“Hotel Hell” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 73 Hotels in Torremolinos
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“Hotel Hell”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We arrived at Marconfort Greigo on 10th August for 6 nights. This is the first time I have ever gone all inclusive and I have to say I wont be doing it again. The food was dreadful, breakfast left a lot to be desired and what was served at lunch was also served at dinner. When our son returned from our family holiday he wasn't discussing his trip all he could talk about was getting a good nourishing meal into him.
I have a 17 yr old son and he was not allowed to have a large glass of juice at any one time.WHY????? We complained about this and our reply was "" We don't want waste" yes maybe for a two yr old but not a 17yr old.
Our bedroom was fine and the cleanliness of the hotel was also fine. The staff work really hard keeping the place clean. I have been to many parts of spain on our family holidays and have never ever complained. The Spanish people in this report are so very very rude in fact ignorant to say the least.

I would not recommend this hotel or resort to anyone

Room Tip: We stayed on the fourth floor opposite side to the pool and we managed to sleep
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
subdireccion_griego, Guest Relations Manager at Marconfort Griego Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear Jean, thank you for taking a few minutes of your time to leave your thoughts regarding your recent holiday at our Marconfort Griego Hotel. We are indeed very surprised that you found our food not to your liking, as you will see from many other reviews here on Trip Advisor our food quality and food variety are frequently very highly praised. It is indeed unfortunate that your 17 year old did not enjoy our fish dishes (battered, grilled or in sauce) nor our meat dishes (lamb, pork, beef, chicken) nor our carvery (roast pork, roast beef or roast turkey) nor our vegetarian buffet (spring rolls, ratatouille, roast potatoes, broccoli, carrots, rice) nor our children's buffet (burgers, English sausage, chicken nuggets, savoury ham rolls) nor our 5 varieties of pizzas... we can't imagine what he must eat at home. Your son, being 17 years old, would have worn a green wrist band (this colour wrist band is given to all people under 18 years of age, irrespective of whether a guests' has paid adult price) and indicates that we will not serve them with alcoholic drinks. Our policy with green wrist bands is that they will be served one regular size drink at a time, we are sorry that this caused your son discomfort, however had you have brought this to the attention of our guest relations manager or indeed our assistant manager who is on duty until midnight, we're sure that an amicable solution could have been found.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Polish first
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Had a fantastic week long holiday...hotel is clean and lovely. We went all inclusive with our 3 young children (ages 6, 4 and 2) and found something for everyone. There is a small play area by the evening entertainment and this was fantastic as it kept the kids entertained of hours. The pool is fine and not as small as we thought when we booked. We never had to wait too long at any of the bars. There is a policy of 1 drink per child and 2 per adult at any one time which works as at some hotels people take advantage. You can use the free hotel bus to the beach or take the beautiful 10 min scenic walk through the shops. The beach is beautiful and clean. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and would go again in the future.

Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays

Ballycastle,Northern Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

After having done self-catering last year to Cambrils we decided that mum & dad needed to relax on holiday too, and that is what we got!

3 hour flight time & 20 minute transfer from Malaga airport brought us to the Marconfort Griego Hotel. We were efficiently checked in but as Lynn E said in her review not much was explained about the all inclusive but since the hotel is compact a 10 minute stroll would orientate you to the layout. Also, behind reception there were two notices in English advsing guests about the availability of picnics if going out for the day.

Our rooms were on the 4th floor and facing away from the central pool area which meant they were quiet, day & night. The rooms were spacious fortunately as our two wee boys (8 & 9) refused to share with their older brother & his mate so we ended up with a mattress on our floor for the duration. Both rooms were freshly decorated and had CRT TVs with 2 UK channels, BBC News & BBC1 Yorkshire! Bathroom in good condition and towels changed/room serviced every day.

We had done all inc. in Crete a few years ago and this was much better. During day there were 3 bars operating and the staff were efficient and pleasant. Cruz Campo is the all inc lager & I liked it though Frank and Clare that we met liked the Heineken at 1.10E a bottle during AI hours which went to 2.20E after midnight. AI wine was ok too. A range of nibbles e.g. olives, crisps etc were AI too.

Restaurant quite cramped as it's a busy hotel but the staff in there were extremely efficient at servicing the tables. Great range of food with some staples e.g. burgers, pizza, pastas, cold meats and salad bar. Diifferent fish and meat mains every night of our 7 night stay. Self service.

I think this is a 70s hotel renovated as the pool is a rectangle and got quite busy with the numbers of guests using it. Also the comments about the sun loungers are true, but there is the quiet area on the roof with loungers although you'd need a cool box since it's 9 floors up from the bars! Pool area well mainatined and our 8 year old had a ball in the pool mixing with Spanish, Scottish, English, Irish and the rest.

