“Paradise - if it is sunny!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marbella Club Hotel

You added Marbella Club Hotel to your Saves list
Marbella Club Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Bulevar Principe Alfonso von Hohenlohe S/N, 29600 Marbella, Spain   |
Ranked #10 of 77 Hotels in Marbella
London, United Kingdom
“Paradise - if it is sunny!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

After having a city break in Madrid, we were excited to spend some quality time by the sea in Marbella where we could relax and sunbathe. However, the weather did not agree with us and it rained constantly for 3 days. As much as the weather leaving much to be desired for, the hotel itself is beauitful. Full of palm trees and wild flowers, it is magnificent. The breakfast is good, not amazing but not too bad, Spanish ones are never that good! The 2 lunches available were not great though because there is either the small little pool bar next to the small 2nd pool or the main restaurant but unfortunately it was 75 euros per peson!! Because of the bad weather, the hotel were extremely kind and allowed us to leave early without any charge. I think the hotel is beautiful in sunshine, but disastrous in rain because everything is outside and you stay in villas. Overall, if the weather had been good, then I believe the whole experience would be and I would stay there again if I return to Marbella.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
CAGP, Director of Sales at Marbella Club Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time and review of the Hotel, we appreciate you enjoyed the grounds and your comments about the rain are very accurate, the Hotel does not shine in its maximum when it rains, but fortunately it happens only 40 days per year, anyhow we are sorry that it happened during your stay.

On your next visit I suggest you as an alternative for the Beach Club lunch of the Pool bar, the MC Cafe, which is a very nice brasserie open for lunch and dinner where you will find both guests and locals in a very nice atmosphere.

We hope to welcome you very soon and hopefully in a sunny lovely weather,

With best regards

Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I've just returned from a four day break at Marbella Club, without my family. I tended to remain and dine on the property. Marbella Club hotel is an oasis and by Spanish standards, is the best there is. The buffet in the beach club still remains terrific after all these years. In summer the fish restaurant on the beach is very good although booking is essential. Lazing around reading a book can be accomplished: by the pool in the beach club with superb waiter service; on the beach by the beach club also with waiter service; further along the beach by the MC restaurant or by the upper pool which is nearer reception and also provides waiter service. The quality of food, service and accommodation is worth the cost, which some may find expensive but at least you get what you pay for.

I actually believe that the restaurants are all well worth the cost when compared with the best restaurants in the area.....and it's safe.

There is a sister hotel along the road called Puento Romano. One can visit and charge drinks/meals etc to your Marbella Club room. My wife visited last year with one of our children and had an awful time at Robertos. I visited last Thursday evening and was served the worst Bellini ever in their main cocktail bar.....caused by whatever the awfull bottled juice is they are adding to the champagne at the same time as listening to a bad pianist who kept making mistakes accompanying a 4th rate singer who murdered "At Last" which is the theme song of Sandy Lane in Barbados. I then walked down to Roberto's, the hotel's restaurant by the beach and was treated so badly by the Maitre 'd that I walked out and drove back to Marbella Club Hotel. By comparison, Marbella Club Hotel was bliss. I first sat in their outside Grille bar and drank a first rate cocktail with listening to their superb pianist and a very good female vocalist. The staff at6 this bar are wonderful and ensure everyone is happy......in fact, having stayed at Leading Hotels all over the world, this is one of my all-time favourite bars which is as lovely before sunset as it is fantastic in candlelight. I then obtained a table in the Grill restaurant which, although without Roberto's sea view, looks simply stunning and the food and service was absolutely top class.....better than it has been in the past when it was still very good indeed. They may be connected and be sister hotels but I would NEVER stay at Puento Romano......I have stayed once and find it pointless when the far superior Marbella Club is a stroll away. The Puento Romano bar service is hopeless compared to Marbella Club and while I have had good service and food at Roberto's in the past (my wife and I even became engaged there....it used to be so lovely), I no longer would choose to visit due to lowering of standards. Even the Marbella Club guests appear to be a better class of people.

