“By the beach, near Old Town” 4 of 5 stars

Princesa Playa Hotel Apartamentos
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo Maritimo, s/n, 29600 Marbella, Spain   |
Ranked #20 of 77 Hotels in Marbella
New York, NY
“By the beach, near Old Town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This aparthotel offers the best of both worlds. I spent a relaxing week here in early September. The BEACH is just a few steps from the hotel. You also have easy access to the PROMENADE that runs alongside the beach for miles in each direction, lined with shops and restaurants at various points, and running all the way to the glitzy neighboring town of Puerto Banus (about a 1.5 hour walk along the beach if you're up for it, incidentally). Or if you're like me, you'd prefer to visit to the charming OLD TOWN, with its authentic local restaurants, shops, Moorish architecture, and citadel. It's only about 5-10 minutes walk from the hotel, so you can go back and forth, if you like. In between, there is a large boulevard with more contemporary shopping, pharmacies, restaurants, and other conveniences...anything you need (new shoes? sunscreen? camera? travel agency? real estate agency?), you'll be able to find it here. 24-hr supermarket around the corner (5 minutes maximum walk, I'd say) from hotel, so you can buy any food basics you need, including bakery items, snacks, cheeses, any real groceries you like). All of which comes in handy, as the rooms are equipped with a REFRIGERATOR, STOVETOP, DISHES, SILVERWARE (cleaning supplies were not included!)

My room had TWO TWIN BEDS large walk-in closet, dresser, SMALL DINING TABLE with 2 chairs, a COUCH, TV, and BALCONY with table/2 chairs. I wasn't lucky enough to secure a balcony with a sea view, but I did have a nice view of the hills and palm trees in the distance which I grew very fond of. I'd call it a comfortable, specious budget room with lots of light.

ROOFTOP POOL is nice with good views. By afternoon, I noticed people had staked out their lounge chairs by leaving their towels and belongings behind, but in the morning and evening, I had no trouble finding space.

Staff were friendly and helpful, and they have information on day tours if you ask. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Princesa Playa hotel is truly a great place to stay, for a great price. We very much enjoyed the location and the rooms were very nice. We enjoyed many parts of the hotel including the pool area and game room. We often brought up our own drinks and food to hang outside and enjoy the Spanish sun.
However, we found the front desk people to be of little help when asking for assistance. We stayed over this past Christmas and NYE and when asked about places to eat on Christmas eve and day, we had very inconsistent answers. One person told us everything would be open because we were in a tourist area one day, another person told us (day of) that everything was closed. So, we had a hard time finding a place to eat, as we trusted the first people who told us everything would be open, so we did not plan a head. This was very frustrating and happened on more than once when asking for help or recommendations. We eventually decided it was not worth asking the front desk people for help unless it was to call a cab. We received more helpful information tips from the maids, who were amazing!
If you are a big breakfast person, I would recommend getting the breakfast buffet included in your room. The Spanish people are not big on breakfast unless you are fine with coffee and a pastry, I like eggs and a meat with mine personally. It is the same thing every day, but has some good food on it, and we did not get bored of it.
The walls in the rooms are thin, so if you are someone who likes to go to bed early, and get up early, I would recommend bringing ear plugs.
Other than the bad service at the front desk I would recommend this place to anyone, and I would come back again, since I now know what to expect.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

This hotel could not be in a better location! Right on the beach front; a 2 minute walk into the old town of Marbella and 1.5 hour stroll into the beautiful town of Puerto Banus.

I came away with my mother for a week of rest and relaxation, and that's exactly what we got! The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful. Check in was quick and informative. I was able to purchase the use of a room safe. Miguel on the front desk was incredibly helpful and always greeted us with a big smile every day.

The rooms were very clean and had everything that we needed. There is a tv in the room that has BBC and ITV. A small balcony with a table and two chairs looking out at the wonderful sea views. Beds are comfortable and extra blankets and pillows are provided. A dining table and two chairs are also in the room alongside a sofa. In the bathroom there is a good power shower. There is soap, shower gel and body lotion by the sink. The kitchenette is basic but does the job.

The roof terrace is a must! The lady that serves the food and drink is so friendly and sweet. Most days we would go and sit on the roof terrace and have a jug of sangria. The views are stunning and it's very peaceful up there. We had the chef's salad a couple of times which is yummy! There are steps to the pool from here, which has sun loungers on. More great views of the mountains and sea can be seen from there.

A breakfast buffet is served every day until 11am. Fresh fruit, eggs, bacon, sausages, cereal, lots of bread, coffee, tea, hot chocolate etc etc. It's all delicious!

