“Lovely stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 77 Hotels in Marbella
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Having just spent 5 nights at Los Monteros I can say this was a nice hotel.
We stayed in a junior suite which was large and clean .
When making the reservation we did request a quiet room however due to work being carried out
At their new spa we were woken on two mornings at 8.30am by hammering, I spoke with reception who said they would sort it out however the noise continued until I personally went to find where the noise was coming from, I then returned to reception and had to be quite insistent that they sort the problem out and yes it was dealt with. In a hotel of this caliber this should not be the case, whilst I understand work has to be carried out it should not be at the detriment of your guests.
On other matters the concierge were very helpful with all our enquiries.
The gentleman who sorts the garden loungers was great and really efficient.
Breakfast was fab and the staff always helpful.
The bar manager in the terrace who worked evenings was very knowledgeable and always had a smile.
To sum up we did enjoy our stay and yes we would return

Room Tip: Ask for the new rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Monteros M, Director General at Hotel Los Monteros, responded to this review, June 9, 2013

Thank you very much for your comments.

It is a pleasure for me and the staff of Hotel Los Monteros that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Our principal objective is that our guests feel themselves as if they are home away from home and that you could keep the best souvenir from your stay with us.

Once more, we would like to communicate our happiness for your experience with us and we hope to welcome you soon,

Corporate General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

The hotel is dated and very tired. It does have the 5 star facilities, but the over lasting impression is that the hotel needs to be completely rebuilt. Nothing was bad, but nothing was truly 5 star either and the price of our room was just about acceptable for the standard.

I did request 2 single beds and followed up with another email and was told that 2 singles were available, however the bed was a double format with single mattresses?!! Single beds are separated ok!

This was a business trip and my return flight in the late evening. I asked for a late checkout and was declined, offered a shower room to change, but I noted the hotel was nowhere near capacity and this kind of short service is infuriating. I told the hotel I am a director of a travel agency that generates 400,000 bookings a year, but this made no difference, so I guess I won’t be recommending the hotel?

Room Tip: do they have any good rooms?
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest:

First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for your comments, which I really appreciate; they help us improve our standard, and we consider them one of our most valuable tools.

I would also like to take this opportunity to offer you my most sincere apologies since we did not reach your expectations.

As you are fully aware, we are immersed in an evolution process to become the Hotel where all types of needs are covered, and comments like yours help us keep on making all possible efforts to do so.

I can assure you that we are working very hard to cover the challenging areas that you mentioned and that we are changing some work habits to reach and improve our guests expectations servicewise.

We would really appreciate the opportunity to have you back with us in order to demonstrate you that we can make you feel better than at home.

I remain at your entire disposal for any requirement you would need,

Dusseldorf, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed at the Los Monteros for 4 days. Our Junior suite was very nice and spacious, located on the ground floor with a terrace. The bathroom was great. The hotel is located next to the motorway, but within a nice garden. It is surrounded by a residential neighborhood and the beach club is only a short drive away. The garden is nice, but the simple plastic sun beds do not really fit in a 5 star hotel these days.
The pool at the hotel was a bit heated, but the kids pool was not. I was very surprised by the opening times. The pool was only open from 11am to 6pm. I sometimes had to wait quite a while until I could get towels. Ordering drinks at the pool was also difficult.
The service at the beach club was much better and the beach club is tastefully decorated. At the beach club, the service is on a 5 star level, but you pay for the sun beds.
Food: The breakfast was excellent. We were very impressed by the quality of the food. Unfortunately it was only the breakfast, which was great. We had one dinner a la carte and that was great disappointment. The starters, we had a mussel soup and lobster salad, were ok, the main courses were awful. We would suggest to avoid all meat courses. For the dessert, we could choose from the evening buffet, which was fair. If you plan to have dinner, the buffet might be the better choice than a la carte.
The level of service is mixed. Check-in was a breeze, service at breakfast slow, pool not so great, bar service mixed, maid service good. I had the impression, that the management is not managing to ensure a constant service level. For example: At the check-in, we were informed about a late check-out, we could book. As we had a late flight home, we informed the hotel, we would like to do that. On the morning of our last day, we went to the reception to reconfirm late check-out, as we were told, but were informed, that it is not possible and that we have to leave the room by 12 sharp. I wonder why they offer something, if it is not possible?

Would I go again? Maybe, if i get a good deal. It is a good Spanish hotel, but I could not see the 5 star plus. On the other hand, it is much less expensive than some of the other 5 star hotels in Marbella, so you probably get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the garden wing
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

I remain at your entire disposal for any requirement you would need,

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed at Los Monteros for 5 days for some relaxation and sun. The hotel is beautiful and ideally located to see the surrounding areas of Marbella and Puerto Banus. We stayed in a superior room on a Half Board basis. The food was excellent both for breakfast and evening meal. The staff at the hotel are extremely friendly and helpful and they are obviously experienced staff, used to working in 5 star establishments.
The pool is lovely and there are plenty of sunbeds available to use. The beach is about 10 minutes walk away or the hotel provide a free shuttle bus to take you down.
I would recommend hiring a car as there is not much to do in the surrounding area but for us this was nice as it meant you could access the hustle and bustle of the towns easily and then return to the hotel for peace!
I would definitely recommend this hotel and we are already looking to return in July.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments.

