“Cold” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Marbella Coral Beach to your Saves list
Booking.com Hotels.com
Iberostar Marbella Coral Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Carretera Cadiz - Malaga, Km 176, E-29600 Marbella, Spain   |
Ranked #8 of 77 hotels in Marbella
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Cold”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Booked this hotel for 12 days during october/nov. It was to be my one and only luxury holiday, since many years and after having worked very hard through the whole of 2012 whithout any leave. Arrived in the morning on a windy day, found the reception, all public space in the hotel (built in Andalusian - open style) and the restaurant very cold and draughty. I had had a night flight, my room was not ready yet, and as a 'gesture' I was give a room nearer tot the road. Exhausted and disappointed and in tears I accepted it, hoping to be able to unpack as soon as possible, book my excursions and (before that) have a good lunch. Went to the restaurant, was asked what I would want for a drink, said with a smile and a sigh: "Coffee" and was told that for coffee I would have to go to the bar! Could not believe my ears. Was this suppose to be a 4 star hotel?
In the afternoon, after having unpacked and concluded that my room was to cold to have a nap, I went to the bar with my book for a cappucino. The bar was even colder! So much draught!

Breakfast was very good, but the coffee served there was flat. I (as well as many other guests) preferred the (kind of) espresso/coffee machine. Very few of the staff serving there spoke English, so even if I wished to make a compliment to the cook, I could not do so. Had some poor meals at dinner, but also some very good.

Since I had wanted to have a hamam treatment and this was not in the leaflet of the hotel Spa, I asked reception whether there was a real Hamam in town. I was told to discuss treatment with the lady in the spa below, but when I came there, she did not speak two words English. How then was I suppose to discuss treatment with her? But as she was very, very kind, I decided to let go of my wishes and take what was available. Another note on this: Spa was hard to find since due to lack of direction signs. Even staff in the bar did not know how to get there via the hotel.

For those who love the color: almost every wall, corner, space, floor, ceiling in the hotel is painted in apricot/brick red; the doors in dark green. Even the miorrors in the elevators are of that color. Whereas my room was as white and therefore a bit boring. Not much of a homely atmosphere. But the cleaning was excellent. Every day, including new towels! Thanks!
The bathroom was a bit of a problem. If you wanted to take a shower, you had to climb in the bath tub. A risky undertaking.

My room was not so silent as some reviewers experienced. During my stay I woke up twice in the very early because of... well. I was not the only one who was very disturbed by that. The second time I heard a lot of door smashing and people yelling at their balcony. The hotel because of it's open architecture and huge vide's, was quite loud and cold.

I'm not sure waht I should have expected of a 4 star hotel, but it surely was not this. Nevertheless there are some good points. And a tip, very simple to follow up without any costs: If people come alone (as I did) ask them whether they want to eat alone or would prefer company. Reserve a table in the restaurant for this. Needs a bit of management, but it would sure improve the feeling of being welcome and taken care of.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Marbella Coral Beach, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Alice,

We are very grateful that you took the time to post your comments. We have read them carefully. Your opinion is very important and valuable. We are convinced that this is the best way to gain your trust for Iberostar. It is our goal to achieve excellence in our daily work and no one better than our guests can indicate us how to improve day after day.

We are very sorry not to have fulfilled your expectations and we take your comments very seriously to ensure that our standards are maintained and developed continuously.

Regarding all the tips you kindly offered to make improvements, we will study the possibility to put them in practice and our heads of the departments involved are informed. We will work intern to see how to organize some of these proposals.

On the other hand, we are happy to read that you could enjoy the effort of our housekeepers and find that everything was kept very clean at all times, we passed your compliments to the staff and they were all delighted to have contributed to your wellbeing among us. Positive commentaries like yours help us to stay motivated and keep trying our utmost to provide the perfect circumstances for our guest´s holidays.

We would like to thank you once more for sharing your observations with us as this gives us the opportunity to make improvements and thus offer all our guests a better service, which ultimately is the goal of Iberostar.

