“Quaint and Quirky” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
Newcstle upon Tyne
“Quaint and Quirky”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This is a very Spanish hotel, quaint and quirky. The staff were very helpful and friendly at all times. We had been inside the hotel previously to have a look as there is a bit of history involved. It was originally built as a house for the Queen of the Gypsies who lived in a cave house in the mountains. The fireplace and main sitting area are modelled on the cave house and are really lovely to see.
Our room was very large, had 3 beds, and overlooked the back garden. It was very peaceful, but got little sun, and as it was 33 degrees outside was not a problem. The furniture was all new except for a rocking chair, which was a bit strange to have in the room but very comfortable. The only problem I had with it was the wardrobe, which smelled foisty and damp so I left it open all the time so that the clothes wouldn't smell. The bathroom had recently been refurbished and the tiles etc were new and an extremely powerful shower over the bath.
The pool was really nice, but the area around it could do with an upgrade as most of it is grass and trees. The groundsman watered the grass every morning and it did not dry out as the trees shaded the sun, so not nice underfoot getting in or out of the pool. We just pulled the sunbeds on to the paved area and as it was always relatively quiet there were plenty of beds to be had.
The breakfast was a toasted, crusty bread roll, butter and jam, coffee/tea/chocolate and a sponge cake. After a week it did get a bit monotonous, but I gather from the staff that they usually have visitors that stay 1 or 2 nights passing through and I probably wouldn't pay for it again. It was lovely to have breakfast on the patio, no scrambling for tables and waitress service saved all the hassle.
All in all, we enjoyed our stay, comfy beds, very quiet and extremely good location. I would definitely stay again. We usually stay in El Tiburon, I would say this is definitely a step up just for the room comfort and friendliness. Mainly Spanish and French guests, so if you want a hotel with a bar that stays open until all hours , this is not for you. If you want a peaceful holiday and a rest I recommend it. Can I just add that it was the only place I could successfully get free wifi too.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
ghent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Best place to stay if you need a place to stay and parking space !!! We always drive coming from the airport. We stay for a few days in Torremolinos. This little historical hotel has great, clean, basic rooms (ask to be on the ground floor) ! Breakfast is not really worth mentionning but you can eat breakfast everywhere nearby for a few bucks. 2 minutes away from the beach but in a quiet location with a garden, swimming pool. Nothing great but nice, just nice, with a true Spanisch feel to it. You can never park your car anywhere staying in Torremolinos, but there you can ! If they would update this place and give better breakfast, this would be invaluable. However, my favorite place for a few nights ! Close to all amenities, shops, restaurants, beach a.s.o.
Torremolinos is really great ! Better than Benalmadena, more spanish in my opinion.
truly love it ! Will go back !

Room Tip: take a ground floor room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Close to the sea front small but friendly. Rooms just big enough with a nice bathroom although shower not very powerful, pool area small but no problem getting a sunbed. If you prefer a nice hotel without loads of noise than I recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Halifax, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The hotel is perfect location to the beach and shops. We just stayed for a night as we were heading to Marbella in the morning. The room is very basic but this is first time I stayed in 2* so I accept this is what I should expect and rate it accordingly.
The staff were very helpful and the parking at the hotel was very useful for us as the streets were full of cars and I found it much safer to park within the walls of the hotel.
The pool looked well maintained although we did not use it.
Breakfast is very simple and is served at table - Small glass of Orange Juice, tea/coffee, a mini muffin and a very small toasted baguette with jam/butter. I felt they could improve this and provide at least a basic continental breakfast which could even be charged as an extra. Hence rated it very good rather than excellent.
Overall will definitely stay here again.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stopped here for a couple of nights to recover from a horrible case of jet lag flying in from the US. Lovely little hotel near the beach and shops. Peaceful garden with pool , nice breakfast, extremely great front desk people. Everything we needed - great start to our vacation.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Newton Aycliffe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I really wanted to love this hotel, we usually stay at the Tiburon which is currently being refurbished.

All in all I think the location was great, but the sleep quality, pool area and balconies let the whole place down and I’m sad to say we won’t be returning.

I knew this hotel was old style and had no problem at all with the older furnishings in Reception I actually thought it gave the place character. Check-in seemed to take ages but hey ho.

Bedrooms
We were initially given room 8, it was tiny, the ‘balcony’ was only about 10 inches deep you could not get a chair on it, it overlooked the ‘garden’ which was in fact just a back alley. It smelled really strongly of furniture polish. As we were staying for 8 nights I went and asked if we could change to a room with a proper balcony or one overlooking the pool, we were told not because it was full. Fair enough.

Returned from our night out to find 3 cockroaches on the floor, I found this very unusual as Ive been coming to Carihuela for years and rarely see them….. we complained and were told we could move rooms the next day, we were given the excuse that someone must have had ‘food in the room’. It occurred to me then that the smell of polish experienced earlier was in fact roach spray.

Next morning another beastie had joins us even though we had closed all the windows, and put towels around the door. Nice.

They moved us to room 11 which was on the same floor. This room was bigger with a large shower (no bath but not bothered), same tiny balcony and ‘garden’ view. The bathroom and furnishings were modern and well kept. The room was clean. What was missing was any sound proofing whatsoever, although the rooms had been refurbished to a good standard, the doors into the rooms were still the rickety old ones, ours did not close properly unless locked and had so many gaps in it.

You do expect some noise but we could hear the tinkering of cups on the floor below and if someone was smoking downstairs, it wafted into our room. I thought it would be really cheeky to ask to change again so we didn’t, but as the week wore on I wish that we had. It was so noisy.
The beds were uncomfortable and lumped in with the noise the sleep quality was very poor.
We paid €18 euro’s plus deposit to rent the safe which turned out not to be attached to the wall and could easily have been carried off, again I didn’t bother complaining as I’d hate to be one of those nightmare guests but now I think I probably should’ve.

Pool Area
The pool area was nice enough, there were a few sun lounger but the actual sunbathing area was grassed (a pet hate of mine) and mostly in the shade which was no use to anyone really so we didn’t use the pool at all.

Breakfast
OJ, tea or coffee, a small pre packaged mini muffin, small toasted baguette, jam, butter.
Served, efficiently on the terrace, can’t say much more about it.

Billericay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

traditional andalucian hotel , lovely building with large paintings and quirky ornaments etc.
very pretty terrace over looking pool area, rooms are basic but very clean, large shower.
If you want modern all mod cons then you wont like it, but if you appreciate lovely buildings and a little bit quirky this is for you, 2 minute walk to the beach and the shops, cariheula is a lovely place and we love it.
only downfalls at hotel was the breakfast which was a bit basic a croissant would be nice instead of a roll. and the bar could be open more and sell snacks , they do offer paella but they need 24hrs notice, could do more food.
Has its own car park which is great as parking is in short supply round there and has wifi .
Staff are nice and friendly , we speak spanish so able to chat to them. worth a visit

Room Tip: can have a pool view which is the best, have to ask
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Residencia Miami Hotel? Share your experiences!