“family holiday” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 73 Hotels in Torremolinos
Carlow, Ireland
“family holiday”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

stayed here in mid june as a family of 3 ,myself my husband and 15 year old daughter ,hotel is very clean ,food good ,but i am lactose intolerant so this was a problem for me as a lot of things had cream in or on them ,the rooms do not have a fridge in them , i brought milk with me but it went off in 2 day cause i had know where to keep it cool ,entertainment at night was indoors ,would have like it to be outdoors ....... the do have an outdoors stage ...... my daughter love the place she made some good friends ,but there was very little to do for her age group its about 10 to 15 mins walk to town .would i stay here again? NO

Room Tip: we stayed in room 701 it has a fab view ,so look for a room on higher level
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
LuisLuque, Duty Manager at Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear pmireland_11 :
Thanks for sharing your feedback with other Tripadvisor users.
Thank you generally have a good opinion of our facilities and I am very sorry that we could not exceed your expectations.
In relation to lactose must tell you that both restaurant and in the bars and also at the reception, we have fridges for the customer to stop needing cooling products, maybe we did not give good information, however, the hotel lactose-free products available that are available to the customer in our restaurant.
I hope you can change your mind and decide to come back with us.
Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Polish first
kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Returned to the Marconfort again with my sister Gloria.Jan & Maureen .a few changes but even so the management put themselves out to make us comfortable.Couldnt fault the weather,a bit windy at times but its the same everywhere.Liked the entertainment in the Piano Bar & enjoyed "the jersey boys. I would like to mention that I would of liked more choice of potatoes as not everbody likes chips.Thanks to Louise.Antonio.Paco & last but not least Hose on reception from-.
Mags.Kent

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
LuisLuque, Duty Manager at Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear magsKent :

We want to thank all of you for trusting again in our hotel. Three visits in just over a year is to be admired.
The chef will communicate their suggestions regarding laas potatoes, but as you know, we always have one more type of potato in our buffet plus fries.
Greetings to Gloria (I hope you have recovered from the cold), Jan & Maureen.
Hockley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I went here about two weeks ago with my sister (before when I came here around the same time last year was with my boyfriend).
It is a lovely resort; the staff are friendly, the food is lovely and the area is lovely!
Honestly I would definitely come again.

The beach is just outside the hotel.
There is a huge variety of food, from pizza to paella and roast duck! they do a theme every dinner so you have your usual veggie options, fish dish, meat dish, carb dish, vegetable side dish, pasta and pizza bar (this is served at lunch and dinner) full English, continental for breakfast. and dinner they have an extra option of roast duck, pork, paella, ribs etc etc.
They have bike hire free for an hour, which was enough time for me and my sister to leisurely cycle along torremolinos beach front in the bike lane which was lovely and we did this more than once.
The sun beds are decent and there is a lot of them.
I would say the only downside to this holiday was the people above us walking around in heels at 12am onwards sometimes to 3am (which wasn’t nice!) maybe put a notice in the room to make people aware that heels do make a sound downstairs!? and the fact that there is no designated smoking area around the pool which means you get smokers all around you, which is unpleasant if you are non-smoker, and although I don’t have children there was a lot of children around and I don’t think I would like my kids to be around the smoke. I would also say that the bathrooms are very dark and it would be nice if more lights were installed.

But all in all the hotel is lovely and cheap, you honestly get a good deal for what you pay for.
I would come back as even though there are some downpoints the good do outway the bad :)

Room Tip: high up and sea & pool view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
LuisLuque, Duty Manager at Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear kim r :
Thank you for staying with us once again at Marconfort Beach Club and for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We are so thrilled that you experienced yet ‘another excellent stay’ with us.
As a loyal and regular guest you will be aware that we are very proud of all our amazing staff and are just delighted that you think so too! We love catering to all our guest’s individual needs and pride ourselves on the ability to create a warm, friendly and welcoming atmosphere.
Unfortunately in the pool can not put smoking area because it is a outdoor área.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Marconfort Beach Club Hotel.
Kkind regards.
Great Britain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Have been to the Beach Club about five times but I must say that this holiday was the best yet. The food was great and the maître'd keeps unruly children in check by insisting they stop running about. (The parents enjoy a quiet meal while the rest of us try not to spill hot soup over the little darlings). The variety of food on offer was excellent and the chefs specials were delicious. The rooms are cleaned to a high standard and the staff are friendly and helpful. We took my 80 year old mum with us this time and the staff couldn't have kinder, ensuring she had a seat and offering to carry her cup of tea when she decided to go walkabout. We were in rooms 703 and 704 which were very quiet and overlooked the pool. The outdoor pool was very cold so it would have been nice to have a swim in the indoor pool but it is only open in the winter months. The hotel next door the Belplaya also drain their indoor pool in the summer so if you like a swim be prepared for a shock. We enjoyed ourselves so much we are hoping to return at Christmas

