“Lovely hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Newcastle
“Lovely hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Me and my husband had a week here in August the hotel itself was really nice and very clean. The staff were also pleasent enough. We stayed half board where we could have either have lunch or dinner which is a good idea. The drinks in this hotel is expensive 13 euro for 2 vodka and cokes. 18 euro for a jug of sangria. The food at the hotel was ok good if your a fish lover salad bar would of been ok if they told you what they were they we're mixed salads but wasn't sure what they were. All in all I would recommend this hotel for its cleanliness and closeness to beach.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Pablo, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thanks for your review MandNewcastle. I am glad that the hotel fit the bill. I have taken note of the comment regarding drinks; we have maintained the prices of most of the drinks for a couple of years but will certainly bear this in mind for future price changes.
I hope that we see you again in the future.

1,056 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Polish first
Farnborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife and I returned to the Don Pablo for a 4 night break in July and weren't disappointed.
We'd stayed here previously out of season a few years ago and promised to return and we were so glad we did.
Last time the hotel was quiet but in July it was fully booked but still ran extremely smoothly thanks to the competent staff, some of whom I'm sure have worked here for a long time.
Check in was a little slow, but we did arrive very late. We got the type of room we'd requested.
Breakfast was excellent with cava available each morning much to to the wife's delight!
We were on half board and the evening meals were also very good with plenty of choice. We were also able to have lunch on our final day as we arrived too late for our dinner on day 1.
There is also a snack bar and buffet restaurant overlooking the beach but we didn't use this and it always looked quite empty in there.
The pool area is fantastic with a choice of pools and lots of sunbeds. The complex is made up of 3 hotels the others being the Don Pedro and Don Marco. You can easily walk between the 3 and use the facilities of the others so there are about 7 or 8 pools to choose from + indoor.
The entertainment team work very hard and although not a great lover of hotel entertainment, the evening programme here was a cut above the norm with both the professional acts and animation team putting on good shows. They were also performed outside which was nice.
This is a good hotel in a nice area just a stones throw from the fabulous beach. There are also plenty of nice bars and restaurants close by for a change of scenery.

Room Tip: Ask for a sunny side room if you want sun on the balcony in the afternoon
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Pablo, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear joke13,
Thank you very much for your review. You touch most of the areas of the hotel and I am so glad to see that you enjoyed it so much. You mention waiting times in reception: We have been working on this and have added computers to the front desk to allow more people to work at a time and hope that this will go a long way to resolving the issue.
I sincerely hope taht we see you at the Don Pablo again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Sol Don Pablo - Myself and my two daughters (age 6 and 3 years) stopped here 6th - 13th August 2013. The hotel and grounds are fantastic. Very clean and comfortable. We stopped on a bed & breakfast basis. The choice on offer for breakfast was fantastic ranging from fruit, cereals, breads, meats, yoghurts and cooked foods, all good quality. The rooms were clean, comfortable and had everything we needed and our room was cleaned every day. The staff were fantastic. Helpful, friendly and courteous. Kids disco from 9pm till 9.30pm then entertainment for adults until 11.30pm. Kids club also available during the day. All round a very good hotel situated just across a small road from the beach. I would highly recommend a stop here.

Room Tip: Poolside/beach view rooms give excellent views. Music/entertainment venue located on poolside rooms...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Garrchar,
Thank you so much for taking time to tell everyone about your stay at the Sol Don Pablo. It is great to hear that you and the kids enjoyed yourselves so much. I really hope that we see you again.
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

stayed here for a week at the beginning of July. Found the staff very helpful and accommodating. We had a half board package and the meals were good and plentiful. Entertainment every night for all the family to enjoy. All in all a nice break.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for letting us all know about your stay David H. I am really glad that you enjoyed it and hope to see you again in the future.
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We have just returned from our 7 night stay at the Sol Don Pablo between 2nd-9th August 2013, as a family of two adults and one child (11 y/o). We had a great holiday at this hotel and would highly recommend it.

The food in this hotel particularly stood out, having never been full board before we were slightly apprehensive but so pleasantly surprised as it was fantastic! My husband is diabetic and a vegetarian (he eats fish) so we were a little worried about his choices but he was so happy with everything. It was great that the hotel caters for so many different people, with huge varieties of diabetic sugar free desserts which we would never usually find. The food really was amazing as there was such a massive variety which changed every day and did not get boring. We felt that a downside would be that you are limited to only the one restaurant and do not get a chance to explore other places, but each day felt like you were dining in a different place as the choice was always different. After walking along the front and noticing that the restaurant menus were rather expensive anyway we felt that we had exceptional value eating at the hotel. For breakfast there would be a huge array of fresh fruit, cereal, pastries, croissants, churros, donuts, cheeses and cold meats, toast and cooked breakfast with every type of egg you could ask for which could be cooked fresh if you preferred. Also with breakfast you could have unlimited tea, coffee, fruit juices or even sparkling wine which was a very nice touch. For lunch and dinner there was many different types of meat and fish which were all fantastic, we got to try so many new things and couldn't fault anything. One thing we loved was the massive array of fresh salads on offer, more than you can imagine! There is also an Italian corner with different pizzas and pastas although we didn't really have this as we loved the Spanish style food. No drinks are included with lunch or dinner, we just ordered bottles of water with ours which wasn't too expensive.