The only problem I can find with Marbella Club is that the sunbeds are not terrificaly comfortable nor are the cushions in the restaurant which is why I normally grab an extra one and double up. Perhaps they are due to be renewed soon? David Shamoosh has done really well in re-invigorating the hotel and I guess he can't replace everything at once. Earlier this year I stayed at the Setai in Miami and Sandy Lane in Barbados where the sunbeds/cushions are FAR superior in every way. That is my main gripe. Otherwise, I love Marbella Club. Concierge could be slightly more together.....previous vist concierge messed up a reservation at Robertos and after five minutes of arguing with a two ladies on reception desk, my wife was accused of making the reservation for the following week.....either Roberto's being useless or a Marbella Club concierge error. Then, after more delay they said, "I suppose we could fit you in." My wife was then shown to a table in corner by hotel pool....very noisy as pool still in use, my wife kept getting splashed. My wife had booked a table overlooking the sea. Lady receptionists refused to move my wife. The food was awful.....really disappointing. I find all receptionists at Marbella Club at front desk and all concierge staff to be really helpful and welcoming although there is one older guy there who can be a little moody.

Guest rooms are good. Grounds wonderful. Staff are happy to drive you around in buggy's if you are infirm. There's a kids club, a decent spa.....it's very nice. Life is too short to bother staying anywhere else in the Marbella area than Marbella Club.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
CAGP, Director of Sales at Marbella Club Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a extensive review of the Marbella Club, it is certainly very helpful for us in order to spot areas that can be improved and not only be proud of the positive sides of the review.

We take good note of the Sunbeds and Restaurant cushins, on our next Board Meeting it will be taken to attention.

With very best regards, we hope to welcome you again very soon!

Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

We stayed at Marbella Club five years ago, and returned recently with fond memories. It was a great place before, but now it is truly excellent. The grounds are marvellous, of course, the pools great, and the location as good as it gets on this coast, but it is perhaps more than anything the overall ambience of the place, and the very friendly but never intrusive service, that really got us.

We travelled with our two young children, who more or less immediately stated that they wanted to move here permanently. This might have been aided by our lucky upgrade to the stunning Julieta villa, with a heated private pool, enabling the kids to play into the night while we had excellent dinners on the patio. The room-service was excellent too, not the biggest menue, but a good selection and very high quality of everything we tasted. And again - the service; how our table outside was converted into a romantic dinner, with candles, a fresh flowers etc in no time. Cheerfully, and joking with our kids.

Further, you have all these minute attentions to details - like hotelslippers and bathgowns the exact correct sizes for our kids appearing in the room.

We didn't use the kids club, but looked into the grounds and spoke to the man in charge - this too gave a very good impression. Next time this will clearly provide some time off. My wife was very happy with the spa.

The general peacefulness of the place seemed to affect our kids, and prevailed with the other guests too, it seemed - we didn't here a raised voice or the like for the duration.

I could go on. We've stayed at great hotels around Europe, but this is really the place we are looking forward to returning to.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent visit to the Marbella Club and for taking the time to share your experience with other travellers.

We are very happy to enjoy that you, your wife and kids enjoyed the Villa Julieta, certainly it is ideal for families and I encourage you to use the Lions Club (Kids Club) for your kids, they will love it!

And yes, kids are certainly touched by the tranquility and peaceful atmosphere of the Hotel...it is not the first time we hear about it, and we love that.

Thanks again, we look forward to welcome you and your family very soon, all the best.

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

Escaping the Uk for a few days away with my daughter we booked into the Marbella club for some guaranteed sunshine, tennis and pampering. Warm welcome, stunning room looking over the immaculate gardens, exceptionally friendly staff (especially around the garden pool), excellent tennis coaching and delicious food. Don't miss the MC Cafe (not a cafe really and has an excellent menu from Sirloin to sushi) or the vast buffet breakfast. we didn't intend to leave e hotel much nor did we need to - great variety in restaurants and bars.
Elegant & friendly with first class service.. Already booking in for a return trip.....

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
CAGP, Director of Sales at Marbella Club Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2011
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review.

It is very nice to hear about your stay enjoying the Tennis, the MC Cafe, etc also your comment about the friendly staff make us very happy.

Elegant and friendly seems to me the right words to describe a place with a lot of history where we try to make our guest feel at home.

We are looking forward of your next stay with us and we hope that it is very soon.

