We arrived at the Sol Don Pablo late on 7th May for a 1 week stay.
ROOM: The room was clean and bed comfy, although two singles pushed next to each other rather than a proper double, so single bedding etc.. I had booked direct and mentioned in the notes we were on our anniversary, so rather disappointing.
The 'sea view' was laughable. If you went onto the balcony and looked over to the left you could see the sea.. The room view was of the apartments opposite.
The cleaners come round from 8:30AM and talk loudly down the corridors, so don't expect a lie-in! They're polite and do a good job though, so can't knock them.
FOOD: We stayed half board, breakfast was good - plenty of choice and all fresh. Pancakes made daily, but no maple syrup!? I mentioned this on the second morning and was told lots of people request this and maybe they would have some tomorrow. By the end of the week, still nothing. Dinner seemed to be on a three day rotation, good food, but a little mundane by the end of a week.
ENTERTAINMENT: Classic spanish hotel entertainment, cheesy but good fun. The evening shows weren't bad and the daytime entertainment team were great, particularly Alberto & Jonny.. top lads, real fun.
LOCATION: Having never been to Torremolinos, I had no idea about location and chose the hotel based on the rating here. It's perfect for the beach, across the road is a beach as good as any along the coast up to Fuengirola. [NOTE: The sea dips quickly, so may not be suited for younger children. The beach at Benalmadena seemed better, at the port end] For town/nightlife though it is limited. If I were going back for a lads/drinking holiday I'd probably head to Benalmadena. For a couples relaxing weekend the hotel offered all we needed.
BAD BITS!: The low points of the holiday were being locked on the balcony - twice! We kept the door closed when going out onto the balcony to keep the air con going and were locked out on night 3. Luckily, after an initial panic I realised I had my phone on me. I got the hotels number from the internet and called down to explain. A grumpy security guard let us back into our room without apology. The next morning I explained what had happened to the asst manager and explained I would be out of pocket due to foreign internet/phone use and my first thought of smashing the window would've been a lot more costly! I was assured that the lock would be looked at and half expected we might receive a fruit bowl/flowers by way of apology, but nothing was offered.
On night 5 I was locked out again! I should've learned not to close the door, but having been told it was fixed thought I'd be okay. This time, with no phone on me, I had no choice but to break the lock. I was so angry that another evening was being ruined. I spoke with the manager who arranged for the lock to be repaired the same evening and let us check out late on our last day.
Based on the responses of the management, security, front office staff and the handyman, I wouldn't stay at the Don Pablo again. It was just about holding up as a possible return visit, but I left feeling let down rather than relaxed. If everyone had the attitude of the entertainment team it would be a great place to stay. As it stands the best I can offer is 'average'.
- Also Known As:
- Sol Don Pablo Torremolinos
- Sol Melia Torremolinos
- Sol Don Pablo Torremolinos, Costa Del Sol, Spain
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Sol Don Pablo is one of three hotels in the Sol Don Hoteles Complex. The complex is on the sea front of the Bajondillo beach in Torremolinos and boasts 50,000m2 of facilities and gardens. Guests are free to use all the facilities of the complex including (depending on the season) 9 pools, 6 bars, 2 jacuzzis, entertainment every day and evening and the Delfinus Spa. The hotel is 800m from the town centre with beautiful walks along the promenade towards the port in Benalmadena. The airport is 15 minutes by taxi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Melia, Agoda, Tingo, Venere, HotelsClick and Hotels.com so you can book your Sol Don Pablo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.