“Change from Don Pablo” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“Change from Don Pablo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed in the Don Pablo two years ago and I have to say it was the best holiday I have ever had. This is not just one hotel it is a complex of three hotels and a Spa with the most fantastic ground, pools and places just to sit or lie in the sun. I did not have one complaint about anything which was the reason for our return this year. However we were unable to get into the Don Pablo so we booked the Don Pedro and what a difference. First of all we were put into a room on the ground floor but it was more like a basement. You could not go out on the so called balcony or open your curtains as you were just faced with trees and a concrete wall about six feet high. After complaining we were eventually moved from this room two days later, the room we were given was fantastic, loads of room and a great view as well. We also found a big difference in the food, there was not a lot of choice at night unless you liked fish. The food was cold a lot of the time the soup was like coloured water. The entertainment at night was very good a lot of the time except the main acts were not on long enough. The children's show could be a little earlier and the main show could begin about 9 pm and go on to about 11.30 pm. Also there could be a bit more variety maybe a live band or Karaoke. I know this review may sound harsh and of-putting but this is not what I want to do I just want the Don Pedro to see this review and bring themselves up to the standard of the Don Pablo I would still recommend this complex to friends and family because of the many pools, the day time entertainment, the kids club and the fantastic grounds and sun terraces.

Mr & Mrs Conroy Belfast

Room Tip: Don't take a room on the ground floor of the Don Pedro.
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Pablo, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear linkel,
It is always good to hear back from regular guests. I appreciate you writing in and, as you know, we always pay attention to all comments, both good and bad. For those uninitiated in the Don Hotels Complex who are reading this, please note that this review is actually of the sister hotel, the Don Pedro; not the Don Pablo.
Firstly, I am sorry about your first room. There are eight rooms in the Don Pedro in this wing which we only occupy when we are completely full. The rooms themselves are every bit as good as all the standard rooms in the hotel but the view is nothing like the beautiful views available in other rooms in the hotel. I am glad that you were relocated and I am sorry that you were so dissappointed.
I would like to make clear that the Don Pedro room rates are quite a lot lower than those of the Don Pablo and as such the Don Pedro is not intended to be of the same standard as the Don Pablo. I do take on board your comments regarding cold food, however, and will act to rectify it. I appreciate you bringing it to our attention.
The entertainment in the Don Hotels is performed jointly with live music for dancing or relaxing in the Don Pedro and the big shows on the Don Pablo terrace (in summer). Unfortunately it is very difficult to time the shows to everyone's liking as we have so many nationalities in the hotels and each has a different timetable. In summer we have a lot of Spanish guests who are only going in to eat at 9 p.m. and do not want to miss the show. Ideally we could go on later but then there are those guests who want quiet later in the evening. The current timing is the best compromise that we have found so far.
Again, thank you for reporting on your stay. Your comments will be used to help us improve. Please come back soon.
Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Polish first
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Having tried Don Pedro we thought we would try this one for a change.
The only real complaints were the noise from adjoining rooms, The walls must be very thin, we had a familly in the next room and the baby was having trouble sleeping. But it did not bother us too much.
There seemed to be a shortage of towels in this hotel as we were left with only one between two of us and one day the towel that was left had holes in it!
On the plus side the bathroom in this hotel was very nice with a walk in shower and very modern fittings.The hotel staff were very pleasant as usual, especially the pool staff, and the hotel is very very clean.
Overall we had a very nice time here and will be going back

Room Tip: Don't pay for Wi Fi as it is free in the public areas. Best signal is found in the don pedro hot...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

All this hotel needs for me to give it a 5 is a facelift.The location cannot be beat with multiple pools on property and a very short walk to the beach. The beach never got that crowded either, even during high season. There are plenty of shops and restaurants nearby to keep you entertained as well. It clearly hasn't had an upgrade since its building in 1974, but everything is clean and in working order. The staff is quite unhelpful, but I find that's generally a Spanish rule so this isn't an exception. Caution, if you are looking for authentic Spanish surroundings, you won't find it in this town as most of the visitors are from Northern Europe. This particular hotel area is dominated by UK visitors. If you are traveling with little kids, there is plenty for them to do to keep happy. If you are not, there are plenty of things to keep adults busy too! A bonus 2x1 happy hour isn't such a bad deal either.

