“Romantic week for two...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
€104 (EUR)
Ranked #15 of 77 Hotels in Marbella
Cork, Ireland
“Romantic week for two...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Myself and my wife decided to celebrate our anniversary by spending a week in Marbella. My sister said that the location of the El Fuerte hotel was close to perfect. There are daily filghts from my local airport, Cork to Malaga (2 hours twenty). Marbella is only about 40-50 minutes drive from Malaga's Pablo Picasso airport. The hotel is rated as a four star. That point is debatable. The rooms are not four star, period. The reception is S-L-O-W. There never seemed to be enough staff. There is no free Wi-Fi!! I find that almost unbelievable, especially when you consider that 99% of the restaurants and bars around the Hotel had free Wi-Fi. The breakfast is excellent, with a large variety of fruit, breads, cakes, cookies, cereals, hot meals etc. The hotel is situated right on the beech, with a promenade separating it from the sand. It it very close, 300m, from the Old Town of Marbella, which is fantastic. The "Prom" is about 30 km long, so you can enjoy some lovely walks or cycles if you like that kind of thing. I speak fluent Spanish, so I enjoyed talking to the staff, who are very friendly and helpful. We got a special deal for the end of April; so we considered it good value. However if we had gone just a week later, the price had shot up and became, in my opinion too expensive for what the Hotel offers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
FMARBELLA, Manager at Hotel Fuerte Marbella, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your review. We are very glad to know that you appreciate our service and our location.
Regarding WIFI, we do have free WIFI in the hotel rooms and main areas since 2009. In April we did have 2 days without Wifi service as the installation was being upgraded.
Regarding rooms and rates, you usually get a better rate when booking in advance (that means in Fuerte Marbella 3 months or more) and the best rooms are the front sea view rooms (as well as the most demanded rooms). We look forward to welcoming you soon again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have read that there is another hotel in Marbella claiming the title of "Best Hotel in Marbella" but for me El Fuerte will always be best. There is always a warm welcome for guests, the service is warm and friendly, the rooms are kept very clean. I know that the hotel is aging well and the sun will shine for me whenever I go.
The restaurant is kept up to a very high standard as you would expect from a hotel of El Fuerte's class, the variety is set to cover the taste of everybody, from whichever country they originate, and you will always find something to enjoy. (I have never returned home without at least 4 kilos extra baggage around the waist).
Not only that but it is also very well positioned at the end of the Paseo de Maritimo to give room for anyone to try walking of those extra pounds.
The wine list is long enough, good enough and not overly priced for some exceptionally good local and national wines.
Overall it is my hotel of choice on the Costa Del Sol and I hesitate to recommend it too much as I might have trouble booking my favourite room in next time.
It just remains for me to say thank you to Maria Antunez for the excellent way she runs this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 501 if I haven't booked it already
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your stay (again!) and for your review. The team & I are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

We are unfortunately staying at this hotel in Marbella, Spain. This supposedly four star hotel does not have air conditioning or heating at the same time and our room was uncomfortably hot last night. The whole AC is off and the explanation was that they only have heating during this time of the year. Moreover, the hotel has a cavalier attitude toward their clients, does not even offer conditioner, only shampoo. The icing of the cake was to ask for an adaptor since my transformer 220/110 volts would not fit into a schucko outlet. I was asked to pay a five euro deposit. Of course, I refuse to pay for it and complained to Maria, the manager. She amazingly refused to waive the deposit and she offered to add it to our bill and on checkout to reimburse us the five euro for the amount.

This hotel needs a complete change of attitude and that starts from above. A country whose unemployment rate is 27% cannot afford to lose tourists and I believe this place has made us feel unwelcome. As an oncologist I can only say this is not a place to have conventions or meetings. Will not return.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
FMARBELLA, Manager at Hotel Fuerte Marbella, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us and for talking to me. it has been a great pleasure to have had such a renowned doctor amongst us.

As I personally explained to you, our central air con system allows to have cool air in the Summer and hot air in the Winter. Average temperatures in Marbella vary from 12ºC/54ºF to 26ºC/79ºF. Although we have more than 300 sunny days in the year in Marbella, the weather has been very changeable yet and therefore, we have not changed the system into cool air.

As a matter of fact, as the weather report anticipated, it snowed yesterday in the mountains of Ronda, so our guests can take a walk along the beach in front of the hotel down to famous yachting club Puerto Banús (7km/4 miles) enjoying a pretty white view.

The forecast shows dry weather from 1st. May and consistent higher temperatures so we expect to change into cool air in a couple of days and then for the whole Summer.

