“A lot of good and a lot of bad” 4 of 5 stars

Marconfort Beach Club Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C. Pontinental 2, 29620 Torremolinos, Spain   |
Ranked #13 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A lot of good and a lot of bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Staying for 3 nights as a 'mini honeymoon' with the new wife,

Location

We were pleasantly surprised as to how close it actually is to the beach. There is a large gate at the front by the pool which when opened, the beach is literally a stone throw away. with a few shops nearby and only a few minutes away from the town centre

Bedroom

We stayed in room 302, a double room with a side sea view. While it isn't the largest room I've ever stayed in, it housed us comfortably. Well...I say comfortably, the bed was rather hard and only had 1 long pillow between us, with no more available from reception.
We paid for a sea view, hoping we'd have one of the rooms at the front, but instead we were mainly overlooking a 'wasteland' and a University hospital, but we did get some of the sea so we can't really complain there. Would have also preferred more plug sockets. there was only 1 in the room which was designed for the hairdryer. (and 1 in the bathroom).
While we never rely on the TV in hotels, we only managed to find 5 channels that spoke english, Horror +1, CBS Action, Now Music and 2 local info channels. would have been nice to have a bit more selection even if it's not meant to be the central feature.
The Air conditioning was by far the disappointment of the room, as i've said to the new missus on multiple occasions, you'd have been better off with an old man and a straw.
However i cannot fully moan about everything, the bathroom was very well presented, very clean and all in full working order so thumbs up there. (would just quickly mention that the water temperature fluctuated VERY violently between boiling and freezing at the peak times (5-7pm)

Pool areas

The pool areas were generally very clean, we watched the cleaners scrubbing them every morning and night from the balcony. As always there is a jostle for the sunbeds and no proper regulation of the "Don't leave towels on the sunbeds to reserve them" rule. the Pools themselves are well kept and very inviting. I would thought point your attention to the Parasols. The hut where they are kept smelt worse than a dog food refinery and the bases were very dirty (when you could actually get one)

Hotel Cleanliness

Most people reading this will be worried about the 'bugs'. We didn't notice anything about this from any of the people we talked to. There are hand sanitisers dotted around the hotel, particularly at the toilets and entrance to the restaurant so if there are any bugs, it's down to people not observing good hygiene. Blame them, not the hotel.

I was looking forward to the restaurant and was not disappointed. 4 large rows full of gorgeous food, all fresh and very tasty. cooked and continental breakfasts, plenty of choice at lunch and dinner. and the desserts...oh the desserts...amazing. All the food is confined to one room, not like some hotels where it's some here, some there. Plus as mentioned before you have to sanitise your hands before you can enter. However, and this is a BIG However...
At dinner (evening meal, tea, supper, whatever you call it), it's a mantadory 'long trousers' rule. Now like most people i only had the jeans i came in, so it ended up being a pain to wear them every night. you can get away with shorts below the knee depending who is on the door, but on one evening, a lady (who shall remain anonymous at the request of my wife) refused me entry for shorts at the knee...fair enough. Once i went through and ate, i was APPAULED to see that she was letting in at least 10 (i counted) adults with smaller shorts than i did. Please beware of this.

Entertainment.

Most of the entertainment was in Spanish, (granted that at least half of the hotel was spanish) but there were several (not all) translated into English (and french on the last night) The activities were engaging and varied, from water polo and bingo to rifle shooting and 'sjoelbak'. Overall very good

Overall
The hotel is very nice and as a whole a very pleasant stay, worth recommending to friends and family. A shame about the negative points, mainly with the room and the restaurant entrance.
Thank you Marconfort Beach club for a (mostly) pleasant experience

Mr and Mrs Bowes

Room Tip: Side sea views not as spectacular as you would like them to be
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Antonio R, Duty Manager at Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear Phil B:

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion as well as your deference in choosing us for your holiday.

We are pleased that in general your stay has been to your liking, and also thank you for your comments telling your experience Marconfort, and from here we apologize for any inconvenience that these small details that tell us you may have caused, the hotel, as you could well see, offers information on standards and rules to keep a better environment, in general all our customers meet although there may be some isolated case that does not meet them in full.

We also want to let know you that we take good note of your suggestions, and just as we always do, we will get to work on them to improve these details, and also thank you for your sincerity Reaffirming that, although there are comments that may be alarming, in the hotel there is no alarm or risk of disease, as also saying that at all times we are monitoring and doing the relevant work to ensure a comfortable and pleasant stay to our client.