Room Tip: Rooms NOT facing the beach/hotel center will be quieter as the hotel schedules loud performances at...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Just came back from the Don Pablo, had a brilliant time there. The dining experience was excellent, love the option of swapping dinner for lunch if your half board and the food was amazing !! good meal times too (unlike a hotel we stayed in last yr in Calella). The staff were friendly especially the dining room staff and the kids entertainers. Love the location of the hotel, right on the beach. the main pool (big round one) could do with a bit of cosmetic work on it but overall had a great time here and will be returning.

Liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Lots of People here who have been here a number of times before, easy to see why, Food is perfectly good, staff friendly, Right on the beach, good pools, godd rooms.
Good value for money we went twice once in March then again in May because its good value for a bit of reliable sun, if there is such a thing anymore. !0 minutes walk from the train station at Torremolenos (which has stairs, if you have heavy cases, I am told, get off the stop before and get a 2 euo cab) otherwise with hand luggage and the right train time you ciould be on your sunbed 1 hour after leaving the airport . You can get a taxi but its just a couple of euro on the train.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from the Hotel Don Pablo. Our children were so upset to be leaving because they spent an amazing eight days in the mini club and being entertained each evening. There is activities for everyone including Zumba, aqua aerobics, yoga, archery etc in the morning, which made my week. The night time entertainment is great fun and the enthusiasm from the activities team is fantastic. The swimming pools were great as there were so many between the 3 hotels and again they were well maintained and clean.
While the decor is quite tired like other reviewers suggest it is very clean and well maintained. The staff cleaning the rooms were very helpful and nice. Our room was big enough for the family but because we were on the 9 th floor we had no balcony. If we return again I would certainly ask for a family room on the 2 nd floor with a balcony.

We went half board and were happy enough. There is quite a variety however like most buffets it can be over cooked and greasy. Saying that though we had great choice every day with fish dishes, salads and fruit. My daughter even tried rabbit! I am afraid I thought their cakes and desserts were not great. I think if the quality of food was slightly better they would have very happy customers at this hotel, maybe even a diet section! I have to admit though we did enjoy all ours meals including a great breakfast each morning. Gracia for all the lovely omelettes!

My only major flaw is that at times (apart from a lovely lady) the reception staff are unfriendly and quite off putting. it does the hotel a great dis service as all the other staff are fantastic from activities to restaurant and cleaning staff.

All in all this hotel offered great value for money and I would recommend it for families, in fact I might be coming back next year!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
AntonioStalenhoef, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sol Don Pablo, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear " Aoibheann L",

Thank you for sharing your opinion in Trip Advisor. We hope to see you back here in Sol Don Pablo as soon as possible. have a great Summer.

Yours Sincerely,
Northwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This is a disgusting hotel,the food is awful and the rooms are horrible, i found a sock in my pillow case from the last people who were sleeping in this room. The pool is okay however the music thats played is really to loud to relax in the sun.
The food is just over done chips and undercooked meat.
Do not go to this hotel! The staff tried to sell me Hashish!
EVER.

jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Pablo, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear Harry B,
I see that you were completely unhappy with your stay with us and I am sorry that you found the hotel to be so far from your expectations.
More importantly however, I am shocked by the allegation that you make about criminal activity taking place. You do not specify if this was supposed to have occurred on the hotel property or not but in either case this should be dealt with by the police. I am surprised that at the very least this would not have been mentioned to the management of the hotel. If there is a crime to report I urge the reviewer to contact the hotel management directly.
Again, I am sorry that you did not enjoy the hotel.

Been to Sol Don Pablo? Share your experiences!