285 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a business and social event. It had be nearly 35 years since I spent any time near the Meditteranean and it reminded me of how much I love this sea. The hotel was beautiful in the stucco open spanish motif. The rooms were large, with tile floors, and open to a nice balcony where you can sit and enjoy the Mediterranean breeze. My room faced the pool, and you can look out over the trees to see a bit of the sea. It is not directly on the beach. You walk out the back of the restaurant, across a little street, that puts you in their beach house, which is direclty on the sea. In front of the beach house if a small sandy beach. We had a catered dinner in the beach house one evening, and it had a nice bar for our event, and obviously available for use during the day.
The breakfast was extensive, with too many choices to list. it is a short walk or 5 Euro cab ride to Puerto Bano, where the "rich and famous" hang out. Lots of multimillion yachts in the harbor, and upscale night clubs and restaurants. Unfortunately, according to some of the locals, the place has been more take over by lower class party animals, frequenting the not so classy gentleman's clubs and cheap bars all along most of the streets. Reminded me of some of the ports I navigated my 4000 ton US Navy destroyer in 35 years ago. I couldn't help thinking how the drunken young European gents reminded me of my crew, making up for lost time in all the bars in every port we hit.

But back to the hotel.. if you like a toned down, quiet, relaxing, luxury place.. perfect service, food to die for, and wonderful memories.. I recommend.

Room Tip: I would pay a bit more to get the room overlooking the pool. I attached a pic of the view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Recently stayed in above hotel, arrived prior to check in time, reception staff were excellant showed us to our room with no problem, reception area, lifts, communal areas, and rooms were so clean. Rooms were spacious with good sized bathroom. Room safe which was a plus. Pool area clean and constanly looked after by staff on a daily basis, we were slightly out of season so quiet, situated on the golden mile 1.60 euros on the bus to marbella town. a good 10 min walk to beach. Very pleased with my stay

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel made ​​me disappointed. It is classified as a 4 star but not quite live up to it. Good location and friendly staff but if it rains, there is nothing to do. It is not in any English movie channels, you can enjoy on Tv, only English information channels. Nice garden and walking distance to Puerto Banus. Good breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Marbella Coral Beach, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear guest,

Although we feel very sad to read that your stay was not as enjoyable as it could have been, we would like to thank you for sharing your observations with us because this gives us the opportunity to make improvements and thus offer all our guests a better service, which ultimately is the goal of Iberostar.

Marbella is the pearl of the Costa del Sol, in the heart of Andalusia. It is an exclusive destination where you can find magnificent beaches, beautiful natural surroundings, and a fantastic range of complementary activities as well as a wellness center SPA Sensations, gym, lounge area with library and Internet corner. We deeply lament there was not enough to discover on rainy days.

On the other hand, we are delighted to read that you enjoyed the breakfast our chefs prepare as also the nice location, friendly staff and beautiful garden.

We hope you had a nice journey back home and that your stay in Andalucía was as pleasant as it could possibly be.

Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We had difficulty driving to the hotel as they had not given us a street address for our GPS and e-mails directly to the hotel requesting it and recommendations for parking were not answered. Reception was adequate - no bag man to carry your items. Room was a good size, but nondescript. They charge for internet, use of the safe, chairs at the pool. Toiletries were ok. Room service dinner - husband's burger was great; my chicken and veggies were not! Very dry and unappealing. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet. Pool area and access to the ocean were top notch. Room was quiet. Nice balcony overlooking the pool and ocean. Would not return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Marbella Coral Beach, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion in Tripadvisor, we strongly believe that listening to our guests is the clue to success. Please accept our most sincere apologies for not answering your e-mails. There must have been an error in the mail address you´ve sent it to because our reception-team lays much worth on individual guest service and our protocols prescribe how to follow up each and every request.

In order to avoid any difficulties on coming occasion, we kindly invite you to contact our Iberostar call center so that we can provide you with the correct e-mail address of the chosen hotel as well as all the details you need to easily find our Iberostar hotels.

