“A few niggles” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 73 Hotels in Torremolinos
scarborough
“A few niggles”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

A very easy hotel to find,just up the steps from the train platform in Torremolinos,look back and there it is,absolutely perfect,five minute stroll to the hotel.
Position is absolutely perfect too,no hills or inclines in the town area and a 50cent ride in the lift if you wanted to go down to the beach area.
Inexpensive stay as it was all inclusive,hotel not too full either during midweek and this close to christmas,just as we like it,no queue for this or that, most of the shops open too and lots of them,right on the doorstep.
Room fine, beds ok ,bathroom a little on the small side,paid extra for sea view and got that too,food up to usual standards plenty of choice and variation,weather was very kind to us,into the 70's each day with a little shower on the friday for an hour that's all, so why am i a little disappointed? Room was warm enough to sleep with the balcony door open as we arn't all that keen on airconditioning as it dries the air up too much,went to bed at about midnight on the first night only to be woken by a bottle recycling lorry reversing down the little access road at the side of the hotel lifting skips and emptying them on to the lorry....what a noise.The next night,bed at about 11.30,refuse lorry reversing down the little access road and emptying large bins,again what a racket,then later there were helicopters flying around not your little helicopters,these were like the American troop helicopers,those really big ones,and this just before we got up,third night we shut the balcony door but was still awoken by activity in the access road.It would seem that if we had had a room with no sea view,ie looking the pedestrian area it would have been quieter,although in the busier months i'm not too sure this would be the case with the bars being fairly close to the hotel.
am i being too critical? what do i want for my money? am i being unrealistic? would i stay there again? would i recommend a stay there? ...i'm still unsure,sorry

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

Being my 5th time to this hotel I was shocked at the drop in standards.
I booked in July for 5 nights from 27/11 to 2/12 with Travel Republic half board and paid for seaview. I had booked 22/11 to 27/11 at Carihuela with TR and paid for seaview at the same time.
In October I contacted the Carihuela apartments and was told I had no seaview so
I cancelled and changed to another booking for those 5 days at Gran Cervantes but did not pay for seaview. Having contacted blueseahotels the new proprietors I was assured that bookings would be met but on arrival the receptionist said no sea view but I had a pool view
and that I was to wear an orange plastic wristband for the whole of my 1st 5 day stay. I felt as though I was being branded just to get some free cheap house wine or beer or soft drinks. No thanks.
She had fastened it to my right wrist before I could stop her and when I tried to cut it off with nail scissors I nearly broke my fingers.

I was not too concerned at a pool view as I was unaware that since my last visit they had converted a disused part of the hotel into a bar area. Result was that they had started all inclusive deals with free drinks all day so the pool view side was a giant echo chamber for very loud hen parties (british)who screeched into the wee small hours and no action was taken by management..

The restaurant is very badly organised so each meal is a marathon of first finding where the food is, then a search for the cutlery as they are scattered in the dining room in no logical order. The food is fair but by no means of the standard of my previous stays. The free drinks are also scattered so by the time I sat to actually eat something I was exhausted!

In the bedroom the sliding wardrobe door was off its rail and my wc stopped working.
I phoned reception and reported it and asked to be phoned when maintenance would call
as dinner was approaching and I wanted a bath, I was told 10 minutes.
2 hours later after I had dined, still no toilet so I went to reception and was told me he had been before I left for dinner and that I was not there. She then claimed I had given the wrong room number.
I had given it clearly in english and spanish but she was so busy talking to a colleague when I first phoned she repeated the wrong room number and I corrected her then twice.
The toilet paper is like post war tissue paper and no bath mats were supplied or sanitary bags. The towels smelled as though they had been dried near cooking.

Only one receptionist was pleasant and helpful and the others were totally disinterested in customer service. The notice board stated clearly in four languages that the garden was open at 9 am but by 9.30 was till not open and the access was blocked with chairs.. I tried to see if there was an exit through the bar area and a receptionist shouted argumentatively that it did not open until 10. I demanded he read their own sign and repeated it to him in all four languages. No apology only a mutter that it was the cleaners fault.

I shall never return which is a huge disappontment after so many years of pleasurable stays.
The new proprietors will need to decide what their target clientele will be because the others I met there, who also had stayed on many other occasions, were so shocked at the drop in standards that they too do not intend to return.

Room Tip: Do not book through travel republic!! Do not accept pool view rooms.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

Stayed half-board in a single room for 4 nights. Price €127 on Alpharooms. Take the train from the Airport if you have little baggage - €1.40. If you have a big suitcase take a taxi. Escalator out of action in Torremolinos railway station.

