“Enjoyed our stay would stay again!” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo Colorado 26, 29620 Torremolinos, Spain   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #37 of 73 Hotels in Torremolinos
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Enjoyed our stay would stay again!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

My husband and I spent 5 days at the hotel after touring Madrid, Toledo, Seville and Barcelona. This isn't a 4 star hotel! More like a solid 3 star. The lobby was nice but still dated. The front desk was helpful .The hotel is geared towards families with children. The pool areas were very nice and maintained. The largest pool area in the center of the buildings stayed crowed and had quite a few children. The pool in front of the high rise building facing the ocean was much more adult oriented. The rooms were dated and the separate beds were a disappointment...must be a European thing...I don't get it! However, the bathroom was nicely updated and modern. The room safe required a degree in safe cracking but we managed. The food was good with a variety of choices as we had breakfast each day and dinner on 2 occasions. There is a grocery store out of the rear of the hotel across the street that was great for water, soft drinks, snacks, and sandwich fixings and past the grocery store to the corner a fabulous Italian restaurant that was quite reasonable. The beach is right across the two lane street, though you must pay to use the lounge chairs. We had a great time at the Copa Cabana restaurant on Saturday...the party was great! The walk to the lift to town took about 15 minutes but we enjoyed the walk along the beach with all of the shops, etc. For the price, I'd say you couldn't ask for alot more. All in all I would return to this hotel. And

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stornoway, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

