“Clean & Quiet” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Costa del Sol

You added Melia Costa del Sol to your Saves list
Melia Costa del Sol
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo Maritimo 11 | Playa de Bajondillo, 29620 Torremolinos, Spain   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“Clean & Quiet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

A really nice hotel. As you walk in the first thing that came to mind was how clean and fresh it smelt and looked. Really polite and helpful hotel staff. The room was quite large, very clean and well equipped. A minor gripe was the bed was too hard. I normally like a form bed but this was a little too like a board.

Free WiFi goes a long way, as I always have my ipad/laptop with me and love to keep in touch.

Breakfast was very good indeed. Layed out as a buffet across various stations, there was a lot of it and of very good quality. From cooked breakfast, cereals, bread, fruit, nuts, cheeses, cold meats etc. Very good quality.

The position of the hotel is great, very close to the lift. The only problem with Torremolinos is that you have to either climb a large cliff by way of winding stairs or take the lift to get to the centre of town. Not really a problem, but when you're feeling lazy....

Overall a smashing hotel. Would definitely visit again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
meliacost, Dep. Hotel Manager. at Melia Costa del Sol, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
We thank you for trusting us and for your reviews as they help us improve our day-to-day customer service, we are glad to hear that your stay at the hotel was pleasant and you were able to enjoy the lovely Mediterranean Seaviews from your suite.
We realize that you have spent some of your time to share your comments as well as your photos with us through Tripadvisor and we thank you.

I am available for any future requirement, if you send an email to. -
melia.costasol @ melia.com so that we can respond as quickly.

Orlando Perez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Southport
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Just returned from 2 weeks at the Melia Costa del Sol (March 2013).
We stayed half board in a "Junior Suite".
Pros: Hotel & facilities were clean; most staff very helpful. Location good.
Junior suite was large, carpeted & had free safe & wifi. Balcony was massive with excellent sea views. Asked for high floor with afternoon/evening sun and got what we asked for.
Cons: Unfortunately this list is extensive!
The hotel is not suitable for handicapped guests - the main (and ONLY) entrance is below street level - arrival/departure by anything larger than a mini bus will entail dragging suitcases up/down a fairly steep slope - their are steps, but a mobility scooter has to negotiate the roadway. Inside the hotel a mobility scooter would have to stay in reception - the lifts are barely large enough for four adults.
The Junior suite was large and generally isolated from any noise in the corridor by several doors. Decent furniture and reasonable flat screen TV with BBC1 & 2 & several English speaking news channels. Large twin beds (very firm) with insufficient room to access the far one. (bed end too close to the wall). Large bathroom with shower over the bath - lighting poor over the bath and access not very easy or safe!
I would have expected a better bathroom with separate shower in a 4 star Junior suite!
I would also expect to see coffee/tea making facilities in a 4 star.
Food - Breakfast is fine with eggs cooked to order & all the usual stuff. Would have helped if the coffee machines had instructions - save a lot of waste.
Evening meal - forget it, go B & B. No idea what they were serving as there were only a few notices and these were less than helpful - "Soup of the day" must be some standard flavour that I don't know about! A lot of the food was warm/cold - I complained and got no feedback.
We booked this hotel based on previous reviews and were disappointed. I agree with another reviewer that "it's a hotel with no soul!"

Room Tip: Rooms on the outside of the west wing might be disturbed by noise from the conference centre - Afric...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
meliacost, Dep. Hotel Manager. at Melia Costa del Sol, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear User

We thank you for trusting us and for your reviews to help us improve our day-to-day customer service.
We realize that you have spent some of their time to share your comments with us through this medium and we thank you.

I am available for any future requirement, if you send an email to. -
melia.costasol @ melia.com so that we can respond to your comments as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This is quite a large hotel facing the sea with an outdoor pool in front. Beneath is an underground car park. The room size is good and there’s a small balcony with table & chairs to enjoy the sea breeze. The bathroom is simple with not much bench space but quite adequate. The big wardrobe can be useful and the wi-fi is free. A bank of computer terminals with internet access is located in an area for guests use.

The location of the hotel is excellent, situated at one end of the marine parade with the beach just across the street. Along this parade are bars, restaurants, cafes, chemists. groceries and all sorts of retail outlets.

The breakfast area is in a very large hall. The buffet on offer is quite substantial and spread out so it’s not congested even when many guests are present. Service was quite efficient.

If we pass this way again would definitely stay here.

Room Tip: Pick a room with the balcony facing the sea.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We thank you for trusting us and for your reviews as they help us improve our day-to-day customer service, we are glad to hear that your stay at the hotel was pleasant and you were able to enjoy the lovely Mediterranean Seaviews from your room.