It is a pleasure for me and the staff of Los Monteros that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Ok, so a number of good and bad things with the hotel. Both extremes, some very good and some really bad.

We booked through BA and were promised a junior suite. When we arrived our room was in the old non updated part of the hotel and was certainly not a suite. This seemed really silly as the hotel was nowhere near full. Anyway, the room only had twin beds in it. So we called the front desk, only to be told that was all there was in the whole hotel. If we wanted a double bed, we could pay to upgrade............. I asked to speak to the night manager and was told i was speaking to him. I asked if there was nothing they could do, "NO!" So instead of bothering to argue we spoke to British Airways instead. Low and behold the next morning we were begrudgingly moved to the room we had seen on the website with a proper bed. The room was lovely and really well done out. It just seemed so silly we had to do that to get the proper room.

Breakfast was lovely food wise. Again we got grumpy service.

The pool and the gardens were fantastic, but.....there was very loud building work going on while we were there in the grounds, (we were not told this when we booked). We were out most days due to being in the area for a wedding, had we not been, this would of been horrible. I assume the work is now complete though.

The hotel is clearly a very old grand hotel, and while some of it has been updated (very well), had we been stuck in the first room, we would of been very unhappy.

As for the staff, most seemed grumpy and very disinterested. Those who were nice, were very nice. We did not see any sign of management during our whole stay.

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your nice comments regarding our breakfast and gasrdens, for we make an effort to excel everyday in that area in particular.

Apart from that, we are terribly sorry that you felt that your experience was far from what you expected. We work very hard to give you all that we are, but there are very few days that, because of circumstances that we cannot control, we do not succeed.

We would love to have you back here and show you that there is much more to Los Monteros than this experience. Not for nothing we have lots of wonderful comments in social media.

Kindest Regards,

Fernando Al-Fark
Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We booked this hotel as a part of a one week golf trip. We had a junior suite. Nice big room and bathroom. Our private terrace had two sunbeds a table and two chairs. Location of the hotel is very good near the highway. Marbella is only kms. away. Within 30 minutes you can reach more than 15 golf courses. Some of them are very close to the hotel. Enough parking space. Prices in the restaurants are very high, but within 5 minutes there are enough cozy Spanish restaurants. The bed was very big, but a little bit soft. Service is very good. Every evening after taking a shower we had clean towels. There also is a nice swimming pool with enough sunbeds and towel service. When you want coffee and tea facilities in the room they will charge €10,-- a day. We did not do that. In a 5 star hotel we expect this as a free standard.

Room Tip: The junior suites are very nice.
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments.

It is a pleasure for me and the staff of Don Carlos Resort and SPA that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Coporate General Manger
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We just spent four very pleasant days on a half board package in a junior suite at Los Monteros.

The Marbella area has a beautiful climate in this sheltered area on the southernmost coast of Spain and Los Monteros is well placed to take advantage of it. The hotel has been round a long time and seen many changes with the current economic climate taking its toll here just like the rest of Spain. There is clearly not enough profit to allow the investment required to maintain the highest standards expected of a luxury five star hotel in this competitive market. A new spa in the process of being built however much required to maintain its position is not enough to differentiate it from the rest of the market. More basic hotel management is required like a fresh coat of paint everywhere especially the white exteriors, weeding and propagating all the gardens not just the main public areas, and cleaning out the ponds and water features. Perhaps they are waiting for the spa to be finished but it is this kind of attention to detail is what separates the best from the also rans. Be prepared for the late check in 4pm in case you are scheduled on an early flight because you could be hanging around for quite a while waiting for access to your room.

However, lets not be too critical. Los Monteros is a very nice hotel with many plus points. Friendly and experienced staff help to enjoy the overall experience. Nice gardens and swimming pool make for a pleasant and restful experience. La Cabane is available for those who want the ultimate luxury five minutes away down by the sea, just be prepared for the extra costs involved for sun loungers and expensive buffets. The breakfasts are superb with fresh fruits of the highest quality and eggs cooked to order. This makes it worth getting a breakfast inclusive deal which is usually enough to see you through to dinner unless you have a large appetite. Lunch and dinner options are more limited and many might prefer the bright lights of Marbella and Puerto Banus for a more varied gastronomic experience.

Clients need to be aware of the location which is a ten minute, ten euro taxi ride from Marbella itself, double that to Puerto Banus. There is nothing around the hotel itself, apart from private villas, and some people may not like the relative isolation. For many a hire car would provide the necessary independence. Young people in particular may not be so happy here but the older generation would probably prefer the peace and quiet.

Room Tip: An upgraded room is worth having.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your comments, we really appreciate them.

We are happy that you have enjoyed your stay at Hotel Los Monteros

And mainly, I would like to thank you very much your comments regarding our staff. Our goal is that our guests feel home away from home.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you soon.

Corporate General Manager

Been to Hotel Los Monteros? Share your experiences!