Check in was fairly quick. Foyer impressive and clean. Room 310 had decent balcony wwith sea view. Room ample for single traveller. Room and bathroom spotless. Great shower, only problem shower curtain too short ,resulting in very wet bathroom floor. However, plenty of towels. No problem with bed comfort or pillows. Air conditioning fine.

Food was ok, not brilliant, but in fairness you wont go hungry either. Free wine/beer/soft drinks on half board deal. Staff were ok, not rude, well mannered.

Entertainment at the weekends only. Pool on the roof was fine, little gym as well. No problems with lifts at any stage, depends on the volume of people using them. Enquired about a late checkout on my day of departure, as the hotel was half empty and as my flight was late evening, enquired about holding room till 6pm --- they looked for €50 , which I thought was a bit excessive, so I declined, although in fairness they had a luggage room which I availed of till 6pm.

Area nice and quiet by night. Plenty of shops and pubs/ restaurants nearby. Would I come back again - Yes - for a few days. Hotel was fine and clean.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

This hotel was booked for a short break early November. It was all inclusive which after reading some reviews we were a bit dubious about, however we cannot fault the all inclusive deal at all. There was plenty of choice for breakfast lunch & dinner & also snacks during the day were plentiful.The room (447) was exceptionally clean & tidy & the balcony was to die for, 2m x 6mts looking onto the sea & around the corner 2m x 6mts looking onto the town centre, The sun was on the balcony all day. The rooftop pool area is fantastic you can see for miles.The location of the hotel was fantastic, a few minutes walk from the town centre, train station & bus station. Taxi fare from airport to hotel is about 20€ & takes about 15mins. Train journey from airport 1.40€ & again about 15mins then the short walk to the hotel. There is a taxi rank across the road from the hotel main entrance. There is a lift that takes you down to the beach which is a few minutes walk from the hotel. Come out the hotel main entrance, turn right to bottom of road, turn right again walk about 100yards & look out for the small signs across the road showing you the lift. You can also walk down to the beach from bottom end of San Miguel Street. Walking down is best & take the lift back up!!! We could imagine this hotel to be very busy during the high season & as it is so near the town centre could be very noisy, however during the winter season it cannot be faulted. We would highly recommend this hotel. Another point is that the hotel caters for the disabled & less mobile. Plenty of lifts & easy access at the main entrance of hotel with a massive ramp.

Room Tip: Corner room excellent as large balcony. Most rooms have a seaview but ask for one that looks directl...
Derby
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We booked this hotel as all inclusive, the hotel was by nowhere half full but still we had to queue for drinks for ages, there wasn't enough staff, which meant it was easier to go down to the restaurant where you could help yourself. Save money on transfers by taking the train from Malaga airport to Torremolinos where the hotel is just a short walk from the station 1.55 euro one way. If this hotel is going to be all inclusive they need to get their act together.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

What can i say, well to begin we planned our holidays with easyjet holidays and for a 4night break we decided to take a gamble on the hotels on promotion with them..... so so glad we did, initially we looked on tripadvisor at the hotel review and was slightly concerned if i am honest as previous guest review seemed to be slightly negative.
Well upon arrival from malaga airport, through arrivals go straight and you will find the tube.... one way ticket was 1euro and 50c per person get on the train for Feuingirola 11minutes later you arrive in torremeolinos... so far so good, up the escalater and if you look behind you... guess what... you got it you can see the hotel roof sign... THE GRAN HOTEL CERVANTES...... easy huh.... keep walking for approx 2 mins and go round to the front of the building and you will be greeted with elegance and style, the hotelier receptionist was extremley warm and kind and gave us a complimentry upgrade from full board to fully inclusive.... RESULT ! ! !
gave us a room on floor 8 which was like a penthouse lol.... great views of mountains on our right and on our left the ocean, truly beautiful....
the room could be updated in time in our opinion but this not reflect the quality of the hotel, great balcony views, and large room,marble floor in the new bathroom... with hot water ! we were given a double bed.. but in our opinion was definatley a king size, matreess was firm to hard but hey this is just a personal opinion.
Bar available from 11am to 11pm complimentry drinks and snacks at various times of the day and night, you will never dehydrate or go hungry
As for the restaurant...... arrived in torre 12stone.... left 4 days later 14 stone lol... the food was outstanding and flavour some you will never tire the fresh foods fruit yoghurts soup etc changed daily... more fresh bread than a bakery, different paella dishes daily, a chef to cook fresh pork/chicken/fish/pizza even burgers for the kids staying there, other reviews said they didnt like the food...... well our opinion is...... TRY EVERYTHING your not in your homeland so experience local cuisine you will enjoy.... oh and the fresh prawns and mussels cooked in saffron and garlic sauce..... a must.lunchtime and dinner meals were always plentiful... dont expect just a sandwhich and piece of fruit for lunch, they lay on a grand meal variation .... all buffet stlyle....... Fantastic
Plenty to see and do... in season they have cabaret nights and entertainment, but we went off season so not so lucky there, but plenty to do in the area.... or for free alchohol / soft drinks until 11pm the hotel bar next to outdoor pool offers wonderful views..
Housekeeping were every day keeping the rooms to a magnificent standard.. thank you

