“Tainted by being locked on balcony - TWICE!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #8 of 74 hotels in Torremolinos
bristol
“Tainted by being locked on balcony - TWICE!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We arrived at the Sol Don Pablo late on 7th May for a 1 week stay.
ROOM: The room was clean and bed comfy, although two singles pushed next to each other rather than a proper double, so single bedding etc.. I had booked direct and mentioned in the notes we were on our anniversary, so rather disappointing.
The 'sea view' was laughable. If you went onto the balcony and looked over to the left you could see the sea.. The room view was of the apartments opposite.
The cleaners come round from 8:30AM and talk loudly down the corridors, so don't expect a lie-in! They're polite and do a good job though, so can't knock them.
FOOD: We stayed half board, breakfast was good - plenty of choice and all fresh. Pancakes made daily, but no maple syrup!? I mentioned this on the second morning and was told lots of people request this and maybe they would have some tomorrow. By the end of the week, still nothing. Dinner seemed to be on a three day rotation, good food, but a little mundane by the end of a week.
ENTERTAINMENT: Classic spanish hotel entertainment, cheesy but good fun. The evening shows weren't bad and the daytime entertainment team were great, particularly Alberto & Jonny.. top lads, real fun.
LOCATION: Having never been to Torremolinos, I had no idea about location and chose the hotel based on the rating here. It's perfect for the beach, across the road is a beach as good as any along the coast up to Fuengirola. [NOTE: The sea dips quickly, so may not be suited for younger children. The beach at Benalmadena seemed better, at the port end] For town/nightlife though it is limited. If I were going back for a lads/drinking holiday I'd probably head to Benalmadena. For a couples relaxing weekend the hotel offered all we needed.
BAD BITS!: The low points of the holiday were being locked on the balcony - twice! We kept the door closed when going out onto the balcony to keep the air con going and were locked out on night 3. Luckily, after an initial panic I realised I had my phone on me. I got the hotels number from the internet and called down to explain. A grumpy security guard let us back into our room without apology. The next morning I explained what had happened to the asst manager and explained I would be out of pocket due to foreign internet/phone use and my first thought of smashing the window would've been a lot more costly! I was assured that the lock would be looked at and half expected we might receive a fruit bowl/flowers by way of apology, but nothing was offered.
On night 5 I was locked out again! I should've learned not to close the door, but having been told it was fixed thought I'd be okay. This time, with no phone on me, I had no choice but to break the lock. I was so angry that another evening was being ruined. I spoke with the manager who arranged for the lock to be repaired the same evening and let us check out late on our last day.
Based on the responses of the management, security, front office staff and the handyman, I wouldn't stay at the Don Pablo again. It was just about holding up as a possible return visit, but I left feeling let down rather than relaxed. If everyone had the attitude of the entertainment team it would be a great place to stay. As it stands the best I can offer is 'average'.

901 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Enjoyed a great stay last week at Don Pablo. Had room on the top floor with a smashing view looking towards Malaga. Very clean and room plenty big enough. Very goods choice of well prepared foods and didn't really have to wait fr a table even at very busy times as the helpful restaurant staff always located a table. Just down a few step from the pool on to the promenade and beach with plenty of bars and cafes. The only fauly I can find is that a busy times you can have a wait for a lift which you really need to use if you are on a hloor

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor looking towards Malaga
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
AntonioStalenhoef, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sol Don Pablo, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear "Paulphphphhph",

We really appreciate your words about Sol Don Pablo. We hope to see you back here as soon as possible and keep enjoying our facilities and of course: Costa del Sol.

Regards,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying in Sol Don Resort in Torremolinos in Don Marco for 6 days. The room seemed slightly smaller than the Don Pablo room we had stayed in on a previous occasion, but plenty big enough, with a fridge and a safe. We were in room 4039 a high floor room facing the pools. The décor was spotless and the bathroom was very clean, with a lovely powerful shower. Individual a/c unit very effective and not noisy. The cleanliness of the room and the hotel was of a very high standard. Every member of staff we came in contact with was cheerful and helpful. We spoke to many ‘returners’ who have been coming back for many years, which is obviously complementary for the resort. The meals in both the restaurants was of a good standard, with lots of choice. Among the many choices, the only thing we found not so good was the spinach, which we found to be overcooked and tasteless even with the seasonings. How about some peas . The grounds and the pools were kept to a very high standard, with plenty of beds and umbrellas. We took the local train from Torremolinos station in the town centre to Fuengirola 7.80 euros for 2 people return. Very clean and bright trains and only a 20 minute trip.
One word of warning with regard the Beach Bar Los Corales directly opposite the beach entrance, this we found this to be the ‘tourist trap’, charging for dearer versions of spirit than was actually served and for us also larger coffees than was ordered, hence an advertised Coffee and Brandy at 3.50 euros became a magno brandy at 4.50 and 2.00 for the coffee, and a glass of cola was 2.50, we also spoke to a couple of ladies outside that were charged 19 euros for 2 toasties and 2 cups of tea. You only get caught the once, however forewarned etc. There are plenty of other more reasonable places to chose from. We had a wonderful short break at this resort, and without doubt will return next time we come to Torremolinos.
PS: Just remembered, their garbage men come around 6.00 pm clearing containers of rubbish and GLASS, much better than 4.30 in the morning, which happens in some hotels. Well done the management for the foresight in arranging this.

