process of installing more plug sockets in our rooms (some rooms now actually having four sockets) and hope to have this completed by the end of this year. Thank you once again for your review and we hope to have the pleasure of your company on a future occasion.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Do not go on holiday to this hotel if you don't want to live by endless rules! Just returned and never been on a holiday like it in my life, how people return year after year, all I can say is they must not have seen what is out there. On the plus side the rooms are nice, food terrible to the point we were all inclusive and ate out, breakfast disgusting, entertainment absolutely rubbish day and night, rules at the pool seemed to be aimed at the English and not the Spanish who if you didn't have things glued down it would be gone, i had to buy my own parasol as there was not enough and the minute my back was turned it was taken but I sharp got it back along with my daughter's pool float that was also taken after trying to argue in another language and try and get the staff and lifeguard to help who were as much use as a chocolate fire guard, no balls, inflatables or anything allowed in the pool that was far too small for the hotel and number of rooms, very enclosed hotel, my idea of a hotel is being able to sit outside in the warm evenings, this hotel everything is indoors and no access to sitting outside if you want to suffer the entertainment. Bar all cheap local drinks, cues were massive day and night, snack bar was just left overs from previous sittings, only there 4 nights and that was more than enough. Anyone not very mobile it will not be good as a lot of stairs to get to places within the hotel and lifts were constantly not working.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Dear Debbie, thank you for you comments. Unfortunately all our lives we are governed by rules and this includes while we are on holiday and especially while we are in a foreign country. Rules (be they mandatory, statutory, tour operator or local government enforced) are there primarily to provide security and protection for all our guests, in addition to our staff and neighbours. Unfortunately local regulations prohibit the use of inflatables in public swimming pools and that includes our swimming pool. Your comments regarding our food services and selection, unfortunately does not coincide with the majority of comments found here on Trip Advisor and you comments regarding our repeat guests (many whom return year after year and many who holiday with us twice a year) could be considered somewhat detremental to them, however we thank you for your personal opinion.
Washington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

As usual a wonderful hotel. The recent upgrade to 4* has improved this hotel even more. The staff could not be more helpful. The new restaurant is a brilliant addition to the hotel.
Have already booked my trip for September.

Room Tip: Book a table in the La Gioconda restaurant for Dinner Friday or Saturday.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Dear Steven, Thank you so much for your kind words, we are thrilled that you enjoyed your recent holiday with us and liked the improvents which we have made to our hotel. The addition of our new restaurant "La Gioconda" (serving freshly prepared pasta and pizza dishes during lunch service and grilled and barbecued meats during evening meal service) allows guests to savour different types of foods in a relaxed environment with views of the swimming pool. Thank you once again and we look forward to seeing you again in September !
Ruthin, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We booked this hotel because it got 4 stars on trip adviser ratings. So it would be fair to say we have been disappointed on many counts. The reception staff are helpful and professional but very over stretched.

The hotel is dated and worn. Rooms are fine but ours wasn't visited by the maid on the second day. General standards of cleanliness in the hotel are good.

we had asked for a balcony over the swimming pool but that room had faulty A/C and wasn't bearable. Reception dealt with this quickly by providing another room but this one has views over the backs of residential apartment blocks.

Biggest let down since we booked full board is the food. We saw lots of good reviews but let's be honest - there is lots of ok buffet style food but it's not great. Breakfast and dinner buffets are meat based and food tends to be bland and hot food is often stone cold.

In the reception are pictures of the exclusive restaurant - and it looked very good. You have to book and can only go once. But when we arrived it was a buffet providing plentiful meat but cold rice or fries and salad I.e a buffet like the main restaurant. We didn't see the pasta and other things in the photo. So fair to say we were a little let down

Finally on the atmosphere of the hotel. There is lots of free booze and therefore a fair number of drunk and loud people - that's to be expected. This is the first hotel in the hundreds I have stayed in across the world where a security guy bearing a big baton patrols reception in the evening. I guess he must be necessary but we didn't expect to be in a hotel that gets so out of hand sometimes.

Lots of Spanish people in the hotel which is a good sign. We were concerned in advance that it was a hotel for the famous binge drinking Brits. There are some and there are lots of families. It's a big hotel that has to handle large numbers of people. It does this well. But this means you have to compete for space at the pool and in other places.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review of your recent holiday with us. We are sorry that you did not enjoy the selection of foods which we offer in our two restaurants. Our main restaurant serves a wide selection of freshly prepared foods, including, 2 varieties of soups, fresh salads, fish dishes, meat dishes, pasta dishes, seven different dishes on our vegetarian buffet, a meat dish and a fish dish prepared to order on our show cooking grill and 4 varieties of pizza. This in addition to our bi-weekly carveries where our chef carves roast beef and roast pork, our bi-weekly specail tables with special sweets selection accompanied by Spanish Cava and our Spanish hams and cheeses selection accompanied by portand sherry. Our new restaurant "La Gioconda" serves feshly prepared pasta dishes, pizzas, calzones and snacks during lunch service and is a BBQ meat reaturant during evening meal service and like our main reaturant is buffet service.

Ourselves, like the majority of large hotels in Spain, do indeed contract security services from an external company and normally provides reassurance to our guests, especially during an evening while at the same time ensuring that people who are not guests of our hotel, do not entrer. We are sorry if you werea little 'put off' by his uniform.

Been to Marconfort Griego Hotel? Share your experiences!