It is our target to open our doors to offer a wide range of dishes to sample the best recipes not only from Spain and Andalucía, but international dishes for all tastes as well. In Iberostar we believe that the culinary part of your holiday is very important and therefore we only work with professional chefs, using products of prime quality. We will continue working so that next time we can also conquest your palate.

Further, it fills us with joy that you liked our four-story Mediterranean style complex with bright fully equipped guest rooms and extraordinary views as also the splendid pool area and stunning surroundings.

We do appreciate your comments as they can help us to improve. We hope to see you again in the near future and to have the opportunity to offer you a very enjoyable experience leaving a good and lasting impression.

Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We spent three nights in this hotel in our way back from Aguas Amargas in el Cabo de Gata. The hotel room was nicely decorated in white colours and was pretty big for a standard room. The bathroom was also big and had a bidet. It was spotless and clean> We also had a terrace and a minibar with reasonable prices.
The common areas were also clean and taken care. The restaurant was the basement and it looked a sad place as it was lacking of bright light. We had dinner the first evening we spent in the hotel and we were extremely dissapointed with the choice of food (low cost like tortilla de patata, pizza and things like that) which was expensive, 35 eur per person plus drinks not included. Instead, breakfast was delicious and with a broad variety of things, including cava.
Wifi is only possible under payment and this was another negative point to be highlighted. In our days, internet is free of charge in almost every hotel around the world, even in some coffee bars and restaurants. On top of it, it was something like 7 eur an hour, very expensive.
The staff at the hotel were very nice and professional, even the cleaners. Everyone tried to do their best to please us.
The beach club was really nice, we only used it to have our welcome drink (only two choices: San Francisco, a mix of fruit juices o Sangria)
Puerto Banus was 15 minutes walk from the hotel but Marbella was pretty far and we had to take the car each time we wanted to go there.
The hotel is ok but I don't think we will come back as it didn't meet all our expectations.

Room Tip: Don't go for a sea views room as the beach club will block the views
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Marbella Coral Beach, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for the comments you made about your stay. It is always our goal to achieve maximum customer satisfaction and we reviews like yours are very helpful to know how our guests experience their stay.

It is our intention to make you taste the best of Mediterranean and international dishes at the Alhambra buffet, a space decorated in Andalusian style with Arabic touches. You can enjoy a live cooking show every night while enjoying one of the restaurant’s theme dinners. The new Snack Bar next to the pool also features live cooking and we work hard to achieve that the gastronomy is a pleasure at the Iberostar Marbella Coral Beach hotel. Therefore, it saddens us to read we were unable to conquest your palate and you didn´t like the setting. On the other hand, we thank you for highlighting that you find that breakfast was delicious and with a broad variety of things.

In relation to the cost of the wifi connection, we are pleased to inform you that we´ve passed your concerning remarks to the head office is this rates are established by them on a global level. Nevertheless, we would like to point out that you dispose of our wifi hotspot where you can enjoy this service without a charge during 30 minutes every day.

Further, we are satisfied to read that we were successful in many of our services. As you wrote that you enjoyed the nicely decorated room with big bathroom, the very nice beach club, the spotlessness cleaning and the efforts of our outstanding staff, we know you took some beautiful holiday memories back home, and to us this is part of our goal. We will certainly congratulate our human forces; they will be delighted that you wrote “Everyone tried to do their best to please us”.

Once again thank you for your feedback, we do appreciate all of your comments as they can help us to improve. We hope to see you again in the near future and to have the opportunity to offer you a very enjoyable experience with Iberostar.

Faithfully yours,

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

A good quality hotel: spacious, clean and well appointed rooms; food pretty good,especially breakfast (dinner was less appealing and it paid to ask for freshly cooked meat/fish rather than eat the slightly older food on the hotplates). Pleasant outdoor pool and space. We went in the low season and the beach bar had reduced its opening hours. Still issues over poor free internet access (access in rooms is charged). No character but convenient - easy stroll to Puerto Banus. We thought that the hotel was on the beachfront but it is 50 yards back. Still very easy access.

Room Tip: Our room looked over the garden on the side of the hotel, not looking onto the pool in the middle of...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Iberostar Marbella Coral Beach? Share your experiences!