Regarding the other guests, it is mainly a Spanish hotel but for us that added to the holiday experience! No body was rude during our stay. There were 4 pool tables, 2 near the pool and two in a wee quiet room near reception so there was always a table available, and all the cues were in good condition, not the usual smashed tip efforts you get in family hotels. The kids entertainment and evening entertainment was heavily Spanish orientated but as I said earlier, that added to the experience.

We'd go back tomorrow!

Room Tip: Away from the lifts
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This was our first family holiday abroad. With three young boys, we wanted somewhere which offered entertainment each night an always had something to occupy the boys. we definitely got this. some of the entertainment was a bit 'old' for our children but the majority ie the magician show and the parrot show was exceptional. there was plenty for them to do both through the day and the night and as they could help themselves to drinks and ice creams etc, they gained a lot of independence. all of the staff were very helpful and spoke very good English. I can not fault the food or hotel in any way. when I found out we were on the eighth floor I was a bit nervous but this was soon overcome when I saw the room, it was a very good size for a family of 5 and the balcony was great (we had 8 sun loungers all to ourselves.) we met some lovely people and our children made some lovely friends. I would definitely recommend this hotel an I would love to go back in the future.

Room Tip: a/c noise was a bit loud on the 8th floor but you learn to ignore this after the first night especia...
moreton wirral
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We will never stay at this hotel again!! Great if you are rude and Spanish

5 of us stayed in this hotel for 1 week 3 Adults and 2 children (29th July-5TH Aug 2013) and that was long enough!!

When we arrived we checked in and absolutely no information was given to us regarding our "all inclusive" package, No food times, what food and drinks were included, where things were?? we had to discover this for ourselves during our stay. As this was our first time holidaying all inclusive we did not know what things were included. On our last day we met a family who informed us that on day trips a packed lunch would be provided as we had paid for this with our all inclusive package yet we were not made aware of this and took 2 day trips out whilst there and spent a lot of EXTRA money throughout those days on food and drink which we did not need to do and had we been informed of this we would have taken the packed lunch option!!!!!

The hotel has 2 small lifts which is not enough for the size and capacity of the hotel. During our week stay one of the lifts was "out of order" on 4 occasions, terrible as we had to wait up to 30 minutes at one point to get to our room on the 6th floor!!

We stayed in a very basic family room which was situated right next to the lifts, the lifts were very very noisy and banged and scraped throughout the day and night. Due to this keeping us awake we asked to move rooms as we were all shattered. The hotel did this for us and placed us in another room on the 4th floor in exactly the same place, right next to the lifts!!! When we explained that this would not solve anything as the noise was still there, we were told there was nothing they could do as that is where all the family rooms are situated. Why put family rooms right next to the lifts which are being used constantly throughout the night so will be noisy??? makes no sense!!! Needless to say we were all very tired throughout our stay!!!!

GAMES ROOM - Quite simple, the games area should be supervised, I was disgusted!!! My 2 children (7+8) enjoyed the fact that there were playstations (extra cost), pool (extra cost) and ping pong tables to play on but they could not enjoy it without constantly getting pushed off by Spanish children and ADULTS!! Everyday playing on the ping pong table was a battle, my children would happily wait their turn to have a go but once on there the Spanish people would literally come up and push them off so we as adults could not relax as we should be able to on our holiday as we constantly had to stay in there to ensure it didn't happen but it still did at times with us there. This is definitely a Spanish dominated hotel and never in my life (and I have been to different parts of Spain on numerous occasions) have I ever come across such rude, arrogant bullies!!!!!!! I am FUMING!!!!!!

ENTERTAINMENT - Great if you are Spanish!! The entertainment was pretty much completely designed for the Spanish guests, They did not really translate much in English and on the odd occasion they did you couldn't understand anyway as it was not clear. During one of the days there was a childrens activity which my children wanted to take part in (this was the only one they did as they felt very isolated) It was a game they had never played before and nothing was explained to them at all. I took them over to put their name down and 3 Spanish children pushed in front of me to give in their names and not one thing was said to them and the guy watched it happen. There was no system whatsoever!! Mine were the only 2 English children there and the rest were Spanish. I stood with them and they were completely ignored, pointed to when it was their go and that was that. They had to watch whilst the "entertainers" joked and laughed with all the Spanish kids and not once were the Spanish children told to show some respect, again they pushed my children out the way, stood over them when it was their turn and made them feel very intimidated. There is no organisation whatsoever and was a complete shambles!!!!!

