“Nice hotel, good food, but not so nice staff” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 74 hotels in Torremolinos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Timisoara, Romania
“Nice hotel, good food, but not so nice staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The hotel is part of a bigger complex, so you have access to a lot of pool, jacuzzi and other facilities. The complex is really nice and clean. You are very close to the sea, it is about 50 meters. The hotel is at a few minute distance from the Malaga airport.

The room was great, with a nice balcony and really comfortable. Indeed the food was not very various, but it was good. We stayed 10 days, so there were days when we eat the same thing .... but it wasn't such a big trouble.

I was really disappointed by the staff. I don't know what to say .... either they do not speak English or they don't want to. If you try to ask something, they answer back in Spanish without trying to explain what they said. And there was the attitude of most of the staff: sour and not helpful.

It is a pity, because the hotel is really nice, the have a good restaurant ... but they should pick more carefully their employes. BTW we met a really nice waitress: she was always smiling and willing to help. After a few days we found out that she is not from Spain but from Basil ....

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

527 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Polish first
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We have just returned form our second stay at this hotel and once again enjoyed it's facilities. The hotel is part of a complex that consists of three hotels which all share their facilities. This means you are free to come and go across the entire complex without restrictions placed upon you. You have access to 9 Pools, 1 Indoor heated, 2 kids pools, 2 Jacuzzi's and all the sun loungers actually worked.Though it was a lot busier than our previous visits, the majority of the staff managed to cope very well with it. The food was to a very high standard and there was plenty of choice. we went half board and you could exchange your evening meal for lunch without any fuss. Just go to the restaurant and show them your room voucher and they adjust it accordingly. Rooms were cleaned every day and the maids do a fantastic job. There was plenty of night time entertainment available at the complex though I only caught a few on the artistes, they were very good. They have kids club available during the daytime and you can also get involved in the sports activities if you feel inclined. look out for happy hours in the three bars. 2 Drinks for the price of 1. Bargain. The location cannot be faulted, the front entrance leads out to the main promenade opposite the beach.

Room Tip: You have to pay extra for a pool view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We went back to the Hotel Sol Don Pedro in Torremolinos in May. Weather was great and stay in hotel (where we'd been many times before) was up to its usual hight standard. Deal with DBB booked through TravelRepublic and extended through Melia's website by 1 day to fit in with flights. I had expected there might have been cutbacks in terms of the daily breakfast and dinner buffets but was more than pleasantly surprised to find that this was not the case - huge choice of food on offer, including Cava at breakfast. If anything food had improved considerably on previously and that was certainly value for money! The hotel was very busy, so it's clearly still very popular and it's not hard to work out why. The only thing that Sol need to perhaps work on is reception and ensuring that it's properly manned to deal with the large and demanding clientele.

Room Tip: We had a great room with balcony looking out to sea and Malaga port. All rooms are good to be honest...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed at the Don Pedro many times and it never fails to please.
All aspects of the hotel, staff, and facilities are excellent. It is close to the beach and just a short journey from the airport. There is miles of great walking on traffic free paths and promenades. Plenty of places for snacks and drinks nearby. There is a good town centre and markets at Torremolinos and nearby Benalmadena. We think that there is something here for everyone.
As always we look forward to our next trip.-

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Timisoara, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We spend our honey moon at Torremolinos (9 nights at Sol Don Pedro).
We chose a room with balcony having seaside view.
The room was clean. The food was diversified, very good.
The only issue was the fact that the personnel didn't speech English and their attitude was not very polite.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from 4 nights stay. We had booked the don pedro as a cheap deal, but I believe our room was in the don Marco as the 3 hotels are connected to each other. Room was 4 star (1045) bathroom was superb, huge power shower, temperature could go up and down a bit though. Television provided us with BBC1 and channel 4. Small balcony, only view was the don Pablo opposite. The flush on the toilet was quite loud and lasted several minutes, seems next doors was the same as could hear theirs too.
Not much variety with food. Would say no choice for children apart from pizza however we did stay during term time. Dinning room was always busy, seems under staffed, on our first night we'd almost finished our meal before being offered a drink and had to ask for cutlery.
Not impressed with reception. For some reason it took them about 15/20mins to check us in. Was told there would be instructions on how to use the safe in the room, there was but this was in 4 different languages, none of them English which is surprising for the Costa del sol. Went back to reception to advise them and ask for help, the receptionist said she'd already told me how to do it, which she had not!
Trying to get room service was a joke. Each room is provided with a brochure on the hotels features, the part where it provided details on how to order this was ripped out. Called reception, they put me onto another line, a man answered after about 5 mins and told me I'd need to call another number, I tried but this didn't work, called reception again and he just transfered me again with no explanation. Don't think his English was upto much! After ringing out thought I would go to reception directly, he took that long to serve the woman in front of me I got fed up waiting and left.
I would return to this hotel but I think reception are needing to brush up on their customer service skills. I cannot commend the dining room staff highly enough. Serving and clearing up the a smile on their faces and all very pleasant despite being rushed off their feet.

• Stayed June 2013
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Pedro Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Lorna 2701,
Thank you so much for taking time to write up your review on Trip Advisor. We take all comments very seriously as it is you, the guest, who can fully appreciate the experience of the hotel. I am concerned by your comments regarding the reception and I will certainly be taking action to improve this situation. I appreciate you bringing to our attention.
I do hope thatwe will see you again in the future and that you will find the experience in reception altogether more acceptable.
Kind regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Sol don Pedro & really enjoyed it. The hotel has great swimming pool facilities,bars & night time entertainment as well as really friendly staff. We only got breakfast with our room booking and it provides something for everyone. I think if your looking for the same food as at home you may be disappointed as nothing ever tastes the same when you away so I found certain things I liked and others that I didn't. The receptionists were really helpful and friendly & ordered taxis for us which arrived in minutes. Our room was booked to have a pool view and we had a lovely sized balcony which looked out directly at this. If your looking for a hotel that provides good services but doesn't cost the earth, I would highly recommend this one. I'm planning on returning next year again and will be booking in to the Sol don Pedro again.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear GrehanL,
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Don pedro so much, and that the service made the stay more enjoyable. I am glad to see that the reception was helpful and efficient as there has been a negative comment recently. That does not mean taht we won't be trying to keep imptroving though as I want everyone to have the same positive experience that they deserve.
We really look forward to welcoming you again next year.
Kind regards,

Been to Sol Don Pedro Hotel? Share your experiences!