We hope to see you again soon, we are happy to greet you and put ourselves at your disposal in order to make that your stay as comfortable and happy as possible.

Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Polish first
waterford ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

On arriving at hotel the reception staff were very helpful. The piano bar is a nice relaxing bar with comfy seats and free wifi.
Downstairs is the magnum bar , which has an outside entertainment area. The entertainment staff are very good and work hard. The evening shows at 10 o'clock were poor enough and just about watchable.
On entering the food restaurant you have to use hand sanitiser . The food is repetitive buT the kids liked the pizza and pasta bar. On the Sunday night myself and husband had a selection of cheese from the cheese table , and oh my god we were both violently sick that night . We took turns vomiting . I would say the cheese had gone off in the heat. After been violently sick I was very careful what I ate and lived on bread rolls and fruit for the rest of the holiday.
We made the most of our stay and enjoyed the hiring the bikes from the hotel and cycling along the promenade. The hotel situation is lovely right on the beach.

Room Tip: Rom with a pool view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Antonio R, Duty Manager at Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Madmumto3:

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

We are pleased that they have greatly enjoyed the stay, and we regret that our gastronomic offer is not reached your expectations.

We regret that they have passed an unwillingness, if you can guarantee that cheese served at the dinner you mention perfectly meets the set parameters and thus consists in the health records.

We reiterate our thanks for sharing your opinion and hope pdoer see you again, we will be delighted to greet you.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Good location, food is reasonable but needs to be kept hot and meat needs to be cooked thoroughly. Never suffered from a bug abroad before and we go away regularly. Witnessed guests being violently sick by the poolside and along with many others we also had to endure it. Something is seriously wrong in relation to hygiene. We were also shocked at how many Spanish guests simply didn't wash their hands after using the toilets in the public areas just awful. The hotel needs to address the Dreaded Bug it is an ongoing problem and is isolated to this hotel within the local area. If any of your party are elderly please consider this as Ellie has previously stated. Would not return because of the bug.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Antonio R, Duty Manager at Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Caroline B:

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

We are pleased that our facilities and cuisine have been to your liking.

About the comment made about the personal hygiene of some customers, we regret that this happens, in all our areas there are signs informing of hands as well as various information relating to this topic, to wash, We know that the majority respects these standards, however we can not control individually to our visitors, but I can assure you that this comments will be some isolated cases, since, I repeat, in general and regardless of nationality, all our customers are well aware about the health, believe me.

We reiterate our thanks for sharing your opinion and we hope that we can see again, we will be happy to greet you and help make your stay more comfortable and happy as possible.

Cwmbran, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Stayed here in July for 4 nights. Good location, close to beach, live entertainment every evening. Food was varied, rooms nice and clean with sea view. But "The bug" ruined the holiday. Within 12 hours of arriving my friend had sickness and diarrhoea, which lasted for the duration of our holiday, I then caught it on the last day which made travelling home a nightmare. I do hope the hotel takes note of all the reviews re "the bug" and puts a plan in place to resolve this problem.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Deb W:

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

We regret that because of your unavailability not you enjoyed fully your holidays.

We want to inform, taking advantage of your comment, that the Hotel always is concerned about the well-being and safety of our customers, as we also guarantee that we strictly comply with all health parameters required by the law, also have a British company that we audited daily in relation to safety and health, which through its test and analysis ensures that you there is nothing abnormal in the Hotel.

Comment that this type of symptomatologies occur along the coast and thus consists in the medical records of the area, being the possible causes the heat, change of habits, etc.

We reiterate our thanks for sharing your opinion and we hope to see you again, we will be happy to greet you.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I'm going to start off by saying this review is written by a teenager. Everyone in my party got the bug! I went on a family holiday with my mum and dad, and all three of us got the bug; one day after the other. So altogether, we lost a week of our two week holiday and as my dad is a Dialyisis patient this bug completely wrecked our holiday because he was bed ridden for most of the two weeks. My mum and I were able to get to know the hotel in the last couple of days and the only thing that made our holiday as good and it was going to get was the animation team and I want to specially mention Norberto, who has an amazing sense of humour and helped with my translation issues to the locals which was helpful considering that 80% of the other visitors are Spanish. Lucy gets a special mention because despite only being 5ft nothing, confronted a aggressive Spanish time share con artist who was being rude to a guest just outside the hotel and also in general she has a heart of gold!. About this teen issue the problem is, is that at night teens can't do mini disco but then again can't play bingo so between the time of 7 and 10 I was in complete boredom. There is a disco on the bottom floor which is quite good, food is alright, mostly fish. Hotel area is in the perfect location right next to the beach and it's 7 euros to get to Torremolinos and 1 euro 60 on the bus to benalmadena. The pool area in my opinion is quite small, it can get hard to find an umbrella but not a sunbed. The entertainment is good, it's mostly Spanish but it's only on for an hour and it can be entertaining. The only way I would probably go back is if we were compensated with a free week at this hotel to experience it fully hopefully without the bug and therefore would maybe give it a second chance! The choice is there's!!! By Elie age 16.

