“Another gem in Marbella” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 1,148 Restaurants in Marbella
Cuisines: Italian, French, International
Dining options: Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Northeast
“Another gem in Marbella”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We visited Momo with a cool deal which we have found is a great way to try new restaurants without spending a fortune. Great atmosphere, excellent food, lovely staff, good sized portions, well cooked food, something a bit different. Even my picky 18 year old enjoyed his meal, a recommendation in itself!! For a restaurant that has only been open for 10 weeks, it was busy & well organised. We will look forward to returning in summer. Thank you Catherine, & good luck.

1 Thank Familynortheast

Helsinki, Finland
“Great place woth good food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Everything we ate was delicious. Staff was really nice and everything went smoothly. We sat outside and it was really nice.

1 Thank Harri N
Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yummy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

Having been to the top ten rated by trip adviser. This is our favourite. The scallops are delicious and we will be returning.

1 Thank KathleenandDanUK
“Unfair”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The previous review seems very unfair. I have been to momo twice and had a great experience both times. My food was not only presented well, it was cooked to perfection and had great taste. I work on the restaurant business and am often very hard to please. Here I have been pleased. I look at everything, from the table set up to the staff to the decor and I tend to study the food served to other clients. I was very impressed with all on both my visits. I can understand that some people can be disappointed with a starter, or main course or dessert, but to write such a long, cutting review, seems unnecessary. I repeat, I have eaten in Momo 2 times and it was wonderful. I look forward to my next visit.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank martinoftheoneills
“3rd best out of 718 restaurants in Marbella??? NO WAY!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

3rd out of 718 restaurants in Marbella is how Momo was rated when I consulted Tripadvisor when looking for somewhere good to take my teenage daughter for her 1st visit to Orange Square. Absolutely no way! At best, the food at Momo is average.

First...the worst offence: As a desert (or pudding...we are British), I requested the apple crêpe flambéed with Grand Marnier and vanilla ice cream. Sounds good doesn't it? The ice-cream is the worst I have ever tasted in Spain. There was not even a hint of Grand Marnier......if I had been offered £1m to guess which liqueur had been added, I would have said....none at all and thought it a trick question. Perhaps the cook (I don't consider them chefs) forgot to add it....otherwise how on earth would I fail to detect it. It was a very odd crepe....more like a flat apple pie. It was horrible....I left half of the crepe (it was quite small so that doesn't mean I ate much) and almost all of the ice cream. The waitress took my plate away without asking if there was anything wrong. If she had asked, I would have told her. This was the worst desert I have had for as long as I can remember.

Had this restaurant not been so highly rated, I would have given it an average rating but given everyone else (below) thought it so wonderful, my "poor" rating reflects my disappointment. This was our last night in the area and the most disappointing food by a long way.

My daughter is coeliac and they had lovely gluten free bread.....my bread was also good. It came with butter. They should offer olive oil after all, we are in the Med.

Beware the salt and pepper. In the UK the dispenser with one hole is the salt....not here, they use that for pepper. The English speaking German waitress told me that is how they do it in Germany. She did not offer to replace my French fries which had pepper all over them. I don't like pepper on fries, but the fries were bland and fairly tasteless. At least they weren't greasy. Just in case you like pepper, don't use the dispenser with three holes, that is the salt.

Drinks: My mango mojito was superb. I was handed the wine list. I was driving and with my young daughter and so I was the only drinker but I could not order a bottle of wine or champagne just for myself, unless I wanted to be arrested. I asked for French champagne by the glass. They don't do it. I asked for half a bottle of champagne as I would have had a glass from that....they don't do it. I asked for whatever their best rose wine by the glass is. They only had a white, a red or a rose house wine otherwise it is full bottles. I ordered a glass of the house rose. It was very red looking. I believe rose wines should be pink, as in Domain Ott. I wish I hadn't bothered. The supposedly 3rd best restaurant out of 718 restaurants in Marbella serves very poor house wine. There is no need for this. A house wine in the 3rd best restaurant out of 718 restaurants in Marbella should still be very good. Not here.

The Gravalax with beetroot and orange salad, dill, caper and mustard dressing managed to taste bland.....that’s quite an achievement.....even thought it looked beautiful.

At least the Teryaki salmon with mango apricot sauce and leaf salad tasted of something.....the Teryaki was so overpowering that is about all I can say except the salmon was perfectly cooked.

My daughter enjoyed her Rack of lamb with rosemary thyme sauce and minty mashed potatoes but it wasn’t anything to make a special return trip to repeat, which brings me back to......

The apple crêpe flambéed with Grand Marnier and vanilla ice cream.....reads well, tastes awful.

Perhaps it was the chef’s day off? We went on a Tuesday.

I really was expecting to write a great review after reading what others had said in their reviews. These days I tend to only review if a place is great or way below expectations, as this was.

I’ve been fairly unimpressed with most restaurants in the highly touristy area of Orange Square for many years and so I had high hopes for Momo. On the plus side......the restaurant is comfortable.....it is attractive....there is a good atmosphere and the background music is well chosen and adds to the ambiance. The loos (or toilets) are exceptionally immaculate. The entire place is clean and from what I could see of the open kitchen, hygiene standards are first rate and I can’t say that about many restaurants in Marbella.

The food definitely could be better although, apart from the desert, it all looked lovely. Don’t be deceived by presentation.

We would not bother returning. I hope they can work on the food as if they do, they could end up deserving a high rating on Tripadvisor. They should be positioned at around 275 out of 718.

• 2 of 5 stars