For dinners we walked to the strip of restaurants nearby. If you come out of the hotel and turn right and walk down the sea front you will come across loads of nice restaurants with outdoor seating. Alternatively you can walk into the town behind the hotel and find restaurants there. We did a bit of both. All the seafood in Marbella is delicious!

Waking into Puerto Banus was the highlight of our trip. We caught the sun and saw the most beautiful views. About an hour or so in, there is a beach hut style restaurant called Victor's Beach Bar with a BBQ and lovely cocktails. I highly recommend it! The sea is right next to where you sit and eat and the food is good.
There are bars and restaurants along the way to stop in for a drink/lunch.
Coming back from Puerto Banus we took a taxi and it only cost around €10.

There are tonnes of attractions and things to do in Marbella and the weather was fabulous!

I would stay at The Princesa Playa again and would recommend it to anyone wanting a quiet, relaxing holiday.

• Stayed February 2013
Orleans, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I spent time planning our one month trip to Spain; this was the first of our 5 stops and I just want to stay here the place is so enchanting!
But first, I wish to thank the many Tripadvisor reviewers whose tips I followed in order to get us here on time and on budget. Our flight landed at about 7:20pm at Malaga's modern airport; we had ample time to catch the equally modern bus to Marbella (EUR6.15 p/person) at 8:15pm, a 45-minute ride away (there are 2 more later than that in February). Then a EUR8 (approx) taxi ride to the Apartamentos Princesa Playa. I had printed the Booking.com page with its map to show the taxi driver so as not to get confused with a hotel of the same name much further away, thanks to a tip from another reviewer.
We received a warm welcome and a lovely 1-bedroom suite overlooking the sea, on the side of the building. The photos do not do it justice! Beds and bedding very comfortable, bathroom with large shower, hair dryer; kitchenette with enough dishes for 2 and small fridge. The only thing missing is dishwashing liquid and brush as one doesn't travel with such cleaning products! (a tip that most NewZealand motels have is a standard kit with dishwashing products in every kitchenette).
Balcony with table and 3 chairs was enjoyed every day and evening; the laundry room is on the 6th floor and tokens to be purchased at Reception (EUR4 for wash & EUR4 for dryer, extra for detergent; handy clothesline on balcony).
Breakfast and lunch restaurant on top floor and lovely and clean pool area. We have the option to leave our luggage here for a few days while visiting nearby Gibraltar (EUR6.90 one way by bus to La Linea de la Conception, then a 15-min walk to the Marina at Gibraltar). (Fyi, EUR21.23, one-way, from Marbella-Granada by bus next week...)
The property is on the quiet part of the promenade right on the seafront, a mostly pedestrian area; there are many people walking, jogging, walking their dogs, pushing prams, a very family-oriented place. A short 10 minute walk to the Old Town; or the # 6 bus to the main bus station for other cities.
I am presently writing this in the lobby as the WiFi does not extend to the suites, pity! However, as there are restorations going on at their own restaurant and tapas bar on the first floor, there is hope that in the near future, WiFi in the suites will follow. However, that is a minor inconveneince and I will not deduct any points for it, there are so many in favour of this nice property!
In closing, my husband and I love this place and would return in a heartbeat. So much to do, so many restaurants and tapas bars! So many little stores in the Old town...The people of this area and the food are to be commended too, it is a very visitor-friendly place and we are recommending it eveyone we know!

Room Tip: The 6th floor, even on the side, had fabulous sea views!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Princesa Playa for 6 nights in mid July 2012. The location was great! Just by the beach and not far from the old town either. The standard of the room was much better than I thought it would be. Very comfy room and quite big for the two of us. You could see the ocean from our balcony, but if you just looked straight out you saw the next building, but it was ok. The sea-front rooms were not available when we made our reservation. We tried the hotel breakfast the first morning. It was nice and a nice view from the roof top. But after that we had breakfast in our room instead, which was very good. A supermarket just around the corner. Not very cheap, but ok. I would certainly stay at this hotel again next time we go to Marbella.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Had a four day trip to Marbella and this aparthotel is in a perfect spot for the beach, promenade and the old town too. Parking is a little difficult and can be expensive as the hotel doesn't have its own car park. How ever the hotel apartments are excellent being clean and tidy but the reception staff are not very helpful to say the least in fact their manners leave a lot to be desired. We went in late January so we didn't use the pool though the pool area looked a good place to use when the weather is warmer. We didn't use the restaurant but there are good ones close by as well as tapas bars too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I went there for a surgery. The Hotel is very quiet and has a super location. The cleaning-team is so nice and everything was super clean in the room. i would choose it again.. Everything was good, the people at the reception are not so nice but everything else is brilliant..

Room Tip: Order Sea view and you will sleep with the sound of the waves and a beautyful view
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Princesa Playa Hotel Apartamentos? Share your experiences!