SUN LOUNGERS - If you want a sun lounger get there about 7am otherwise you've got no chance!! People were putting towels on beds and going out for the day and using them when they got back, even when we complained about this nothing was done!! We paid a lot of money for this holiday like everyone else yet not once did we get to use one, totally unfair and again not enough for the capacity of people in the hotel!!!!!

Room Tip: Ensure you get a room away from the lifts if you want sleep!!!! I would personally advise looking...
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I went here as a surprise for my Boyfriends birthday, and all in all i think it was a good holiday! the weather reached about 32 degrees, and even though we only went there for a short break (3 nights) it was just what the doctor ordered!

Good Points:
Rooms are spacious, and there is plenty of storage!
Plenty of food to choose from
Entertainment is very good for a 3* (although the child entertainer could learn to smile lol)
Great service and friendly hotel staff
Beach isnt that far away (please note: i had to use satnav on my iphone to get us there, i wouldnt say it was exactly well sign posted, still...its a nice walk even if the usual 10min journey once yu have sussed the route takes you an hour!)

Bad Points:
Pool is way too small for the ammount of people this hotel accommodates!
some drinks could do with being on the all inclusive menu (e.g. San Miguel) however, its less than a euro a bottle if its what you fancy
Not so much a bad point for the hotel, but the way these spanish people drive...please be road cautious!

We had a room that faced onto other houses, and to begin with i was a bit unhappy about it (they are like 5 storey flats), however in the afternoon the sun came right on to our balcony, so that made up for it. All in all this hotel was very good, there are plenty shops and plenty things to do especially the closer you get to the beach front. There is also a place just to the right of this hotel that does an AMAZING english breakfast for 6 euros each, so if you fancy breakfast away one day i reccomend it. I would reccomend it for a small break :)

Room Tip: Tip - Ask for a room from floor two and above, as some of the facilities are on the first floor as w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dorchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We have just returned from a week here all inclusive - we are a family of 5, 2 adults, 3 children age 12, 9 and 4.

Let me start this review by firstly saying that some of the reviews here are a little unfair. If you are reading this, you are probably looking at booking a holiday here, or are about to come here - why else would you be reading reviews? As long as you bear the reviews in mind - the recurring comments about the pool etc - and go there with this in mind, knowing what to expect then you won't be disappointed.

We had fully read the reviews and i kept an eye on them as the holiday approached. I contacted the hotel via facebook - they responded very promptly - with my questions/concerns before we arrived.

1st - i requested a low floor room (this hotel has 8 floors - they lifts are small, and always full, as per the reviews. and being high up with kids petrifies me!). The immediately responded saying i could have a 3rd floor room.
2nd - i asked about lunch, being all inclusive could be have a packed lunch for going to the beach - knowing the pool was small we decided not to even attempt it and to do the beach every day! They said that due to temperatures, and food not being stored correctly, they no longer did packed lunch. I asked i we could use our AI bands at their sister hotel - they said no due to that hotel being 4*. I then asked if i could bring a small cool bag and make my own lunch from the breakfast buffet - they were more than happy for me to do that!! We ended up not needing to, but if you are a family on a small budget, that is a fab option.

The next thing you need to know is that this is a hotel. not a resort! if you are expecting to stay in a huge resort with several pools, a choice of restaurants etc - you will be disappointed. It's a hotel, with one pool, one restaurant!

So, here is our experience:
When we arrived at 7.15 we were checked in and in our room within 15minutes! Brilliant! Stress free! We couldn't get the lift up to our room but 3 flights of stairs (54 stairs) wasn't too bad! There is no "porter' here to take your bags! The pool area looked busy still - and we noted (as per the reviews) there were a lot of Spanish families. Our room was large and spacious - a double bed (well, 2 singles pushed together which is standard in all european hotels - why people moan about this i don't know!), 2 single sofa beds, both with pull out camp beds so we had extra beds. Plus a dressing table, large wardrobe, and a desk. If anything, my complaint about the room would be that there was no plug socket near the bed - annoying when charging a phone at night - and (personal preference) some kind of clock - i like to see the time at night so i appreciate a clock on the tv. We did have a huge wall mounted LG plasma telly though! The bathroom was huuuuuge - 2 sinks, toilet, bath, shower, bidet (my 4yr old was obsessed that we had a "bum washer" in our room).

We had just put down our bags when reception rang to check the room was ok for us and to let us know that we would be advised to go for dinner now before it got too busy! Wow, fantastic service.