The room was great - well maintained, clean and we had a lovely view from our balcony! The maids were also very friendly even though they spoke little english. The night time entertainment was fab but on nights when you just wanted to sleep it wasn't so good as the music was very very loud even with the door tightly shut! The hotel (reception) staff were unbelievably rude and unhelpful, they were very disorganised and at very busy check in times there would only be two people on which meant a very long wait! Our keycards for our room stopped working numerous times, on one occasion we had just come back from a very long walk, the reception area was full with guests waiting to check in and our key cards wern't working. We had to wait in a queue for over half an hour, just for our cards to be activtivated - which took literally two seconds!! The bar staff were very friendly though (one in particular), they deserve a mention. The food on our first and second night was great as there was a large choice but every night it was the same so we ended up paying for food elsewhere. There was two/three pools there which was fab as we just wanted to relax without too many kids screaming and shouting. The location of the hotel is great though - right next to the beach, shops, cafes and bus stop. Apart from the hotel, we had a great holiday overall! We would definately pick another hotel if we returned to Costa Del Sol :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Croydon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my girlfriend for 3 nights last month, on a half board basis.
I decided that, after 20 years since my first visit to Principe Sol, which I enjoyed so much then, I wanted to go back to relive some of those nostalgic moments experienced in 1991. Sadly,the Ali baba nightclub that was so good no longer exists there and is sadly missed as there is not much to do for us younger generation.
The hotel used to be a 3* but is now a 4*, but the only part I recognise as 4* is the lobby. Given that I stayed here exactly 20 years ago, and things are pretty much the same now as they were then (the rooms look identical), I would say that this is a disguised 3* hotel (as it used to be) and does not merit the 4* rating it has somehow achieved since my first stay.
Initial impression at check in was not good: Whilst we were queuing we were shocked to suddenly see hundreds of screaming kids appear all dressed up like Fred Flintstone marching into the lobby with an animator dressed up in a Fred costume leading the way, shouting at the top of his lungs, and the children all shouting the same in unison-it was so loud & crazy! What kind of 4* hotel allows this to happen? If, like us, you are looking for some peace and tranquility, this hotel is NOT for you.
There were usually three members of staff at reception, which meant that there were usually long queues and waiting times to be attended to.The check in process took nearly half an hour. At check out, we had to queue again as there was no express system for just dropping the room keycards into a box, like in some hotels in the uk.
Another thing I should mention is that to find out anything about this hotel such as breakfast times, excursions, etc you have to stand in the lobby and watch their screens for a good while to find out the various bits of information the reception staff have no time to give you when you check in. We feel that reception should tell you at check in what time breakfast & dinner is, and give you a map of the hotel. Also,a guestbook with all information should be found in each room.
So, we were initially given a room at the old and decrepid formerly Principito Sol self catering apartments (a separate building with rooms facing the main pool) This building was just horrible and depressing and the noise from the pool & entertainment area would have kept us up until late. We were not happy to have been given a room in this substandard, poorer section, so after a few minutes of deliberating what to do, we decided to brave it back to reception to queue again and ask to be changed. Staff dealt with this well and we were given a seaview room on 7th floor in the main building, which had a really nice view and was bigger and more modern. The room had a good balcony space with two plastic chairs and a table. There was a fair selection of Spanish, English, French and German channels on television. There was an empty minibar which was good for putting in drinks and snacks, but not very sensible of the hotel to not try to make some money out of it by filling it with saleable goods. There was a charge for using the room safe, which is not good for a 4* hotel.
Also, how can a 4* hotel not have any double beds? We had to sleep on separate beds, and this scenario was the same 20 years ago! Rooms were subjected to a cursory clean each day. Floors were not cleaned-just beds made, bins and towels changed. Thats it. There was plenty of dust behind my bed and around the toilet that was there on the day we checked in and was still there when we checked out!
One day I had to leave a note for the cleaner requesting glasses used to be changed as they hadn't done it (they probably just rinsed them under the tap). The shower knob had fallen off and someone had put it back in place so naturally it fell off when we turned the tap on, and we had to exercise to get water to come out of the shower head and not the bathtap. Bathroom amenities were very basic and consisted of a small bar of soap and shower gel of very poor quality which did not produce any lather.
The main swimming pool areas were overcrowded with hundreds of families with children taking ownership of the area by placing towels on the sunloungers early in the morning, and staying there until late in the evening. Staff did not enforce the removal of towels when there was no one sitting on the loungers. There were no complimentary pool towels so you had to bring your own. They could at least make some money out of guests by renting them out but alas no.
The pool in the rear end of the hotel was good and not as crowded so we stayed there all the time, away from the masses in the main pool areas.
I totally concur with the reviewer 'suraj1', regarding the comments about the hotel being overcrowded with children.The hotel was full of badly behaved (mainly Spanish) children shouting, running all over the place and causing chaos in the lobby, pool areas and restaurants, with parents not enforcing any control over them. I think that the hotel actively encourages bad behaviour from the children though, with its activities programme, which begins in the morning and ends late at night, after the evening's entertainment show.
Drinks were not included as part of the half board package. I dont know if this is the same everywhere else because I expected at least water & some soft drinks to be included in the price.
Reception staff were polite and professional and all encountered spoke good level of English, although not all were helpful. For example, I had a problem with the internet (which by the way is slow, unreliable and expensive) as the keyboard was in Spanish and the @ key did not work so I rushed to reception so they could help me solve the problem but the guy there was useless and couldnt be bothered to come over and have a look, even though there wasn't a queue, so we ended up finding it ourselves. Their internet is rubbish and inadequate for business customers. Another time I asked someone else from reception where I could print from and she said she didn't know which printer paper would come out from & when I asked her if there would be a charge for printing she said yes but I later found out that there wasn't a charge.
I recommend the Supersol supermarket opposite the hotel for cheap items. As for the beach, it was ok, but the sand was very hot and the water very very cold and not shallow.
Breakfast and dinner were very good with something for everyone. There was an amazing selection of salads, hot items freshly cooked in front of you, and many nice deserts for dinner so I cannot understand how previous reviewers can complain about the quality of the food here as everything we had was delicious and of a good quality. Service was very good too as there was always a waiter on hand and plates were quickly taken away from your table.
Overall, the hotel has some positive and negative points and evidence of cutbacks could be seen (cheap photocopy of their feedback form left in room; basic & poor toiletries) which let it down considering it is now a 4*. It is not a bad hotel but It caters mainly to families with children, so if you dont have any children, and you want peace & quiet then it's not for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room in the main hotel building
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Have to say our stay at the Hotel Sol Principe was very enjoyable. We had fantastic weather while we were there. I found the rooms a little bit small but were very well maintained. We will be back again but I think this time we'll book an apartment for more room. The hotel is also located in a great area near all the local shops and restaurant. It was a very enjoyable holiday and will be back for a longer stay next time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