Although the food was fantastic I would recommend going on a half board basis as we chose full board and simply ate far too much! The great thing is that they allow you to choose and swap between having lunch or dinner along with your breakfast and I think that two meals would have been more than enough - my husband and I have come back weighing far more than we did before we arrived!

The restaurant was exceptionally clean with fresh linen tablecloths for every family and good quality crockery and cutlery, and we did not find a single dirty plate or utensil throughout the whole week which was very good. One thing that particularly struck me was how efficient the waiting staff are, they all worked tirelessly as a team to ensure the best dining experience.

The hotels have happy hours at certain times where you get 2 for 1 drinks which makes it better value and worth doing before you go to dinner, the cocktails are lovely! Mini bar was empty on arrival and they leave a card for you to indicate items to stock it with if required, although we stocked it with our own from the Mercadona supermarket located behind the hotel Isabel. Would highly recommend trips to the supermarket only about 5 minutes walk away as drinks and food items are a fraction of the cost of the shops along the front, just for example a can of Fanta is 1.5 euro in a shop along the front versus 30 cents in the Mercadona. We bought wine and sangria from here and had a drink on our balcony to save the cost of using the bar some nights. Fortunately our room (118) had a balcony right over the terrace which overlooked the shows and it felt like we had a royal box! Most of the rooms with a side sea view have good views of the entertainment without having to pay for drinks down at the bar area, which was a definite plus! However, if you are looking to have a bit of peace and quiet or an early night then I would ask for a hotel away from the entertainment, as although this finishes by 12 it became very loud between 10.15 - 11.30 pm during the main shows which could be a problem with young children. I believe that all of the rooms with 'side sea view' overlook the entertainment.

The room itself was lovely, with a fantastic walk in shower which was very powerful and exceptionally clean. The towels were changed every day and the bed linen three times over the course of the week, with the room being cleaned every day.

All of the staff were friendly and professional and gave us good service. They could speak English however they welcome you to practice your Spanish and help you with phrases which was great for me as I have been recently learning and the staff respond very well.

The pools were lovely and clean, we used most of the pools on the complex and my son also used the indoor pool. I particularly liked the shaded areas under the canopy which was a very good idea to get out of the sun for a while. Although some people were 'reserving' sunbeds using their towels there were still plenty to go around and we never had a problem finding any. The grounds of the hotels were beautiful, all the greenery and flowers gave it a peaceful feel and it was lovely seeing wild parrots in the trees. One thing we liked is that you can freely go between all of the different facilities of the three hotels without any restriction.

Torremolinos was a lovely place in general, having never stayed there before I had the impression it was quite 'touristy' but in fact it was a very authentic Spanish area which we loved, lots to see, particularly in the older part of the town which I would recommend a walk up to, just head towards the back and up the steps (and burn off a little of dinner too!), lots of nice shopping and pretty buildings which reminded me of Mijas. Torremolinos is very very clean, and I preferred the area to Fuengirola/Los Boliches where I usually stay.

We paid 16 euros from the airport to the hotel using a taxi from the rank outside arrivals, they display set tariffs on boards next to the taxis which was useful. It is only a 15 minute journey from the aiport. We were a little disappointed that the taxis waiting outside the hotel charged us 22 euros from the same journey back to the airport, however, so it may be worth calling to arrange a price beforehand.

One more thing to mention is that there is a resident artist at the hotel Pablo and Pedro named Ingrid, she offers pastel portraits which she draws from a photo - we had one of our son and it was absolutely amazing and more lifelike than the photo itself! You can see some of her work displayed in the foyers and she is very talented.

Overall we loved the hotel and area and would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jess H,
I am assuming from your article that you must be a travel writer! There is so much detail about every aspect of the hotel and locality. Thank you so much for taking the time to put all your experiences down in writing.
I am so happy that you enjoyed the stay despite having too much to eat! I eat in the hotel every day and have become expert in only taking small portions from the buffet but it isn't easy!
Just one point that I would like to clarify: Half of the standard rooms (which have side sea view) look over the entertainment and the other half do not; so it is possible to choose either the quiet side or the entertainment side. A lot of people actually watch the entertainment from their balcony.
I hope taht we see you again and thank you for the great review.
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Came to this hotel in July 2012 with my daughter for her 18th birthday treat and I'm due back next week with my son. Found the check-in quick, room was excellent.....good size and clean and a good position. Many Spanish guests which I found reassuring. Never found a problem getting a bed or parasol. Food was also excellent and I certainly gained a few pounds! Evening entertainment was a bit hit and miss but generally very good. Found the free Wi-Fi in reception very handy for keeping in touch with family. Was very nice to see the manager taking the time to walk round the hotel, checking that everything was ok. Only little complaint I have, is that the lifts took ages. (and some restaurant staff looked very miserable)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear jo m,
Thank you for your review and your repeat custom (I see that you are coming back already). We are looking into the lift issue and will do what we can to speed it up. At peak mealtimes we can have an issue.
I am glad that you are happy with the hotel and look forward to your next visit.
Doncaster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We have been to this hotel 3 times now, and this year, after visiting a different hotel, I felt I had to comment how good the sol Pablo complex really is. The location is excellent, the food lovely, the staff very friendly. I love the reception area. The pools and sunbeds are great and plentiful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear PeteBDoncaster,
Thanks for letting everyone know how much you like the Don Pablo, especially after going elsewhere to test the waters! We hope to see you again soon.
Jaime Floyer.

Been to Sol Don Pablo? Share your experiences!