“2nd visit - fab hotel but needs more sun beds !” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Salvador Allende, 45, 29620 Torremolinos, Spain   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #20 of 74 hotels in Torremolinos
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“2nd visit - fab hotel but needs more sun beds !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 4 nights with my husband & 2 girls age 1 & 3. We booked a junior suite with sea & marina views - lovely to sit at night with a glass of vino ! We also booked full board - food was tasty varied & plentiful & we found that as the hotel was mainly Spanish guests who tend to eat their meals late the restaurant was quieter earlier. It was also lovely to have your meals on the outside terrace. The only issue staying here was that there is not enough sun beds - yes people always reserve sunbeds but there are just not enough here - they are all taken before 745am ! We went to the sol Timor next door where you payed for sun beds so there were always plenty available. This hotel is fab but needs more sun beds !

• Stayed August 2013

931 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Polish first
wolverhampton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I rate myself as a fairly seasoned traveller, having visited a number of Mediterranean countries and a variety of hotels over the past 30 or so years. However, I have rarely visited a hotel which is as unwelcoming to the great British public as the Sol Aloha Puerto. I feel this is mostly down to the fact that the majority of its clientele are Spanish and British guests are the minority.
We booked all inclusive with First Choice which was a big mistake. Have been all inclusive a number of times and this was by far the worst experience of all. It's almost like the hotel are participating reluctantly in offering all inclusive. There were no snacks available during the day unless you fancied popping into the restaurant between lunch and dinner for a piece of fruit or a miniature tub of ice cream from the fridge. Lunch had to be taken in the restaurant. There was no option for snacks such as burgers, chips, toasties etc from either of the outside bars. And alcoholic drink choices were very limited. If you asked for more than a couple of drinks at a time you were asked how many people were in your room. The whole principal of all inclusive is you can have as much as you like! The service from bar and sometimes restaurant staff towards anybody wearing an all inclusive band was sometimes verging on rude.
The food has to be some of the worst I have experienced abroad which really surprised me because I have stayed in Sol hotels previously where the food has always been excellent. This was partly down I feel to the fact that there were so few British guests. Don't get me wrong, when I go abroad I don't expect to find a buffet consisting of British classics but I do expect variety and well cooked, tasty food. In this hotel what you ate for lunch would be presented again for dinner. Much of it was bland. For example the chilli without chilli. Much of the meat was undercooked and verging on raw, especially the steak and the pork kebabs. If you like chicken and pizza you will be fine because it's served every lunch and dinner time.The Chinese themed night was actually very good with variety and was very tasty but why can't this be consistent for every service? Salads were always fresh but I don't expect to have to live on it for a week. Fruit and dessert choices were always the same. If you like melon, pineapple and profiteroles you'll be fine but you'll be eating it every night! We have also previously been able to book picnic lunches when all inclusive at many other hotels but again this is not an option here. So on a day out to Aqualand, where you can take your own food, I had no choice but to pay extortionate prices for lunch.
The sunbed situation is ridiculous. To say the gate around the pool is opened at 7.30 am is a lie. It is opened well before then. On our first morning my son volunteered to get up before 7 am to go and reserve 2 sunbeds. He came back a few minutes later to say there were none left. What a joke! I don't go on holiday to get up at the crack of dawn so we spent the week on the beach instead. My kids were more than happy with that option in the end, as their inflatables were not allowed in the pool anyway. A previous reviewer said the lifeguard removed towels if people left their sunbeds for more than 45 minutes but we saw no evidence of this. Just towels left on vacant sunbeds for large parts of the day.
There are a few plus points to the hotel. The location is most definitely one but I knew this already having stayed at a neighbouring hotel in the resort last year. The rooms are spacious and clean but do need updating if only to add properly fitting toilet seats! You also get considerable noise from the room located above. Air con worked well but be prepared to be charged for everything else....fridge, safe, wifi....need I go on? The cleaners are the most pleasant of any of the staff who work here and do their job to the best of their ability. Don't expect the same efficiency from those working on Reception or the waiters in the restaurant, who prefer to stand around talking than clearing plates away or serving your drinks. Would I stay here again? Most definitely not! I can't understand why some people who have written reviews about this hotel return year after year. All I can think is that they have limited experience of travelling abroad. I feel very ripped off by both the hotel and tour operator having paid nearly £2000 for 3 people for a week all inclusive at this hotel. A bit of advice for those of you who want to stay in the area but only suitable if you are travelling without kids.....book into the Riu Nautilus next door. Recently refurbed and completely superior to its neighbour the Sol Aloha Puerto.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The hotel is in or of the most perfect spots for Benalmedena port, it'll located right on the sea front and as you walk through the lobby all you see is the sea on the horizon. Wonderful view. When we arrived we found there was no room booked for us by Alpha Rooms but this had been pre paid for an invoiced. Sol aloha luckily had a spare room for us and arranged by Deepak on reception who was very helpful. The extra cost was 70 euros but this was well worth the extra as the view was amazing. There is noise from people on floor above but don't think this can be helped. My family of four stayed HB for 7 nights, and my loon of 5yrs in general a fussy eater but I have never in five yrs seen him eat so much. Not bad food was a selection but not traditional English food which I found to be nice as there was a varied selection but after 10 days I think the vast array of restaurants so close by would need to be tried. We went on a dolphin boat cruise to see the dolphins this can be booked locally in the harbour at 15 euros each but well worth it amazing. There is a downside to the hotel but not sure how it can be avoided and that s not enough beds, there are about 200 beds ad around 1000 guests so the doors open by security at 730am and then it is a in to your beds, throwing or plaiting towels as soon as u can, I found I was in the que from 630am but in the end we flud this to be one f the very funny highlights of the week to just see us all run :-) not sure when the hose went on the floor if that helped. The staff are very friendly and welcoming, from front desk to maid to restaurant manger and entertainment team. There is another point in high season if you are away from your sun bed for more than 1/2 hour you will get a note in your bed and if not returned within 15 mins the towels are removed by the life guard. Overall this was a hotel in great location, beach, restaurants, nightlife, kids entertainment programme, shows. I would recomend the hotel and would consider going back but ill have to be prepared for the in bed dash but to avoid this their are copious amounts of beds on the beach an it's very clean and four steps from the hotel :-) I would also say that even if I was travelling with children alone I would not feel uncomfortable at this hotel as it is very pleasant with a welcoming atmosphere. Can see why people come here for 20 years.