We have travelled to this hotel for eight of the last ten years now and have seen it come on and improve with a great revamp to the facade of the hotel and more recently to the apartments at the rear of the hotel with the fine changes to the pool area mentioned already buy a lot of others so far. This year we decided to stay for eight days half board. On our very first trip we stayed in one of the apartments which at the time was fine but seeing the rooms in the hotel (which is where some of the others in our group were staying) we decided that we would spend the extra money and stay in the hotel for future visits. This has been worth every cent for years on end now and obviously we were impressed enough to return so many times but I must say that this year we saw quite a change in standards.
In defence of the hotel, it is fantastic for children and is a family destination. It was never the kind of hotel for a relaxing read by the pool while you sip your "refreshments". This place is all about entertaining children in my opinion and that’s fine once you realise it before you arrive. This is the sole reason we returned so many times. The shows in the evening for the children are also very good with the entertainment staff giving a great effort every night. There is entertainment for the parents after the children’s show but you may find the younger children are feeling a bit sleepy by then and in need of their bed. This is where the hotel part of the complex wins out over the apartment section. It is much quieter if you need to put your head down for the night.
With regard to the drop in standards mentioned at the title, a lot of people have already touched on some of the points I found to be a bad experience. We did not review trip advisor before we went on holiday this year for obvious reasons however I was very curious to see what others thought when we travelled home. I agree that the staff are under tremendous pressure at the front desk at busy periods. People just seem to barge up the desk even though there is a line of people waiting to be seen. The staff will actually stop dealing with your request or query and tend to an interrupting guest who just happens to speak the local language. I found this very frustrating and also thought that it was very unprofessional of the staff not to check these people and remind them of the queuing customers. I recommend a set of wide pointy elbows and don't be afraid to speak your mind as that's what it will take when you are interrupted when speaking to staff at the counter. I say this from personal experience on more than one occasion. The food was dreadful during the evening, both in quality and also with a much more limited choice than other stays for some reason. Food was often luke warm at best and some of the meat was either under cooked or burnt. One other review described the restaurant as a burger bar and I have to agree on that point. It feels cheap and nasty with recycled brown paper napkins and no table covers. Do not pay half board if you are staying here. Breakfast is fine because there is plenty of fresh fruit, cereals, juices etc along with the standard hot food you would expect in any hotel. Bar service in the evening is terribly slow. Somehow the guys have the look of incredibly busy staff and seem under pressure all the time. During busy periods you will need those pointy elbows again as locals or brash people with no manners will be served before you if you stand back and take it. On the other hand I actually ordered a drink one evening when I was the only customer only to find the bar man empty a full dishwasher, load it up again to the brim and then pour my coke into a glass and hand it to me! What's going on in this guy’s head? There were other things that got on my nerves but I won't go on much more.
I think it's fair to say that overall your children will have a great time, the pools, entertainment, and cleanliness of the hotel are all good points but our holiday was not cheap buy any means and when you are handing over your hard earned cash you expect the service to be much better than it currently is! I feel that we have had our last stay at this hotel and will not be returning again. I know the review is long but I wanted to be fair and not just slate the hotel in general. If you have two or three children and manage to get a great price on a "hotel family room" I would say take it at bed and breakfast only, take on board the points mentioned and if they won't upset you, go for it. Hope it helps.

Room Tip: Hotel family room with sea view. Contains one double and two singles. Room number ending in 08, (eg...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011 via mobile

Just back from the sol principe having stayed there many years before! Found it a great place full of atmosphere! Very family orientated! Had put in a few requests all of which were met. Spacious hotel and staff generally very friendly. Only negative was the constant queue at reception during the day-could really do with more staff there! Jo Aug 2011

• Stayed August 2011
shercock
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Went with 1 and 2 year old children.. They loved it, pools are great food is nice and the night entertainment is brilliant... doesnt start until 10pm which is a bit late but very good older children would really enjoy it.
Kids club: very good they take kids from 8 months old for 2hours in the morning which is great. for 3+ its even better they do lots of activities and its on twice a day.
Reception staff: Not very friendly, not much english, always a que at recption.
Rooms: ok in old building they are a little bigger but older, they are grand not 4star more like 3star.
Pools: Amazing.. 2baby pools wit slides... "2large pools.
Will be returning to this hotel again

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Sol Principe? Share your experiences!