“Sick bug” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C. Pontinental 2, 29620 Torremolinos, Spain   |
Ranked #13 of 73 Hotels in Torremolinos
“Sick bug”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

I wouldnt normaly write a holiday review but felt the need to warn people about this hotel and the dreadful sick bug the have, me and my family (10 of us) have just had a weeks stay here and 3 including me had caught the bug ruining our holiday that we saved all year to pay for. I have never felt so ill and had to have the doctor come see me, i needed to injections a course of tablets and i'm still not feeling 100%. After just reading other reviews it has made me very angry to realise the extent of this bug and that the management are aware of it but not doing enough to stop the spread or warning people to be extra careful. I feel sorry for anyone who is due to stay at this hotel and will NEVER stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012
Antonio M, Gerente at Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Dear SMW, thanks for your comments on Tripadvisor.
We regret that during their stay has been ill, please be assured that we take every measure possible to ensure our guests stay with us here at the hotel.
Also and precaution, we are desinfecting throughout the hotel on a daily basis with a team only and exclusively dedicated to these tasks.
Your sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Polish first
Kent U.K
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I booked this hotel on the weight of the previous reviews, and also on the fact that there was air con in your rooms. The pictures also looked so nice and we were all so excited about our holiday.I went with my sister and our two boys, we were squeezed into a double room, and the bedside cabinets were in the corridor as we walked in, there was hardly any room at all. the air con did NOT WORK, and the heat was unbearable in the evenings, and what with the evening entertainment taking place, it was hard to get to sleep till late. The mattresses were so lumpy and not at all comfortable. The bathroom was in need of a little TLC it was very grubby. I dont think they ever hoovered the landings. The worst was when my sister came down with the sickness bug, then i had it the next evening, i have never vomited so much in my entire life it was awful, then i had diahreea as well. I personally think it may of been food poisoning, this was on Wednesday night, and it had now been 5 days and i am still not eating properly yet, and still do not feel 100% right. The kids entertainment in the day was also not very good, it was the same activities each day just at different times, and if an activity started at 10, and finished at 10.30 that was it till the next one started.Would never go back, and this hotel has put me off all inclusive forever!!!!

Dear Jelly :

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.
I want to tell you that the air conditioning was connected in early June and we have no news that in your room does not work, sorry.

Our clients’ satisfaction and well being is a priority to us here at the
Beach Club Hotel. In fact we have many guests who return each year to stay with us.

Our hotel implements an advanced Health and Hygiene Programme, lead by
outsourced independent experts and aims to prevent illnesses transmitted
mainly through food, water and the environment. This means that our health and hygiene standards are amongst the highest in the area.

Please be assured that we take every measure possible to ensure our guests stay with us here at the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you to our hotel soon.

Kind regards
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Myself, wife and 2 kids stayed at the Beach club from 1st-8th June. Firstly, not one of us caught the bug that is mentioned in so many of these reviews. There's no smoke without fire, but luckily we were immune!

In the main this hotel does what it says on the tin, we paid around £1000 for the hotel (flights extra) for a family of 4, that's approx £140 a night.

So, £140 a night and four of us ate breakfast, lunch and dinner, we ate mains and desserts, we filled our plates as often as we liked (the kids thought 2 or 3 puddings was heaven), the wife and I had wine with our lunch and dinner, we had cocktails during the days at the pool, we had beer/wine/spirits on tap whilst watching the kids jump about in the mini disco and then whilst watching the evening entertainment. The kids had ice cream / soft drinks on tap (again, heaven for them). We had all this for £140 a night! In Leeds you'll just about get a hotel room including breakfast for 2 for that kind of money.

So, if you're after value for money, being well fed and watered with a little cheesy entertainment thrown in for good measure then this is the place for you. If you want 5 star luxury and every little last detail to be perfect then maybe you should look elsewhere and put your hand in your pocket and pay for it.

You get what you pay for, and for what we paid, this little gem came up trumps. Yes, it has stag and hen do's (most of whom are very well behaved), yes it feels a little over crowded around the pool at times, yes the sunbeds are uncomfortable, yes it won't be as comfortable a nights sleep as your bed at home, but it's a holiday, make the most of it.