Room Tip: Please request block 3 sea view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Wigan, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

this is a good hotel with ok food, something for all, entertainment in the hotel is quite good and although my husband and myself didn't have any children with us, the entertainment team looked like they did a good job with the kids staying at the hotel .
the room was clean but we could hear the people staying in the room above early in the morning ( sounded like they where walking around and around the room in high heels clip clip clop ! ) but we had a nice view over the marina.
we stayed at the end of april 2013 so the weather was a bit hit and miss so we didn't go in the pool but it did look nice.
you I stay there again ..... yes I would :)

Room Tip: pay the extra for a marina view room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The hotel is in a very good location, just across from the beach and marina where you have a huge selection of restaurants and bars. Which is good as the food at the hotel is very average in fact poor. We had half board but only rarely had lunch or dinner at the hotel, and ended up going out to outside restaurants even though we would have to pay more. The food is very greasy and I also had a very bad experience with the host there. We had a drink before coming down for dinner one night at the hotel bar and bought water for the kids from the bar in the hotel. The kids didn't finish the water so we thought we would bring it downstairs for dinner as we had purchased it from the hotel itself. The host refused us entry with this water, until we gave it to him so that we could order and pay for another one. He wouldn't take any explanation and I find this service shocking. If it was bought from somewhere else I would be fine with leaving it behind but the hotel bar has a specific glass bottle that you can only buy from the hotel, so the host would recognise the water. He was just being fussy which spoils your mood and dinner of course. The fridge does not work in the room unless you purchase 10 drinks from the bar. You have to pay €35 for a key to use the safe. Daylight robbery!!! The beds at the pool are not enough for the size of the hotel and therefore unless you woke up at 7am every morning to come down and put your towel on bed, you would have a bed at the pool. The rooms were not cleaned properly as I was in the room one day and they probably spent less then 3 minutes in there. Floors and tables where always dusty.

Room Tip: Choose above 3 floors for a good view ask for sea facing rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Newry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This hotel was in a brilliant location - walking distance to Belandmadena Marina. The room was clean and a good size. Large selection of local traditional bars offering food just outside the bottom of the garden and a wide variety on offer in the hotel itself - local and to suit Irish/UK tastes. Stroll through gates at end of garden and walk over the sand into the sea.

Variety of entertainment for children during the day and final offering at night to suit adults.

Will visit this again

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed at the sol aloha in june this year easy check in ,helpful receptionist. In order to have the fridge turned on in the room we had to purchase €22.50 worth of drinks ? strange system as we had already booked for all inclusive. room safe was €30 for our 10 night. stay. Spacious and clean rooms with views of the mountains and the other hotel at the side of us. We always take our travel kettle with us as we like early morning cuppas on the balcony, the rooms lack tea and coffee making facilities. All meals have an excellent choice of starters ,main course and sweets I would rate the food as excellent. The hotel said they could not provide packed lunches for health and safety reasons, sounds like a get out to me! Also the hotel would not cash travellers cheques, a local travel agent next to the hotel was happy to do so, but check on opening times as we were caught out on a Sunday and had to use an A.T.M for some cash. the usual story about sun loungers ,not enough and people getting up at silly o'clock to put towels on them ! the beach is just across the promenade sun loungers at €4.50 each no charge for sun brollies, as the hotel runs this concession a reduced rate should be on offer for all inc guests. entertainment was in the bar from 22.00 till 23-00 a whole hour of mediocre acts, no more to say on that, some activities during the day included darts,tennis, air rifle shooting, didn't try these so I cant comment if you are considering any excursions use the local travel agents that charge half the price of the tour operators, if you go into Torremolinos I would recommend catching a bus in walking DOWN calle st, Miguel then walking back along the sea front, plenty of shops bars cafes on the way back. I would also recommend the shopping trip to Gib. the market in Fuengirola, best way is by water taxi, and also why not try one of the freebie blanket trips, you don't have to buy anything so give it a go, we went on the Malaga trip ,enjoyed the city and Picassos museum. A word of caution for those on all inclusive package the snack bar at the pool end is not included except for local drinks, so when the main restaurant is closed no snacks are available. The exchange rate in the hotel for sterling to euros is poor so use local banks or travel agents

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sol Aloha Puerto? Share your experiences!