I am available for any future requirement, if you send an email to. -
melia.costasol @ melia.com so that we can respond as quickly.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We booked this hotel via BA.com together with our flights form Gatwick. The hotel is good and lives up to its 4 star classification. Great Breakfast, varied and fresh, lots of options in bread, eggs, fish, cold cuts, cheese, muesli and an array of juices, coffee's &tea's. Topped with bubbly and you have one of the best hotel breakfasts I ever had.
The location is perfect on the beach near nice lounges and the stairs & lift to the city.
Rooms are neat and have a great balcony with sea views.
We rented a car and got a parking space in the garage for 11 euro a night.
We opted for the free Wifi which was fast enough for you-tube, facebook & mails.
Staff is friendly and helpful. I couldn't ask for more value for money

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
First of all, and on behalf of all the Hotel associates and myself we would like to express our gratitude for choosing us as your hots during your holidays in Costa del Sol , and for taking the time to write your opinion here on TripAdvisor. We are very glad to read that you had such a lovely stay, and we would be delighted to receive you again in a near future , in our hotel or in another of the Melia Hotels Intl. around the globe . Opinions such as yours are very much appreciated, as they show us that we are working in a correct way to satisfy our guests. Thanks.

Baldock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We have just returned from Melia, we stayed there for 20days. The hotel itself was very nice, quite minimalist with clean uncluttered lines, but the room was a good size with everything clean, fresh and modern. We asked for room with sun in afternoon & evening and were given just that. The staff all very helpful and friendly. The food was good, plenty of choice for both breakfast and evening meal. We found that sometimes the hot buffet did not keep its heat as much as we would have like it, but we used the microwave provided to 'zap' it for 30 seconds or so and were able to enjoy the meal much better. not sure what the problem was that it didnt keep hot, possibly the serving dishes/trays sat on top of the hot plates, but the heat was not getting through to the food otherwise it was well presented and beautifully cooked with great choices. Would-be visitors should note that this is not a holiday-family-orientated hotel. Most of the visitors were either there for conferences or business meetings or over night stop-overs for tour companies. the bar at night, although it had music via keyboard and singer, most evenings there were at most 20 people and majority of evenings a maximum of 6-10!
So, in summing up our experience, modern hotel for good for cleanliness, friendliness, room sizes and food but...... as a holiday hotel (families or couples) a hotel with no soul!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
meliacost, Dep. Hotel Manager. at Melia Costa del Sol, responded to this review, March 18, 2013

Hotel D. Manager.
Australia-Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed at the Meliá Costa del Sol with our tour group (Treasures of Spain tour), they ran out of the standard rooms so the concierge upgraded up to a deluxe room. We were shown into our roomy & airy sea view room with balcony - awesome. The hotel is very clean, good & friendly staff in hotel & resrtraunts, food at breakfast was okay but could be better. Beach across the road and on main strip, at night the place brightens up and lots to do and places to eat at. Overall I would recommend this hotel to my family and friends, we will visit again and can’t wait to see you all again, thanks!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
meliacost, Dep. Hotel Manager. at Melia Costa del Sol, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
We realize that you have spent some of your time to share your comments with us and all our future guests through Tripadvisor and we thank you.

Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

No one bothered to tell me that this Hotel (?) was undergoing refurbishment. Yesterday was pretty bad but today was the last straw. 6 solid hours of hammering outside, Fred flintstone must have bee workg overtime with his hammer. Its at the point of driving me to distraction. I came here because I have termial cancer and needed a rest from the Scottsh weather. Rather I would have stayed ND ENDURED THE SNOW AND WET AND COLD THAN THIS MENTAL TORTURE..The problem is no one seems to care!.
I have read the previous reports on this hotel and in fact they were the deciding factor in my coming here. I would agree that SOME of the staff are most helpfull, most especialy the maids, nothing seemed to much trouble for them. Some of the dinning room staff I found to be a little abrupt and surly, The breakfast was plentifull and eggs cooked to order, baken swimming in oil which is a little off putting!. Lunch was a Joke, ordered cream of asparagus soup and it was absolutely COLD, my sister ordered pea soup that arrived with hunks of chicken?? and fish?? Totaly inedible,. Dinner was like something you would expect to find in a corner cafe!! I ACTUALY put a shirt, tie and jacket on for the first night, others had dresses as well, after the first dinner I may as well have arrived in Jeans as did a LOT of people. This is NOT in my opinion a hotel for long stay, it would seem to be more geared now for the transient coach customers.and the passing trade. Pity, the decor and the rooms are all modern and very clean, perhaps my opinion would have been changed had I been informed in the first place about the restoration work. The cost of the hotel was NOT cheap, I had booked a family suite. Have no qualms about recomending that . Perhaps when they get their act together itwill become a peaceful heaven to late for me but Ihope others may bennifit from this review. Thats if the MANAGEMENT bother to read it !Oh lest I forget!! Because of my condition and my recent ops I needed a comfotable bed to sleep on, the one in the room was an orthopeadic one and as hard as concrete, the following morning after explaining to the young Lady receptionist the bed had been changed by the time I had finished breakfast, A fast and EXCELLENT response, and I had NOT told them of my illness so I amsure everyone would have recieved the same treatment. FULL marks for this.
As a PS, I am REALY glad that others had a good experience I guess I am just the unlucky one!! Wrong place at wrong time !!
Obxtony

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear User

We thank you for trusting us and for their views to help us improve our day-to-day customer service, sorry to hear that your stay at the hotel was not very pleasant because some of our services.

We realize that you have spent some of your time to share your comments with us through Tripadvisor and we thank you.

Yours sincerely.

Orlando Pérez

Been to Melia Costa del Sol? Share your experiences!