The food was lovely. don't agree with people who say it's boring and samey. I have stayed in hotels before where it really is the same every night. The food at the Griego was hot, fresh, appetising and varied. There is a menu posted outside the restaurant every day so you know what you are having. The vegetarian option is brilliant - separate from the meat dishes. The salads are lovely, dessert was lovely, the meat special was lovely. The restaurant staff were fantastic - swift at cleaning up etc. The spanish tend to eat at 8.30 so i would advise you to get there for 7/7.30 to get a table - especially if you are a party of 4 or more. If you do fancy a break from the hotel food - i recommend La Cacerola in town - 5mins away. The only negative i would have about the restaurant is that it is very "inside" - there is no view outside and that's a shame. But then, this isn't a hotel with gorgeous views over the sea!!

The evening entertainment - the kids mini disco starts at 9pm which is a little late for small children. Then it's bingo at 9.30 for 1euro which is fun, a bit of music at 10 then the main entertainment at 10.30. It was different every night - the magic show was brill, the flamenco dancing was fantastic and the white night - men vs women - was very funny. The outside seating does get a bit busy but if you eat at 7, then by 8 all the Spanish have gone in and tables free up. The indoor "games room" area is great for the older kids - pool table, xbox, air hockey, table tennis. The drinks on offer are good - beer by the pint, wine by the glass, cocktails, coke, and very kiddy drinks - purple lemonade, flavoured milk etc. Yes the drinks are in plastic glasses but that's pretty standard too. The kiddies play park is nice - a touch small but the kids love it. My negative with that is the swing is very close to the wall and the taller kids could break a leg if they didn't realise!! Person preference - i didn't like being surrounded by smokers but that's because i don't smoke and i'm not used to it! Also, 2 more small negatives - there are so many tables in that bar area, you can't move around. It makes it hard for your children to come back to you if they go to the park. The other negative is that there is no safety thing to stop kids going near the pool at night. I saw quite a few children running around the pool while their parents were slugging back free alcohol across the bar!!

Enough of the evening stuff.....daytime!! We had read the reviews before hand and had decided not to even attempt the pool .It really is small, the pool area is crowded (it is difficult to walk past to get to the restaurant without getting wet) and people really do get up at 6.30am to wait for sunbeds! they are on holiday, what losers!! (oh, and the British are the WORST for this!!). Instead we got the free shuttle bus which leaves in front of the hotel at 10, 10.30, 11 and 11.30 and takes 5mins to get to the beach. The bus does get busy if you go later - we got the 10am bus twice, the 10.30 once and walked another day (it's not too bad a walk when you know where to go). The Spanish don't queue and do try to walk past you to get the bus. Maybe the hotel could put a little queue thing up?? The bus drops off at Copacabana beach which is lovely and fairly quiet. The sunbeds are 4Euro each - if you go for the red post beds, you get discount at the supermarket over the road, and use of the restaurant toilets. Opposite where the bus drops off, under the irish pub, is a small supermarket. I recommend getting lunch here - they do lovely baguettes for 2-3euros each - turkey, tuna, ham, chicken, cheese etc. They also sell water for 70cents for 500ml, and large bags of crisps for 2euro. We spent about 16euro on lunch for 5 of us (use the red sunbeds and you get 15% off your baguettes). The walk back up to the hotel if you don't get the bus is actually ok - not too bad! our 4yr old managed it fine! The bus back picks up at 2, 2.30, 4.30 and 5pm.

If you walk through the town, there are some big steps down to the beach - this is a different beach, more touristy - with rides etc - and a lot busier. There is a burger king here if you fancy it.

The area the hotel is in - it's fairly residential, i would say it is slightly rough. I didn't feel safe there after dark. We saw a lot of police around most nights arresting people. BUT as long as you are back at the hotel for 9ish i think you are ok.

It's a 10min walk to the water park, 5mins to town, 10mins to train station (although i didn't fancy dragging suitcases through town so we booked transfers!). We got a taxi to Fuengirola one day and it was 28euro, train home was 1.95euro each and took 15mins! The crocodile park is also about 15mins walk (7euro in taxi).

The hotel does have some negatives but on a whole it's clean, the food is nice and we had a nice time. Would i return? probably not but that's because we prefer resorts and booked this 2months before we came as a last minute holiday, also, i thought Torremolinos was quite tired looking and am not in a rush to return there.

On a final note, all of the people who have moaned about the "rude" spanish people. Yes, there are a lot of spanish people there. Yes they are loud. BUT if you look, you will see they tend to holiday in groups of 10+ whereas us brits are in smaller groups so perhaps they do seem a bit more domineering. I, personally, encountered more rude, obnoxious British people (and their children who loved being able to do what they liked while their parents consumed the free booze and forgot all about them) than i did Spanish.

If you go knowing what to expect and with an open mind you will have a lovely holiday. We didn't let a few negatives ruin our week. Thanks everyone at the Griego for a lovely week.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Marconfort Griego Hotel? Share your experiences!