Do goto floor 8 turn left to the emergency stairs and up to level 9 for the outdoor pool ( covered) and Sauna room ....

Hope this review is helpful.... yes its a true guide on a wonderful experience... will we stay in the future...... next time we stay in Torre ...

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

We booked at last minute and as always with last minute you always wonder what you've let yourself in for. As with everywhere there are downsides, but overall this place was fab!

When we first arrived at the airport we went straight outside for a taxi, just outside the main door to the right. £20 one way, maybe a bit excessive considering it's only 10 minutes away from the airport.

When we got out the taxi and into the hotel, it's very impressive and grand, nice comfortable lobby and big too, plenty of comfortable seating for around 100 people. When we handed over our hotel voucher the receptionist was very quick in explaining how to get to our room which was on the second floor overlooking the pool, brilliant view! We met a couple who requested a room and got their choice, the "chat on the street" is that room 10 on each floor is the best, with a massive balcony and amazing sea view.

When we go into the room, again it was fairly modern with nothing out of place, could have been doing with some tea making facilities, but what costa hotels do have them? The room was fairly large, you could swing several cats. Bathroom was nice and modern too. There is a safe in the room but they charge you 3 euro per day to use it, but you are insured if anyone breaks into it.

The bad thing about the room was the bed! it truly is awful! All i can suggest is that when you do the whole throwing down the suitcase, DO NOT throw yourself onto the bed, YOU WILL NOT bounce back up and probably end up in a hospital with concussion! (OK so maybe a bit over the top, but the bed is very hard).

We were All Inclusive, so selection of snacks and drinks and they are as follows:-

Drinks - (Bar) - 1100 - 2300 (Drinks are available in restanrant)
Breakfast - (Restaurant) - 0700 - 1000
Continental B/Fast - (Bar) - 1100 - 1300 (Pastries & Cakes)
Lunch - (Restaurant) - 1300 - 1500
Snacks - (Bar) - 1530 - 1700 (Salad, Sandwiches & Fruits)
Snacks - (Bar) - 1700 - 1600 (Ice Creams & Cakes)
Dinner - (Restaurant) - 1900 - 2200
Snacks - (Bar) - 2200 - 2300 (Sandwiches & Pastries)

The food is fairly good for what you pay for and there is a massive selection, around 9 hot plates with a lot of different food every night. There is always a different fresh Paella and at the grill there's always a selection of fresh meats and fish.

The pool area on the roof looks amazing, total sun trap and an amazing view right along to Malaga and right out so sea. I'm sure if it wasn't too hazey you would see the coast of Africa.
There is an elevator that takes you right down to the beach, when you go outside the hotel have a look at the road signs and i'm sure you will find it. It's 50 cents, very cheap and saves that god awful hill! Look for the signs though or you won't find it.

It's not the best hotel overall and it's a big hotel so no personal touch, but if you look at it this way:-

I paid £207 for a four day (three night) stay, if you consider that you get a bed, you get unlimited drinks, unlimited food and a nice venue, remember are paying a mere £25.88 each per day. WOW!

When your going back to the airport, don;t pay the taxi fare, go out the back door of the hotel and turn left and walk along the pedestrian precinct, after a five minute walk you will see on the right hand side a building with a strange glass roof, go inside, down the stairs. At the bottom select a one way ticket to the airport (there's an option for English) pay Euro 1.40 and goto the far away platform. After a max wait of 30 minutes your train will come and you get off a further 11 minutes down the line. Very simple! (I'm an idiot abroad)

Have a great time and i'll definetly be back (hopefully they have changed the matresses)

Room Tip: Ask in advance, Remember room 10 on any floor. (higher the better)
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Blue Sea Gran Hotel Cervantes? Share your experiences!