With best regards,

London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

There are lots of positive things to say about the Marbella Club, but overall it just didn't live up to our expectations. We didn't really like Marbella as a holiday destination and we found that the hotel wasn't a great choice for babies (we were travelling with our 4 month old) but I'll try to leave those points out of this review and stick to the specifics of this hotel:

Negatives:
Service - inconsistent. Sometimes great, sometimes extremely disappointing.
My husband and I hardly ever complain about service, and generally think that we're pretty easy to please, but we couldn't believe the way that we were treated on our first morning in the hotel. We had ordered two coffees via the room service function on the computer in our room - one filter coffee, and one latte. When breakfast arrived, the latte was missing and so we politely asked if it could be brought later. When the waiter returned, he had brought another black coffee. We explained again that we had ordered a latte (we weren't annoyed at all - everyone makes mistakes!) but the waiter literally shrugged and huffed before walking straight out of the room!! It might sound like a minor issue but I still can't quite believe how rude this person was. We also found that the staff looked annoyed if you didn't tip them highly.

Limited room service
I'm sure the restaurants in this hotel are fabulous, but due to having our baby with us, we stayed in our room each evening and ordered room service. Before arriving, we had checked whether all of the restaurants would be willing to provide room service, and we received an email saying that this would be possible. Unfortunately this wasn't the case at all, and we had a fairly limited choice (pizza, pasta, sandwiches etc). The food was fine but nothing special, and priced as though it were michelin starred food (see below).

Prices!
Some of the prices were a bit crazy. Two cheese and ham sandwiches, a portion of fries (which were like cheap oven chips!), one beer and a slice of cheesecake came to 90 euros. We don't object to expensive prices when the quality is high, but the prices just didn't match the quality of the food. On the other hand, the champagne buffet breakfast was great - perhaps the hotel just needs to upgrade its room service menu.

The people!!!!
Unfortunately there were some very obnoxious people staying at the hotel at the same time as us. We heard people being extremely rude to the hotel staff, speaking to them as though they were incompetent servants!!! I hate the term nouveau riche, BUT the people here did seem to be the very worst examples of the nouveau riche stereotype! Perhaps that's what Marbella is known for?!

The terrace
Our room was nice and spacious (executive suite) with a private terrace, but it was a little shabby around the edges. The paintwork was peeling outside and dirty in places, and the air conditioning just didn't work. We were constantly boiling (our baby thermometer only got as low as 23 degrees at night!!)l.

Positives:

The grounds - really beautiful and very well kept. Both swimming pools are lovely.

The spa - this was definitely a highlight. We love staying at spa hotels and this was a beautiful spa with great therapists and a lovely hydrotherapy pool.

Location - if you like Marbella, the location is good. You can walk to Marbella in about 20 minutes along the beachfront promenade. Puerto Banus is in the other direction, but a much longer walk (about 45 mins, and we're fast walkers).

Overall, this hotel has beautiful grounds and common areas, but the devil is in the detail - for us, it just didn't live up to its reputation as one of the world's classic hotels.

Room Tip: There's a lovely deli opposite
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you very much for taking the time to review our property in such a detailed manner, all your comments are very welcome and allow us to find and erase the imperfections that could happened during your stay.

Rest assured that we will work on those issues in order to improve the overall perception.

We would be delighted if you decide to stay again with us, thanks again for all the comments and best regards.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

We went in June 2009 and WOW, what a hotel. It truly is beautiful and the grounds are immaculate. The food is amazing and the BC cafe is wonderful. We have booked again for June this year and cannot wait to go again. The hotel is now a firm favourite of ours.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Great news that you are coming back in June, we certainly appreciate that you have choose us again and we look forward to welcome you again.

I would love to meet you personally during your stay, with best regards.

Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

MCH really is the epitomy of a 5 star hotel. It is luxurious, private and beautiful.

Restaurant- only ate in the beach club which serves a lavish seafood buffet which is not my favourite way to dine but it was not the usual "bun fight" you find at all other buffets! Expensive @ E75 per head but worth every euro as the quality of food was 1st class, you sit there all afternoon without any inconvenience and of course the sun shines!

Rooms-stayed in executive room which was spacious and spotlessly clean with beautiful quality linen and all the usual mod cons.

Grounds- beautiful and very well kept

Staff- unobtrusive and very professional

Spa- did not use as it was having maintenance but did look authentic

Overall a true luxury hotel and would highly recommend

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your very positive comments about the Beach Club buffett, the rooms, the spa, the grounds and about us, the staff. We feel very proud about your review.

We constantly work to maintain the history and the service of the Marbella Club and we are looking forward to welcome you very soon.

With best regards,

Director of Sales & Marketing

Been to Marbella Club Hotel? Share your experiences!