“Three stars and a twinkle, but not four stars” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel El Fenix
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   C/ Las Mercedes 22, 29620 Torremolinos, Spain   |
Ranked #58 of 73 Hotels in Torremolinos
Malaga, Spain
“Three stars and a twinkle, but not four stars”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Nice room, with small balcony and pleasant views. However, not one piece of information in the room. Needed to phone reception, but no phone list. No 'safety' information behind the door, which I thought was mandatory for every hotel. Two wafer thin pillows, but got two more from reception. Bathroom layout was fine, but 'bidet' impossible to use (for its proper use), wedged between sink and wall. Threadbare hall carpets. Two very compact lifts. Awful smell of not too fresh fried fish, in reception. With such a choice of town centre hotels, I don't think I'd come back here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Washington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We got moved to this hotel from another hotel, lucky we were there only 2 days. The food was an improvement, but the room oh so small. the smell of dirty drains was awful, when you sat on loo you could clean your teeth at the same time.your knees fitted under the sink . the pool was postage stamp size. you had to pay if you wanted to use gym. I think if you all inclusive it should be in the price, it wasn't worth paying to go in. would not call it 4 star

Room Tip: we were on floor 1 had to wait ages for lift to restaurant on 6th floor. no good for people with moi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bradford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We arrived at the hotel late on a Thursday evening. Check in was straight forward thanks to the help of a great reception team..
The service throughout the entire week was commendable and even the food was rather good over the weeks stay...
The hotel was fantastic and the rooms were cleaned everyday with fresh towels and toiletries to suit.
Pool, spa and all amenities were great and I would be happy to tell others to go there..
I am booking another stay for 2014 as I couldn't fault this hotel.. Many thanks to all the staff and especially ' Carolina'
Jon and Kim

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I ended up in this hotel because the hotel I had booked in to was 'overbooked'. I am basing this review on the fact that I had booked a 4* all inclusive holiday & ended up in a barely 3* hotel with no all inclusive facilities.

My friend & I decided a 5 day break away in an all inclusive resort was what we wanted, this was not our main holiday. We just wanted to lounge around the pool, readi g books & drinking cocktails.

The hotels pool is on level 1 and just a bit bigger than a bathtub. The pool area was filthy. The only bar was on level 7, rarely manned & no more than a hut. So if we had chosen to sit around the filthy pool, we would have had to hoof it up 7 flights of stairs to get a drink of water?!?! This brings me on to the tiny lifts that very rarely worked.

The hotel bar on level 1 which looked really nice was never open once the whole duration of our visit.

We appeared to be the only all inclusive guests, the food to us was in edible, the smell of cooking in the hotel was enoght to put you off eating alone especially in the reception area which was directly above the kitchens.

No entertainment at all (not even music).

Wallpaper peeling off the walls in corridors & carpets on the floor that had seen better days.

This was not a hotel I would have chosen to book & ended up here through sheer bad luck.

It is central to San Miguel street (2 min walk) but to be honest that place has seen better days.

The hotel has 2 entrances, level 8 (reception) and level 1 (pool) from poll level, you could get to the beach in under 3 mins. The beach was a godsend to us & TBH is the only thing torremolinos has got going for it now. The whole resort is in dire need of an upgrade & seems to have been hit really hard by the recession.

The rooms in the hotel were ok, clean, comfortable & modern, they did not reflect the rest of the hotel. If this is a place for you to just lay your head at night, ok. Definitely do not take into account the poor facilities the hotel has to offer & don't expect the staff to be friendly either.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and l have just stayed at this hotel, wouldn´t say it´s a 4* ....more like 3* but we enjoyed it, nice good sized room and a big bathroom. Ideally situated with everything just a short walk away. Good buffet breakfast. Very good value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Stonehaven, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My wife and I chose the kross Fenix hotel as it was smaller than some of the other hotels in the vicinity. I read the reviews prior to booking and other than a few complaints chose to stay there for our holiday. We stayed for a 9 night period from 21st June to 30th June on an all inclusive basis.

Overall I would have to say that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The Staff at the hotel were very accommodating. We were allocated a room without a balcony and when we asked if we could move rooms they moved us the next day without any fuss. We then had a balcony the size of a football pitch which was very nice. The rooms were very clean and cleaned every day with the provision of new towels and toiletries.

Even though we booked all inclusive we did not intend to have all or meals in the hotel but I must say that the food that was on offer was of a good choice and tasty. They covered most tastes but focused more on the Spanish cuisine. Some times if visiting the Restaurant late the meals were a little on the cold side but there was a microwave available if required.

Local beers, spirits and wine served in the restaurant and the bar area were of good choice.

The hotel is in a prime position with easy access to the town and the beach and there are plenty of supermarkets, pharmacies, shops and bars within yards.

The only complaints I do have about the hotel if you can call it a complaint is that the bar area was badly manned and you had to go into the restaurant to get someone to serve you. there is also a cafe/bar at the front of the hotel which for the whole time we were there was not opened which i did not understand.

There was also a jaccussi on the roof terrace which I think they should rename to the Pigeon Bath as the only use of it was by them and with all the droppings around did not feel the urge to go in.

Please do not let this put you off as the hotel was good and we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony..... mind you most rooms do have one!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in September 2012 while attending a wedding in Torremolinos. (We stayed room only and so cannot comment on the standard of the breakfast and we did not use the swimming pool.)

The location of the hotel is very good; it’s about a 5 minute walk down to the beach and many restaurants and bars. The hotel is about a 15 minute (and 15 euro) taxi ride from Malaga airport, which is very convenient. The hotel is also located a short walk from Torremolinos train station, which is only ten minutes from the airport and costs less than 2 euros.

The reception staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel itself is clean and modern.

Our double bedroom was a good size and had a large bathroom and small balcony. However, the double bed, which was two singles pushed together, was extremely uncomfortable (one of the most uncomfortable I’ve slept in). The air conditioning was also very poor and the room became very hot during the night and so sleeping was difficult. I also found the bathroom quite disappointing for a 4* hotel (even in Europe). The bathroom wasn’t very modern and was lacking in toiletries that I would expect from a 4* (they only provided a few sachets of shower gel that was also supposed to be used as shampoo with no conditioner provided). There was a t.v in the room, but all of the services had to be paid for, which was again disappointing for a 4*. There is wi-fi available, but this has to be paid for by the hour. I also found the walls quite thin, as we got woken up in the morning by other guests and cleaning staff in the hallway.

Overall, this hotel is ok, but is more like a 3* than a 4* hotel and for this reason it seems overpriced (we paid approx. £110 for 2 nights room only). Although the location is very good, there are dozens of hotels nearby that would probably be cheaper if not more comfortable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel El Fenix? Share your experiences!