This is our second trip to a Marconfort hotel (stayed in the El Greco in Ibiza in 2011) and I doubt it will be our last. Enjoy!

Room Tip: We stayed in 715 which is a larger room (twin beds in main room, double bed in separate bedroom) at...
Dear Steve :
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the Marconfort Beach Hotel. It gives us a great pleasure to learn that you and your family enjoyed your holiday with us.
Bangor, North Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I stayed at the Marconfort Beach Club between 28th May and 7th June with 16 other family members, age ranging from 3 to 66 years old.

The Hotel reception and lounge areas were well presented, bright, clean and spacious and the maids work tirelessly all day long keeping everything spotless. The rooms were cleaned daily and to a very good standard. We stayed in room 501 (which was an end room so a little bit more space than some of the others). Room was comfortable, spacious, had a good size balcony, flat screen TV, hairdryer, shower gel and soap and excellent sea views. We were even given a complimentary bottle of water in the room which was replaced each time it was empty. There were 4 lifts covering 10 floors and these worked well but as you can imagine could get busy during peak times.

There are 2 very large outdoor pools (separated by walkover bridges), and 1 infants pool with plenty of sun beds around, and 1 indoor pool (may only be used in low season). There are also plenty of tables and chairs outside for you to sit either by day or by night. There are lifeguards on duty around the pool and the outside area is constantly being cleaned of any rubbish, cups etc. There is a small outside play area for the younger kids, a crazy golf area, table tennis and a gymnasium. There is also a shop on site selling everything from lilos, food / snacks, sun tan lotions and gifts.

The food at the hotel was very nice, and never ending. Much of it was cooked freshly in front of you and was regularly replenished and monitored for temperature etc. The desserts were amazing as were the fresh fruit juices and pancakes during breakfast. There is also a Pasta/Pizza bar which was great for my kids as one loves pasta and the other loves pizza. Breakfast was 7.30-10.30; lunch is 1.00 – 3.00; dinner at 7.00-9.30pm; plenty of snacks of toasties, chips, ice cream, cakes, biscuits, crisps, olives etc served in between the meal times!! All of a great standard and plenty of it. Drinks were served from 10.00am until midnight and unlike many other AI Hotels, you could have more or less anything you wanted (the only drink I didn’t see was Cider). Kids had their choice of red / blue / green / orange / purple pop, lemonade, coke, fanta, hot chocolate, milkshakes etc.

Entertainment/activities at the hotel was fantastic and was provided throughout the day, every day. For the adults there were darts games, pool, target shooting etc and for the kids there was, drawing competitions, pool, golf etc. There was also a games room, pool table, 4 computers with free WIFI and table tennis which were open all day. Mini Disco or Parrot/Reptile show for the kids started at 8.30pm followed by a Free Bingo then the evening entertainment (usually a singer, dancers, magic show, acrobats etc) finished approx. 11pm. Entertainment during low season is based inside and during high season is based outside. As we stayed over the end of May to beginning of June – we had the pleasure of experiencing both (and both were great).

The location of the hotel is about 6-8 minutes drive from Malaga Airport and about 20 minute walk away from the main shopping centre of Torremolinos (although there is a bus every 10 minutes from outside the hotel). The beach is just across the road from the hotel which was great and the beachfront provided a pleasant walk with a few shops/restaurants here and there.

We too experienced the rowdy behaviour by a group of lads on a stag holiday and I must say we were impressed by the way the hotel dealt with this behaviour. This is, after all, a family hotel and they were right in taking the zero tolerance approach to this behaviour which ultimately resulted in the crowd of 22 lads being evicted from the hotel after only a few hours of being there.