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
LuisLuque, Duty Manager at Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear BubblesGreatBritain :
Thank you for your fifth visit to our Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, we are very proud that our regular customers we comment that every time they come is better than before and this has been without doubt the best of all.
When you return for the month of December, we will try to surprise you again and to continue exceeding your expectations.
Thanks again and best regards from Torremolinos.
glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

just back from this hotel, never slept a night the bed was so uncomfortable, didn't notice until I was leaving that the whole of of it should have been tossed in the dump, the mattress was covered in blood and the base was falling to bits, the furniture in the bedroom was of very poor quality suitable for a 2 star, the food was awful not a lot of choice is was all a bit repetitive, the staff on reception was very helpful and pleasant, bar staff and dining staff all very serious a couple of them were pleasant , nothing to do in the area no bars near by, entertainment in the piano bar was every second night and it wasn't up to much entertainment down the stair was ok but the smell in it was awful, bathroom was really small not a lot of room to get dried in it, would I go back !!! NEVER ,would I recommend it !!!!!!!! NO ,,

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
LuisLuque, Duty Manager at Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear swivlehips :

Thanks for sharing your opinion on Tripadvisor, but I mean, that this review is posted by you with the intention of creating a bad image of our hotel, and I explain:
The photos you show the bathroom, are pictures that do not belong to her room and that you have taken to another room at that time was under renovation. Anyone think we can have a room in this state for use by the client?, If this is true, it is clear that once you have gone to reception to change the room, at least I as a customer, I would have.
In the other picture you show, shows a general view of the bathroom in perfect condition, it is strange then, that then show another picture altogether.
I respect all opinions of customers and try to learn from our mistakes, but never share a customer wants to intentionally harm a hotel, simply because you did not like the hotel.
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We did not book this hotel as we did not want a quiet Beach Holiday, we were transferred after their sister Hotel in the Centre of town overbooked!! The Hotel is right on the Beach, very clean and the staff friendly, especially the Receptionists and Bar Staff. Considering it was supposed to be better than the original 3 star hotel the food was not that clever, mostly overcooked and not a very good choice, I have never seen a Chef carving Chicken legs before! the Hotel was A.I so I could not see the point of having staff on the door before entering to the Restaurant, a little more emphasis on the food and less pontificating would help. There were no snacks available by the pool areas, apart from Crisps, nuts etc, Burgers etc were available in the Dining area. The Hotel is isolated and if you want to eat out or go to shops, bars you need to walk a fair way to have a decent choice, it would help if the Hotel ran a shuttle bus as the centre of Torremolinos is elevated and a long walk. Having said all this If you are looking for a quiet location close to the Beach and don't want to venture far this Hotel will be ideal. I would like to thank the Receptionist for sorting out the problems with the return transfer after the change of Hotels.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Christof528783 :

First I want to thank you for your good opinion about our hotel and apologize on behalf of Marconfort Hotels by hotel change due to technical problems in our system.
I understand that what you wanted was a totally different hotel location to which we have on the beach, but again I appreciate your opinion.
We regret any inconvenience it may have caused.
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I will start my review by saying that 'THIS IS NOT A 4 STAR HOTEL'. For anyone that have stayed in other 4 star hotels such as Sheraton, Sofitel, AC Forum by Marriott or Nikko Hotel, you know that this property is far up to that standard. I speak on behalf of myself and my husband's experiences.

We booked this hotel in a rush, was really falsely led by the 4 star rating in booking.com. I will give you my points (good and bad) as to why this property is not a 4 star hotel:

1. Booking - we booked a room with several requirement such as asking for one double bed and sea view with booking.com. When we reached at the hotel, we were given a room on the 1st floor, instead of one double bed, we got 3 single beds. The sea view that we request is not exactly sea view, we got a room that basically facing another property and far down to the right then we have the sea view. We asked the receptionist why we were not given the room per our request during the booking, the answer was that all rooms in the hotel was fully booked and on each floor, the hotel only have two rooms with double bed. So, we have no choice but to take what has been given.