Room Tip: Family superior rooms facing the beach and stage.
Dear 123Ellie98:

We regret that we have not been able to achieve all their expectations, as well as that, during your stay, have experienced unavailability, but I can assure you that possible causes to your discomfort are completely outside the Hotel and thus consists in the daily reports made by the British company that audited us daily all matters relating to safety and hygiene.

Personally I'll get your greeting to Norberto and Luci, as well comment do something spectacular and always with a close and affectionate treatment of customers.

We reiterate our thanks for your comments and we hope to be able to truly see you again, we are happy to greet you and put ourselves at your disposal to make that your stay as comfortable and happy as possible.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Just got back yesterday. Had a great time. I had ice in my drinks and didn't get the bug. I didn't over indulge either, which may have helped. After the cleaner cleaned my room I used domestos wipes every where. Just a couple of things I wasn't happy with ; the piano bar caters just for the Spanish, and children in the restaraunt picking there own food where they would drop the tongs on floor or stick their fingers in the jelly then lick said finger to see if they liked it. When I saw that my jaw hit the floor. That child was with his mother. More staff supervision needed.
The staff were really friendly, the towels were changed daily, and the bedding changed on a regular basis. The rooms were roomy.
The entertainment acts were really good, but the animation team would do a few games after the acts. That was even better but audience participation is needed.
The pool area was fantastic. Always plenty of sun loungers piled up. ( I didnt actually go into the pool because there may be a risk of getting the bug from the pool-wasn't taking any chances). All in all had a fab time.

Room Tip: We paid extra for pool view. We had 2 rooms for family of 4. Room 1007 had a good view right up the...
Dear Eileenm

Thanks for sharing your opinion and your deference in choosing us for your holiday.

We are pleased that your stay be of your liking and that you have enjoyed our facilities and services.

Our program of live music in the Piano Bar consists of 3 performances during the week, which are different artists being international music repertoire, we regret that it was not of your total liking this program.

On the supervision of children, we always ensure to notify parents if there is any behavior that may cause inconvenience to customers, and also urge adults to help children, we must also comment that in the vast majority of cases the supervision of parents is exemplary.

We reiterate our thanks for your comments and we hope to see you again, we will be happy to greet you.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I'm going to write this review as true and as fair as I can make it.

- The positives of the hotel were that the pool area was fantastic. It has a shop next door to purchase inflatables and essentials such as sun cream at a reasonable price.

- The food and drink variety was good and before you walk in there is hand sanitiser which everyone is expected to use.

- The location was perfect, it was right near the beach across a small road / car park which had local restaurants and shops.

- Torremolinos centre had a wide variety of shops and takes a day to get around, I highly suggest you visit it.

- The reception area was great it had plenty of seating areas aswell as entertainment at the piano bar

Negatives:

- I caught the stomach bug for 48 hours which ruined a lot of the holiday as I was only there for 4 nights. Despite using hand sanitiser before and after meals.

- The entertainment was mainly for Spanish residents therefore could not understand.

- We were told the room had been disinfected after catching the bug and it hadn't, the receptionist would not change the room until we asked the manager who couldn't be more helpful.

Places we visited that we recommend in the area would be the crocodile park and aqua land.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Antonio R, Duty Manager at Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear Lauren P:

Thanks for sharing your opinion and also for choosing us for your holidays.

We regret that coincidentally with your stay you had an ill feeling, but we can guarantee you that the causes are outside the Hotel, and thus we know in the medical records that are attending this type of symptomatology in all the costa del sol.

We apologize if our entertainment program is not to your liking. Animation program is intended for all nationalities, your comment, surprised a bit since most activities and shows are performed in several languages, with the exception of those shows that are purely visual, that are perfectly understandable.

For us it was a pleasure to help you in what we asked and we hope to see you again, we are happy to greet you.

Best regards.

Been to Marconfort Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!