Room Tip: Room facing pool gets evening sun ( Don Marco )
Dear "Hollyday234",

Thanks for your comments. It´s good to know that you enjoyed your holidays and that you appreciated our facilities. We take note of your comment regarding the vegetable provided at the buffet. Hope next time you find a better Bar that the one you found this time, maybe the one at Don Pablo... don´t forget we have two happy hours in three differents bar, buy one get two¡¡¡

Regards.
herts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We traveled as a party of 13 on arrival at hotel there was a problem with one couple obtaining a room was told they would have to wait approx 30 minutes this was acceptable but on their return had found that the room allocated had been given to someone else and they then had a further wait on return again still no room available.. in all they wasted over 2 hours of their holiday.. another of our party got stuck in the lift on our last day was was there for over 25 minutes before the being released not one member of management came along to see if there were alright or to offer a bottle of water as you can imagine it was rather warm inside with 4 other people..when I advised reception later in the evening that I thought someone from management should have checked that they were all ok.. the reply that I got was very dismissive.. . The rooms are comfortable and the bathrooms have been renovated to a good standard... but attention to cleaning could have been better we had a tooth pick left under the bed from the previous occupant and another of our party had a box of tissues..the food in the hotel was not to a standard that we expected from previous reports.. yes you could always find something to eat but not always presented well and at times the vegetables presented for the evening meal were barely warm.. I had a hair in my dessert on my first evening which was shown to management..next morning I had a cracked cup but the waiter was most apologetic
and through the cup straight away.. the restaurant was always very busy and often ran out of the more popular choices i.e. fruit juice and coffee machines ran out of a morning not enough staff on hand to keep those areas up to standard .. but before traveling I did have some queries which were always answered promptly by email .. all in all do not think that this hotel
lives up to its 4star standard.. could do with more staff in and around the hotel to offer help when needed...outside main entrance is being revamped and will look very impressive when
finished but I feel that if the number of staff available to assist you does not increase and that the restaurant in not improved this will let the hotel down badly...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
AntonioStalenhoef, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sol Don Pablo, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear "mikeHerts":

First at all thank you very much for your comments at Trip Advisor. We are sorry for the troubles you could have in your holidays with us. Your comments will be presented to the manager in order to avoid this situation in the near future.
We hope to see you back in Sol Don Pablo as soon as possible.

Regards,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Just returned from our anniversary holiday in Costa del sol. We stayed in Don Pablo hotel, and It was fantastic. Can't fault anything. The hotel is definitely 4* based on its standard, room quality and service. The receptionists are friendly and very helpful, especially the lady in the reception is very smiley and helpful. The views from the balcony is awesome. The room we stayed was specious and spotless. I like the decoration although for some it might be a bit traditional. There are many shops and restaurants near by the hotel. A few minutes walk will take you to the Torremolinos centre. Beach is near to the hotel.
Only thing we think would be really essential was free Internet in the room. The free WIFI in the bar was a bit slow but did the job for us. But I would not rate the hotel down for that as other boxes are ticked perfectly. I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on 8th or 9th floor.
Dear Shafikur R,
What great news that we could help you celebrate your anniversary so successfully. Thanks for writing up your review on Trip Advisor and letting people know a little bit about the hotel. Please come back soon.
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

The Sol Don Pablo is one of the nicest complexes that I have seen on the Costa Del Sol - The grounds are immaculate, the food is lovely, great fresh salads, lovely breakfasts! The rooms are very Spanish in decor, the balcony had a great view of the sea and most importantly they are very clean!
The location is great for exploring or just staying put and relaxing in the hotel grounds! Just a two minute walk to the beach (across the road) and a short walk into the old town of Torremelinos.
The staff are all lovely and nothing is too much trouble for them! Great stay - Thanks to all the team at the Sol Don Pablo!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Khadija T,
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are delighted that you enjoyed the complex so much and made full use of the facilities. We really hope to see you soon back in Torremolinos.
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We were there for a week Apr29-May6. (for anyone wondering what to pack it can be quite chilly at nights) Can't think of any negatives other than free wi- fi only available in reception area, not worth paying daily/weekly rate for it for the odd times we needed it but had to keep going up & down to reception from our room on level 6 to keep in touch with our son in the UK. Good sea views from level 6 although we were on the shaded side(as others previously said, sunny rooms overlook the bowling green on the other side but we were out & about a lot so didn't need to sit out on the balcony).We had a shower over the bath but others told us floors 1-5 had a walk-in shower area, good for canyone elderly or infirm. Plenty of quiet seating areas in all 3 hotels( Don Pablo/Pedro/Marco which are interlinked) and sunbeds outside, with a choice of many pools. Worth going into the other two hotels to check out their decor, public areas and entertainment. There was good mix of entertainment from both outside acts and the resident Entertainment Team who worked hard. As we were at the beginning of the season & a bit quieter,the other two hotels didn't open their restaurants & guests came over to the Don Pablo where it was quite busy but meal times were extensive, there's plenty of food choice, even for a fussy vegetarian like me, and the friendly staff are quick to clear tables and refill food counters. We found all staff pleasant & helpful, our room was a good size, comfortable, and was always cleaned out & beds made by the time we came back from breakfast. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel for it's comfort,staff, food, atmosphere and location right on the sea front.
Anyone wishing to visit Benalmadena/Marbella/Puerto Banus get the lift up to the town centre and find the bus station, (fare to Marbella € 4.44 takes 1 hour then change buses for Puerto Banus)

Dear Seasider2010,
Thank you for taking the time to write your extensive and thorough review on TA. I hope it will be useful for readers and help them make their decision. I'm glad that you enjoyed the hotel so much. I hope that we see you back soon.
Kind regards,

Been to Sol Don Pablo? Share your experiences!