2. Room - The room consist of 3 beds, two of them are put side by side and the other one was beside the dressing table. The phone in the room was not functioning at all. The bathroom is small, the holder of the shower at one point fell off the wall. There is bideh in the room that was not properly attached to the floor and when you use it you can feel that the bideh is moving. The water pressure also was very high, so if you are not use to it, it can flood the bathroom. The hotel provide 2 toothbrush with toothpaste. It also provide the shower/shampoo gel in the bath tub. Please bear in mind that these products are very low quality and it is not good. So, if you decide to stay in this hotel, bring your own tooth paste, shampoo and your own soap, especially if your body are sensitive to low quality product. The bed is basically not a comfortable bed like in the 4 star hotel. You can see the mattress is just a a mattress that is old. This is not good if you are prone to back pain. You can see also the type of furniture in the hotel is old and has been there for a long time. Also, you can hear your neighbor talking. Haha.

3. Restaurant - We were there for 5 nights, and I can tell you that the food quality and the ingredient is very poor. I will start with breakfast, omelette and churros are the only two dishes that represent the spanish local breakfast. Others will be baked beans, very oily toasted bread, boiled eggs, fried eggs (very oily), bacon (sometimes I can see that these were over cooked and burned), oily sausage, smoothies (loads of banana and orange juice), variety of fruits (good), few type of cheese (edam, rockfort) and few types of salami, breads, jams, butter, juice, donuts and other hot drinks. I feel that the menu is very poor and have high level of fat. At lunch and dinner, few times the restaurant serve pork, one time was beef stew, roast chicken, fish with sauce, chicken korma, chicken wings, burgers, hot dog, chips, rice, cannelloni, many types of cheese, desserts, fruits, salads, and at far in the corner, there are a place where we can have pizza, or spaghetti menu. Two times I went there to see the pizza, and I took a very burned garlic bread. I wonder how the chef has the guts to put that on the tray. When I started to bite the garlic bread, it was really hard and I gave up! My goodness! The drinks menu are OK, you can have wine (red or white), Sangria, Soft Drinks, Juices. I can see a duty manager that always walking around, checking the restaurant. Apparently, I never see him asking any guests there, very poor customer relationship skill. The cutlery were not really clean, you can see left overs of the food stuck on those cutlery from previous meal. I read several reviews mentioning about food bug, and I can see where is that coming from. I am glad that we don't encounter food poisoning during our stay. The way the staff cleaning the area also was very messy. You can see them just throwing the table clothes under the trolley openly, rather than putting it in a basket. From there you can see the standard of this hotel.

4. Bar - There are two bars, one beside the restaurant, and the other one is outside near the swimming pools. As we are on 'All Inclusive' package, we are entitled to great choice of alcoholic drinks, soft drinks and hot drinks. Soft drinks and alcoholic drinks are served on plastic cups. Don't expect this to be served in a glass with fruits on top :P.

5. Entertainment - the activities for the kids are very good. They have so many activities during the day and in the evening they also have mini disco.On top of that, there is a room with snooker other games. Near the swimming pool, there are another place where kids can play. The swimming pool and playground area is nice and clean as well. The indoors swimming pool only open during the winter. Definitely this should be categorized as a budget hotel for families with young children. At night, in front of Piano Bar, depend on the day, there is a matured performer that sing songs from 70s to 80s era.

6. Location - The hotel is very well located. 10 minutes by bus from Malaga Aiport (Bus Fare is 3.55eur one way and Cab is 16eur). The beach is only 1 minute walk and you can have a cheap sun bed at 3.50eur per day. There are a lot of bars along the beach. We needed a car, and the hotel arrange that quickly for us, which is good.

Personally, I think this hotel is meant to cater family with young kids and retired people with small budget. I can see that so many people rating this hotel as a four star hotel, but unfortunately for me this is not. People might rate this base on their experiences, and from my own experiences, this property should be rated at between 2 to 3 star. There are so much work need to be done for the hotel to be a 4 star hotel.

I will definitely not recommending ANY couples to stay here. You can have a lot of better options with much better value for your money. Trust me on this!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear h_michiko :
I will start by saying this hotel has a 4 star, compare different is that you compare us the hotel in different countries and other hotel chains, if I can say that we are very proud to be Marconfort family.
I have read several comments from you and the truth is you have to be very demanding, as their scores are always quite low, even one of the best hotel chains (AC Hotels), qualifies as normal, I'm sorry that our standars have not satisfied your needs.
As you well know, and I think all the hotels we act the same way, we try to cater to every customer request, but sometimes it is not impossible, as happened to you, because the hotel was full, but it is of being a "REQUEST", not an obligation.
From the description that makes our food and restaurant I think we have enough food choices and the quality is good, I invite you to please make me your suggestions to further improve our offer.
We believe that the Trip Advisor community will be as speechless as we are with your review. They can look at your review and then read more than 500 review before yours and decide for themselves. Personally I know that the majority of our guests experience fantastic service from a fantastic team that love what they do each and every day.
Once again thank you for your review.
Kind regards.

Been to Marconfort Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!