The way to serve our guests and have adaptors available at the desk is to lend them against a deposit. Following your request, we offered you an alternative: to charge it to your room.

I am always happy to listen to my guests and give alternatives where possible.
Coleraine, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

After 3 holidays spent here, the standard never fails to please us. Family atmosphere, friendly staff and great attention to detail so much so that on the morning of my husbands birthday at the entrance to the dining room for breakfast he was greeted with Good Wishes and two glasses of champagne accompanied our breakfast!! We were absolutely stunned at anyone knowing, but went on to receive surprises all day provided by El Fuerte. We were mystified------- how did they know?------------Simply by observation of our passports on arrival! How personal a service is this in a large hotel? We were most impressed!! That says it all. We look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: If you wish to have a room with complete sea view , you must stress this and consequently you also h...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
FMARBELLA, Manager at Hotel Fuerte Marbella, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thanks for your stay and your review. We are all very happy to know you felt like this during your stay. And yes, the front sea view rooms are the rooms with the best views and generally the rooms with bigger terrace. The team & I look forward to welcoming you soon again.
Leicester, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Hotel backs onto beach, front of hotel in the town, old town across the road the location could not be any better. This hotel has all it all. excellent food, indoor and outdoor pools, fully equipped gym, large beautiful lawned garden and terraces. Rooms are really good plus use of the free safe. The staff are so friendly and cannot do enough for you.
EL FUERTE your staff are a credit to you the same faces each year always welcoming and so very pleased to see us return - this is the added advantage you have! (although a few new faces this times with one or two missing). Special praise for Juan Antonio & Morales in the bar - they are the very best!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a full sea view..it's well worth it
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
FMARBELLA, Manager at Hotel Fuerte Marbella, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you very much for coming back and for your review. We really appreciate your comments and look forward to your next visit.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is ideally situated, on one side you have the beach and the sea and on the other you are in town. In addition, it is opposite an entrance to the old town and its pretty narrow streets and lots of restaurants.
We had a very nice room (and bathroom) with a full sea view and the balcony was not overlooked. Not all rooms are like this and you must specify.
Food is quite good but as in most hotels of this quality is a little expensive.
No complaints about the service although you may find the hotel petty with silly things. For example as I was not paying €30 per day for additional services like bath robes, I was unable to have a newspaper delivered, I had to leave the hotel and buy it myself. No disaster but petty in my view.

Room Tip: Go for a sea or side sea view as it will be quiet. Other rooms are over the car park and nearer the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your stay and your comments. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our location and your room. It is so true, as you say, that sea view rooms are very quiet although we are a city hotel in the center of Marbella and at the same time on the beach front. The rooms with no sea view can have some noise from the streets. In the rooms giving onto the parking at the entrance of the hotel we have just replaced the old windows by new ones with isolating glass that help keeping the noise away.
Regarding the food, let us just remind you that the price for dinner in our restaurant (currently buffet with show cooking) is 30€ per person. However we recommend you check with reception once you are here, as we may have an advanced booking offer, just like now, we charge 26€ per person if you book your dinner at reception before the restaurant opens.

I am sorry about the newspaper, as we can easily go and get it and leave it at the desk for you, and charge it to your room. Thank you for letting me know.

The supplement you mention of 30€ is the daily supplement for exclusive service in our exclusive floor which includes welcome present and a bottle of cava upon arrival, daily newspaper in your room, we open your bed, leave a chocolate on your pillow and change your towels every evening, we can deliver your continental breakfast in your room with no supplement, the room has a bigger TV, a radio machine with Ipod dock, special deco on the beds, ice maker in your corridor, 12h ongoing coffee break, special amenities in your bathroom, and bathrobe + sleepers. I hope you can try it in your next visit.
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is the first time that we have visited Marbella and chose the Fuerte on the recommendation of friends and we were not disappointed. The location of the hotel is perfect for the seafront and also the old town. Our hotel room had a sea-view and was comfortable, clean and well appointed with a balcony. All of the hotel staff with whom we had contact were friendly, charming and professional; such as the bar staff (Sergio in our case), who remember you and your order from day to day. The restaurant staff also are welcoming and helpful. The facilities of the hotel are excellent; from the swimming pools, to the gym and the large terraces for sunbathing or just relaxing. This is a quality hotel and we will be returning again in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for staying with us in Fuerte Marbella. We are very happy to hear that you chose us for your first stay in Marbella. The team & I also look forward to your next visit.

Been to Hotel Fuerte Marbella? Share your experiences!