Unfortunately, a few of us in our crowd also caught the stomach bug that was at the hotel at the time. I do not believe for a second that this had anything at all to do with the quality of food or level of cleanliness at the hotel as (like I’ve noted previously) the food was freshly cooked and the cleaning staff were scrupulous in their duties: steam cleaning all surfaces, chairs, flooring, lifts, hand rails etc. In my opinion, this stomach bug was simply like any other stomach bug you would get in schools, hospitals, workplaces and hotels in the UK and at the end of the day it all comes down to strict personal hygiene and sometimes it’s just unavoidable. There was a hand sanitizer on entering the restaurant but I would suggest that a few more of these be installed around the hotel to help deal with the issue.

All in all, we had a great holiday and the Marconfort Beach Club is a lovely hotel in a great location. I would certainly recommend it to anyone and am happy to answer any questions prospective travellers may have.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 01,14, 15, 16 are the biggest All rooms have sea view
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Robertsano :
Thank you very much for your very complete review of the Marconfort Beach Club Hotel. I gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed your visit to the Hotel and look forward to welcoming you back with the same friendly service on many a future occasion and we regret that during your stay you were unwell.
Best regards
Croydon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I must have stayed on a particularly bad week, as I was not impressed by this hotel despite the raving reviews. The food was awful - there was hardly any selection compared with other nearby hotels we had stayed at (we ate out each night in the end - although the selection around the hotel was pretty poor too!), and the pool area had minimal sun loungers, so you had to make sure you were up early to get one. We found the pool area dirty. I would not stay here again, would go back to Parasol Hotel in Benalmadena instead.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ngates :
We regret that you have not liked food, however as you have seen, we have a wide range for all ages.
We will try to improve and take into account feedback.
Best Regards.
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Just back from this hotel and had a fantastic time. Food excellent, plenty at breakfast, lunch and dinner to choose from. Desserts to die for! Staff very friendly especially around the pool bar, always up for a laugh! Evening entertainment for spanish standards excellent. Piano bar area has plenty of atmostphere all day and nice for a drink before your meal and at bedtime after the entertainment. If you want a hotel that has plenty of atmostphere, good food and a good turn out for the evening entertainment this is the hotel for you. Although it is classed as a 4* hotel, the bedrooms could do with a bit more of attention, although the lobby, piano bar and restaurant are well presented. The only downside is the hotel's location. It is quite a walk to the main area of Torremolinos, but a stroll along the promenade in the evening is lovely and a taxi only costs €7. Will be back again, planning a long weekend trip already! There has been reports of sickness and diarrhoea at this hotel. I did suffer this one day of my trip and heard other reports while there. The hotel was certainly trying to get this under control, steam cleaning all countertops etc

Dear Guest :
Thank you for your sharing your holiday experience of the Marconfort Beach Hotel with other Trip Advisor users. We are very happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and I am very pleased at we were able to meet all your holiday expectations.
Blackpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

We have just returned from a family holiday at the Marconfort and I have to say on the whole we had a good time. The pool was a bit cramped and the sun beds could do with mattresses but everyone was friendly and the children had a good time. Having stayed in many 4 and 5 star resorts I can honestly say that although pleasant this hotel is mostly definately only a 3 star, 3+ at best. The rooms were adequate but basic and when my 2 year old had an accident the maid came straight in and changed all the bedding for her.

However, our holiday ended quite dramatically when 3 of our party came down with an horrendous stomach bug which I am still not clear of now. We could not eat or drink a thing for the last 2 days and I know there were many other adults and children within the resort who had become poorly as well. The hotel were clearly aware of the problem as towards the end of our stay everything was being sprayed with disinfectant top to toe, even the hand rails leading up to the hotel. I can't help but think that if this is an ongoing problem as it clearly is, the source must be something else, I.e contaminated water supply or something going wrong in the kitchens.

Dear Rjd :
We greatly appreciate your comments regarding our establishment and we regret that during your stay you were unwell.
Our clients’ satisfaction and well being is a priority to us here at the
Beach Club Hotel.

Our hotel implements an advanced Health and Hygiene Programme, lead by
outsourced independent experts and aims to prevent illnesses transmitted

We look forward to welcoming you to our hotel soon.
Best regards.

Been to Marconfort Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!