“Outstanding Service” 4 of 5 stars

15% off room rate
Ranked #21 of 77 Hotels in Marbella
“Outstanding Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We loved the resort in general.. Beautiful beach club, breathtaking views and paradise gardens. But what it made a massive difference in our stay, it was Ms Pamela who contributed to transform our time there in a dream holiday. Thanks Don Carlos for that experience.

• Stayed July 2013
MAngelesDC, Director General at Don Carlos Leisure Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you very much for your comments in Tripadvisor, which deeply satisfied us. Also, we would like to express our gratitude for having chosen the Don Carlos Leisure Resort & SPA.
Once again, I would like to thank you for your nice comments which I conveyed to the staff, particularly to Ms Pamela. This is our best reward, to know that our guests are happy with the services offered.
We hope to welcome you soon.
Assuring you of my best personal care and attention at all times, I remain,
Mª Ángeles Martínez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed in a two bedroom villa, very modern and clean Villa with kitchenette and livingroom. the prívate swimming pool is very nice and quiet. The service of María the manager of the villas has been very helpful during our stay. Whatever we asked for she arranged e.g. Bicycles, drinks, food, shoes. So if you look for a quiet luxury place to be, don Carlos villas is the place to be in Marbella

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MAngelesDC, Director General at Don Carlos Leisure Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
First of all, I would like to thank you very much your comments regarding to Don Carlos Leisure Resort & SPA and your special mention to our colleague María.
We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Our commitment is that our guests feel better than at home.
It will be a pleasure to welcome you near in the future.

General Manager.
Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MAngelesDC, Director General at Don Carlos Leisure Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Guest,
It will be a pleasure to welcome you near in the future.

General Manager.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I'm going to try and stop this reading like a rant but sorry, it'll be difficult. We stayed in this hotel for 6 nights between the 25th June and 1st July.

Booked a standard room with the view of the hills, which is really nice, with a huge bed. Had to change from this room the next day though, as there was a building site right outside the window and were woken in the morning. Also the adjustable mirror was coming off of the wall in the bathroom and the shower height only made it up to my shoulder (I'm 6'2", which isn't overly tall) We were annoyed at having to change rooms, but did it without any fuss and that was fine.

We were told on check-in that the main Beach Club pool was closed and that it may remain that way for a few days. This was one of the main attractions of this hotel for us, but eventually it re-opened (though they didn't inform anyone of this) the day before we were leaving. It was a really nice setup and very good to use, even for only a day. The staff are really helpful.

The breakfast room is a bit of a shambles and the food isn't great.

Great, free WiFi signal pretty much everywhere on site.

We used the Spa to get a massage, only to be given a voucher at the poolside less than a day later for cut price massages in the spa. Could have saved around 30 euros, so not happy.

By far the worst experience I had from booking this hotel was finding out that I had no accessible money in my bank accounts when I got home. When checking-in, they tell you that they will freeze around 1700 euros from your account. I'm guessing so that they can get the money if you do a runner. I paid the bill in full at when checking out.

I didn't know until I came back home that Expogrupo, the company that owns the hotel, had frozen 2 separate sets of money from my account, totaling around £3000. It was like I had paid the bill 3 times over. It took constant e-mailing (with not a single reply) and phone calls to Spain (at my expense) to sort it out. It took just under 2 weeks after we checked out to get all of this money unfrozen by them, leaving me just £7 in my account for the first week. This is the last thing you want when you just get back from a holiday. They're very lucky that I didn't have a mortgage payment coming off, otherwise it would have incurred other charges for me.

They'll probably reply to this review by saying that they aren't doing this money freezing thing anymore, which they really shouldn't after my experience. It wasn't only the situation I was put in that was terrible, but also the way it was all dealt with by Don Carlos/Expogrupo.

Overall, there are a lot of great things about this hotel, as well as some very poor aspects. For us, it wasn't worth the money and I'd definitely look elsewhere first before booking here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MAngelesDC, General Manager at Don Carlos Leisure Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to evaluate us and to post your comments on TripAdvisor.

I have been reading thoroughly your comments, and I would like you to accept our sincere apologies for what happened with the booking experience. Please allow me to explain. Once the money has been blocked for a second time, the first one is unblocked, but it is not shown in your account but days after. Little do this helps, since you have not cash flow while the movement is made, and for this, we are very sorry, but is part of how the banks work. Trust me when I say that the money has not been unblocked because of your calls or emails, but because it was part of the process.

Once this said, let me tell you, that you are right, WE ARE NOT WORKING WITH THAT SYSTEM ANYMORE, because it generates trusting issues and discomfort in our guests, and as you can imagine, it is the main thing we are looking for. So rest assure, this will not happen again.

I was satisfied to read that you changed rooms without any fuss, and that you were comfortable with it. I am also happy to communicate you that we inaugurated a wonderful new building made, entirely, for rest and comfort. So, we will be so happy if you could offer us a new opportunity to visit our resort and I will be pleased to show you our new installations.

Please let me be at your entire disposal for any requirement you will need.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

I've been in this resort, as every year with my whole family. Once again, I'm pleasantly surprised. I've seen changes in the way things are done at this hotel and I have to say they are doing it right. My kids for the first time didn't want to go back home because they love the resort and the activities they organize. Entertainment for kids and adults guarateeed, you won't regret it. Can't wait to come back later this year or in the worst case next summer. Cheers to all the wonderful team and the hotel management always available to help.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MAngelesDC, General Manager at Don Carlos Leisure Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is wonderful to have the chance to answer a post of someone that has been amongst us for many years.

Thank you for noticing all of the changes we are doing this season in order to make you feel better than at home, and thank you for sharing them with the rest of our guests. Specially your comments about entertainment. It is true that we go out of our way to deliver you different shows and overall entertainment, every day of the week.

We would love to have you, and your family, back very, very soon.

Tehra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We spent 4 evenings at this hotel and enjoyed every moment of our stay. Our room had a wonderful view of Marbella and the sea. It was spacious enough, even with an extra bed. we enjoyed the balcony in the afternoons. My daughter also enjoyed the Kids Club very much. She spent all 3 days with them and was most impressed by the gift she received in the room.
Breakfasts were great and if you do not want to have dinner at the hotel, there are very nice restaurants within walking distance from the hotel.
The only thing we did not like was the cold swimmingpool water in both the swimmingpools. The beach was really great, just a pity that you have a limited number of days that you can get free access.
Natalie at reception was most helpful. We will come to this hotel again.

Room Tip: It is worthwhile to get a room with seaview and a balcony.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor and to share your experience with other guests.

We are happy to read that you had a great time, and that your daughter enjoyed all the services at our Kids Club, since we try, not only to entertain children, but to make the reach all their potential, while enjoying themselves.

Thank you for your comments regarding our F&B services, as well.

We hope to see you very soon,

Bloomfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I came here in July 2013 with my sister and her husband and we only had 2 nights, wish we had a week. I was almost turned off by reviews that said the property was so far from the town and the beach but the resort has soo much to offer it was hard to leave. They have many wonderful resturants and bars and Nikki beach is a few minute walk and was amazing. The property is very clean and beautiful. The staff is very helpful and even brought me a electricity converter within 2 minutes of me asking for it. The beach is a bit rocky but once you get beyond that small part it is smooth. The town is only a 15 minute drive away and Portus Banus is 20 minutes and a great time. This is one of my favorite resorts of all time. Even came with free full breakfast with champagne and free passes to the beach club.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a nice comment. As I can infer, you had a great time! That is what we are aiming for. I am very happy to see we succeeded.

We would love to have you back very, very soon.

Kind regards,

Been to Don Carlos Leisure Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!